Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the new windows terminal

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/wi...ot:overviewtab

i don't know how many of y'all spend much time on the commandline (if you don't, get unfucked and learn to computer like a real hardcore's man), but if your experience has been anything like mine, perhaps you have found yourself slowly warming up to windows 10 as the development of this godsend of a product, WSL (windows sub system for lin ucks) allows you to cease splitting your time up between operating systems and instead ramp up that mf uptime while still being able to both 1) play steam games with no hassle and 2) do literally anything related to coding anything with no hassle

as wonderful as WSL is - i recently got x up and running, so i can say i have an honest-to-god linux distro now natively running alongside windows - the weakpoint has always been the terminal. i just mentioned that i can now use xterm, guake, etc so this isn't *as* much of an issue now, but still - it's the principle of the thing, cmd.exe sucks ass and it's a crime that it's even still an option in 2019, despite the half-cocked solution of replacing it with powershell as the go-to terminal launcher. sure, there's a plethora of options out there to use instead of these terribles, but it requires alot of footwork to get to a point of convenience that comes out-of-the-box with any gnu/unix based os (ie, being able to login to a fresh install, press a key combo, and immediately be greeted with a terminal window that has all the requirements you'll need to make it useful)

hopefully all that horseshit is about to change!!!!

i guess microsoft finally decided to say fuk to u @ all the nerds still running 32bit (lol) antiques and other aging products which make the classic, never-changing cmd.exe a requirement, so work immediately began on something a bit more relevant to anything that has been released, literally, in the 21st century

i know this reads like some fucking fanboy jizz material, but bear with me here, i fucking hate microsoft, i fucking love linux, but i love steam even more, and i love good-looking, low-hassle desktops the most. as decent as i've become at setting up an aesthetically-pleasing linux desktop, i also have a social life, i have people who occasionally need to use my desktop, and i occasionally find myself using other folks' desktops. so abandoning windows is out of the question, and i find it extremely pleasing to see that i will be able to hop on a computer and know that regardless of OS, there will always be a quick and easy way pull up a commandline that will render my home desktop correctly when i ssh in to do some work.

it's still a preview build so dont expect fucking miracles, but i am pleased so far with the options they've finally brought in. for starters the font options are no longer restricted to whatever weird method was used in the past to fill the options in (i guess the font had to be hardcoded as a monotype font, which would often ignore actual monotype fonts that weren't generated to absolutely strict standards) so if you're into powerline icons, welcum. on top of that tabbed prompts are now a thing, and with zero setup whatsoever you can switch between powershell, cmd, and whatever wsl distros you might have installed.

i guess i should mention theming, but if you don't use concfg+pshazz for windows, and base-16-shell for linux, why are you even reading this far get fucked and die irl. that being said even the aftermarket options i just mentioned seem to be rendering correctly and accurately so congrats microsoft, you just might stop being the butt of every joke ever here soon enough, especially as apple continues to find ways to be hilariously and laughably fucking backwards.

anyways thats enough pixels spilled for a microsoft product, any more and i'd start feeling actual shame. i shouldnt have to go through and list what are considered standard options for any modern terminal emulator as "features". fucking microsoft. i'll simply state that so far i have found only two issues, and since this is a preview build, and the source code is on github, i wouldnt be surprised to see that both are quickly addressed. the first is pretty obvious: there's still some slight rendering issues, pretty much inevitable with any product in this stage of release. the second is already starting to severely annoy me: you cannot drag the window by clicking the tab bar where tabs are listed, which means to move the window around, you have to grab this tiny gooch of a space between tha tabs bar and the min/max/close buttons, which for most people winds up being a space about an inch wide. 'course i shouldnt even be using a mouse in the first place - the win+arrow key window management is absolutely stellar and its amusing to see pull requests on ghub where native linux window managers are implementing similar features to... lol... "have the same usability as windows 10". but still, it's a glaring fault in an otherwise very well designed product. i guess they had to drop the ball somewhere because fucking microsoft.

without further ado this is the obligatory screenshot of the goods.

in the background i've got the settings open so you can see the built-in themes, but also so you can see that the settings must be edited manually (if you use hyper or alacritty this is a non-issue, and tbh if you routinely edit alacritty settings god bless you, thats a fuckin struggle), and finally so you can see that i am using a most excellent VSC clone called vscodium, which takes the vs code source code and removes all the telemetry/snooping shit that microsoft bakes in - otherwise its identical in every way, plays nicely with all your fav plugins and addons, it's literally no different than vsc other than the fact that you don't bleed data to redmond for whatever weird nefarious shit they must be up to. im pretty sure bill gates was born in argentina.

anyways bbl got to cut my own dick off after this post, i am currently in-between websites and normally this would go up on whatever i had going, or maybe medium, but fuck medium and fuck the idea of my first post on whatever new project i get going, being about a microsoft product. twforums seems like the ideal dumping ground for my proto-autism. end typing now
    NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

sup jerome

Comment

Can you still use paint?
      TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Jones View Post
        Can you still use paint?

internet de la jerome

Comment

Originally posted by Scurvy View Post
          sup jerome
          oh u know everything but the paychecks, heyoooo

internet de la jerome

Comment

jQuery :|

just kidding I love jQuery
            Best> Para is the only guy i know who can put a quarter up his nostrils lol

Comment

i spent a good part of my 20's more or less offline, and in that time java seems to have matured into an integral part of development. i still think of it as some clunky addon piece of shit hassle in the style of like, shockwave/flash, and to that extent it is something i merely deal with, and by now i've more or less learned enough to manipulate javascript, but i'd never consider myself fluent in java or even much of a fan.

might have to switch gears on that belief though, if not to simply learn enough java to figure out how to sidestep the annoyances of having to deal with this morass of libraries that are required in alot of random projects i tinker with. previous efforts to scavenge the few functions i use on the regular have ended in disaster, and it hurts to think about the extra bandwidth i waste every second of the day, simply loading up hundreds of lines of code that will do nothing but sit around in someone's RAM or whatever. nerve-wracking from both an efficiency and a security standpoint

fuck vue and react and all that shit

and this might be counterintuitive, but npm... npm is aight, its the first place i search before then looking for something using pip, gem, cargo, etc. i know it's basically trash on many levels but it's the same issue that facebook presents: everyone fucking hates it, but it's so huge, and it's everywhere, so i find myself chained to it

internet de la jerome

Comment

Yeah man frontend development is totally insane these days.

I've been using React for a while now and JSX still feels wrong to me, mixing your HTML, JS and even CSS all into the same bizarrely formatted file like this. I like the whole "thinking in terms of components" concept though, separating things up into individual custom elements like <Dropdown visible={true} items={items} />, <Sidebar>, <FancyButton>Click Me</FancyButton>.. but it was a simpler time when we just built our HTML document and used jQuery to select elements and manipulate the DOM.

I guess we're gradually moving towards the real Web Components. Will be interesting, but it's all a bit of a headache nowadays.

I like NPM, yeah it's the first place I look too. So many problems come from it though. Getting kind of sick of having to wipe out my node_modules/ directory (for some unknown reason) only to have things work perfectly again after a fresh npm install. Grr
                Best> Para is the only guy i know who can put a quarter up his nostrils lol

Comment

npm = aids. it makes people complacent. it infects your projects with crap which may push an exploit or may become unsupported resulting in you getting stuck when something you rely on is wiped from existence. front end isn't insane, people are insane for following hipster trends. the web still works the same way it always did.

Comment

fuck hipsters
                    Leland

Comment

They have brought in some nice option.
                      reviews rabbit

Comment

aesthetically it;s not bad

but why bother with this when you can just make a vm. I just don't understand the utility behind this. Running windows native with an arch vm is exactly the kind of freedom i need. plus, you can get some very slimmed out, minimalist desktops on windows too. also the screen organizers in ubuntu and arch are dogshit. i prefer windows for this
                        4:BigKing> xD
                        4:Best> i'm leaving chat
                        4:BigKing> what did i do???
                        4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
                        4:BigKing> ???? why though
                        4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that
                        4:BigKing> xD

Comment

Working...
                        X