Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPNs ("Gaming" VPNs) - anyone use these to try and resolve connection issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPNs ("Gaming" VPNs) - anyone use these to try and resolve connection issues?

Anyone ever tried one of these? Ran across this while searching for something else: https://www.wtfast.com/en/games/subspace-continuum/

They attempt to optimize your connection by providing the cleanest route to a server. Think of it as a VPN that chooses a route based on performance. Might be useful for those experiencing strange network problems and are willing to throw money at the problem. Couldn't hurt to try for a month, anyhow.

If you've had any experience with these kinds of services and had success I'd be interested to hear about it.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Similar services:
    https://mudfish.net - apparently much cheaper, pay as you go
    https://pingzapper.com - also much cheaper ($4/mo)

WTFast apparently has some negative reviews, but most of it seems due to price gouging. Generally all of these do work as advertised to improve unreliable connections.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."

Comment

lol at gaming vpn,

Here are some nord vpn login, no need 2 spend money and ur welcum

https://pastebin.com/i4KpHUk8
      https://twd.trenchwars.org/showgame/90112596

Retired after i dropped 24 kills and carry the team

wbduel Map Maker Legend

Comment

Different concept/intention, doesn't accomplish quite the same thing, though a fast, well-configured VPN could do roughly the same thing if you knew the exact source of network trouble and used a precise location to route around it. A gaming VPN focuses on performance, whereas a standard VPN focuses on anonymity, and in most cases will raise rather than reduce your ping. It'll have unpredictable effects on packetloss, adding to or reducing it depending on the path you choose.

The method of these services is to analyze possible ways to reroute traffic around bad hops to improve your connection. The method of a VPN is (at least in this use case) to reroute traffic manually to a user-defined location.

Comment

qan Nope, didn't work. Still can't participate in TWD with this packet loss.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Nipple Nibbler; 12-29-2020, 10:26 PM.
          Siaxis> yo it was way harder to kill Rage then beam in that dtd

rylo> 1.5 mil for whoever kills renzi
          (10 seconds later)
          rEnZi is out. 17 kills 10 deaths. 2 players remain.
          P TW-Pub> rylo sent you $1,500,000, you now have $4,047,199.

If you're going to do a thing you should to it to the best of your ability or don't do it at all.

Comment

From some poking around there is a hop in Toronto my ISP always seems to send me to before going anywhere that seems to have a lot of ploss. I find this odd considering it is sending my signal north when the server is south of me...
            Siaxis> yo it was way harder to kill Rage then beam in that dtd

rylo> 1.5 mil for whoever kills renzi
            (10 seconds later)
            rEnZi is out. 17 kills 10 deaths. 2 players remain.
            P TW-Pub> rylo sent you $1,500,000, you now have $4,047,199.

If you're going to do a thing you should to it to the best of your ability or don't do it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Nipple Nibbler View Post
              From some poking around there is a hop in Toronto my ISP always seems to send me to before going anywhere that seems to have a lot of ploss. I find this odd considering it is sending my signal north when the server is south of me...
              Hmmm. Sounds like there's something misconfigured there. Might be worth reaching out to your ISP. Can also try using a free VPN and tracing the path with traceroute/mtr to see if it's taking the same path, but if it's always going to that same hop and there's an issue there, you won't be able to get away from it. That's a serious issue and they do need to resolve it, because 3% is totally unacceptable.

Not sure how tech-savvy you are, but you can also try running traces to other major servers and seeing if you hit the same hop. Guessing if WTFast wasn't able to find a better route around, that's what's happening.

Thanks for trying and reporting the results.

Comment

Working...
              X