Top 100 Basers of All-Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stayon View Post
    Going down on memory lane around 12 years ago, and to correct the excell, I played and won season 10 as well. It was my first lb win, first season I played under by choise, as it was a season I was the most inactive (1h per week) on and realisticly the start of my spider talent decline, and the rise of experience, mental strenght, and championships.

Ironicly I had to morph like a butterfly in order to reach the finish line.

I believe that day I mvp'd the first round (One of my few mvps on final), Pandora makes 1-1, and then on the crucial game..

Cape played for Chief, high possibility of Dwop subbing in mid-game for Cig, A2M, Mega, Crip, Stay, Mikes. Jra played until he lagged, Mega Newbie stepped on to make one of the most ferocious subs ever going 0-10, attacking cram, with game being around of 6-9, until Necro replaces MN.

The game gets caotic with cram breaks and flagroom fights, Cape pulling legend moves and 2 teks, Necro 1 Tek to hero and myself another 2 through under pushes, managing to disrupt Pandora's excellent game control after pounding us on round 2. We nailed the coffin, as per usual with a clutch cram.

In the end, Pandora's organization was not enough for Dice's bigger talent and mental strenght. The lag didnt help and we were not as tidy as they were.

We went on on relying on out talent and experience when it mattered on future TWLBs. Dice's only organized season was actually their first, from my spectactor view, where they went from being a possible huge upset, to a it's an obvious win, on a few weeks. Resembled on a different scale, to Spastic's season 6 win, comming from being a pub squad months earlier, to face and beat behemoths like Diso, Pallies, WR or AS.

​​​​​Shayde did not attend but would of started for Mikes.

Necro was a hybrid between bein 4th shark, starter and 1st sub.

My brother did not attend. Hero was not an option.

Vati and Sarger standed out for me.

Was fun to write a little bit, there's other errors on different teams but my memory would make me more nostalgic. Papi out!
    PUTA I MISS YOU
    CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR BABY PAPI
    YOU WILL BE AN AMAZING DAD.
    LOVE U even tho u axed me off dice roster after me being on it for two years
    - crip
    FIRST BASER TO MVP BACK TO BACK ROUNDS AND WIN IN TWDT-D FINALS - SEASON 24 2021
    SPIDER KILL RACE WINNER 2022
    SPIDER KILL RACE WINNER 2021
    SPIDER KILL RACE WINNER 2020

TWLB CHAMP x4 dicE
    TWLB FINALS MVP SEASON 10
    TWLB FINALS MVP SEASON 11
    TWLB FINALS MVP SEASON 15
    TWLB FINALS MVP SEASON 16 /2017 TWDT SPIDER CHAMPION / MVP (MOST KILLS)
    #1 RANKED TWL SPIDER FORBES MAGAZINE, OVER 40K KILLS IN TWLB (MOST IN TW HISTORY)

Comment

Originally posted by Stayon View Post
      Going down on memory lane around 12 years ago, and to correct the excell, I played and won season 10 as well. It was my first lb win, first season I played under by choise, as it was a season I was the most inactive (1h per week) on and realisticly the start of my spider talent decline, and the rise of experience, mental strenght, and championships.

Ironicly I had to morph like a butterfly in order to reach the finish line.

I believe that day I mvp'd the first round (One of my few mvps on final), Pandora makes 1-1, and then on the crucial game..

Cape played for Chief, high possibility of Dwop subbing in mid-game for Cig, A2M, Mega, Crip, Stay, Mikes. Jra played until he lagged, Mega Newbie stepped on to make one of the most ferocious subs ever going 0-10, attacking cram, with game being around of 6-9, until Necro replaces MN.

The game gets caotic with cram breaks and flagroom fights, Cape pulling legend moves and 2 teks, Necro 1 Tek to hero and myself another 2 through under pushes, managing to disrupt Pandora's excellent game control after pounding us on round 2. We nailed the coffin, as per usual with a clutch cram.

In the end, Pandora's organization was not enough for Dice's bigger talent and mental strenght. The lag didnt help and we were not as tidy as they were.

We went on on relying on out talent and experience when it mattered on future TWLBs. Dice's only organized season was actually their first, from my spectactor view, where they went from being a possible huge upset, to a it's an obvious win, on a few weeks. Resembled on a different scale, to Spastic's season 6 win, comming from being a pub squad months earlier, to face and beat behemoths like Diso, Pallies, WR or AS.

​​​​​Shayde did not attend but would of started for Mikes.

Necro was a hybrid between bein 4th shark, starter and 1st sub.

My brother did not attend. Hero was not an option.

Vati and Sarger standed out for me.

Was fun to write a little bit, there's other errors on different teams but my memory would make me more nostalgic. Papi out!
      did anyone understand a single word of this

coming 4 u

Comment

updated to reflect stayon's incoherent ramblings and current TWDT-B season.
        top 100 basers list

Comment

correction to ogrons original post:

there was TWLB and TWLJ by at least Season 4, around beginning of 2001. P sure this was first season of either. I remember because we, Wildfire, won it. It doesnt get counted as a medal for some reason even though it was the same format as TWLB would be the next season (most points wins). they redesigned the website and switched the letters around, but it was the same league - It was still called TWL. There is a discrepancy here in that WB Seasons 1-4 get counted as part of TWL(D) history even though it was technically "TW(D)L", but Jav and Base S4 are erased from history books.

as shown:

http://web.archive.org/web/200104051...renchwars.org/

The Mind of the Father
          Riding on the subtle guiders
          Which glitter with the inflexible tracings
          Of relentless Fire

Comment

Guess the parameters couldnt handle the lvl of my skills on your list.

lul

Comment

Originally posted by NL>TERMINATOR View Post
              Guess the parameters couldnt handle the lvl of my skills on your list.

lul

I've added you to the list, talked to some old basers from the era, and added the squads you were on to the best of my ability.

For future old basers coming here, just a note: It is a Top 100 list, not a Every Baser to Ever Play list. I've added as many names as possible, but if you haven't played in the last 10 years, never started a final in TWLB or TWDT-B, and never were near the top of a TWLB All-Star voting list on forums 10-20 years ago, you name may have slipped through the net, even if you were a good baser.

I'm sorry if you felt disrespected being left off, that was absolutely not my intention.

Every TWLB player who played x amount of games (on the TWL stats page) from s12-s22 should be on the list. You played 1 TWLB game in that span so you didn't make the cutoff.

Some idiot accidentally destroyed all the stats from s1-s11, so active players such as yourself between 2002-2007 who should have been auto-added based on games played in TWLB, weren't.

That means I have to add players from that era manually, usually through TWLB Finals or Semi-Finals boxscores, All-Star voting, and Best Spider/Terr/Shark forum threads from the era.
              Last edited by ogron; 11-23-2019, 05:35 PM.
              top 100 basers list

Comment

Originally posted by Poseidon View Post
                correction to ogrons original post:

there was TWLB and TWLJ by at least Season 4, around beginning of 2001. P sure this was first season of either. I remember because we, Wildfire, won it. It doesnt get counted as a medal for some reason even though it was the same format as TWLB would be the next season (most points wins). they redesigned the website and switched the letters around, but it was the same league - It was still called TWL. There is a discrepancy here in that WB Seasons 1-4 get counted as part of TWL(D) history even though it was technically "TW(D)L", but Jav and Base S4 are erased from history books.

as shown:

http://web.archive.org/web/200104051...renchwars.org/
                Interesting.

I mean there's clearly an issue of validity and recognition if TWLD S1-S4 are counted, and that is not.

There was a lot of debate at the time about whether TWLB S5 even should count as a medal, since there was no playoffs. The TWLB Cup was the playoffs for that season.

Disoblige won, but for some reason it wasn't counted in terms of getting a medal.

Dabram

You can see, Bram doesn't have a TWLB medal, even though he should have. Light having the most wins in the regular season is worth less than Disoblige winning the playoffs between those same teams, IMO.

I really am not a fan of the way medals have been done (I have 3 TWLJ medals for some reason, despite the fact I didn't earn them.)

If you can find me rosters or boxscores, I can credit you and the players from Wildfire and whoever else with the same TWL Championship points as Light -- half credit -- for finishing 1st in the regular season, but not winning a playoff.

Not sure whether I would add another column and call it S4, not really because it was not credited or called TWLB, but mostly because my sheet is running out of room.

If you can get me that info, though, that would be great, as I would make use of it.

Rab maybe you can help track those down? You're the god of finding boxscores and stats for me
                top 100 basers list

Comment

Any starting point? Know which website it would have been on, or what year?

Comment

Pretty cool sheet. Obviously a perfect rating system is impossible. Did you ever think about putting less weight on the subjective portion? It seems damn near impossible to differentiate by 1% between some of the players like you have done.
                    In game alias: mvp

twdt-b 2017 finalist
                    twlb 2020 and 2023 champ cheerleader
                    twdt-b 2020 and 2021 champ

Comment

Originally posted by afghan View Post
                      Pretty cool sheet. Obviously a perfect rating system is impossible. Did you ever think about putting less weight on the subjective portion? It seems damn near impossible to differentiate by 1% between some of the players like you have done.
                      afghan

The subjective portion has deceptively little impact, because there is a strong correlation between good players and winning.

Good players get recruited by good squads and play together and win. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Here is a sheet with the 'Rank' column on the far left excluding any subjective rating, only looking at achievements. The 'Last' column is the previous rank with the subjective portion. The 'Change' column indicates the difference in ranking after removing the subjective portion.

The Top 34 players are virtually unchanged, all within 0 to 5 ranks difference.

So case closed, we should do it without subjective input, right?

I think that would be a huge mistake.

1) Extreme cases

Glavitik is one of the best spiders to ever play the game, and repeatedly almost won TWLB. Zizu was amazing to watch in his prime in terr. There are a lot of really talented players who almost won, but fell short.

Without subjective input, these guys would get absolutely destroyed in ranking. Glav would fall from #28 to #50 in spider.

2) Co-Variance

The best spider and fifth best spider may play on the same team their entire lives, and have the exact same achievements.

If Trasher and Zhou play on Penetrate every season, they will have the same amount of success. Trasher is one of the best players of all-time, and Zhou was captain and added himself to lines because he was captain, then camped the under bar and streamed all game.

Now, their TWDT-B records would provide some separation, but Veloce didn't play TWDT, so his record would be identical to Zhou's.

Without a subjective weight, Veloce and Zhou would have the same overall rank.

Now, that's an unbelievably rare scenario, with Zhou being captain and LF paying Mega89 to sub halfway into Round 2 of a TWLB Finals blowout S16 are the only cases I can think of, but it is worth mentioning. 99% of players who win are starting because they earned the spot and outplayed others on the roster, and that roster was filled by players who outplayed others to join.

3) Miscellaneous

Finally, there are players who had short primes and could have obviously won more like Royst, and a small number of elite players like Mikkiz who don't play on the best team they could each season, and a subjective rating helps put them closer to where they should be.

Subjective weights just smooth things out. If Trasher and I have the same amount of titles, you want a little boost to Trasher to try to keep him ahead since he's a better baser. The 70% weight seems like a lot, but the difference between someone rated 85 and 90 is only 3.5 rating. A single TWLB title will almost close that gap.

Ezo has a 90 skill rating and is outside the Top 100 with 0 titles and 0 finals appearances, and multiple players with a 90 skill rating are inside the Top 20. The Subjective weights end up having surprisingly little effect in general, but they help fringe cases like Glavitik a lot.
                      top 100 basers list

Comment

At Poseidon's request, I dug up and added the 4 TWBL seasons I could find to the list, with Cripples, Wildfire, Disoblige and -Final- as winners.

I've also added 7 World Cup seasons won by USA West, Canada, Benelux, Benelux, Benelux, Canada, and Canada to the list, along with the 2018 Basing Cup.

I added a Cup section to house them, color-coded Green.

Also added the latest 2 TWDT-B seasons, won by Haze and Spider.

top 100 basers list

Comment

Added TWLB Semi-Finals teams to the sheet thanks to Qan and Turban's work mining the old TWL database. We now have ever game played between 2003-2013 (including every TWD game.)

Credit given to every player who lost a Semi-Final in a season with 8+ teams in TWLB, so Seasons 6 to 20.

For the two seasons that had a double bracket (S19 and S20), I included the team that lost the Loser's Final, which is the main Semi-Final in that format.

Semi-Finals teams are shaded light purple on the sheet.

Also added a bunch of players from Mambo, BasingCrew, whiterabbits, and Elusive to the sheet.
                          top 100 basers list

Comment

hello top 46 baser and top 13 shark here

reminiscing about the time i was traded up straight up for "rasaq" and got so offended that i made twdtb 2015 my personal revenge highlight reel

good list, thanks for putting the work into it and even trying to quantify some of the nuances of high level basing
                            Originally posted by Tone
                            It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
                            Originally posted by the_paul
                            Gargle battery acid fuckface
                            Originally posted by Material Girl
                            I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

Originally posted by PH View Post

reminiscing about the time i was traded up straight up for "rasaq" and got so offended that i made twdtb 2015 my personal revenge highlight reel

good list, thanks for putting the work into it and even trying to quantify some of the nuances of high level basing
                              nimp stop trying to be ph

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

Originally posted by PH View Post

Sweater was better
                                JAMAL> didn't think there was a worse shark than midoent but the_paul takes it

turban> claus is the type of person that would eat shit just so you would have to smell his breath

Originally posted by Ilya;n1135707
                                the_paul: the worst guy, needs to go back to school, bad at his job, guido

Comment

Working...
                                X