Warbird Cup, Jav Cup, and Basing Cup will be the next league

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warbird Cup, Jav Cup, and Basing Cup will be the next league

[CENTER][IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/YZOesky.png"}[/IMG2][/CENTER]

I'm going to run [B][COLOR=#7f8c8d]Warbird Cup[/COLOR], [COLOR=#f1c40f]Jav Cup[/COLOR], and [COLOR=#e74c3c]Basing Cup[/COLOR][/B] 2022 with help from Racka, Markmrw, BIET, and others.

I am accepting submissions for teams/cores.

[COLOR=#27ae60]All 3 leagues are completely separate[/COLOR]. You can submit a team/core to 1, 2, or all 3. You can opt out of 1, 2, or all 3. There's no relationship between them.

'TWL with a star cap' or 'Hybrid' (3 WBs or 3 Javs or 5 basers start as a team then draft) will be the target format, although I'm willing to revert to uncapped draft if things don't coalesce. We'll talk with leaders from the teams/cores throughout the week and get feedback on their preferred league structure, but you get the idea.

I'm leaning heavily towards[B] Hybrid[/B] format, personally.

We will accept cores of 3 in jav, 3 in wb, 5 in base. Ram Ranch wants to be in all three, but they will only get to draft in Basing Cup. In WB/Jav, they will have to assemble a full team and be excluded from the draft. This protects elite WBs who enter the draft from being picked by a team that won't contend.

So[B] I will accept any group of players that can field a full line[/B], if you don't want to be drafted because you think you'll get benched, or simply because you want to play with your friends. The only difference is that elite players who form cores are limited by the 3/3/5 roster rule and complete their rosters in the draft. Ram Ranch completes their WB/Jav roster with their basers, while say, Racka/Lockdown/Saiyan will be part of the draft with other elite cores and selecting players to round out their roster.

This gives everyone options on how to participate:

[SIZE=18px]1) Enter with a strong core and draft
    2) Get drafted
    3) Enter with a lower-star full lineup, but cannot draft[/SIZE]

Again, all leagues are separate. You can submit an elite core in jav, opt out of base, and enter the draft to get selected in warbird. Choose how you want to play.

[SIZE=36px][COLOR=#3498db]Key Features of Cups:[/COLOR][/SIZE][LIST][*][B]Opt-out, not Opt-in. No signups.[/B][*][B]All playoffs (per ship) take place 1 day[/B], requiring an extremely small commitment. [U]Respect players time[/U], especially since TWL and TWDT are the mainstays and Cup allows burnt out elite players to take time off, and just play a few warmup games the week of the playoffs and come in and compete for a championship. [COLOR=#f39c12][I]Note: If players want traditional Semis weekend then Finals weekend, that's fine too. We'll have to canvas the league more in the coming weeks.[/I][/COLOR][*][B]Weekday games [/B][I][COLOR=#e74c3c](maybe) [/COLOR][/I]with lower points value. Keeps the player-base engaged, and allows players who otherwise wouldn't get in Sundays to get exposure and experience. Dare, for example, got this opportunity on Druids, put himself on the map, then got drafted to Power and won as a key starter in TWDT[*][B]Almost all teams make playoffs[/B], keeping subspacers engaged, keeping the commitment level low for players who want to take time off but are willing to show to 1-2 games + playoffs. I very-much liked the 5 out of 6 make it with a play-in, with benefits to each seed (#1 picks their opponent, #2 has immunity from #1 in semis, #3 avoids the play-in, #4/5 make playoffs)[*][B]Separate rosters, separate drafts[/B]. No "you make the playoffs overall" like TWDT. It sucks having a championship TWDT-J line and you miss the playoffs because of WB/Base. Especially when Cup is run as a pure draft, we want some differentiation. I very much like this feature for TWDT, but it should stay in DT. Drafts should also be per-league, and you can simply create packages you draft with lots of non 9*/10* players in them like we did in old TWDT to keep the main draft time from going too long.[/LIST][USER="3972"]Dwopple[/USER] CUP HYPE!!!
    Last edited by ogron; 04-12-2022, 10:15 PM.
    top 100 basers list

We'll be refining the rules, reaching out to potential cores, and determining the start date over the next two weeks.
    top 100 basers list

Comment

LETS GOOO CUP HYPE!!!!!!!
      1:Riverside> you guys eat schmores in america?

Comment

Someone just linked me this, half asleep. No clue what I just read, but one thing stuck out: BASING CUP YAY!
        rEnZi> just looking at rageritual tilts me
        rEnZi> its crazy
        rEnZi> thats real power

Siaxis> yo it was way harder to kill Rage then beam in that dtd

Comment

This sounds sick, nice job as usual, DJ “And Anotha One” Ogron
          J-B-Inc> i ddi that duel while doing coke of pawner moms ass

8:Riverside> UPDATE FOR WEEK 1:
          8:Riverside> I go 4-60 and we lose 0-6

2:saiyan> [Dec 22 21:22] Rough: yo just came on to tell you, can you go on a real date with a girl (need to be specific here lol) instead of talking to claus on forums about calcs and formulas for a league? Happy holidays btw

Comment

Awesome man, this looks like a lot of fun. I personally like the weeknight games as a possibility. Thanks for your time and effort in getting this going!!
            Subspace - Best kept secret in the video gaming world. Let's keep it that way.

Comment

thanks!

we'll work to get some exciting cores and generate enthusiasm for the coming leagues
              top 100 basers list

Comment

Hey, I think this is a cool idea and am thankful you stepped up to run it!

I do think we need some more hard guidelines on what constitutes an elite core/rookie team rather than just an arbitrary opinion. We currently have the star rating system to work with so..

Are we having a star cap minimum for the elite 3 man jav/wb trios and the 5 man basing cores?

You said we can have a 5 man rookie line for wb & jav but what is going to define the threshold to qualify as a rookie line?

Can five 8* javs form a rookie team?

Can eight 8/8.5* basing players put together a ‘rookie’ basing line?

You stated this option “3) Enter with a lower-star full lineup, but cannot draft”

Does this mean the elite cores of 5 basers will only get 3 draft rounds to form a team of 8 players total? I doubt this and believe the core teams will get extra draft picks in order to cover subs and absences.

I think it makes more sense to allow the rookie jav/wb teams into the draft pick after second or third.. & rookie base teams into draft after third or fourth pick

Ex 1 - jav draft allows rookie teams in round 3 -

elite core 1: saiyan/lockdown/racka draft hypocrit, and cloth in the first 2 rounds of draft to make a 5 man team. In the third round of the jav draft 5 man rookie team Ekko/Aselsan/Spirit/Lai/Renzi are able to have their first draft pick to cover subs and absences and have some player depth.

I feel as though if the star limit for rookie team submission is higher this could also be done in round 4 just because there is an advantage to designing a full starting line even within a star cap

Ex 2 - jav draft allows rookie teams in round 4 -

elite core 1: saiyan/lockdown/racka draft hypocrit, siaxis and cloth in the first 3 rounds of draft for a 6 man jav roster. In the fourth round of the jav draft 5 man rookie team Ekko/Aselsan/Spirit/Zizu/Dwopple are able to begin drafting to also cover subs and absences and have some player depth.

I understand even by jav draft round pick 3/4 some high star players could be left that might not wanna play on a rookie team (although I would rather start and play for any line rather than bench) so I guess we could implement a star cap on lines played by the rookie team just in case.

Once again I love this idea but we definitely should have more concrete guidelines set out before cores and teams are formed/submitted.

Ps. The lines I submitted in examples were off the top of my head, none of these people have expressed any interest in playing with me nor are those team submission requests.
                absurd> havnt seen ekko miss in 20 mins;\

Comment

In my opinion having player cores of three is too much and will inevitably create imbalance due to a limited pool of top talent in dueling leagues. What is the plan to at least attempt to balance it out?

Comment

[QUOTE=Turban;n1358963]In my opinion having player cores of three is too much and will inevitably create imbalance due to a limited pool of top talent in dueling leagues. What is the plan to at least attempt to balance it out?[/QUOTE]

we'll see what the submitted cores look like first, let's not jump to conclusions.

i'm sure everyone wants a competitive league, including the elite cores. if there is a significant disparity, we can use a star cap, or block out certain picks during the draft in certain rounds, or grant weaker cores double picks in the 1st and 2nd rounds, etc.

i'd rather not give a solution to a problem that doesn't exist yet, and instead tailor one after we know exactly what the difference in team strengths is.
                    Last edited by ogron; 04-15-2022, 01:23 PM. Reason: a word
                    top 100 basers list

Comment

Is there an idea of a schedule yet? Like May 1st to July 1st or something?
                      rEnZi> just looking at rageritual tilts me
                      rEnZi> its crazy
                      rEnZi> thats real power

Siaxis> yo it was way harder to kill Rage then beam in that dtd

Comment

[QUOTE=RageRitual;n1358967]Is there an idea of a schedule yet? Like May 1st to July 1st or something?[/QUOTE]

a significant amount of elite players have messaged me about vacation and travels in the coming months, so I'm trying to work backwards from the playoffs to maximize the amount of top-tier players who will participate and tailor the schedule around them.

part of the reason TWL isn't being run right now is people's travels, so we're working from a disadvantageous position.

the short answer being no, i don't have the schedule yet. the key feature is the playoff dates. cup attendance during the regular season has always been meh, while the semis/finals attendance has been nothing short of phenomenal, with near 100% showrates for basing cup 2020 and 2021, to the point where some of those matches were stronger than a few TWLB playoffs in weaker years.

so it's really important to nail it. when i get most of the dates back from players, i'll publish the schedule.

top 100 basers list

Comment

Will these games be scheduled? I would like to play warbirds at 1pm est at the latest. I would also like to thank you, ogron, for this

I would also like to point out that if me and riv would be paired up, with a potential engi or vt, we would become the team to beat. Our subspace 2 dimensional asteroid online game level [I] will shit your pants [/I]
                          Last edited by Jones; 04-16-2022, 05:00 PM.
                          TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

[QUOTE=RageRitual;n1358967]Is there an idea of a schedule yet? Like May 1st to July 1st or something?[/QUOTE]

[USER="5980"]RageRitual[/USER] based on feedback from top players on their dates, I think the optimal dates will be [B]draft May 1[/B], start May 8, and either traditional[B] playoffs with semis June 12 and finals June 19[/B], or basing cup style all-in-one-day finals on the 12th, 19th, and 26th. i'm leaning more towards traditional, but if more vacation and travel stuff comes in we can work around it.

Current Travel and Vacation blocks:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ZtBRwFL.png[/img]
                            top 100 basers list

Comment

[QUOTE=Jones;n1358980]Will these games be scheduled? I would like to play warbirds at 1pm est at the latest. I would also like to thank you, ogron, for this

I would also like to point out that if me and riv would be paired up, with a potential engi or vt, we would become the team to beat. Our subspace 2 dimensional asteroid online game level [I] will shit your pants [/I][/QUOTE]

JONES

Suggestion:

Cud vs international games for a couple Sundays as part of Cups (am down to suggest having it as an overall slot if it goes well)

[B]Noon-1:30pm EST[/B]

Negatif: cud b doodoo for West (n East) Coast fuks

Positif: cud b gr8 4 euro n othir fuks
                              Last edited by Riverside; 04-17-2022, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X