Trench Wars Holiday Donation Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mythril View Post

This is why I don't bother engaging you and why kthx only needs to call you a faggot when you spam your embarrassing rambling. Look at how disorganized and incoherent your mind is. Read this paragraph you posted.

What the fuck are you talking about? There is no logic in this whatsoever. I'm literally just examining one paragraph out of the 4,000 you've written. They all impressively fail the test of reason and objectivity that you claim you love so much. Let's follow the sacred text written by the logic god himself:
    Who said anything about reason or logic or being a logic god? I said I'm the troll god. Secondly, my main point was that i don't actually come on the forums to insult and attack people. Every thread i post in i am going over some idea; some of the ideas i've debated on the forums so far 1) transparency when asking for money/donations 2) how to moderate properly, 3) why it's good to let people develop for the zone etc. I don't just go insulting people and derailing thread topics because i dislike the person. This is partly because unlike you guys i actually don't dislike anyone. You shit on me and I shit on you back, i take things on a case by case basis, if you want to act nice I'll act nice back and so on ad infinitum.

I believe this is a yes or no question, and I'm not entirely sure where you're gonna go with this. An interesting opening setup for sure. I honestly don't know the answer to the question though. I know he has been a squad cap in the past.. not so sure now man, I haven't been too active.
    Yeah it was a question, and it can be answered with yes or no.

Really? There's only two kinds of squad captains? But can't anyone literally just sign up and become a squad captain? Out of the 200 captains I've had, their complex personalities, gaps in skill level, knowledge, experience, social understanding, different ages... there were really only two kinds of them? Seems slightly simplistic but you're the logic god so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Wait, did we figure out if grasps was a squad captain or not? Fuck it, never mind. Keep going.
    It's a generalization of the various captains I met, they all have chips on their shoulder; be it from hockey zone, choas/proleague zone, or trench wars. There are exceptions, people who make squads not to feel self important but to actually help the game/zone, and not brag about how skilled they are or competent they are for fielding players. Generally subspace is full of assholes, like you! Why cry if 2ez? Why are you mad? Is it because I'm a better asshole than you are? Do you really want to be the best asshole in the game?

Whoa man slow the fuck down here. Take it easy for a sec while this next level logic detonates in my fucking brain.... Fuck ok you lost me. Aren't we doing just a little bit of mind reading with this equation? I'm on board if you wanna tell me some narcissists have been squad caps, that's a certainty. But what does this have to do with grasps being a squad captain? If we answered the question, would we even know which one of the two squad captains he is? Wait this is only the 2nd sentence of the paragaph? I have to get back to work soon. Ok I checked the website. Grasps is not a squad captain.
    You know why I asked if he's a captain? Because unlike the majority of people I don't assume shit about others. Whether he's captain or not doesn't actually make a difference to the point i made about captains either being good or bad in personality, and the criteria i listed for that.
    Last edited by Falconeer; 12-13-2018, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kthx View Post
      What's up mythril, why is that guy such a faggot?
      When you gonna suck my dick? I'm waiting.

Comment

There are 3 trolls in this thread, altho I might be mistaken and Grasps is actualy Falconeer. Who knows.

PS. Ixa, if you learn how to read, then you wouldn't be making such dumb posts as you do. You are starting to remind me of wicket666. Not a good direction to be going, mate.
        Last edited by mtine; 12-13-2018, 06:37 PM. Reason: Trying to teach Americans English is easier than teaching Ixadork and Jessup how to go positive in a dd.
        "Action is the real measure of intelligence. "
        Napoleon Hill

wiibimbo>I'm gonna take u out next week for a beer and pizza at Leonardo's...no homo tho! I prefer big boobs
        Dral>I can get implants

Comment

Originally posted by kthx View Post
          What's up mythril, why is that guy such a faggot?
          I'm gonna guess brain damage. Think he got caught in the shrapnel from one of his enormous logic bombs he dropped back in dsb.
          PattheBat> steadman your name is literally "a mean std"
          ogron> CM,OPN NMKAN

Comment

I'm gonna guess brain damage. Think he got caught in the shrapnel from one of his enormous logic bombs he dropped back in dsb.
            Cry more maybe your tears will kill me, i'll drown in them. Maybe after 20 years you can achieve a ban, zone wide and forum wide and discord wide.

Bring forum rules like grasps want, I'm actually not against it in the slightest. Lets see who lasts under a rule system. It won't be you because your personal dislike informs all your posts. Whereas I debate ideas. The only thing rules would change is I would ignore kthnx posts, and watch him get banned. And I would edit out/not include swear words in my posts, so you achieve a nicer version of the same thing i'm posting. Big change.
            Last edited by Falconeer; 12-13-2018, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Some folks were discussing options last night about the cost of the bot server. Looking at shrinking the size of the Linode. Probably doable, with a bit of work. It'll require some serious drive cleanup, scaling back from 6 CPUs to 4, and giving up 8GB of RAM. As long as we keep on the memory leaks I think we can function with 8. There may also be some redundant services running that we can trim back. Will be talking to dev folks more about this.

So, good news! If successful, we can move to a $40/mo plan + $10/mo backups, effectively doubling our time left.

Originally posted by Falconeer
              But you're essentially a sysop to dev, not to play moderator and police and judge people. When was the last time you deved anything? Beginning of this year? If moving the website/bot hosting brings the cost to half price you're already making big improvements.
              I'm a head sysop and also a dev. I'm not a sysop "in order to dev," in other words. That means I supervise the upper staff team and to a smaller extent the Dean of Staff. Did devwork as an SMod for something like 12 years off and on, headed up TWDev a few years, was the TWCore maintainer, started the now-defunct beta testing group, and occupied positions in a few ill-fated attempts at TW democracy, such as "Arbiter of Discourse" (LOL! Sounds really pompous ... DoCk>'s idea, not mine) and TW Council moderator. Bottom line: the two don't really overlap. They're two different jobs, and I take both fairly seriously.

I'll have you know I have over 600 confirmed ki-- er, bot commits in since the start of 2018, so you can drop trying bait me about not developing. In fairness, many are small, such as minor bugfixes. But I've hardly been slacking.
              "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
              -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Originally posted by qan View Post
                Some folks were discussing options last night about the cost of the bot server. Looking at shrinking the size of the Linode. Probably doable, with a bit of work. It'll require some serious drive cleanup, scaling back from 6 CPUs to 4, and giving up 8GB of RAM. As long as we keep on the memory leaks I think we can function with 8. There may also be some redundant services running that we can trim back. Will be talking to dev folks more about this.

So, good news! If successful, we can move to a $40/mo plan + $10/mo backups, effectively doubling our time left.

I'm a head sysop and also a dev. I'm not a sysop "in order to dev," in other words. That means I supervise the upper staff team and to a smaller extent the Dean of Staff. Did devwork as an SMod for something like 12 years off and on, headed up TWDev a few years, was the TWCore maintainer, started the now-defunct beta testing group, and occupied positions in a few ill-fated attempts at TW democracy, such as "Arbiter of Discourse" (LOL! Sounds really pompous ... DoCk>'s idea, not mine) and TW Council moderator. Bottom line: the two don't really overlap. They're two different jobs, and I take both fairly seriously.

I'll have you know I have over 600 confirmed ki-- er, bot commits in since the start of 2018, so you can drop trying bait me about not developing. In fairness, many are small, such as minor bugfixes. But I've hardly been slacking.
                I'm not baiting you, i was seriously asking the last time you developed anything major. A 10 minute job on a bot is just maintenance work? Tiny projects are great, they all add up in the end... but there are actually big projects you could be working on instead; like centralizing all the websites, making or heading a project to make a league site that handles every zones leagues, and transforming the trench wars site into a SUBSPACE wide site.. complete with a download for the game/explanation of the game and different zones, where people who click the trench wars button get re-directed to the trench wars site etc. You could have been working on what you just stated - making things more efficient so you require less donation money to keep things running. In other words I was correct in thinking critical and asking for more transparency. You could be devving the discord, that's actually a project that takes three days to make the discord 3x better than what it is currently etc. You could be taking steps to move to AS3... imo too, and become more self-sufficient and pave the path for moderation options that don't require many moderators.

Well in your eyes sysop is for that reason, but to me that level of access should prioritize merit and ability to help - either time-wise, by getting people more involved and more inclusive in leagues... or by actually developing; maps, tiles, lvzs, or code/websites. I don't really consider moderation as part of a reason for someone requiring sysop because DEVELOPMENT is what curbs trolls and enables an atmosphere that requires little moderation. If you were on an AS3 server and had an active development team, you'd have 10 times less issues than you have today with "trolls" or people. Look at hockey zone, it's essentially a zone with zero rules, and no rules on racism, and what do people do there? Do they spend time sitting in spec and trolling? or do they play the game and don't really want to bother with typing. That's what happens when something is a) interesting b) fun c) had proper attention given to it either through time or development.

Not to mention there are at least 2/3 zones that need outsourced development help. It's time we drop nationalism by zone, and start thinking of subspace as a global game that we need to elevate across the board. If people come to our game and see a bunch of shitty zones and 1 good developed zone, they won't be impressed. We need to treat the main zones as our baby, because they represent the best of different gameplays: Hockey zone is a no brainer, it's sports related, it's essentially the gateway zone into subspace as a whole. You can find so many people interested in sports/hockey and bring them to subspace just with that hook. DSB should be taken care of as a themed zone, with a wear them down type of gameplay, SVS is the original settings, EG is dumb but I guess I have to include it in this list. Etc.
                Last edited by Falconeer; 12-14-2018, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Hi myth
                  luv u
                  FIRST BASER TO MVP BACK TO BACK ROUNDS AND WIN IN TWDT-D FINALS - SEASON 24 2021
                  SPIDER KILL RACE WINNER 2022
                  SPIDER KILL RACE WINNER 2021
                  SPIDER KILL RACE WINNER 2020

TWLB CHAMP x4 dicE
                  TWLB FINALS MVP SEASON 10
                  TWLB FINALS MVP SEASON 11
                  TWLB FINALS MVP SEASON 15
                  TWLB FINALS MVP SEASON 16 /2017 TWDT SPIDER CHAMPION / MVP (MOST KILLS)
                  #1 RANKED TWL SPIDER FORBES MAGAZINE, OVER 40K KILLS IN TWLB (MOST IN TW HISTORY)

Comment

I?ll donate too
                    FIRST BASER TO MVP BACK TO BACK ROUNDS AND WIN IN TWDT-D FINALS - SEASON 24 2021
                    SPIDER KILL RACE WINNER 2022
                    SPIDER KILL RACE WINNER 2021
                    SPIDER KILL RACE WINNER 2020

TWLB CHAMP x4 dicE
                    TWLB FINALS MVP SEASON 10
                    TWLB FINALS MVP SEASON 11
                    TWLB FINALS MVP SEASON 15
                    TWLB FINALS MVP SEASON 16 /2017 TWDT SPIDER CHAMPION / MVP (MOST KILLS)
                    #1 RANKED TWL SPIDER FORBES MAGAZINE, OVER 40K KILLS IN TWLB (MOST IN TW HISTORY)

Comment

I have to agree with Falconeer, I'd also like transparency. At first read, I was completely fine with at least a $100 donation, without realizing it was with anonymity.

I donate around 10% of my adjusted gross income to charity annually. Is this considered a charitable contribution? For me to itemize and deduct a donation from my taxes, I need it to be so. Also, what written acknowledgment do you provide with regard to a donation? Say I were to donate $1,200 and cover a year of your expenses; I'm unable to rely on a PayPal receipt.

Also, please explain what the General Fund covers. Thank you!

Comment

This game is the best Trench Wars is the best zone Mythril is the best wb. I love you all
                        TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Panda Express View Post
                          I have to agree with Falconeer, I'd also like transparency. At first read, I was completely fine with at least a $100 donation, without realizing it was with anonymity.

I donate around 10% of my adjusted gross income to charity annually. Is this considered a charitable contribution? For me to itemize and deduct a donation from my taxes, I need it to be so. Also, what written acknowledgment do you provide with regard to a donation? Say I were to donate $1,200 and cover a year of your expenses; I'm unable to rely on a PayPal receipt.

Also, please explain what the General Fund covers. Thank you!
                          Unfortunately we're not a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit, so donations are not tax-deductible. We did take this to a lawyer at one point in time, but it was determined it wasn't really feasible, maybe due to the all-volunteer nature of the project. We'd also probably have to hire an accountant in that case, at least once a year. Sorry if this is a make-or-break condition for you to donate, but we don't have much choice there. Could just put in whatever you pay for a cup of coffee in the morning! Every dollar helps.

The General Fund in this case is just the "pay for the secondary server" fund. This server's main purpose is to run the bots, which provide game functionality across the zone. It also hosts an array of sites on the trenchwars.org domain, and runs our database, which is shared between the bots and the site.

Also, after a few hours of work today I've managed to free up some space on the server, so I think we'll be stepping down to the $50 a month service starting next month, if everything goes as planned.
                          "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
                          -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Originally posted by qan View Post
                            Unfortunately we're not a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit, so donations are not tax-deductible. We did take this to a lawyer at one point in time, but it was determined it wasn't really feasible, maybe due to the all-volunteer nature of the project. We'd also probably have to hire an accountant in that case, at least once a year. Sorry if this is a make-or-break condition for you to donate, but we don't have much choice there. Could just put in whatever you pay for a cup of coffee in the morning! Every dollar helps.

The General Fund in this case is just the "pay for the secondary server" fund. This server's main purpose is to run the bots, which provide game functionality across the zone. It also hosts an array of sites on the trenchwars.org domain, and runs our database, which is shared between the bots and the site.

Also, after a few hours of work today I've managed to free up some space on the server, so I think we'll be stepping down to the $50 a month service starting next month, if everything goes as planned.
                            Thank you for this reasonable explaination. I'm incredibly thankful for the time and effort you and others have put into making the game what it is. Thank you!

A large donation is I'm sorry to say off the table for me but I can do a smaller amount no problem. Is it possible to set up a monthly donation?

Comment

Honestly qan if the server was for someones personal use + subspace, that's actually fine too... the issue would then be you should probably be paying for the space your files take up on your own, and then hope the donations cover the subspace related stuff... again it's an issue of transparency. It may be that you or the other devs already pay a large percentage of the price and therefore you cover your personal items on the server. But the lack of transparency about that is still an issue, regardless if it works out and it's fair or not. I think people should be let in on the loop of what exactly is going on. How did you magically find all this space to free up from having a more hard line stance of there's nothing that can be done?

The reason it's fine to have personal files, is because buying a whole new server package just for yourselves, would be triple or double costs. It's more efficient to use 1 server package for everything. Just be open about it and people wont have a problem with this and you'll get more donators the more open you are.

Comment

This is important for me, might be able to help out. Hope we can most pitch in some money for this game.
                                TWDT Power Squadron Triple Crown Win 2018 Season. Base, Javelin and Warbird Medals.
                                TWDTB Season 15 Trench Wars Draft Basing: TWDTB Champion & Medal
                                TSLB All-Star Season 2: Medal 1 Win-Baser in 2 or 4 to 10 Zones('Grab the Flag')&Paladen Best Old Squad 50 Members-former whiterabbits squad, fan and member: Invincible
                                ~Babylon 5 spider insider.sigpic former No Surrender and No Surrender II,loyal to Anti-Scrub~ Kongregate Champion!

Comment

Working...
                                X