Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "We're committing genocide in Iraq"

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2004/nov2004/vet-n11.shtml

“When you put your hand up in the air with a closed fist, in the Marines it means you want them to stop,” he said. “But, as we later learned, it’s actually the international sign of solidarity. It has a totally different meaning for the Iraqis—to them it was a sign like hello. And that was just one example of how we were not trained properly to understand the cultural differences between us and them.

“The bottom line is they [the military command] don’t see the need to teach culture and humanity to men whose singular purpose is to kill. And that was just one of the cultural miscues. I blame the top of the chain of command, from the President down to Tommy Franks [the former commander-in-chief of US occupation forces] to General [James] Mattis [commander of the First Marine Division]. They all knew that the military was not trained properly when it comes to dealing with Muslim culture and a foreign land. But that was not our purpose for being there.”

“We actually left all of the humanitarian MRE’s [Meals Ready to Eat] in Kuwait,” he recalled. “We were supposed to give these out for relief, and we left them in Kuwait. They were just for show when the film crews came into the camps. We also had this big show with the medical supplies that we were prepping for Iraqi casualties. We were supposed to get in there and take care of them.

“But I’ll give you an example of what we actually did. After we shot up this car with civilians, I called in the corpsmen to bring in stretchers. They came in and put two men on stretchers. Five minutes later, they brought them back and dumped their bodies on the side of the road. They were still alive. They were riddled with bullets—one guy was just rolling in agony on the side of the road.”

At the time, intelligence reports were streaming in describing insurgents and rebels driving ambulances and civilian cars. In a growing atmosphere of fear within US military ranks, the entire Iraqi population was now viewed as the enemy.

“We’re thinking everyone is a terrorist,” Massey recalled. “Here we are on no sleep, and there are intelligence reports coming in right and left about suicide attacks and the Republican Guard and so on—attacks being mounted against American forces. So cars come driving through our checkpoints, and our orders are to light them up. The amazing thing about it is that we were telling the Iraqis the exact opposite. We were telling them to keep their schools open, keep the hospitals open, to go about their normal routine—‘we’re not here to hurt you, we’re just here to overthrow Saddam.’ So these people were just doing their normal routines, and they were getting frickin’ blasted for it.”

A recent study estimated the number of Iraqi deaths since the start of the war in March 2003 at around 100,000. When asked if this number seemed accurate, Massey responded:

“Yes, but that of course does not include the thousands more who will be dying from disease because of a lack of medical supplies, clean water, or proper sanitation. It does not include the hundreds of thousands that died in Iraq before the war even began from the sanctions. We are committing genocide in Iraq, and that is the intention.”
    I highly suggest you read the whole article, it shed some more light on the war subject for me.
    My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Very powerful and influencing article there.

Comment

And totally unbiased
      Originally posted by Facetious
      edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

There's certainly no logic when Bush goes all out on a hunt for Saddam, but he literally changes his mind during the operation and hunts down "suspecting" iraqi civilians, whilst among all this he expects everyone to remain calm.
        ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
        Failure teaches success.

Comment

love the dude's tshirt

http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

I'm sure there's nothing to worry about really. Not now that Bush is 100% focused on middle eastern politics.

From today's Bush/Blair conference -

Bush: "I think it is fair to say that I believe we've got a great chance to establish a Palestinian state, and I intend to use the next four years to spend the capital of the United States on such a state. I believe it is in the interests of the world that a truly free state develop. I know it is in the interests of the Palestinian people that they can live in a society where they can express their opinion freely, a society where they can educate their children without hate, a society in which they can realize their dreams if they happen to be, you know, an entrepreneur."

and if you're wondering when this might happen

Bush: "I hate to put artificial time frames on things. Unfortunately, I've got one on my existence as president. It's not artificial; it's actually real."

So, we can all sleep easy.

full transcript
            Last edited by GoldenPlums; 11-12-2004, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Showed a few friends of mine on another forum, here is one of their views on it. I thought it was worth sharing because he has been in the military for a bit-

“When you put your hand up in the air with a closed fist, in the Marines it means you want them to stop,” he said. “But, as we later learned, it’s actually the international sign of solidarity. It has a totally different meaning for the Iraqis—to them it was a sign like hello. And that was just one example of how we were not trained properly to understand the cultural differences between us and them.

I haven't read the whole article yet, but that's some BS.

I am in the military and like Merc said, that is an official military gesture.

And I can guarantee that he is partially full of BS.

One of the first things you learn in Basic is to guard your post with deadly force if necessary, if anyone attempted to get into an area that is guarded by a check point you can bet that any soldier worth anything would neutralize them immediately.
              Not trying to discredit the whole article, I just want to get as clear view as possible on the subject, i.e. see it from other people's perspectives.
              Last edited by Liquid Blue; 11-12-2004, 05:11 PM.
              My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

I doubt that I would qualify that as "BS".
                I don't think it's genocide, but it is absolutely war.
                War is ugly, and people die. When you use bombs women and children die. Bush knows this, the guys that drop the bombs know this at the least in a thoughtful manner, if not really felt emotionally. All the way up to the idea of a war in Iraq, I said that they should wait and let the inspectors do their jobs, just try every possible outcome. The instant the first weapons fell, I said that for this country's sake, I hope they find illegal Weapons. After a steamroll and a jumpsuit appearance on a flight deck by Bush, I said that he is deluded if he thinks he's getting off that easy. I've read firsthand reports by people other than American soldiers in Falluja.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3999899.stm

I won't go into what I think this war is, because it's complicated, and relies a large part on what I feel the duty of an honest soldier should be. Suffice it to say that is not the situation in which this world and my nation finds itself today.

As to your friend LB that says it's BS, and that the thing is just a military gesture?
                Tell him the story of the Marines helping during the Los Angeles riots. First though, ask him what the military meaning of the words "Cover Me" means. It means to lay down suppressive fire. When a police officer told a unit of marines to "cover me" while he approached to look in a shop for looting, they promptly laid down about a thousand rounds of fire, before the misunderstanding was realized. The looter inside not knowing exactly what to do, called 911 from the store's phone for help.
                You can also ask him that if mistakes never happen what the definion of "blue on blue" fire means. Though that should be apparent.
                "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

Comment

Working...
                X