Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Should we limit certain kinds of speech in TW?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Falconeer View Post
    Why aren't you on AS3 already, this is something I've drilled Beer Hunter about for DSB for 5 years now. It takes 1 week to officially move to AS3 in DSBs case and this guy hasn't done it in 5 years. Now you know why I shit on staff everywhere, thank beer hunter. In DSB you literally have to just apply Jowies plugins so the bots work, and it would take a day or two to test on the test server. For TW it might be more involved but still possible. The fact that you're using some antiquated system for server hosting shows you're wasting your fucking time policing people instead of developing. If I ran this zone I would have pushed for AS3 and been there already, and I would have had a ton more moderating and developing options open to me by now as a result. And bullshit to the age old excuse that it's unstable. Make bots if you're going to fuck up module coding and crash the server. With Bots AS3 is perfectly fine. I don't see devastation crashing, not even once a year.
    We'd need to also start from a new billing server, and have all remaining SSC zones switch over, because Priit will not respond to any communication. He will not whitelist a replacement TW server, he will not provide us with the files on the current server, he will not even reply to verify he has received communication.

    A new billing server means all names would be reset. We'd have a rush of name hoarders swiping up any name they could remember. A lot of time would need to be spent verifying identities via MID/IP lookups in unreliable databases.

    There was a push to move to ASSS at one point, and everything was ready to go, but one TW sysop dissented. I'm still not sure which would have been the right way to go, especially with the total loss of all account info due to switching billing servers. The cost is very high. Also, unrelated, our server bills would go up, as Priit pays for the TW/Chaos/EG server. It's not cheap; I've seen the bill. Though we could get by with something much cheaper these days.

    Originally posted by Raizin View Post
    literally Hitler at this point.
    Hey Raiz, how's it been? If you're referring to me, to make it clear again for those who haven't read through the thread, I don't support this kind of measure, and would quit if it went into effect. It's like performing heart surgery with a chainsaw.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by qan View Post
      Preliminary vote tally before verification:

      10 in favor, or 20.83%
      38 opposed, or 79.17%

      If it's important for anyone, I can come up with a way of showing unique identities without giving away who exactly voted which way. (Maybe just a list of those who voted would be enough? That's the way it's done in most elections, showing who voted, and not what they voted for.)
      Save your time, 10 isn't enough Yes votes to base this on.
      At 48 votes in total I'm wondering whether people didn't know, don't care, or the population is just rip.

      If 79% of players actually want to keep this sort of chat, then this isn't a 2d spaceship game anymore, it's a chat bullshit online game.

      I don't play chat bullshit online, so unless something changes over the next few days, I'll be leaving.

      Comment


      • #63
        lol yeah lets try to dictate conversations now...horrendous idea

        the .?ignore function exists for a reason

        minimum moderation is the best moderation

        suk me dik
        1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

        1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

        Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

        Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

        Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by qan View Post
          We'd need to also start from a new billing server, and have all remaining SSC zones switch over, because Priit will not respond to any communication. He will not whitelist a replacement TW server, he will not provide us with the files on the current server, he will not even reply to verify he has received communication.

          A new billing server means all names would be reset. We'd have a rush of name hoarders swiping up any name they could remember. A lot of time would need to be spent verifying identities via MID/IP lookups in unreliable databases.

          There was a push to move to ASSS at one point, and everything was ready to go, but one TW sysop dissented. I'm still not sure which would have been the right way to go, especially with the total loss of all account info due to switching billing servers. The cost is very high. Also, unrelated, our server bills would go up, as Priit pays for the TW/Chaos/EG server. It's not cheap; I've seen the bill. Though we could get by with something much cheaper these days.


          Hey Raiz, how's it been? If you're referring to me, to make it clear again for those who haven't read through the thread, I don't support this kind of measure, and would quit if it went into effect. It's like performing heart surgery with a chainsaw.
          Qan here is how you handle that, you have people consent to providing you with their IP and other computer identifiable info before the biller goes up if they really want their original names, and you only grant this for 1 name, they have to choose which name. Personally I don't care, i only have a minor attachment to Falconeer, the real crises for everyone else (not for me) is if someone went around impersonating me and causing trouble. But basically you have people agree to an alias check. You store that data in an excel sheet, and then you give them back their original names on the biller by making the name yourself, perhaps you can even find a way to auto input 200 names with passwords pre-made yourself? And then email the people their names. Do this is all before the new biller comes up, so give it 6 months, spread the word every day, ask people etc.

          Regardless i could care less about the names because i see the big picture, we're getting our own biller, our own servers, and finally the freedom to be on AS3 and have more freedom with development, and most importantly an active server host that actually talks. It's a big win. I recommend Argyle, Jowie, Yourself, for the job. Space hiker has been good for the community too as far as i'm aware? It might even provoke Priitk to come back. If he shut down continuum it might be good too. Games like Infantry, ARC, etc never died when they lost their clients, they made new clients/found ways to come back. It might be the push the new client developers need to stay active and finish, and we have the contact info of the whole community. 600 on steam, 400 on discord, 400+ on facebook, and grand scale mailing lists. right now there are at least 3 client devs i know of working on a replacement for continuum.

          The more important issue is that someone who doesn't personally attack people, ban them etc, is in charge of these things. I don't want to be banned just because someone doesn't like me, nobody does, and no one wants to feel like they have to walk on egg shells or be liked, this isn't highschool.

          Also keep in mind one of the big issues with the game is name hoarding. Maybe you could make it so the new biller only accepts 2 names per an IP at least? or minimally we can make it so names expire if the person doesn't logon after 5 years, regardless of the hours on the name. or if they have 500+ hours the name can still expire if they don't logon for 1 year? etc. right now name expire rates are a joke.
          Last edited by Falconeer; 11-18-2018, 12:32 PM.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Rab View Post

            Save your time, 10 isn't enough Yes votes to base this on.
            At 48 votes in total I'm wondering whether people didn't know, don't care, or the population is just rip.

            If 79% of players actually want to keep this sort of chat, then this isn't a 2d spaceship game anymore, it's a chat bullshit online game.

            I don't play chat bullshit online, so unless something changes over the next few days, I'll be leaving.
            Rab people are opposed to an extreme form of moderation, there is something in the world called compromise though. Basically your other option are the things i suggested. Which is to moderate extreme forms of speech like racism/sexism. I bet we'd get a more 50/50 vote on that. At any rate if we moved to AS3 we could have automated systems in place to make the game more enjoyable and less of a bullshit online chat game.

            Also that's the problem i mentioned too, unless we get 200 votes, the votes will be skewed...

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Falconeer View Post
              Also that's the problem i mentioned too, unless we get 200 votes, the votes will be skewed...
              Yeah, wasn't worried about that because I was sure it would come out 200-20 my way. Shit happens, I'll just join the rest of 2018 and play something else.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Rab View Post
                Yeah, wasn't worried about that because I was sure it would come out 200-20 my way. Shit happens, I'll just join the rest of 2018 and play something else.
                In what universe do you live in? Why would the community want strict enforcement on speech? Given the poll results (4:1 opposes the null hypothesis), you seem to have a lack of insight on what the public wants. Logical human beings utilize objective data and truths to influence their decisions, not personal biases.

                Originally posted by Rab View Post

                Save your time, 10 isn't enough Yes votes to base this on.
                At 48 votes in total I'm wondering whether people didn't know, don't care, or the population is just rip.

                If 79% of players actually want to keep this sort of chat, then this isn't a 2d spaceship game anymore, it's a chat bullshit online game.

                I don't play chat bullshit online, so unless something changes over the next few days, I'll be leaving.

                Also, your argument about insufficient sample size is incredibly misguided. In statistical analysis an adequate sample size is based on the population and varies dramatically. Given the current active population of TW, n = 48 is an adequate size with a 4:1 opposing restricting speech. It would be a statistical anomaly for the public opinion to reverse if they were to poll more people.
                Last edited by Lrim's Turtle; 11-20-2018, 01:23 PM.

                Comment


                • #68
                  ur still a cunt tho

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Rab View Post
                    I don't play chat bullshit online, so unless something changes over the next few days, I'll be leaving.
                    It's not likely to be rolled out in the next few days, but we've been testing a solution, and the results are encouraging.
                    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
                    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Care to tell us what it is?

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by qan View Post
                        It's not likely to be rolled out in the next few days, but we've been testing a solution, and the results are encouraging.
                        The best solution is to move to AS3 on your own server and biller so you have coding freedom; in java, python, c+... and the ability to implement so many more things. Why isn't this a no brainer? Start today and next year you could be done. Instead you'll say "no" and another 6 years will go by with an empty zone like DSB. So much fail all the time. For the love of fucking god, you're busy, fine? but start today a little bit every day, and you'd be done in a year. There is ZERO reason to put this off for 6 years.

                        If people just did a little bit of dev a day we'd have content out our asses by now, and all be on AS3 back in 2014. It's really sad that nobody listens to me.

                        Lrim we dont want a sample size, we want 80% of the active daily players to vote, not the volunteers who feel strong enough about the position to vote. If you know statistics you'll know it's a volunteer sample, and therefore its shit.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X