Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to avoid permanently losing your SS name

Hi all,

I've been getting messages from time to time from players whose hard drives crash and they're unable to recover their password. Usually this means their account is GONE forever.

In the past this wouldn't be a problem, because we had billing operators. As far as I'm aware, we no longer have any active billing operator to handle name and squad resets. We also have no way to add another billing operator.

What does this mean for you?
    If you don't know your current password and you lose it, the only way to fix it is to use ?lostpassword. But, if you signed up on the name with a now-inaccessible (or fake) email, this will be useless, and you will permanently lose access to your name unless you somehow remember your password. For some people this means decades and tens of thousands of hours gone.

What can you do?
    1) If you're not sure what your current password is, and are just logging in with whatever's stored in your profile, you should use the ?password= command immediately to set a new password (for example ?password=1234 ). You should do this regularly anyhow, and not use the same password on multiple accounts, if you have them.

2) If you want to back up your passwords to a file that you can later recover, you can use the reg command to do it. Press Windows+R, type cmd, and hit enter. This opens a command-line shell. Then type:

Code:
    reg export HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Continuum\Passwords C:\contpass.reg
    This will export the encrypted passwords to contpass.reg on your C: drive root directory. (Change locations if desired.) From there you can copy this to a thumbdrive to save your passwords, and recover them in the future if your hard drive dies. You can also use this to pull passwords from old accounts on that laptop in the closet. You'll need to be a little careful with this, though. After you copy that registry file, don't accidentally double-click it and load the values into your main computer's registry, because you'll overwrite your current passwords. It's better to open the file with a text editor and copy values in to the appropriate profile slot in the registry. Ask someone techy to help you with this if you're not sure how to do it when the time comes.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Mom helped me just last year when this happened to me. Why can't we add another billing op?

Wasn't it Mom and spacehiker?
    TWDT-J CHAMPION POWER 2018
    TWDT-B CHAMPION POWER 2018
    TWDT TRIPLE CROWN MEMBER POWER 2018
    TSL TRIPLE CROWN FINALIST 2018
    TSLD CHAMPION 2018
    TSLB CHAMPION 2018

Comment

You need to run cmd as administrator. Thanks qan, though! Very helpful.

Googling how to run cmd as admin:

Type in cmd to search for Command Prompt. Press ctrl + shift + enter to launch Command Prompt as administrator. win+r does not natively support this though, but an alternative (and less quick) way, is to type in runas /user:Administrator cmd and then type the password for the administrator account.

Or just right click on the cmd when you open the menu if it's there. This was done on Win7 so it might be different on others.
      TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

is it possible to change the email associated with your account?

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

I know swagger (world) knows mom pretty well so he might be able to get a hold of him if needed.
          In game alias: mvp

twdt-b 2017 finalist
          twlb 2020 and 2023 champ cheerleader
          twdt-b 2020 and 2021 champ

Comment

Originally posted by Zeebu View Post
            is it possible to change the email associated with your account?
            Not as far as I know. You could look at putting in a ticket for it.

Originally posted by afghan
            I know swagger (world) knows mom pretty well so he might be able to get a hold of him if needed.
            I was able to talk to Mom recently. Apparently SpaceHiker is able to handle tickets, but Mom has to issue the actual commands. She's been quite busy with her personal life, however, and so may not have been able to approve some of these. SpaceHiker should be receiving additional access soon, according to Mom. Ghost Ship is not active, effectively acting as a trusted keyholder/source of stability.

With luck Space gets his access and someone can take on the role of a junior billing op, and perhaps work on clearing out some of the old tickets which have been left open without a reply.
            "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
            -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Originally posted by qan View Post
              Not as far as I know. You could look at putting in a ticket for it.

I was able to talk to Mom recently. Apparently SpaceHiker is able to handle tickets, but Mom has to issue the actual commands. She's been quite busy with her personal life, however, and so may not have been able to approve some of these. SpaceHiker should be receiving additional access soon, according to Mom. Ghost Ship is not active, effectively acting as a trusted keyholder/source of stability.

With luck Space gets his access and someone can take on the role of a junior billing op, and perhaps work on clearing out some of the old tickets which have been left open without a reply.
              I think it's been ridiculously obvious for at least a decade now (almost 2 decades really) that there needs to be more than 2 'rarely-active' Billing Ops, and anytime I've ever seen someone need to put in a ticket, they knew long beforehand that it was completely useless to do so. There's literally no point in most player's eyes, meaning the entire system failed so long ago that an actual Billing Op doing anything at all is a myth to most of us. Adding a junior Billing Op who has no real power to do anything to respond to tickets sent 5+ years ago isn't going to help anyone. Frankly, I'm honestly surprised any changes are happening at all, because it's long past the point of absurdity. Player trust in these types of things are at or very near 0%, and you even had to make a post telling players to backup all their information on their registry, because even you know you can't trust Billing Ops to do anything within any reasonable amount of time. We are talking years of no responses here, not just a few weeks or months. Simply put, if Mom never logs in and doesn't have time to do the job, why is she the sole Billing Op? Adding Spacehiker is a small step in the right direction, but it's ridiculous to pretend he's much more active himself. I mean you even started your post off with 'I was able to talk to Mom recently' as if it was some kind of special thing, because you know she's about as active as Ghost Ship. I do kind of think it's an insult to tell others to put in a ticket for it, because you know damn well it will never be looked at.
              RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
              RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Working...
              X