New bigbullets (4x upscale)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New bigbullets (4x upscale)

Not sure where to put this. Here's good enough, maybe. Working on a new version of bigbullets.

Intentions:

- Scale bullets up to visibility comparable to the original. Original 5x5 bullets were made when 800x600 resolution was considered standard. 1920x1080 is now the standard, which is more than 4 times as large. Therefore, increasing bullet size by 4x, from 5x5 to 10x10, should preserve roughly the original intended visibility when using 1920x1080.
    - Increase visibility. Original bullets are in a cross pattern, and are difficult to see. Use bouncing versions of bullets as a base instead, which are rounded.
    - Retain the look and feel of original SS bullets. Most bigbullets files change the look of bullets, which trades increased visibility while sacrificing the classic SS style. Keep comfy and nostalgia levels high. We're getting old.
    - Remove "shine" to bullets. Bullets are easier to track when they aren't animated.

Downsides:
    - Bullets are larger than the hitbox so you'll see grazing. Think oldschool arcade/NES games with round chunky bullets but smaller square hitboxes. It feels pretty natural to me. Might throw some people off.

WIP

Simple installer. Unzip to Continuum/graphics and run bb4x-install.bat to create a backup of your old bullets file: http://trenchwars.org/ssdl/Graphics/bigbullets4x.zip
    Graphic only (drop in Continuum/graphics): http://www.trenchwars.org/qan/bullets.bmp
    Attached Files
    Last edited by qan; 06-02-2019, 12:40 AM.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

How do we go about installing this? I failed at doing so lol Would be interested in trying this out today.

Comment

is this the ones u gave me qan?
      if so ill put up a couple screen shots so guys can see what they look like on 1920x1080

i crunched them a bit to get them in

*note: grasps... in your Continuum folder there is a folder called graphics....downline that file from qan its tiny... should take seconds at most lol... (for safety in case u want to revert u need to find the file bullets.bm2 and copy it or move it to another folder for safe keeping in case you want to revert back u can just re drop it back in the graphics folder...
      now you take the downloaded file.. if its in an zip then just click and extract it to that graphics folder.... so it would be :\\Continuum\graphics depending on where u have your continuum installed. once you drop it in there your done!

Ahh just checked out his link.. so it pops the image... so all you have to do is right click the image and save it as bullets.bm2 (can do it somewhere safe where u can find it after if u want to back up your regular bullets file first) or just drop it in the above folder i mentioned earlier
      Last edited by Bosshawk; 06-01-2019, 01:14 PM. Reason: clarify how to save file
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Comment

At 1440p the traditional bigger bullets set is essential, and it's pretty much essential at 1080p too. That set is the default in the Steam installation for anyone who wants it.
        I'd imagine the set in this thread is essential at 4K, just a guess. Or anyone with shitty eyesight.

Originally posted by Grasps View Post
        How do we go about installing this? I failed at doing so lol Would be interested in trying this out today.
        The file is a replacement for Continuum\graphics\bullets.bm2
        Remember to take a backup copy first.

If someone could post a download link for the traditional bigger bullets set that would be cool, atm the only place I know where to get it from is Steam, so I have Continuum installed through Steam just so I can get it lol.

Also, if anyone has a shortcut to Continuum and the icon is shitty, you can take the icon from the Steam install folder and use that for your shortcut.

Comment

Originally posted by Rab View Post
          If someone could post a download link for the traditional bigger bullets set that would be cool, atm the only place I know where to get it from is Steam, so I have Continuum installed through Steam just so I can get it lol.
          Right now you can find the standard version that was available on ssdownloads here: http://trenchwars.org/ssdl/Graphics/BigBullets.zip That's the one we decided to use for the Steam install, at least. There are at least 5 different versions, though. I wasn't aware, but I guess I created this one. I actually don't remember doing this ... it was literally 15 years ago, guess that's why.

Anyhow, it has a batch file installer that makes a copy of your old file. (I just fixed it and reuploaded... it was also broken for 15 years, using the wrong file name!)

I've made a simple installer for the 4x version as well. Drop in your Continuum/graphics folder and run bb4x-install.bat. It won't overwrite your old files and will create backups. Use bb4x-uninstall.bat to return to previous bullets: http://trenchwars.org/ssdl/Graphics/bigbullets4x.zip

"You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."

Comment

Originally posted by Bosshawk View Post
            is this the ones u gave me qan?
            Yep, same one, except bouncing bullets are fixed in this version. Not a big deal for most TW arenas, but noticeable in other zones.

Comment

Just put it in zones/Trench Wars folder so you dont have to worry about making backup copies. Then it is just in tw where they are replaced. Useful if you play other zones
              TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

This bullet file makes everything more visible compared to what I'm using now, EXCEPT for warbird. The L3 bullets are less visible than what I have now, which is the old Bigger_Brighter_Bullets file. Would be cool to combine the L3 from that file with the rest of them from this file. Bigger Brighter Bullets is available at: http://subspaceforum.com/downloads then click Continuum...Graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceHiker View Post
                  This bullet file makes everything more visible compared to what I'm using now, EXCEPT for warbird. The L3 bullets are less visible than what I have now, which is the old Bigger_Brighter_Bullets file. Would be cool to combine the L3 from that file with the rest of them from this file. Bigger Brighter Bullets is available at: http://subspaceforum.com/downloads then click Continuum...Graphics.
                  Gave it a shot. With the upscale, the L3 with a hole in the center was a bit too much, so I took that out. Also did some minor pixel touchups. You have essentially a very bright but still rounded bullet at 4x. I'll have to try this version out a bit more and see how it plays, might be better.

http://www.trenchwars.org/qan/bb-brightL3-4x.bmp

(Can't include a preview because the forum software doesn't recognize it as an image file ... good stuff)

Comment

I like!

Comment

Leland

Comment

Working...
                      X