never do twl in the summer again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• never do twl in the summer again

do people actually like wasting their summer sundays on SS in 2019?

winter TWLs in the future. thanks

it always used to be a winter event I believe? If we do another TWL season it would be good to start it up October time and cut out double regular season games and the losers bracket for an efficient 6/7 week season.
    TWL-J Season 11 Champion
    TWL-J Season 21 Champion
    TWL-B Season 21 Champion
    TWL-B Season 22 Finalist
    TWDT-D 2017 Champion
    TWDT-J 2017 Champion

Comment

that is, enough players remain to have another season lol

Comment

Of course enough players remain. Hockey zone has maybe like what, a third of the active population of TW if that, and we have had 2-3 successful leagues every year without any long gaps or breaks.

one problem: 6-7 week seasons are kind of stupid. Why smash it all up together? There is really no need to be having so many matches on the docket per team on a single day. Sometimes people can't make a day for games... with this format, if you miss one day, you miss a big chunk of the league. It actually really discourages me from wanting to participate in future TWLs knowing that if I want to fully participate I have to give up basically an entire day every single week or risk potentially missing like 6-7 of my team's games.

another problem: 2 pm EST games are honestly too early. Obviously different geographical areas have different cultures, but in a lot of them late lunches/family visits take place on Sunday, particularly in the south. My wife's parents and my parents both go to church, as i'm sure other people's parents do, and sometimes we have lunch with them afterwards. 2 pm games definitely stand in the way of this. I know this situation is not unique to me, at least not in this geographic area.

All games scheduled at the same time: If all games are scheduled at the same time there has to be some kind of official recording effort involved. The league shouldn't be losing or dying off like this, a big reason it probably does is it is hard to drive up interest in the league when everyone is playing at the same time and there is no way to spectate any games if you are ever playing in any of the matches. The website is still missing several key features in this regard, such as a universal/sortable stats page, etcetera. Looking at box scores is not going to do much for people in raising interest in the league.

European bias?: Although many people will say a lot of the current times aren't great for europeans any way, I definitely feel there is a bit of european bias in deciding the times. Most people who game primarily game towards the night any way, and for almost everyone I would say night is the preferred time for gaming. It's certainly when I would want to be playing these league games if I had a choice (8-11 pm est). In Hockey Zone games are scheduled Sunday/Thursday one at a time, so with multiple days I can understand why that would be frustrating for a euro. However, if we were to have alternating weeks at a different time range, since the league is only one day a week, I really don't see how it is an unfair compromise or too unfair to ask them to stay up late a SINGLE day every couple of weeks.

I doubt any of these things will change, but these are just a handful of some of my thoughts on the league and personally I almost certainly won't be participating in a future TWL if things are the same as this season. Sunday afternoons are an inconvenient time and the the process takes several hours every single week because of how condensed it is. If it's spread out there is the option to miss a day every now and then without missing such a significant portion of the league, if the times are pushed back from 2 pm (As they used to be as far as I'm aware) that would go a long way towards helping as well.

Comment

people craved twl after the successful twdt.
          twl has done the classic thing of killing off activity.
          so after twl tw will be dead again.
          if the next twdt, if it even happens, doesn't manage to pick it up again, then..
          there'll be not enough teams for another twl anyway.

Comment

People should stop going to church.
            TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Thrill View Post
              Of course enough players remain. Hockey zone has maybe like what, a third of the active population of TW if that, and we have had 2-3 successful leagues every year without any long gaps or breaks.

one problem: 6-7 week seasons are kind of stupid. Why smash it all up together? There is really no need to be having so many matches on the docket per team on a single day. Sometimes people can't make a day for games... with this format, if you miss one day, you miss a big chunk of the league. It actually really discourages me from wanting to participate in future TWLs knowing that if I want to fully participate I have to give up basically an entire day every single week or risk potentially missing like 6-7 of my team's games.

another problem: 2 pm EST games are honestly too early. Obviously different geographical areas have different cultures, but in a lot of them late lunches/family visits take place on Sunday, particularly in the south. My wife's parents and my parents both go to church, as i'm sure other people's parents do, and sometimes we have lunch with them afterwards. 2 pm games definitely stand in the way of this. I know this situation is not unique to me, at least not in this geographic area.

All games scheduled at the same time: If all games are scheduled at the same time there has to be some kind of official recording effort involved. The league shouldn't be losing or dying off like this, a big reason it probably does is it is hard to drive up interest in the league when everyone is playing at the same time and there is no way to spectate any games if you are ever playing in any of the matches. The website is still missing several key features in this regard, such as a universal/sortable stats page, etcetera. Looking at box scores is not going to do much for people in raising interest in the league.

European bias?: Although many people will say a lot of the current times aren't great for europeans any way, I definitely feel there is a bit of european bias in deciding the times. Most people who game primarily game towards the night any way, and for almost everyone I would say night is the preferred time for gaming. It's certainly when I would want to be playing these league games if I had a choice (8-11 pm est). In Hockey Zone games are scheduled Sunday/Thursday one at a time, so with multiple days I can understand why that would be frustrating for a euro. However, if we were to have alternating weeks at a different time range, since the league is only one day a week, I really don't see how it is an unfair compromise or too unfair to ask them to stay up late a SINGLE day every couple of weeks.

I doubt any of these things will change, but these are just a handful of some of my thoughts on the league and personally I almost certainly won't be participating in a future TWL if things are the same as this season. Sunday afternoons are an inconvenient time and the the process takes several hours every single week because of how condensed it is. If it's spread out there is the option to miss a day every now and then without missing such a significant portion of the league, if the times are pushed back from 2 pm (As they used to be as far as I'm aware) that would go a long way towards helping as well.
              I think the current times are the best possible realistic solution for euros. Yeah, it's a standard that a lot of euros game during night but I dare to say that most of them are drastically younger than our player base. Most of us are old fkin dinosaurs and have increased amount of responsibilies IRL. Personally, there is 0 chance I will play this game after 5pm EST(midnight in finland) during work days. Staying up to 6-7pm EST (1am-2am finnish time) on sunday already makes a big enough damage to my work week. That is however the sacrifice im willing to make and it has a lot to do with momentum of games which run for several hours and there is not much free time between games. Logging in to play 1-2 games at 7pm EST is just not happening for me. I imagine many other euros feel the same way.
              Season 12 champion TWLD / TWLJ
              Season 18 champion TWLJ / TWLB
              Season 19 champion TWLB (C)

Season 6 champion TWDT-J TWDT-B (C)
              Season 10 champion TWDT-J (C)
              Season 11 champion TWDT-B (C)
              Season 13 champion TWDT-B (C)
              Season 17 TRIPLE CROWN TWDT (C)

The winningest TWDT captain of all time

Comment

Working...
              X