Linux Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Wine

Eh, just switched from windows. I have no fcking clue how to follow the guides that already exist for this. I have the brand new version of Ubuntu Linux so, I'm not even sure if the old guides will work... or which one will... and I probably have some questions for the guides that are out there that could work. Soooooooo, someone want to walk me through this?

Originally posted by Klean-X View Post
    Eh, just switched from windows. I have no fcking clue how to follow the guides that already exist for this. I have the brand new version of Ubuntu Linux so, I'm not even sure if the old guides will work... or which one will... and I probably have some questions for the guides that are out there that could work. Soooooooo, someone want to walk me through this?
    i used ubuntu around the 6.06 release, and back then the instructions were pretty confusing, i dont know if they have been updated but i'd just save yourself the time and enjoy not playing ss for awhile, especially if you are new to linux
    NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

install WINE and follow method 1 of http://wine.getcontinuum.com/

nice and easy
      Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
      Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

Yea... I was messing with it earlier. I'm completely NEW though.
        Step 3..... featured below has some coding. I assume that goes into the terminal as a command right? And that is only 3 commands right?

Not sure why it wasn't working right, unless I was coding in the wrong place.

"
        3. Before you run Continuum, execute the following commands:

wget http://subspace2.net/kernel32.dll.so -O /tmp/kernel32.dll.so

sudo mv /usr/lib/wine/kernel32.dll.so /usr/lib/wine/kernel32.dll.so.old

sudo cp /tmp/kernel32.dll.so /usr/lib/wine/kernel32.dll.so

"

Comment

are you useing the latest wine ? just downloaded from the package manager ?

dunno this fecked up for me and was confusing at first but i was using fedora13 and not ubuntu. it does all work though but might require a bit of fiddling if you didn't get it to work straight away and also the updates overwrote the kernel32 and had to be replaced sometimes.

you are right those commands you listed are terminal commands and what they are doing is downloading the patched file someone has made and storing it in your tmp files. then backing up the original wine kernel then finaly moving the patched one into place.

if your running wine 32 bit on a 64 bit ubunto you need to make sure you moved it to the right library as it might be lib32 i cant remember.

http://forums.ssgn.net/topic/24490-c...64#entry267364

Bundt posted up his file and says it was working with the default wine in ubuntu 10.04 i've still a kernel32 from fedora13 but i cant remember teh version of wine it was for.

finnaly some other info if you can be arsed reading it
          http://wiki.minegoboom.com/index.php...uum_under_Wine
          In my world,
          I am King

sigpic

Comment

Yea I'm using the latest version of Wine, I've been playing with it for awhile. I've tried using the beta and the non-beta. I'm on 32 Bit Ubunto on a 32 bit computer. I run the commands and that seems to go smoothly no errors or anything. I can run the installer for continuum, but after continuum is installed it does not open. I'm trying to open it from it's directory too with the use of Wine and it still won't work.

Also after step 3 commands, wine is rendered completely useless and won't even open notepad which is the standard software that comes with wine.

I think I have determined it has something to do with the version of Ubunto I'm using. It is 11.04 the newest version, soooo if someone has that version and directions for how to get this shit working that would be great.

Seriously though, I'm about to download some cracked windows, so I can dual boot and play all the games that I use to waste time with.

Comment

think that guide was written for an older version of wine not automatically updated so you might have to replace it or learn to patch it yourself if teh updates break it.

did you try the one Bundt posted in the thread i linked to ? it worked form me in fedora and he said it worked on ubuntu 10.04 and the latest version is 10.10 i think anyhow here is a link to it

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6516117/Cont...ernel32.dll.so
              so save that and in step 3
              sudo cp /tmp/kernel32.dll.so /usr/lib/wine/kernel32.dll.so
              the bolded bit should be the path to your downloaded file

if you post up your version of wine i can check what one i had working on fedora but i'm too tired to boot into tonight as i use linux mint now and i'm going to bed soon :P

oh yeah if your thinking of a dual boot you should also check out virtualbox , it's a bit like wine but you can install an os virtually, i did that for my flatmate who needed I.E. for banking and some poker site - worked well for that

http://www.virtualbox.org/
              In my world,
              I am King

sigpic

Comment

Eh got it working for the most part, thanks to that other .dll file you found.

Sound is a bit fcked up, but I guess I can play without it... already tried the emulator fix or whatever, but it didn't work.

BUT YAY, now I can play again!

Comment

ur an idiot for switching to ubuntu from windows, i know ur an idiot and can call u this cuz i jhave done exactly this before. you will regret it, jerome is right.

Comment

Working...
                  X