Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: Who should be the next Dean of Staff in Trench Wars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL: Who should be the next Dean of Staff in Trench Wars?

Hello, fellow citizens of Trench Wars.

The time has come to decide upon the future of this beautiful zone. I have given out my ideas on what I would like to change in TW to make it more enjoyable, and now it is time for YOU guys to step up and make a change aswell.

THIS IS THE OFFICIAL POLL FOR THE DEAN OF STAFF POSITION! PLEASE VOTE ACCORDING TO YOUR OWN DESIRES, WISHES AND LOGIC! LET'S MAKE TW GREAT AGAIN! THE POLL ENDS IN 2 WEEKS, DECEMBER 5TH, AT 12PM EST!
    Henry Saari
    63.16%
    Wiibimbo
    36.84%
    "Action is the real measure of intelligence. "
    Napoleon Hill

wiibimbo>I'm gonna take u out next week for a beer and pizza at Leonardo's...no homo tho! I prefer big boobs
    Dral>I can get implants

GOOD
    U
    Leland

Comment

To be clear, this is not, in fact, an official poll. Even if it were, nothing would stop sockpuppet accounts from stuffing the poll.

Originally posted by wiibimbo
      I have given out my ideas on what I would like to change in TW
      But very little about how you would actually implement them.

Some examples with details you haven't thought out or explained, taken from the other thread:

- "Change up maps in pub": who will make these maps, including the LVZ overlays for the 3-stage base, and all the coordinates for FR spawn, midspawn, safes, duel boxes, etc? It's incredibly time-consuming. You've said yourself that you won't have that much time to volunteer. Is this task delegated to some future underling of yours, someone who has yet to appear?
      - Restructure TW Staff by getting rid of the dead weight: and replace them with whom, exactly? Everyone who is on the Do Not Rehire list? We already have a hard quota, so that there is actually very little dead weight on staff anymore.
      - "Revive leagues": Leagues work when the community has time to plan and to play. We were able to have TWDT recently only because everyone came together and wanted to do it (and we'll be trying to get the community to come together again for another after the new year). Meanwhile TSL only runs because there are people like Henry (or, let's be honest, pretty much only Henry) who are willing to consistently and tirelessly log on for every shift and host it. As for TWD, we attempted to revive it 20 different ways, but unfortunately there just aren't that many people with the time to manage a squad or recruit new talent anymore.
      - More events: the sad fact is that almost nobody in the community is willing to host events, or learn how to host them. There are those who say, "I would host events, if you only hired me!" Speaking to these people: there are very few people we won't hire, so why not give it a shot? If you can host a mere 10 events a month and are willing to go through ZH training beforehand, that's all you need.

You also seem to be unclear about the role of Dean of Staff. The Dean has nothing to do with pub, leagues or events. The Dean is in charge of lower-staff hires and fires, and with resolving problems between members of staff. Sysops promote department heads (though the Dean is in almost all cases consulted on this), who then run departments. But sysops do not dictate exactly how departments are run, and certainly neither does the Dean.

tl;dr: There is no "benevolent dictator" position in TW for which you can apply or campaign.
      "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
      -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Originally posted by qan View Post
        To be clear, this is not, in fact, an official poll. Even if it were, nothing would stop sockpuppet accounts from stuffing the poll.

Some examples with details you haven't thought out or explained, taken from the other thread:

- "Change up maps in pub": who will make these maps, including the LVZ overlays for the 3-stage base, and all the coordinates for FR spawn, midspawn, safes, duel boxes, etc? It's incredibly time-consuming. You've said yourself that you won't have that much time to volunteer. Is this task delegated to some future underling of yours, someone who has yet to appear?
        - Restructure TW Staff by getting rid of the dead weight: and replace them with whom, exactly? Everyone who is on the Do Not Rehire list? We already have a hard quota, so that there is actually very little dead weight on staff anymore.
        - "Revive leagues": Leagues work when the community has time to plan and to play. We were able to have TWDT recently only because everyone came together and wanted to do it (and we'll be trying to get the community to come together again for another after the new year). Meanwhile TSL only runs because there are people like Henry (or, let's be honest, pretty much only Henry) who are willing to consistently and tirelessly log on for every shift and host it. As for TWD, we attempted to revive it 20 different ways, but unfortunately there just aren't that many people with the time to manage a squad or recruit new talent anymore.
        - More events: the sad fact is that almost nobody in the community is willing to host events, or learn how to host them. There are those who say, "I would host events, if you only hired me!" Speaking to these people: there are very few people we won't hire, so why not give it a shot? If you can host a mere 10 events a month and are willing to go through ZH training beforehand, that's all you need.

You also seem to be unclear about the role of Dean of Staff. The Dean has nothing to do with pub, leagues or events. The Dean is in charge of lower-staff hires and fires, and with resolving problems between members of staff. Sysops promote department heads (though the Dean is in almost all cases consulted on this), who then run departments. But sysops do not dictate exactly how departments are run, and certainly neither does the Dean.

tl;dr: There is no "benevolent dictator" position in TW for which you can apply or campaign.
        This is not true qan. I gave plenty of plans in the game while talking to the players. I will reveal my ideas and visions in full once elected but not before. And you know why? Because if I do it now, then Henry will just use them and claim them to be his. Am no idiot.

I'm willing to do maps wherever, even in pub. A few years ago I was the one doing maps under Witness for a long time. And people loved them. Just need to get back into it but from what I remember it's not that hard.

I've got a few very nice people who are willing to step up and do work if I'm "in charge". Example: Materix said he would love to host more if given the chance, skyforger would do stuff for hockey, etc. Not naming all of them, of course.

As for reviving leagues: I already showed my plan in a big thread I made a while ago. Sure, TWD might not get rebooted right away or at all, but we can do other stuff. Why not make a tourny league? Or elim? Or just a pub duel league that resets every month or so? The simplest ideas are usually the best.

And again, I got a few nice people who are willing to host again. Might even contact some old staffers I got as friends if this happens.

Last but not least, that's where you are wrong. If I was Dean of Staff, I'd be involved with everything. Heck, I'd even be willing to do most of the work if I knew how (unless it's coding ofc). I've seen on TW site that many Staff roles are even empty atm. How bad is that?

Also when you say Henry is a beast when he runs TSL alone: let me remind you that it was me when TSL first came out that was hosting TSL pretty much 10-12 hours a day almost every day while Henry was smoking. So don't tell me he does shit: he doesn't. And now that TSL is almost fully automated he just has to open a league, wait for players to come, make a zoner or 2, close it and start the bot. That's real hard work man.
        Napoleon Hill

wiibimbo>I'm gonna take u out next week for a beer and pizza at Leonardo's...no homo tho! I prefer big boobs
        Dral>I can get implants

Comment

Cres
          TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

I'm surprised pps, manco, and tower aren't on the short list for dean.

Comment

Originally posted by Lrim's Turtle View Post
              I'm surprised pps, manco, and tower aren't on the short list for dean.
              This isn't a troll list, so please, stop trolling. This is a serious, official poll and let's keep it civil.
              Napoleon Hill

Dral>I can get implants

Comment

Originally posted by qan View Post

You could hire me as staff for starters, like let me start that project i've been asking you about qan. Text has nothing to do with actions, no one literally has any evidence at all that i'm some harmful power abuser, and if anything aside from being annoying with trolling people who are 99% of the time vets and hard trolls, my text actually signals i'm strongly against: power abuse, personal club houses, bans, that i believe in proportional punishments, that i'm not against moderate moderation, and that i believe strongly in zone development. I have arenas in DSB if i wanted to crash servers you can do that with the settings file in the arena, I've made maps and LVZs, ran over 5 squads, including in DSB and HZ, and i even made DSB a discord channel. What's the issue here? I even got dsb website full on access, and when i thought beer was allowing power abusing mods the DSB site was never even touched with my access. I actually backed it up so i could work on it later. Proves that all your fears are BS so far. Let me help dev so I can keep proving you wrong. As well as spend my energy not fighting you but working with you.

I disagree mtine with getting rid of dead weight btw. You could just hire staff and put the inactives on an MIA list, no reason to fire people who don't abuse.

You should have an out of game panel of people who act as a jury and handle zone bans, like a supreme court. They would be completely impartial. The ban dispute could still work under the current system but an out of game jury helps to really settle something. Though no one should be getting banned anymore anyway...

Move to AS3. Own server and own biller. Priority for TW and for DSB.
                Last edited by Falconeer; 11-22-2018, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Falconeer View Post

I disagree mtine with getting rid of dead weight btw. You could just hire staff and put the inactives on an MIA list, no reason to fire people who don't abuse.

You should have an out of game panel of people who act as a jury and handle zone bans, like a supreme court. They would be completely impartial. The ban dispute could still work under the current system but an out of game jury helps to really settle something. Though no one should be getting banned anymore anyway...
                  We can discuss this if I'm elected, sure. Am no tyrant man. Am open for suggestions, even for people who just sit in spec as staffers and don't do anything.
                  Napoleon Hill

Dral>I can get implants

Comment

Originally posted by mtine View Post

We can discuss this if I'm elected, sure. Am no tyrant man. Am open for suggestions, even for people who just sit in spec as staffers and don't do anything.
                    For example, a moderator who only logs on once a week is still valuable for that 2 hours they are online, so long as they aren't abusive, plus there is some element of risk that you might find people who won't get mad and harm the zone in a fit of rage... so if you already eliminated that risk, then why get rid of a staffer? Ideally energy should be spent on getting staff active with new hires, which will motivate the dinosaurs to move after.

As well lets say it's not a moderator, but a coder... so you have an inactive coder on staff for 1 year. I would never fire a coder who is not abusive either. You have some development background so you know a lot of dev is based on motivation/energy/time... maybe it's not likely, but there is a chance the developer would become active... especially if you're not just firing them for having a busy life when they are a volunteer anyway. and if you won't kick coders because they are "valuable" i'm just arguing to apply that worth to a human being in general, everyone is valuable... i'd argue if they are terribly inactive to just move them around, and fill their shoes with someone else. at least have the conversation "hey you're really inactive and you haven't done this task and it's been quite a long time, i have someone ready to do this task so i'll let them do it." it's not really a firing, but saying we need to get shit done... and we can't wait for you. when the guys active that's great.

I agree there is a such thing as a bad volunteer, but i would surmise that a volunteer is only bad when they are hindering development. In the case of 1 guy who is the only guy who can upload files on the server and he's inactive, that is a horrible fucking volunteer, and any decent person would have left the game and passed on their access and position to someone else. Or minimally stayed in the game, and given access to those who want to work on the zone... in this way providing oversight, but not obstructing development.
                    Last edited by Falconeer; 11-22-2018, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Falconeer View Post

For example, a moderator who only logs on once a week is still valuable for that 2 hours they are online, so long as they aren't abusive, plus there is some element of risk that you might find people who won't get mad and harm the zone in a fit of rage... so if you already eliminated that risk, then why get rid of a staffer? Ideally energy should be spent on getting staff active with new hires, which will motivate the dinosaurs to move after.

As well lets say it's not a moderator, but a coder... so you have an inactive coder on staff for 1 year. I would never fire a coder who is not abusive either. You have some development background so you know a lot of dev is based on motivation/energy/time... maybe it's not likely, but there is a chance the developer would become active... especially if you're not just firing them for having a busy life when they are a volunteer anyway. and if you won't kick coders because they are "valuable" i'm just arguing to apply that worth to a human being in general, everyone is valuable... i'd argue if they are terribly inactive to just move them around, and fill their shoes with someone else. at least have the conversation "hey you're really inactive and you haven't done this task and it's been quite a long time, i have someone ready to do this task so i'll let them do it." it's not really a firing, but saying we need to get shit done... and we can't wait for you. when the guys active that's great.

I agree there is a such thing as a bad volunteer, but i would surmise that a volunteer is only bad when they are hindering development. In the case of 1 guy who is the only guy who can upload files on the server and he's inactive, that is a horrible fucking volunteer, and any decent person would have left the game and passed on their access and position to someone else. Or minimally stayed in the game, and given access to those who want to work on the zone... in this way providing oversight, but not obstructing development.
                      You basically described Henry here. Good job man!
                      Napoleon Hill

Dral>I can get implants

Comment

qan, pub just died because there is literally nobody on staff online, the teams fell apart, was like 15-6 in the end and one freq completely left. And now it's dead. Man, if only I was Dean...
                        Napoleon Hill

Dral>I can get implants

Comment

8 votes man this forum is LIT
                          TRENCH WARS BILLIONAIRE
                          (THX TO CHEECHOO/JURASSIC/EKKO/CUBONE27/BOMBED/SPOOKEDONE/AS BLOOD RUNS BLACK/GENERAL CHANG/LF/SPRACKLE/TEMUJIN/MERCEDES)
                          PRO FESTIVAL BUYERS:HAWTHORNE/PUREOWNAGE
                          AND OFC DUEL2 PARTNER CRIPPLE

Comment

Lol........... certain people should be banned from posting on forums ASAP, making this game look even worse than it is.

Henry #1 dean, TWDT is in the works once people get back from summer camp.

Comment

never heard of either of these people they even play the game? my vote is for Shrek, whomever that man or women is. we were a good duo not sure why, but playinf with him as terr was an unreal experience one im not sure to forget. for that Shrek gains, no, earns, my vote in this matter.

and some1 said this isnt an official vote.. ok bud..... r u saying we cant just make a poll and vote on the new leader hmmmm lol sounds like a plan, "The people who make peaceful revolution improbable, will make violent revolution inevitable." -Jay F. K.

Comment

Working...
                              X