Partitioning on my Compaq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partitioning on my Compaq

Yeah, I bought a craptastic compaq craputer awhile ago, and it has a partitioned D:\ drive which is named SYSTEM_SAV. It takes up roughly 4 GB of my 80gig HD. Can i remove it and how?
    TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
    TelCat> hoes get paid :(
    TelCat> i dont

Get this program called Partition Magic 8.0. When you start it up side click on the secondary Partition (D:\) and click on merge with your main partition. Then when you exit, apply the settings. It will reboot and merge the partitions together.

Comment

A small disclaimer there... Partition Magic is a jank program at best. Yes, most of the time it works pretty well, but the company itself makes no promises that it'll even work at all. Not only that, but it has the strong possibility of hosing the entire drive. I do high-level computery stuff as a career, and in 6 years of senior admin'ing, I've sent two HDs to data recovery as a direct result of someone trying to get cheeky with PM.

Make sure you back up anything that you would mind losing--that's all I'm saying.
      Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

Plus, depending on how the partition is set up, and whether you're using Windows 2000/XP, there's a possibility that you could just wipe the partition and extend another partition on the drive (assuming you have more than just one).
        Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

My primary 80gig is partitioned into only 2 drives, the C: and D:. Ppl told me to use partition magic to merge the 2 drives, but I was really just wondering if i need the SYSTEM_SAV (D:\) drive to keep my computer working? Oh, btw, i'm running windows XP home - with SP2.

edit: I had this computer for roughly 2 years - i've never touched anything in the D:\ drive cuz i thought i needed it for winxp to work.
          Last edited by Bioture; 11-11-2003, 10:24 AM.
          TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
          TelCat> hoes get paid :(
          TelCat> i dont

Comment

mines partitioned into C:, D: and E:

nice fact for your viewing pleasure.

Comment

Well as he just said Windows partitions your hd into 2 drives the other one is the backup drive used for System Restore feature in Windows XP and other stuff. (BTW be careful when deleting profiles; i deleted one of my old ones and now windows cant start up lol ; so I'll not be on SS for a while)
              -------------------------------------------

Washington Webteam
                   - http://crwash.org

Comment

yeah my D: is for backup, and E: for restore.

i completely reformatted them and saved 3 gb across them! woo,
                C: for games
                D: for downloaded stuff and useless things
                E: for bugger all.

Comment

Working...
                X