Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor ASUS laptop performance

Hi all,

Not super tech savvy but just purchased a new laptop that I intend to return unless I can troubleshoot the problems I'm having with SS.

My problems are two-fold, and if you have any suggestions for how I can trouble shoot them, please let me know:

1) The FPS is garbage, every time I thrust, the ship and bullets skip. I've tried to readjust my display resolution, but it did not help.
    2) The resolution initially did not fit the screen because my display resolution was set to default 125%, so I changed it to 100% and 1920x1080 worked, however, would a resolution resizer be worth pursuing?

Thanks, the slow FPS is the main issue so if anyone has tips let me know before I return this piece of trash and get a new MacBook or build my own PC.

Everything I know about client performance is documented here:
    https://forums.trenchwars.com/forum/...nt-performance

You'll want to be a bit scientific about it to find out which settings affect ss for you.

Comment

I was getting shitty FPS recently and this worked for me:

In game hit Esc+F, note the red number that appears top of screen.

Exit game> go to "View" > Advanced Options > make sure Software emulation, Avoid Page Flipping, and No Framerate limit are ticked.
      They are not by default.

Repeat step one see if that solves your FPS program.

No idea about a res resizer.

Comment

Will definitely try these tips tonight. Thanks guys

Comment

Might be stating the obvious, but maybe helpful..

The key laptop specs are:
          CPU: i7-8565U
          Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 620

This is integrated graphics (part of the CPU) rather than a dedicated graphics card. Not a great choice for gaming, but with ss being so old I'm not sure if it's really the issue. Would be good if other laptop users could chime in with their gpu+res+fps for comparison.

Further reading:
          https://techguided.com/dedicated-gra...ated-graphics/
          https://laptoping.com/gpus/product/i...aphics-review/
          https://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU19/2638

Comment

these issues are most likely being caused by the integrated graphics card which are notoriously bad for gaming and they often bottlenecks computer systems when doing anything that is more GPU intensive. my guess is that you get heavy FPS drops when you fly around, with it being even worse when you fly in an area with a lot of walls, which in return leads to choppy game play. there are some advanced options you can try to help with the choppiness such as the one Cape suggested. this game isn't really properly optimized for latest operating systems which is why it might require a bit more oomph from computers to run smoothly -- especially on higher resolutions and refresh rates.

i'm not entirely sure why you would purchase a laptop with these specifications unless you really wanted a middle-budget touch-screen laptop for light work purposes and nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by Turban View Post
              these issues are most likely being caused by the integrated graphics card which are notoriously bad for gaming and they often bottlenecks computer systems when doing anything that is more GPU intensive. my guess is that you get heavy FPS drops when you fly around, with it being even worse when you fly in an area with a lot of walls, which in return leads to choppy game play. there are some advanced options you can try to help with the choppiness such as the one Cape suggested. this game isn't really properly optimized for latest operating systems which is why it might require a bit more oomph from computers to run smoothly -- especially on higher resolutions and refresh rates.
              You described the issues I'm dealing with to a T. I'll try Cape's suggestions but still returning this piece of crap if it doesn't work.

Originally posted by Turban View Post
              i'm not entirely sure why you would purchase a laptop with these specifications unless you really wanted a middle-budget touch-screen laptop for light work purposes and nothing else.
              For a side laptop solely for SS since my MacBook is becoming a melted piece of metal/plastic thanks to running WINE for SS.

Comment

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-...HD%20to%20UHD.

UHD 620 is most suited for casual games like Team Fortress 2, Rocket League or Farming Simulator 17.

your integrated graphics card is clearly not an issue to run subspace at 60+fps at all times.. This gpu can run team fortress 2 in medium at 1080p resolution in 40+ fps on average.

Pressure so it's more likely the issue that Cape suggested. I think.
                2018 TWDT Champion 2019 TWLD Final 4 2019 TWDTJ Semi finalist 2019 2x TWDTD Finalist 2020 TW Forum Mafia Game champion

Comment

Originally posted by Beast View Post
                  https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-...HD%20to%20UHD.

UHD 620 is most suited for casual games like Team Fortress 2, Rocket League or Farming Simulator 17.

your integrated graphics card is clearly not an issue to run subspace at 60+fps at all times.. This gpu can run team fortress 2 in medium at 1080p resolution in 40+ fps on average.

Pressure so it's more likely the issue that Cape suggested. I think.
                  Cape's tip worked!

Comment

Originally posted by Pressure View Post

Cape's tip worked!
                    glad it solved your issue! had problems in the past with that
                    2018 TWDT Champion 2019 TWLD Final 4 2019 TWDTJ Semi finalist 2019 2x TWDTD Finalist 2020 TW Forum Mafia Game champion

Comment

Originally posted by Beast View Post
                      Why even buy a laptop if TF2 is the benchmark for what it can run? I can find cheaper laptops with similar specs and a dedicated, switchable GPU that can run games from the past few years at least. TF2 was released in 2007.

Best Buy. That explains it.
                      RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
                      RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Originally posted by Exalt View Post

Why even buy a laptop if TF2 is the benchmark for what it can run? I can find cheaper laptops with similar specs and a dedicated, switchable GPU that can run games from the past few years at least. TF2 was released in 2007.

Best Buy. That explains it.
                        lol I wasn't the one with the laptop, like seriously get off my nuts, and pm, and relate to the actual owner of the product, you don't need to drag me into your sentences man.

Comment

Working...
                        X