• Show
Clear All

• A new way of looking at how to Qualify

I think most of us can agree that:

1) We dislike squads getting into TWL by only playing newb squads
    2) activity and longevity of a squad is important for TWL
    3) TWL needs to be competitive
    4) TWL should have fewer squads drop out during the season

With that in mind, here is a new proposal for deciding how squads qualify for TWL:

One game - 1 point
    One win - 3 points
    One loss - -3 points
    Win Streak - 2 points per win after 7(?) wins in a row
    Ave. Rating - 2 points per average rating over 1000.
    Longevity* - 15 points for every month played after final reset.

*There are flaws with this, see further below. This is not calculated into the examples below.

Here are a few examples of how this new rating system would work, using top-tier squads, low-tier squads, and a new squad: (these numbers are based on the ladder from a couple weeks ago)

Top-tier TWLD Squads:

#1 Paladen has a 1456 rating currently. Ave r=1158
    With 196 games at 1 point apiece is 196 points.
    With 152 wins at 3 points apiece is 456 points.
    44 losses at -3 points apiece is -132 points.
    Current win streak at 10 is 6 points
    Average rating over 1000 at 2 points apiece is 316 points.

Total (Rating + games + wins + losses + CWS + ave r)= 2298

#2 Pirates has a 1454 rating currently. Ave r=1200
    With 101 games at 1 points apiece is 101 points.
    With 75 wins at 3 points apiece is 225 points.
    With 26 losses at -3 points apiece is -78 points.
    No win streak.
    Average rating over 1000 at 2 points apiece is 400 points.

Total= 2102

#3 Sweet has a 1413 rating currently. Ave r=1160
    With 148 games at 1 point apiece is 148 points.
    With 85 wins at 3 points apiece is 255 points.
    With 63 losses at -3 points apiece is -189 points.
    No win streak.
    Average rating over 1000 at 2 points apiece is 320 points.

Total= 1947
    -------------------------------------
    Low-Tier TWLD Squads:

#6 Heavy has a 1322 rating currently. Ave r=1174
    With 301 games at 1 point apiece is 301 points.
    With 201 wins at 3 points apiece is 603 points.
    With 100 losses at -3 points apiece is -300 points.
    No win streak.
    Average rating over 1000 at 2 points apiece is 348.

Total= 2274

#9 Quicksand has a 1281 rating currently. Ave r=1148
    With 191 games at 1 point apiece is 191 points.
    With 117 wins at 3 points apiece is 351 points.
    With 74 losses at -3 points apiece is -222 points.
    No win streak.
    Average rating over 1000 at 2 points apiece is 296.

Total= 1897

#11 Rape has a 1170 rating currently. Ave r=1092
    With 318 games at 1 points apiece is 318 points.
    With 166 wins at 3 points apiece is 498.
    With 152 losses at -3 points apiece is -456.
    No win streak.
    Average rating over 1000 at 2 points apiece is 184.

Total= 1714

-----------------------------

Newly created squad: (let's interpret new as a squad who recently started playing actively in TWLD)

#4Stray has a 1405 rating. Ave r=1202
    42 games at 1 point apiece is 42 points. (let's pretend they have the min. games for TWL)
    32 wins at 3 points apiece is 96 points.
    10 losses at -3 points apiece is -30 points.
    No win streak.
    Average rating over 1000 at 2 points apiece is 404.

Total=1917
    ----------------------------

So based on this, the standings are now:

Paladen 2298
    Heavy 2274
    Pirates 2102
    Sweet 1947
    Stray 1917
    Quicksand 1897
    Rape 1714

In this lineup, Heavy was in 6th place, but has now been moved to 2nd place. This rewards Heavy's ave r of opponents, which is a bit higher than some of the other squads, their high level of activity (301 games) and their good amount of wins (2:1).

So you can see how the new system would in some cases barely change the rankings, and in some cases change the rankings a lot. Of course the other squads on the ladder arent tallied into this example, but for now you can see how things would line up.

With this system, it would be difficult for squads to qualify for TWL by playing only newb squads, because ave R now plays more of a role.

What do you all think? Can you figure out any weak spots? Is there a way to abuse this ranking system?

So far, I think there needs to be a way to reward squads that stay together for a long time, to promote more of the longevity side of things, while still ensuring that they be active.

This is where the issue comes up if we award longevity. Paladen has been around a loooong time, they could essentially get thousands of points. On the other hand, a new squad like Stray should receive a bonus for staying together without dissolving. But if the points are terribly low, it wont make much of a difference for them.

Proposed Solution: Award points for # of years in existence* This would start from the time the squad was created/recreated.

0-1 year(s): 25 points added to total
    1-2 years: 50 points added to total
    2+ years: 75 points added to total

--------------------------------------------

Thoughts? Comments? Hate it or love it? Lemme know.

there is a big problem with this, for example, according to your rankings paladen are first; go check their roster and tell me they can make any impact in twl anymore, a likely 1-9 is what I see. I see what you're trying to do and I quite like the sound of the idea but problems such as paladen can arise from it (they lost all their half decent players, its only a matter of time before they fall hard).
    TWL-J Season 11 Champion
    TWL-J Season 21 Champion
    TWL-B Season 21 Champion
    TWL-B Season 22 Finalist
    TWDT-D 2017 Champion
    TWDT-J 2017 Champion

Comment

True, but that could happen to any squad with or without this ranking system and still have the same result.

Comment

i like this idea it provides longevity and makes squads play the entire time and not form the last second
        Devest.proboards.com

2:Lance> OMG
        2:Lance> BCG is afking in my arena
        2:Master of Dragons> you got steve'd

Creator/Co-Creator of:

?go Prisonbreak, Twcountry, Hathunt, Treehunt, Birthday, Divbase, Defense, Devest, Trifecta, CSDOM, Brickbase, Sharkball, HateBase, Hatetf, Assassin, JavTerror, JavHunt, XmasZombies.

New Maps are in production...

Comment

you're dumb if you think longevity has anything to do with being together since a final TWD reset. that means a squad gets rewarded for being created sometime after a TWL season, wow congratulations on being together for a couple of months, really impressive.

as for the last proposal to reward longevity, it's a joke as well. there's hardly any difference, you get 25 points for being around for less than 1 year, and for more than 2 years (for instance Disoblige with 7+ years falls in the 2+ years category) you get an amazing 50 points extra, which is just nothing at all. the only way to make that work, if you'd honestly want to reward longevity, is to give 50 points for every year a squad has been alive. now that would be a good idea.

Comment

idk last year all the newer squads dropped from twl, there were quite a few.
            Devest.proboards.com

2:Lance> OMG
            2:Lance> BCG is afking in my arena
            2:Master of Dragons> you got steve'd

Creator/Co-Creator of:

?go Prisonbreak, Twcountry, Hathunt, Treehunt, Birthday, Divbase, Defense, Devest, Trifecta, CSDOM, Brickbase, Sharkball, HateBase, Hatetf, Assassin, JavTerror, JavHunt, XmasZombies.

New Maps are in production...

Comment

interesting, might make twl worth watching. no reason if squads can com in during round 8? lol
              (RoboHelp)>This message has been sent by Left_Eye:
              (RoboHelp)>TW Staff are looking for players who play regulary and are friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and who
              (RoboHelp)>show a desire to improving the zone. If you are interested in joining TW Staff, e-mail
              (RoboHelp)>TWStaff@gmail.com
              (RoboHelp)>If you have any other questions regarding this issue, please use :Left_Eye:<Message>.

Comment

Originally posted by Dabram View Post
                you're dumb if you think longevity has anything to do with being together since a final TWD reset. that means a squad gets rewarded for being created sometime after a TWL season, wow congratulations on being together for a couple of months, really impressive.

as for the last proposal to reward longevity, it's a joke as well. there's hardly any difference, you get 25 points for being around for less than 1 year, and for more than 2 years (for instance Disoblige with 7+ years falls in the 2+ years category) you get an amazing 50 points extra, which is just nothing at all. the only way to make that work, if you'd honestly want to reward longevity, is to give 50 points for every year a squad has been alive. now that would be a good idea.
                If you look around, you will notice most new squads dont last more than a couple of months. This is an accomplishment whether or not you think it is stupid and this proposal will hopefully entice squads to stay together longer. Perhaps we could break it down further? ie, existing for more than 1 TWL season, 6 months or longer, etc.

And for Diso, you would receive 75 points, not 50 points, for staying together longer than 2 years.
                Last edited by MirrorriM; 09-08-2008, 11:29 AM.

Comment

I rather we keep the old system, . Though, this doesn't seem too bad. Also, what happens with the squads that already qualified (IE, DICE)?
                  TWLD Champion 2014
                  TWDTB Champion 2013
                  TWDTB Champion 2016
                  TWDTB Champion 2017
                  TWDTB Champion 2019.. my last one.
                  -tj hazuki/hazuki :wub:

Comment

you answered your question already haz, they're already qualified you fuck head.

does this really change the results of standings that much?
                    Originally posted by turmio
                    jeenyuss seemingly without reason if he didn't have clean flours in his bag.
                    Originally posted by grand
                    I've been afk eating an apple and watching the late night news...

Comment

I am pretty sure this is the best idea I have ever heard, and that most of the information input into that system is relatively old so.
                      Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

lovely...i like it.
                        Call me Hadoken cus' Im down right FIERCE

Comment

i like the general idea, it could stand to be tweaked around a bit, but overall good stuff
                          7:Knockers> how'd you do it Paul?
                          7:Knockers> sex? money? power?
                          7:PaulOakenfold> *puts on sunglasses* *flies away*

1:vys> I EVEN TOLD MY MUM I WON A PIZZA

7:Knockers> the suns not yellow, its chicken
                          7:Salu> that's drug addict talk if i ever saw it

1:chuckle> im tired of seeing people get killed and other people just watching simply saying "MURDER. RACISM. BAD"
                          1:chuckle> ive watched the video twice now

Comment

Originally posted by Dabram View Post

Well once again that would give paladen nearly 500 points.. so it doesn't work like that, I think the idea that would work on this would be based on captain loyalty, which is.. for a 1 captain squad, one point for each game a captain has played in, for a 2 captain squad, 1/2 point for each game a captain has played in, and for a 3 captain squad, 1/3 point for each game a captain has played in. And maybe the same for each assistant also, because active, loyal captains are what keeps squads together. So instead of giving the squad points for being around x amount of time, give points to the squads who have the most active captains who have been on the squad for a long period of time.
                            Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Like everything except the -3 for every loss. If a squad has more losses but a higher avg r and more rating than another squad it's usually because the squad with less losses, their average baser is better than the other squads but that doesn't really show the top lines :/
                              1:CrazyKillah> oder if i olny knew u irl u would be dead and i would be in jail

menomena> did you get to see the end of the steelers greenbay game though
                              JAMAL> yeah you dumb fat faggot, was good ending

1:Cape> Why did u axe req
                              1:cripple> I'm very religious, and my new years revolution was to make this squad a better one, so I kept with my resolution and axed req.
                              http://big-dicked.mybrute.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X