Let there be 10 squads in TWLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let there be 10 squads in TWLD

TWLD is by far the most competitive this year. I think this year TWLD should be at least ten squads. Javelin and Basing should stick with top 8.

Before anyone say there isn't ten squads here's what the picture looks like right now:
    Force
    Dice
    Kong
    Spark
    Dynasty
    Cobra
    Paladen
    Flare
    LEGO
    Inducers

I want to see other people opinions on this.
    TWLD Champion 2014
    TWDTB Champion 2013
    TWDTB Champion 2016
    TWDTB Champion 2017
    TWDTB Champion 2019.. my last one.
    -tj hazuki/hazuki :wub:

Originally posted by PrOnEsSim View Post
    TWLD is by far the most competitive this year. I think this year TWLD should be at least ten squads. Javelin and Basing should stick with top 8.

Before anyone say there isn't ten squads here's what the picture looks like right now:
    Force
    Dice
    Kong
    Spark
    Dynasty
    Cobra
    Paladen
    Flare
    LEGO
    Inducers

I want to see other people opinions on this.
    8 teams:

8 -> 4 -> 2 -> 1

10 teams:

10 -> 5 -> 2.5 -> round robin ? pull a straw? rock paper scissor? ?fk logic LOOOOOOL

You've clearly thought this through carefully.
    Last edited by Hero Lrim; 05-14-2016, 12:12 AM.
    President of ?Go wbduel
    Hero of ?go Bug
    Trivia Master of ?go pub
    M3 student doctor (MD/MBA)
    Fide Candidate Master 2262 elo
    Solved over 600 evil sudokus (avrg time 6 mins)
    Future Trenchwars Sysop 2050
    Returning Dec 2017

Comment

TWLD Invitations

TWLB and TWLJ will be 8 spots as there is no competition beyond 8 teams.

The only issue atm is whether TWLD will be 8 slots or 10 slots. These are the 7 squads that will likely be receiving invitations no matter what:

Given the current plan to have 2 games per TWL league each Sunday, 10 slots may not work -- I'll have to do the math with Kado, Markmrw, and Turban.

Dice, Force, Thunder, Kong, Spark, and Cobra all have the best ratings and a high number of games played, they are easy invites. Beyond them, Paladen has an insane 303 games played. They are the beating heart of TWDD, and a perennial warbirding squad founded in 1998. They have a high enough rating and have participated in TWLD 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 -- they will be receiving an invite no matter what.

Beyond those 7, it is hard to say. Dynasty has the best rating and a warbird history, but barely plays. Flare has played slightly more, but fared worse. Inducers has played little and done badly. LEGO has played a significant amount of games but their rating is atrocious.

None of these squads stand out. If there are only going to be 8 spots, there will be a mini-tourny during the pre-season Sunday to determine the final spot. If we expand to 10, we will select the final three based on certain criteria (Rating, Games Played, amount of warbirds on roster, captaining quality, etc.)

Now would be a good time for some mergers to take place between these squads. There are a lot of 1-2 league teams that could be squeezed together to be more active and have more competitive rosters. I don't see a reason why a squad like Dynasty can't combine with Inducers and have Spezza captain the TWLB side and Ravage captain the TWLD side, or something to that effect.

LEGO has proven it's activity and ability to play multiple leagues, but it could use an influx of warbird talent -- looking at their warbird statistics, their entire line is awful, and their 89 games don't justify inclusion on that basis since their only decent wb is someone named Doughnut, and joemama is the worst warbirding cap in history. LEGO has to be more than simply a platform for joemoma to play himself in every game.
      top 100 basers list

Comment

enlighten me on how you are going to tackle the 10 -> 5 -> x -> y -> z dilemma that a 10-team format would ensue.

10+ games of round robin, award bye games and essentially corrupt the tournament, rock-paper-scissor, randomly throw in another team when it's down to 3 teams? oh... wait that's not even possible with a 10-team format.

let's just make it super complicated.
        President of ?Go wbduel
        Hero of ?go Bug
        Trivia Master of ?go pub
        Returning Dec 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Hero Lrim View Post
          enlighten me on how you are going to tackle the 10 -> 5 -> x -> y -> z dilemma that a 10-team format would ensue.

10+ games of round robin, award bye games and essentially corrupt the tournament, rock-paper-scissor, randomly throw in another team when it's down to 3 teams? oh... wait that's not even possible with a 10-team format.

let's just make it super complicated.

?

you just accept 4, 6 (with 1st round byes for top two teams), or 8 to the playoffs -- you never allow odd numbers to enter the playoffs. multiple TWL seasons have featured 9 or 10 squads in a league. the issue is whether 1) enough squads have proven themselves enough to warrant inclusion into TWLD 2) how it affects the double-games schedule planned.

but honestly, the concern is mostly about how it would affect the schedule. my preference would be keeping it simpler and having 8/8/8 with some of these bottom-tier TWDD squads merging into others.
          top 100 basers list

Comment

Originally posted by Claushouse View Post
            ?

you just accept 4, 6 (with 1st round byes for top two teams), or 8 to the playoffs -- you never allow odd numbers to enter the playoffs. multiple TWL seasons have featured 9 or 10 squads in a league. the issue is whether 1) enough squads have proven themselves enough to warrant inclusion into TWLD 2) how it affects the double-games schedule planned.

but honestly, the concern is mostly about how it would affect the schedule. my preference would be keeping it simpler and having 8/8/8 with some of these bottom-tier TWDD squads merging into others.
            What kind of championship offers byes to the top 2 teams? Medals should be earned, not freely given. Pretty much defeats the purpose of a 10-team format with byes. Yes, it's an odd format so everything is essentially screwed.
            President of ?Go wbduel
            Hero of ?go Bug
            Trivia Master of ?go pub
            Returning Dec 2017

Comment

Sounds a bit controversial to me, if you first plan to set stirck rules for rosters, then you suggest to merge with others. If you make it 8, all the remaining games in TWD season will have a meaning (for those squads in consideration), and their twl might just be right now. For those players who dont get into but desperately want to ld, they might get another opporunity in some of the qualified squads.

But you do need to make a big announcement of it, and clear the uncertainness if you dont use rating as the only measure of qualification.

Comment

Originally posted by Igor View Post
                Given the current plan to have 2 games per TWL league each Sunday, 10 slots may not work
                You could always just keep the league the way it was before last season and have one league match per week. Go and pick up another hobby to do on the weekend. Who wants to sit on SS for 8 hours on a Sunday in the Summer?

Comment

Originally posted by Pressure View Post
                  You could always just keep the league the way it was before last season and have one league match per week. Go and pick up another hobby to do on the weekend. Who wants to sit on SS for 8 hours on a Sunday in the Summer?
                  Basically everyone who is currently playing the game.
                  President of ?Go wbduel
                  Hero of ?go Bug
                  Trivia Master of ?go pub
                  Returning Dec 2017

Comment

have given my opinion on the matter to the current TWL operators, and will further discuss in detail today .. hopefully. either way something needs to be announced as soon as possible for the sake of the league.

Comment

If you go off rating lego still doesnt make it in the top 10 xD But i bet they show up to everygame. Will squads like flare? Which squad will be able to go the whole season, should probably be taken into consideration. My opinion

Comment

+1 olde
                        "Action is the real measure of intelligence. "
                        Napoleon Hill

wiibimbo>I'm gonna take u out next week for a beer and pizza at Leonardo's...no homo tho! I prefer big boobs
                        Dral>I can get implants

Comment

Originally posted by olde View Post
                          If you go off rating lego still doesnt make it in the top 10 xD But i bet they show up to everygame. Will squads like flare? Which squad will be able to go the whole season, should probably be taken into consideration. My opinion

yes hun, we play much and we will show up, but we arent the best, maybe 3/10 but we are cool and kind.

Comment

Yeah, why limit the only really active league based on the smaller leagues, this has made sense for years.
                            Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

should be 6 squads in each league.shorter and more competitive and interesting.
                              1:waven> u challenge
                              1:waven> if i challenge it looks too scary

Originally posted by MHz
                              Hope you contract ebola from your, no doubt cheap, Easter Egg, you fucking shit-jav, pug-faced cunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X