monitor problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monitor problem

ok i was using the computer and then suddenly the monitor looked like those old tv's when u shut it off- the blackness just shoots out and there's a small white square in the center. oh, and it made a clicking sound.

i was like wtf. the monitor still had green light on, and the computer was on too.

possible explanations anybody?
    thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Well it may have been some sort of electrical problem. Do you have a Crt monitor? If so did someone put a magnet near it? I'm saying this because magnets screw up crt's. Another thing may have been your display driver, or the actual tube in the monitor. (Cathod ray tube=crt). I have no idea what may have caused the problem, but if it works now then why worry?

Comment

If you have camera, could you take picture of your monitor when it's on and in windows?
      megaman89> tsunami taught me that 1 shouldnt have used it
      L K> taught u what?
      megaman89> how to suck

9:WiL> im gonna with my league \o/
      9:Graner <ZH>> you mean win?
      9:WiL> being on plade i forgot how to spell it

Comment

This happened to one of my monitors, we discovered it was because we were using speakers not suitable for use so close to a monitor.
        USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
        ---A few minutes later---
        9:cool koen> you scorereseted
        9:Kim> UM
        9:Kim> i didn't
        9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
        9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
        9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
        9:pascone> lol?

Comment

My monitor occasionally makes high pitched squeaks. These can last for minutes at a time and also I now permanently have faint diagonal lines scrolling down the screen. Most noticeable when displaying white.

Cause: Cordless phone. They're bastards for interference and have caused permanent damage to my monitor

Comment

Mobilephone never caused any problem to my monitor. Once i thought that my monitor broke up but it had warranty left so I changed it. Twice. After that I noticed the fan of my 3d card wasn't working and that made my screen look intresting.
            megaman89> tsunami taught me that 1 shouldnt have used it
            L K> taught u what?
            megaman89> how to suck

9:WiL> im gonna with my league \o/
            9:Graner <ZH>> you mean win?
            9:WiL> being on plade i forgot how to spell it

Comment

It wasnt my mobile phone, it was a cordless landline housephone. It has constant interference with the monitor.

All my mobile does is make that fucked up noise with my speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Peanuts
                My monitor occasionally makes high pitched squeaks. These can last for minutes at a time and also I now permanently have faint diagonal lines scrolling down the screen. Most noticeable when displaying white.

Cause: Cordless phone. They're bastards for interference and have caused permanent damage to my monitor
                oh shit! i didn't know magnets were what was causing the fucking squeaking noise. the noise is really annoying and i can push down on the monitor for it to stop, but then it just comes back.

things i have next to my monitor:
                little pocket clock/calculator, stereo( one speaker touching the monitor?) the rest of the stereo is a foot away from the monitor.
                thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

Speakers can interfere with some appliances unless theyre case is specially designed to block it.

Comment

Yeah some speakers aren't shielded so that affects the monitor. I also heard somewhere it might interfere with the internet connection.(May not be true.)

Comment

Theres no reason it would interfere with your net connection. Especially not fiberoptic ones.

Comment

AGAIN! wtf

wtf it was fine until a few minutes ago. it did the black screen thing. i rebooted about 5 times, the computer made its noises, the monitor was on, and it still didn't show a picture. then i spent 10 minutes unplugging every electrical device in the room to no avail. finally i removed the old clunky piece of shit and put in this smaller one i'm using right now.

i don't understand how i've been having a radio next to the computer for so many years now and it suddenly starts fucking everything up this week.
                        thread killer

Comment

All that time with the electronic interference probably builds up over time. The damage has been done. Think of it like getting exposed to radiation. You can go ahead and put that uranium away now but that won't get rid of the cancer.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
                            All that time with the electronic interference probably builds up over time. The damage has been done. Think of it like getting exposed to radiation. You can go ahead and put that uranium away now but that won't get rid of the cancer.
                            CRAP.

now i have to bother my parents to buy my college computer sooner.
                            thread killer

Comment

more likely the monitor's just crapping out on you. I've never heard of magnets causing the picture to completely disappear like that. they do cool shit to colors though.. generally fixable by hitting the degauss button a few times. but anyways, magnets usually don't render (crt) monitors completely useless, they just bend the electron rays out of alignment. hence the trippy colors.

if you're getting a college computer, see if you can convince the parents to buy you an lcd monitor. it makes moving a hell of a lot easier, which you're likely to be doing at one point or another in college.

Comment

Working...
                              X