Public Arena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Arena

I've fortunately found some time to play Pub recently and relive my days as a lagass Shark, but it is incredibly boring and uncompetitive. Most of the 'players' can be found in spectator mode talking about Trump or Jesus, while we have (if we're lucky) two 7 v 7 teams with only a few of those from each team going for flag. The rest make up private frequencies in a gigantic map. If we focus on the actual game itself, we may have players stay or play longer;

[] Move players in Spectator Mode (bar Staff) who aren't playing to a different arena where they can talk about whatever they want. We had a bot who removed afkers before and we could do the same again.
    [] Remove Private Frequencies or make them purchasable. Enabling private frequencies is like having a watered down Coke, it's absolutely disgusting and that's what you get in Public, watered down gaming. Unfortunately we don't have the population to fulfill all these games within a game, but removing private frequencies will help make these games more fun. Players can still duel in the spawn area, players can still LeviTerr, and players can still base even if there are only two freqs.
    [] Make the map smaller to condense the action and gaming

Regards,

"What is it? Um . . . what do you want it to be?" ?€”Juzba, Izzet tinker
    • Shark
    • Dicer
    • Sager
    • Trench Wars Map Uploader

Said all this before many times, got ignored many times.

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Moving players out of spec to another arena would likely result in a big drop in the already quite small population. Many will watch the game and talk as they do, hopping in occasionally. Banning spectating as an activity seems quite extreme.

What's the intent behind banning spectating as an activity? To prevent them from talking? In that case, wouldn't advocating for permanent blueout for spectators accomplish the same goal? Or is there something to be gained by having them completely out of the arena, so that it looks as if there are far less people in the zone than usual?

Disabling private frequencies could work, though I'm not sure if it interferes with the duel code. If many people seem to agree on this, there's no reason it shouldn't be tried. Buying private freqs is also an interesting idea, and probably not too difficult to implement.

The map hasn't changed in a very long time, and some of the reason people come back is because of that: in a world where everything changes, dies, goes away, you can come back and see the same old TW. Nostalgia is a large part of the appeal for a very large part of the population. If this were to be done, any idea of how you think the map should be trimmed down? (Also, worth noting, low-pop spawn accomplishes much of what's intended here, if I'm not mistaken.)
        "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
        -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Qan how about we dev what i want because i can actually code a little bit and we ignore the forum people who won't even chip into dev. We could have finished my proposed project by now if you weren't busy being lap-dog on the forums.

You don't need to ban private frequencies. A compromise would be to limit them to 1 priv freq. Or open up private frequencies when the game is big enough.

For spectators make the bot detect 0-0 in the persons score, and make it also able to determine how long that 0-0 has been there, and notice when that person hasn't typed in spec chat for awhile (15 minutes) with these three pieces of info in mind the bot will move them to an AFK arena.

For limiting spec chat, you can setup a system where people need to play the game to earn typing time. Every minute of play grants 15 seconds typing. So one hour gives 15 minutes typing. It's a 1/4 ratio. You can also just adjust the time required to play and time given to type. Those are just examples. Of course this would be zone wide and apply to pub chat too.

Comment

I'm not sure how many people in Spec are watching the game, but I do like your idea about having a blueout for Spectators. I presume players may feel more inclined to play if there is no one to talk to in Spec...

There are simply not enough resources to deal with a private freq and compete with the other main freq at the same time. Splitting the players to two main freqs still allows players to Duel / LT / Base and counter the other team.

I fear players might lose interest if they keep flying around a big map with no one to fight.

I feel some of these changes may increase the range and intensity of gaming throughout the day.
            "What is it? Um . . . what do you want it to be?" ?€”Juzba, Izzet tinker
            • Shark
            • Dicer
            • Sager
            • Trench Wars Map Uploader

Comment

/agree with MF

Comment

what mootland farmer does sound compelling (and im all for trying what he is saying btw)...but want to add...

its not. that. hard. to do this:

https://imgur.com/9Mz56mH.png

https://imgur.com/i6IqDDj.png

https://imgur.com/rnlCrfW.png

why not at least try to focus from 4pm-12am EST? where is staff at these times? do we have enough available in pub?

see the reason for these times in the population during the day here (22:00-6:00=4pm-12am EST): https://imgur.com/9biXAJK.png and https://imgur.com/0hd3JCQ.png

Comment

Working...
                X