Another Basing Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Basing Issue

Okay, so anyways, I've given this a lot of thought and I know that some people hate the idea, mostly terriers, but here it is, I'm always up for a debate.

I'm not sure how many people are for or against weakening the cram, this would definitely help to weaken it, but more importantly, it is my belief that my proposed change would dramatically effect, for the better, the entertainment level of basing games (for all but terriers perhaps).

The issue that I am addressing here is that of terrier bursts (not like there are any other kind in TW mind you), a bouncing, kill in 1 hit multi-bullet spray that totally effects the outcome of a basing game.

First of all, what is the purpose of a burst? I've been told by terrier experts that they are used for a terr's own self-defense. Honestly though, after watching a base game, the ratio of bursts used for defense compared to offence is very far below 1:1. I don't buy this defense at all, and I do believe that there would be very little effect on how often a terr dies if the effect of bursts was minimized in a basing game.

A terr already has two sharks and four spiders to protect it, not to mention a portal in an arena where there is no anti-warp. Moreover, a burst is not a repel; it will not going to stop a warbird bullet, a jav bomb, a piece of shrap or another terr's burst from hitting a terrier. To go a little further, who said a terr dying is a bad thing? While I recognize that a terr's death does, of course, it suck for the team the terr is on, this would probably make for more of a flag room turnover, that is an alternation of the team defending it.

To be completely honest however, for two separate reasons, I really do not think that terrier deaths would dramatically increase if bursts were taken out of the game. First of all, there are a large percentage of terr deaths that are caused by bursts. Below is a link to the results of the first half of the TWLB final. Nine of the twenty-nine terr deaths that game were from a burst that is nearly a third of the terrier deaths that game.

http://www.twleagues.org/?module=twl...nMatchID=23235

While I do recognize that the actual percentage of terr deaths resulting from a burst does have a huge deviance from game to game, the potential for such a ratio speaks for itself.

Next; and I admit to doing this a lot, a terrier may focus too much on doing a burst shot and, in fact, end up dying in the process. While this is more their fault than that of a burst, it is still very arguable that terr deaths would in fact decrease if the effect of a burst was minimized.

Moving on to the aforementioned effect on the cram, which I do believe the majority of players think needs to be weakened, terr bursts are one of the most powerful aspects of a cram. There are many occasions where an attacking team will kill the two sharks and have an opening to get into the flag room. This is, however, combated by a defending terr flying across the entrance and bursting off three of the aforementioned bouncing bullets that kill in one hit. In a game of 8 people a side, the potential for three players to die at once does have a huge effect on the ability of a team to operate cohesively. There are many opportunities for an attacking team to gain the flag room that are, in fact, thwarted by a burst.

With that aspect of the cram taken care of, I next want to address the actual execution of a cram, and the effect that a burst has on it. First of all, an attacking terr can only get one third of it's burst bullets into the flag room, and only from a small collection of shots that are both common knowledge to learned basers and easily repelled, so the advantage of a burst for an attacking terr is, essentially, null. On the other hand, the advantage provided to a defending terr is quite noticeable. With the current base map as it is, a defending terr has a multitude of positions to shoot at least two of the three burst bullets at the attacking team, and this is an offensive tactic, not defensive.

I say this from experience, and especially because a repel does not effect a burst as much as it does bullets and bombs, the burst just bounces back. If said defending terr shoots three bursts into the doorstep of the flag room, they will still hit the attacking team, there is not nearly enough room in there for them to expire on their own, they bounce around until they hit something, potentially hitting the aforementioned three eighths of the attacking team. This is not a defensive tactic for the terr, and it just slows down the attacking team because they cannot do anything about it but waste essential repels. Take bursts away from terriers and you take this aspect of the cram away from a defending team.

The fact that lag is so prevalent in base matches, and thus, different players (most importantly the sharks) see different things than the rest of their team, there cannot be a cohesive defense against said bursts. This adds to effect that a burst by a terr in any situation can have.

Before I move to my argument on bursts effecting flag room battles, I must acknowledge something. Until very recently I referred to the majority of bursts as being the product of luck. While there is no denying that a terr cannot foresee the effect of their burst, I do no recognize that most terrs do aim their burst shots at the opposing team, namely the opposing terrier. I will not spend time reiterating how this actually leads to more terr deaths, as the proof is above. However, I will not cease to reiterate that this is not a defensive tactic. Furthermore, I will go so far as to say that a terr has no purpose effecting a flag room battle while hiding in a corner, the terrier's purpose is to be a ship to attach to, not a major offensive weapon.

While I do not deny the benefits of a terr having a burst one-on-one with an opposing spider, I do not see the reason that this is allowed. Whether a terr has a burst or not is largely based on chance, and the fact that bursts are far too easily greened, and because of this terrs do not save their bursts for such situations, they use them for offence. Furthermore, if an opposing spider goes through the other seven players on the terr's team, including two ships with three repels each, and the terr dies, the problem is not that the terr did not have a burst; it is that there was some kind of mishap in the mechanics of the team. To go even further, a terr has a portal if this situation does actually happen. If a terr has to rely more on it's portal to save it's life, maybe terrs are less prone to sit in that cramming position, from which they have to portal out of to escape a jav bomb that gets through their team, further reducing the effectiveness, or frequency in this case, of the cram. This last point is a hypothetical, and I will not pretend to know how the majority of terr players will respond.

The counter arguments that I have heard, ignoring the ones addressed above, all hold just as little weight as the ones mentioned above.

The most prevalent argument that I have seen is that taking the current burst away from a terr weakens the ship too much. To the contrary, it is my belief that, in an arena that has no anti-warp, the only ship that has a portal, the only ship that is attachable, is already the strongest ship in the game. Further, a terr does have a multifire spread of level one bullets that can go far in neutralizing a close range ships.

After careful consideration, the only other argument that seems to hold any ground against removing the current burst from a base terrs arsenal is that "that is how it is in pub", and indeed it is. However, the rest of the ships are not the same. There is no maximum in pub pertaining to how many sharks you have to repel the terr's bursts. There are also those mini weasels that keep the terr a lot more responsible for the entire flag room. As well, I don't think that I need to re-iterate the importance that the purchasable anti-warp has in balancing out the advantages of a terr, and neither do I think that I need to underline the importance of a levi, or the lack thereof in base games. However, I will point out that all of the above differences between pub and base games, along with any that I am missing, disrupt the balance that the eight ships have in the Trench Wars public arenas.

To summarize, I will provide a few suggestions that I have in helping to eliminate what I believe to be an imbalance, and thus a detraction from the entertainment value of base games for all but one eighth of the players involved. My propositions are listed in declining order (from the largest effect to the smallest) by the magnitude that I believe they will affect current base games. With that said, I do hope that you will all take these suggestions seriously and give me whatever constructive feedback you may have.

1. Remove bursts from basing games.
    2. Give terrs one burst each life, but make them ungreenable (much like rockets).
    3. Standardize the burst damage to ~520. This ensures a kill if all three hit a player, but decrease the effectiveness of repelled bursts (they hardly all hit the same player), and decrease the effectiveness of cross flag room shots.
    4. Lower the lasting time of a burst to ~3 seconds from the time they hit a wall and begin their bounce.

Finally, I would just like to point out that I do not pretend to know everything about Trench Wars. What I have said here is the honest truth that I have come to believe from my playing experience, coupled with what I believe would increase the quality of the games played in Trench Wars Basing. I am a firm believer in the idea that there is no harm in trying. With no TWL news as of late, what could be the harm in testing any, or all, of the above ideas out?

(continued)
    Philos> I both hate you and like you more than anyone in this game randedl
    Philos> there is something about you
    Philos> You're like the wife i'd love to fuck, but beat every night after work

PhaTz> we should all wear t-shirts that says "I WAS THERE WHEN RANDEDL LOST TWLD" and on the back, "TWICE"

i went over the max characters allowed

That is all that I can think of right now, as I said; please do respond with your thoughts. I would appreciate it if everybody kept them constructive, and I will reply to any decent arguments that people offer!
    Philos> I both hate you and like you more than anyone in this game randedl
    Philos> there is something about you
    Philos> You're like the wife i'd love to fuck, but beat every night after work

PhaTz> we should all wear t-shirts that says "I WAS THERE WHEN RANDEDL LOST TWLD" and on the back, "TWICE"

Comment

I agree with limiting how many bursts a terr can get through greens. As it stands, greens make the outcome of basing largely up to chance; a green in the door can either mean a ship gets a FC and gets in, or doesnt and dies.
      SIGNATURE PROTEST: KEEP THE SHORT FFS

Comment

A very interesting thought. If they would only get one burst/life, it would also make terriers think when to use it, more like the portal, and not waste it when they get it.

I think it's worth a try.
        1: cundor> let's do a disoblige .?go base
        1: Cremation> cundor desperately trying to tell the world hes a diso
        1: cundor> dude
        1: cundor> i already told my parents
        1: Desperate> LOL
        1: Cremation> HAHA
        1: bram> :)
        1: Da1andonly> LOL

Comment

pff, you make a lot of valid arguments for sure rand. Ofcourse I'm not for changing the terr settings. I'm pretty conservative about changing shipsets. They are what made TW the most popular zone in the game and thus should be considered sacred and very fragile.

If however people accept the complaint of the burst being too strong and too random, sharkshrap would have to be abolished too. If we'd check the stats I'm sure terrs die of shrap just as much (if not more) as they die of nme-burst. Shrap is the sumum of randomness. Undodgable. The shark already has mines and can bomb, not forgetting the emp abillity. Shrap makes it too strong?

The jav has a rocket. Even with the current laglimits, a jav with a certain amount of lag is unstoppable when it uses its rocket. The jav already has a bouncingbomb that can kill multiple nme's + shrap. Also has L1 assbullets. The rocket makes it too powerful?

This to illustrate that complaints about the terr being too strong can also be made about the shark and the jav. I believe that the current settings provide a certain ballance in base.
          Making changes in those settings is risky business. First of all cause when u change one ships settings, the current ballance might be lost. Secondly once you start making changes the door is open and there will rise all kinds of requests for changes that might seem to only improve the game.
          I wanna come up with an ending but there's this hot girl on msn...no time

LETS BURN RANDEDL!!!
          http://disoblige.be-damned.com/OLD%20WEBSITE/

Comment

I do believe I'm on record as saying, and I quote, "You can pull my terr bursts out of my cold dead hands". I'm gonna throw in the FCs, shark shrap, jav rockets, and the fun.

Seriously, in an arena where everyone has a gun, you want to replace the terr's with a water pistol. Do you honestly think terrs are flown by suicidal freaks who like going in to situations with little to few weapons? No! that's the shark's job.

reasons:
            1.)As if the terr job wasn't boring enough as is. (big big reason. We had this debate I thought...) With cramming I'm already falling asleep when I play. I might as well take up knitting during an fr fight without bursts.
            2.) bursts are not defensive. Who've you been talking to? When we spoke about this I was pretty clear that bursts were offensive. which terrs told you this? I can't think of a single league terr who doesn't go for terr kills with burst. I am not worried about terrs dying more without bursts, I'm worried about them dying _less_. FR battles are intense because they're _dangerous_ for both teams, both terrs. Let's present an extreme case: two teams, in the fr, playing 5 spids each, evenly matched, and no bursts. god damn if both terrs aren't going togo crazy from the boredom!

allright, in response to your reasons:
            The most prevalent argument that I have seen is that taking the current burst away from a terr weakens the ship too much. To the contrary, it is my belief that, in an arena that has no anti-warp, the only ship that has a portal, the only ship that is attachable, is already the strongest ship in the game. Further, a terr does have a multifire spread of level one bullets that can go far in neutralizing a close range ships.
            Errrrmm.... Uhhh ya, the terr's the _most important_ ship on the team, in that without one a team is pretty much screwed, but "strongest"? Portals are rarer than gold in base games, and it's not the terr that's going to be pulling down 140 kills a match (except in extreme cases). Okay, the multi argument? 1 on 1, close range with _any_ basing ship, is a toss up at best if you're using the 4 shot, and you're meat if you're up against a spider. I don't think most terrs will say the terr's strength is close-in fighting, but rather it's extending and dodging during engagements. Sure you'll see aggressive terrs lob a few shots across the fr, but that's almost always fishing.

A terr already has two sharks and four spiders to protect it, not to mention a portal in an arena where there is no anti-warp. Moreover, a burst is not a repel; it will not going to stop a warbird bullet, a jav bomb, a piece of shrap or another terr's burst from hitting a terrier. To go a little further, who said a terr dying is a bad thing? While I recognize that a terr's death does, of course, it suck for the team the terr is on, this would probably make for more of a flag room turnover, that is an alternation of the team defending it.
            Why should the terr be declawed and have to rely further on the rest of the team for support? Right now their's little room at the top for terrs to stand out, and taking a tool out of their current set isn't going to end any of the mediocrity that current basing is producing.

With that aspect of the cram taken care of, I next want to address the actual execution of a cram, and the effect that a burst has on it. First of all, an attacking terr can only get one third of it's burst bullets into the flag room, and only from a small collection of shots that are both common knowledge to learned basers and easily repelled, so the advantage of a burst for an attacking terr is, essentially, null. On the other hand, the advantage provided to a defending terr is quite noticeable. With the current base map as it is, a defending terr has a multitude of positions to shoot at least two of the three burst bullets at the attacking team, and this is an offensive tactic, not defensive.
            It shouldn't be easy to get in to the fr. The cram is a problem, but it's not the terr bursts that cause it. Yes, I would like to see more shots from lower into the entrance, but the map orientation is clearly setup so the defending terr will always have an advantage, in a strung out fr fight. If the attacking terr is doing his job and pushing the way he should the burst is a critical tool in cracking the D once you're in the entrance proper.

After careful consideration, the only other argument that seems to hold any ground against removing the current burst from a base terrs arsenal is that "that is how it is in pub", and indeed it is. However, the rest of the ships are not the same. There is no maximum in pub pertaining to how many sharks you have to repel the terr's bursts. There are also those mini weasels that keep the terr a lot more responsible for the entire flag room. As well, I don't think that I need to re-iterate the importance that the purchasable anti-warp has in balancing out the advantages of a terr, and neither do I think that I need to underline the importance of a levi, or the lack thereof in base games. However, I will point out that all of the above differences between pub and base games, along with any that I am missing, disrupt the balance that the eight ships have in the Trench Wars public arenas.
            Buyable Anti-warp, fine put it back in to TWLB. Mini-weasel? I've already said I want it. Levi? Sure bring it back. This argument, ditch it. Buyable antiwarp no one will use. In a close fight will you sacrifice 40 seconds + 5000 points for anti-warp that to use you'll have to halve a spid's firepower? Or how bout the levi, which is at least as bad since you'll be fighting pretty much 7 v 8 for the entire match. Your "pub balance" is a myth. Changing the spider so that it can't buy anti-warp doesn't hinder training spider in pub. Taking away a terr's burst will definetly change how you train terr fighting skills in pub. The basic difference between this change and things like the mini-weasel is origin. I would like to see changes flow from pub to TWLB, not the other way around.

so let's go over your suggestions:

1. Remove bursts from basing games. (No.)
            2. Give terrs one burst each life, but make them ungreenable (much like rockets). (possibly, although I feel that the "greening" aspect of TWLB is one of those spices that makes it interesting.)
            3. Standardize the burst damage to ~520. This ensures a kill if all three hit a player, but decrease the effectiveness of repelled bursts (they hardly all hit the same player), and decrease the effectiveness of cross flag room shots. (No. Terr burst is offense, not defense, and as if it wasn't hard enough to get kills as terr as is. How bout instead we make them what L4 bullets are supposed to be, 100% kills.)
            4. Lower the lasting time of a burst to ~3 seconds from the time they hit a wall and begin their bounce.(Bullet stay alive is bullet stay alive time, and unless Cont .39 added settings for it you can't specify before or after bounce.)

Bottom line though, decreasing the burst's effectiveness/availability is going to take a way a huge facet of playing the terrier, one that right now is very important to learning to play terr. I do not see removing a skill from the terrier toolbox making that ship any more fun/skill oriented, and it is a ship which has suffered in those areas recently. It is not something that presents a pressing need for change, and from the arguments presented here I can not see a change that gives anything to that ship instead of simply taking away (a big reason why settings changing are very tricky).
            Last edited by wadi; 02-23-2004, 01:28 PM.

Comment

I don't think you should screw with the terriers burst - i'm all for screwing with the greens though. If it's possible you could make greening a burst a lot more rare, thus meaning a terr can't just waste it.
              The only TWO TIME TWLJ All-Star and TWLB All-Star who never played a game.

Originally posted by Richard Creager
              All space detectives come armed with tcp/ip persona blasting pistols, it's required for their line of duty. Silly of both maisoul and goddess to not know this before hand, they get what they deserved, fucking zapped, bitches.

Comment

Whatever you say wp, i'm with you! Got your back man!
                I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal...

Comment

Re: Another Basing Issue

First off all, this is total BS.

Originally posted by Randedl
                  The issue that I am addressing here is that of terrier bursts (not like there are any other kind in TW mind you), a bouncing, kill in 1 hit multi-bullet spray that totally effects the outcome of a basing game.
                  So? A spiders bullets affect the outcome of the game. Sharks bombs affect the outcome of the game, the 200 points you get from the flag affect the outcome of the game. Thats the whole point, if nothing would affect the outcome, you would have no outcome.

First of all, what is the purpose of a burst? I've been told by terrier experts that they are used for a terr's own self-defense. Honestly though, after watching a base game, the ratio of bursts used for defense compared to offence is very far below 1:1. I don't buy this defense at all, and I do believe that there would be very little effect on how often a terr dies if the effect of bursts was minimized in a basing game.
                  Bs, I use it for both offensive and defensive reason's. It has saved my lived alot, aswell as it has killed enm terr alot. When I have a spider behind me, and my team is currently death or somewhere else. and I got a burst I will aim it to kill him, saving my life. Therefor it does have effect of how often I die.

So this terr dying stuff has no effect on the outcome of a game?

To be completely honest however, for two separate reasons, I really do not think that terrier deaths would dramatically increase if bursts were taken out of the game. First of all, there are a large percentage of terr deaths that are caused by bursts. Below is a link to the results of the first half of the TWLB final. Nine of the twenty-nine terr deaths that game were from a burst that is nearly a third of the terrier deaths that game.

http://www.twleagues.org/?module=twl...nMatchID=23235

While I do recognize that the actual percentage of terr deaths resulting from a burst does have a huge deviance from game to game, the potential for such a ratio speaks for itself.
                  So? lets take the jav our totally, the ratio of terrdeaths coming from deaths is high. Omg, the spiders kill terrs too. Lets make them not shoot anymore. Its the whole point to gain fr by killing the enm terr. And if one terr does that with a burst, or a shark with shrap, or a laggy jav with a rocket makes no difference.

Next; and I admit to doing this a lot, a terrier may focus too much on doing a burst shot and, in fact, end up dying in the process. While this is more their fault than that of a burst, it is still very arguable that terr deaths would in fact decrease if the effect of a burst was minimized.
                  This is just a terr being stupid, and thats his fault and got nothing to do with burst, Lets take mines away, because terrs tend to rush up and fly into a mine, now this is a terrs fault, but by removing mines the terr deaths would in fact decrease.

Moving on to the aforementioned effect on the cram, which I do believe the majority of players think needs to be weakened, terr bursts are one of the most powerful aspects of a cram. There are many occasions where an attacking team will kill the two sharks and have an opening to get into the flag room. This is, however, combated by a defending terr flying across the entrance and bursting off three of the aforementioned bouncing bullets that kill in one hit. In a game of 8 people a side, the potential for three players to die at once does have a huge effect on the ability of a team to operate cohesively. There are many opportunities for an attacking team to gain the flag room that are, in fact, thwarted by a burst.

What's so offensive with DEFENDING your base? When your sharks die and your spider die, and you burst killing enm's means you defended your base from them coming in. There is nothing offensive in it. If a attacking terr kills enm's defending the base in a cram, that's offensive use of the burst.

I say this from experience, and especially because a repel does not effect a burst as much as it does bullets and bombs, the burst just bounces back. If said defending terr shoots three bursts into the doorstep of the flag room, they will still hit the attacking team, there is not nearly enough room in there for them to expire on their own, they bounce around until they hit something, potentially hitting the aforementioned three eighths of the attacking team. This is not a defensive tactic for the terr, and it just slows down the attacking team because they cannot do anything about it but waste essential repels. Take bursts away from terriers and you take this aspect of the cram away from a defending team.
                  You are contradicting yourself, you are saying its not a defensive tactic, but it does slow the attacking team down, and you wanna take this oppurtinity away from the DEFENDING team. Its total bs that it is not a defensive tactic. You slow the attackers down, you safe base.

The fact that lag is so prevalent in base matches, and thus, different players (most importantly the sharks) see different things than the rest of their team, there cannot be a cohesive defense against said bursts. This adds to effect that a burst by a terr in any situation can have.
                  Again, just the same as jav bombs or shark bombs. A shark can rep a jav bomb on his screen but his terr and spiders still die, lets take these bombs away too, I mean shark see something else then the rest of the team.

Before I move to my argument on bursts effecting flag room battles, I must acknowledge something. Until very recently I referred to the majority of bursts as being the product of luck. While there is no denying that a terr cannot foresee the effect of their burst, I do no recognize that most terrs do aim their burst shots at the opposing team, namely the opposing terrier. I will not spend time reiterating how this actually leads to more terr deaths, as the proof is above. However, I will not cease to reiterate that this is not a defensive tactic. Furthermore, I will go so far as to say that a terr has no purpose effecting a flag room battle while hiding in a corner, the terrier's purpose is to be a ship to attach to, not a major offensive weapon.
                  Again, its the whole point to kill the enm terr and gain the control of flagroom. And why shouldn't the terr be an offensive weapon? if you look to Mythrandir terrin you would see he made quite and effective offensive weapon of the terr. There is no rule that says the terr is no offensive weapon. Your whole argument in this post is based on the fact the terr is no offensive weapon. And I dont see a reason why its not an offensive weapon. Lets take away the bullets of the terr too then. Lets make it useless cept for attaching to it. lets jus take the terr out of the game and make the base game 7 vs 7 with people spawning in the flagroom.
                  Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

While I do not deny the benefits of a terr having a burst one-on-one with an opposing spider, I do not see the reason that this is allowed. Whether a terr has a burst or not is largely based on chance, and the fact that bursts are far too easily greened, and because of this terrs do not save their bursts for such situations, they use them for offence. Furthermore, if an opposing spider goes through the other seven players on the terr's team, including two ships with three repels each, and the terr dies, the problem is not that the terr did not have a burst; it is that there was some kind of mishap in the mechanics of the team. To go even further, a terr has a portal if this situation does actually happen. If a terr has to rely more on it's portal to save it's life, maybe terrs are less prone to sit in that cramming position, from which they have to portal out of to escape a jav bomb that gets through their team, further reducing the effectiveness, or frequency in this case, of the cram. This last point is a hypothetical, and I will not pretend to know how the majority of terr players will respond.
                    I sit in the cram because I have a portal, by relying only on a portal wont make me leave cram. Burst have got nothing to do with a terr sitting in cram. Further more, its not like a terr always has a portal, so when you dont have a portal and a spider is coming for you, and you kill it with your burst, you saved your life using your burst for another defensive tactic. And further more, I dont inmediatly use my burst when I get one. I wait for the right moment, where it will probably have the biggest effect.

The counter bla bla bla public arenas.
                    Originally posted by warportal
                    If however people accept the complaint of the burst being too strong and too random, sharkshrap would have to be abolished too. If we'd check the stats I'm sure terrs die of shrap just as much (if not more) as they die of nme-burst. Shrap is the sumum of randomness. Undodgable. The shark already has mines and can bomb, not forgetting the emp abillity. Shrap makes it too strong?

The jav has a rocket. Even with the current laglimits, a jav with a certain amount of lag is unstoppable when it uses its rocket. The jav already has a bouncingbomb that can kill multiple nme's + shrap. Also has L1 assbullets. The rocket makes it too powerful?
                    To summarize, I will provide a few suggestions that I have in helping to eliminate what I believe to be an imbalance, and thus a detraction from the entertainment value of base games for all but one eighth of the players involved. My propositions are listed in declining order (from the largest effect to the smallest) by the magnitude that I believe they will affect current base games. With that said, I do hope that you will all take these suggestions seriously and give me whatever constructive feedback you may have.

1. Remove bursts from basing games.
                    2. Give terrs one burst each life, but make them ungreenable (much like rockets).
                    3. Standardize the burst damage to ~520. This ensures a kill if all three hit a player, but decrease the effectiveness of repelled bursts (they hardly all hit the same player), and decrease the effectiveness of cross flag room shots.
                    4. Lower the lasting time of a burst to ~3 seconds from the time they hit a wall and begin their bounce.

Finally, I would just like to point out that I do not pretend to know everything about Trench Wars. What I have said here is the honest truth that I have come to believe from my playing experience, coupled with what I believe would increase the quality of the games played in Trench Wars Basing. I am a firm believer in the idea that there is no harm in trying. With no TWL news as of late, what could be the harm in testing any, or all, of the above ideas out?

(continued)
                    There is no imbalance. You dont terr. therefor you dont really now how a burst helps or effects the game. Therefor I see no reason to test anything out.

Saying the terr has an imbalance, will mean sharks and javs have an imbalance. So thats total bs. If you gonna change a terr. change every other ship used along with it.

Further more, A burst is both offensive as defensive, although it will probably be used more in an offensive way.
                    Last edited by Galleleo; 02-23-2004, 11:46 AM.
                    Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

I agree on both sides. It is annoying when u break the cram, and the terr comes across and bursts ur whole team with 3 bouncing bullets. I also think that the terr would be to weak of a ship w/o the burst. Like wadi said, its VERY boring to terr now, and u subtract a burst its even worst. Like Others said, maybe if u can get it to green not as rare, or maybe if it does less damage, but i dont even lik that idea. When a terr is traped, sometimes thething that gets them outa a corner is there burst. If it didnt do as much damage it wouldnt be near as helpful. Ur forgetting a terr dont have any other offensive weapons. There bullets are basicaly useless, and a portal is defensive.

I do agree strongly that shark shrap is extremely annoying tho
                      _o_2NASRALLAH

Comment

It's def hard to make adjustments since TW is basically a 1-hit kill zone. I understand sorta where ur coming from Rand, but to me, terr bursts are skill based ... most terrs develop their preferred burst positions ... and it is a good/scary defense for them. Bursts also force the nme sharks to rep ... and for the most part, that's what happens to most offensive bursts, they are repped.

Comment

Sorry didn't have the time to read it all yet but here's what I think of the burst thing atm:

The biggest problem with the burst is that it kills terrs too easily imo.
                          The terr needs skill to use the burst well (not that much in cram maybe but in fr battles) and it also makes it more interesting.

It's a reason for the terr to pass over the cram. Might always result in a more or less lucky kill for the attacking team too.

Giving only one burst might make terring boring?
                          What would the burst greens be replaced with?

I think a reduction of the burst damage would be better. make it lanc strenght or a little more powerful than the spider bullet. That would mean it would kill most spiders and badly hurt the terr, but not necessarily kill it unless he gets hit by something else too.
                          5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
                          5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
                          5: Da1andonly> =((
                          5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
                          5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
                          5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

maybe make the terrs bursts go out in the angles 30, 150 and 270 (2, 10 and 6 o'clock) degrees instead of 90, 210 and 330 (12, 8 and 4 o'clock) this way both terrs could get 3 bursts in the cram...
                            Last edited by Malladrin; 02-23-2004, 02:11 PM.

Comment

For the stupid among you (YEAH YOU WADI, WHICH 360 DEGREE IS UP FOR YOU) =P

Yellow are the new angles suggested by Malla, the reds are the old angles.

Light is faster than sound. That is why people look bright, until you hear them.

Comment

Working...
                              X