PEOPLE GOOD WITH COMPUTERS PLEASE help me! NEED ASSISTANCE! PLEASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEOPLE GOOD WITH COMPUTERS PLEASE help me! NEED ASSISTANCE! PLEASE

Okay, on this laptop of my friends (HP ze5615ca I believe, it is) there is a problem:

When I put my ethernet cable into the NIC card in the back, it says "Enabled" in the Network Connections manager thing, but then within 1-2 seconds, it says "Network Cable Unplugged" in the taskbar, then, it goes away and goes back to "Enabled" yet again, and 1-2 seconds later, it says "Network Cable Unplugged" again in the taskbar. It loops like this, as mentioned, every 1-2 seconds.

I have no idea what the problem is.

I've reinstalled Windows XP since, twice, on two different distros.

Also, i'm having a similar problem with a cross-over cable that directly connects between the laptop to this PC, and it's doing the same thing, so it's not the router or anything stupid like that.

I've re-installed the network device drivers for the NIC on the laptop as well.

I'm just curious if it could be a faulty connection, dirty perhaps, bad drivers, or a setup issue somewhere.

Any help would be good.
    -Cyber Strike
    Former TW SMod

Tech Support

Comment

It may actually be the cable itself. Try replacing it. Also try contacting your isp they might have a few suggestions.

Comment

What kind of internet service do you have?
        Did you try:
        1) Changing the IP address
        2) Changing the subnet mask
        3) Changing the default gateway
        1:Hydride> who we play next week
        1:ReNdErED> Pandora
        1:ReNdErED> gulp
        1:ReNdErED> if i see Ease im shiftin across map

1:Hydride> best feeling EVER
        1:Hydride> its like if you get sacked and when the pain goes away feeling x 999999999999999999999999
        1:cranium> uve obviously never fucked a plastic bag filled with jelly inbetween the couch cushions
        1:menelvagor> ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFL
        1:cranium> talk about a feeling

Comment

Laptop

I tried various cords, and I tried a direct-link connection which has nothing to do with my ISP. Also, i'm about 100% sure the onboard ethernet NIC is screwed up. I also have an external NIC (USB) and I tried that, and it works fine. I'm going to get the piece replaced.

Thanks again for all the replies.
          -Cyber Strike
          Former TW SMod

Comment

Have you tried updating the chipset drivers? Check out the manufacturers website for those drivers.

A second possibility is the router, if you are trying to connect it into a router?
            I'd suggest updating the firmware on the router if that is the case. It might not be a problem with the laptop at all, but the router.. so take a look at that too

Comment

Did you read what was said at all?

I would have the NIC checked on the laptop, seems like a hardware failure. If you've tried everything with drivers, cables and so on.
              Last edited by Darkmoor; 05-22-2005, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X