No signal to monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No signal to monitor

I've been trying to install a video card into my new computer, and the same problem occurs: the computer powers on but the monitor remains dark and displays the message: "no signal". At first, I thought the problem was the power supply. Sure enough, the PSU that came in the computer had an output of 300W while the video card, (GeForce 7600GS PCI-E) listed 350W as a requirement.

I bought a new PSU with a 400W output and replaced the old one. To be careful, I tested it out without the video card installed, and everything loaded up as it should. Thinking that would solve the issue, I tried to install the video card again, but the same problem occured.

However, when I remove the video card and reboot with my monitor plugged into the onboard card, everything works fine. The problem only occurs when the new card is in the PCI-E slot. This also tells me that the monitor works perfectly and isn't the source of the problem.

This also tells me that the problem isn't with the PSU (though the new one is more than the necessary requirements) but with the installation of the card. A quick google of the problem found many instances where people suggested that the card wasn't fully inserted or wasn't firmly fit into the slot. I tried to see if the card is loose but it was set in solidly. There wasn't any room for wobbling at all. The fan on the video card does spin, so I know it is at least receiving power.

I am running Windows Vista on the computer, but that shouldn't be an issue as the monitor doesn't receive a signal on start-up, before the OS even loads. That suggests that it's also not a driver issue, but I was sure to uninstall the previous drivers first.

I've also gone into the BIOS and had it set to detect the PCI-E slot as the default video source, but the same problem occurs no matter which setting was used.

The computer is a dual-core Athlon 4200+ with 1GB of RAM. It has an nVidia GeForce 6150 onboard video card. It has a PCI-E 16x slot. More information on specs can be found here.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

Test each RAM stick one at a time in each slots, remove everything from the system except for the video card, processor and RAM. Make sure that the extra power supply is attached to the video card. You said the PCI-E is set to the default.. see if there's an option to disable the on-board video (unless you still need the computer to trouble shoot in working order).
    Last edited by Kolar; 02-26-2007, 03:22 AM.

Comment

If this was XP I doubt you'd be having a problem, and why you're even using Vista is beyond me, have you tried keeping your vga plug on your motherboard's port when you boot instead of the pci card? Maybe you'd get signal then and have ot until it's "properly installed" with whatever the hell that'll take due to how awesome vista is.

Format the drive, get your money back on vista, go back to multics, problem solved.
      sage

Comment

Sounds power related to me. The wattage of your PS might be high enough, question is what is being delivered to the card slot. It should be around 12V/20A, if I were you I would get a multimeter and check the power at the PCI-E connector.

Comment

Also, don't rule out the possibility of the card itself being faulty.

Do you either have another computer, or perhaps a friend who is kind enough to let you use theirs, so you can discover if it's the card itself.
          USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
          ---A few minutes later---
          9:cool koen> you scorereseted
          9:Kim> UM
          9:Kim> i didn't
          9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
          9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
          9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
          9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Not one with a PCI-E slot, no. I'll take the card back tonight and try to see what they can do with it.

Comment

bios how about u install the software, go into display properties, disable onboard, enable the video card REMEMBER TO KEEP THE CARD IN ALSO JUST CHANGE THE MONITOR PLUG FROM ONBOARD TO VID CARD, i had some problem like this on XP and doing that worked for me, was doing same thing, no signal..

Comment

TK, are you sure that your monitor will handle the default resolution/scan rate the new card is putting out? I have this exact behavior when this occurs.

Comment

TK, I'm not computer savvy so I can't suggest what to do that may fix it. What I can suggest is that you go to Tiger Direct (Woodbine + Hwy 7) the guys in there are pretty good to talk to about this kinda thing. Good store to buy stuff in as well, usually cheaper than Future Shop or Best Buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
                    TK, are you sure that your monitor will handle the default resolution/scan rate the new card is putting out? I have this exact behavior when this occurs.
                    Hmm... It is a wide screen monitor, so that might be possible. I'm going to have to move my computer down to the basement where my old CRT monitors are to test that out. If that's the problem then I'm a bit disappointed about the card.

Comment

Working...
                    X