Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bachelor's Degree: Computer Science or Computer Engineering, which to choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bachelor's Degree: Computer Science or Computer Engineering, which to choose?

I have been accepted to the Rochester Institute of Technology and will be attending there in the fall. I'm currently enrolled as a CS major, however, after hearing many people with a few years of college under their belt, it seems as though CE may just be the better route. I'm not afraid to try hard, as I hear CE is quite a bit more difficult than CS. Also, I am definitely interested in making as large a salary as possible with a BS. (I won't be able to afford to stay in school long enough to obtain anything more.)

I suppose my quandary lies in the fact that I just don't know which way to go. I love to program. C++, Java, Perl... you name it, I enjoy working with it. On the other hand, I can't say that I've ever really attempted to put together any kind of PCB or mess with circuits or anything of the sort. It sounds like neat stuff, however, I've just never tried it out. So, I don't know if I should stick with what's comfortable and possibly miss out on a higher paying, more fulfilling job, or if perhaps I should dive in head-first into the world of engineering and see where it takes me.

If I do decide to switch my major, I need to do it soon as my orientation is coming up at the end of August with classes starting right after. I have already received a preliminary schedule for my first semester which isn't expected to change much, and if I end up switching over to CE, I'd need to get on it pronto.

So then, after all this babbling, I suppose my ultimate point is... I need you folks to convince me that CE is the way to go. I'm thinking it is, but I can't bring myself to believe it 100%.

What to do?
    jasonofabitch loves!!!!

You have 2 years to declare a major...

Comment

Originally posted by Annux
      You have 2 years to declare a major...
      I am quite aware of that Andrey, however, given the amount of money this education is going to cost, I don't want to have wasted a single cent. By going in undeclared, I'm afraid I might end up with some useless credits.

I'm also far too obsessive-compulsive to allow myself to start undeclared. I need structure!
      jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

If you like programming you should do CS, it's that simple. From what I've noticed of you over the last year or so you seem like quite a messed up individual. You'll fit in perfectly in the CS world, I'm currently a junior majoring in CS at Cornell so I've had the enjoyment of spending more than my fair share of time with fucked up nerd computer science freaks like yourself. I personally don't find CS or programming thrilling, but at least the net result is rewarding. Anyone who can find enjoyment in circuits has problems.

To summarize, if you like programming and have done a lot of it, then by all means you should continue with it. You'll most likely have to take a CE course as part of your CS major anyway, and you can find out if you absolutely love that, then you should consider switching.
        Last edited by Sleepy Weasel; 07-23-2002, 03:43 AM.

Comment

you definately want to take engineering if you want to make more money, CS is not as good a degree as it used to be, the graduates are NOT landing 80k/year jobs anymore. If you think you can handle the math involved, take CE. CS is for chumps.

Comment

oh yeah and engineering is usually very different from like lets say a science-type degree and therefore waiting 1 year before you choose will hurt you.

dont be a chump, take CE if you think you can hack it.

seiZe> <--- couldn't hack electrical eng. so i switched over to math

but if money or a challenge is what you want CE is the way to go.

CS, you'll end up doing really boring jobs that are repetitive and fruitless

Comment

Re: Bachelor's Degree: Computer Science or Computer Engineering, which to choose?

Originally posted by Jason

So then, after all this babbling, I suppose my ultimate point is... I need you folks to convince me that CE is the way to go. I'm thinking it is, but I can't bring myself to believe it 100%.

What to do?
              Realize you are putting your future into the hands of people who play subspace..

Comment

Originally posted by Seize
                you definately want to take engineering if you want to make more money, CS is not as good a degree as it used to be, the graduates are NOT landing 80k/year jobs anymore. If you think you can handle the math involved, take CE. CS is for chumps.
                Just a note to say that it can be done. I finished off my BS in CS just a little bit ago, and I'm making around that. Not to say that my position is the norm, but it still can be done. The biggest thing I've noticed is the actual quality of the CS graduates--if you want to be a CS student, don't rely on the fact that you'll gain all the knowledge a potential employer would require through pure schoolwork. Yes, the degree gives you a springboard for the core of what you'll need to know, but it hardly gives you the full monty.

It's just like any other degree/occupation. If you go above and beyond the scope of the degree, you'll have no problems finding a good career.
                Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

I think I'm going to be trying for a CE major once I enter college. I was looking at course requirements earlier. The CE track just had a lot of higher end math courses plus a few Semiconductor labs, etc.

Someone who knows about this stuff, would a CE be good for going into networking type fields (I'll have CCNA soon, going to take courses for A+, etc.)?
                  Reclusion
                  "That's what's so illogical about being a smurf. I mean, what's the point in living if you don't have a dick?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy Weasel
                    From what I've noticed of you over the last year or so you seem like quite a messed up individual.
                    I love you too. May I ask what it is you've noticed? I don't think I've hardly carried a conversation with you...
                    jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Just do what you feel is best for you!

I went to college for a law enforcement program and i hated i just decided to quit going, needless to say i failed/withdrew form program. But now i am working as an electrician's assisstant and making a decent dollar, until the next apprenticeship spot opnes up.
                      There once was a man from Nantucket.

Comment

You were gonna be a Cop?
                        EvoLd> Roboqueen died again?
                        cool koen> :)
                        PRiMORDiAL> pfft
                        cool koen> not because of a bug
                        EvoLd> Lol
                        Treachery> meh
                        EvoLd> why then?
                        PubAceR> women in power dont last
                        EvoLd> LOl
                        toaster oven reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy Weasel
                          From what I've noticed of you over the last year or so you seem like quite a messed up individual.
                          Oh jeese, someone finally noticed. ty.
                          I fucking own you in the warbird, shut the fuck up.

Comment

Doesn't anyone go for non-computer based degrees anymore?

Comment

Dude, you will have 2 years either way. Just because you're a computer major doesn't mean you won't be required to take core courses and various pre-requisites. This includes liberal arts cross cultural courses and like geology and shit.

You WILL have more than enough time to decide...I just came back from Orientation last week and took placement tests. Don't rush this descision by asking morons on this forum about your future. Go to college, get the feel of it, and talk to people who are in CS and CE. Those are the facts and opinions you should rely on (ever thing of doing a dual major program?).

Comment

Working...
                              X