No announcement yet.

?go Base Captaincy Needs a List of Veteran Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forget it, you're pathologically crippled and need to turn everything into a fucking 9000 word debate about nothing to feel important. Absolutely insane.

I literally gave you a list of every relevant baser to have ever played from 2008-2019. I have the most comprehensive list of basers known to man based on statistics from over 25 TWLB and TWDT-B Seasons, the eye test, and earned titles, that includes 10x more names than TWDT. How would you even have a whitelist using TWDT ratings when so many players aren't in TWDT and don't have TWDT-B ratings?

You don't play this game, and you don't know what the hell you're doing.
    top 100 basers list

Comment

Good question. Why did you propose using TWDT ratings to begin with? (You realized a flaw in the plan, and had to pivot. That's totally normal.)

It just needs to be able to be reviewed by the community. That's all. I believe in your ability to judge basers. But you don't have the luxury of claiming people should be able to trust you.

My job isn't to feel important or win internet arguments. It's to ensure whatever we do, we do fairly. I'm (genuinely) sorry that sometimes that creates headaches for you and others, but that's the unfortunate cost of keeping a broad and diverse group of players happy. I'm doing my best to make it easier. It sounds like we've discovered a problem with the initial plan, which was to base a whitelist off of TWDT stars. It also sounds like rating all basers with even a simple rating is prohibitively time-consuming. And unfortunately, nobody can be trusted to create a qualitatively-defined whitelist without bias. So it looks like we need to work at this from another angle. There have been many other solutions proposed here; maybe one of these could accomplish roughly the same effect, perhaps with a little tweaking?

This is dev. It's sometimes painful, but it's part of the process. We keep hammering at it until we find a solution that works.
      "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
      -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

We've told you what to do in an unbiased way and it's your bias that's blocking it.

Comment

In a world where everything goes it could have been implemented long ago, but there are people with different opinions. Compromize and find a solution you can all agree on.

Comment

Well done Jessup / Falconeer! You just prevented another good improvement from happening. This thread shouldn't have 80 replies. I believe the most accurate and useful data is the original list which was posted here. If you have to quantify it somehow, for example, 7*+ isn't the way the go as gameplay skills often doesn't match with captaining skills. As Ogron said, if that original list doesn't work it is pointless to even implement it as the quantified list will be more flawed anyway.
            Season 12 champion TWLD / TWLJ
            Season 18 champion TWLJ / TWLB
            Season 19 champion TWLB (C)

Season 6 champion TWDT-J TWDT-B (C)
            Season 10 champion TWDT-J (C)
            Season 11 champion TWDT-B (C)
            Season 13 champion TWDT-B (C)
            Season 17 TRIPLE CROWN TWDT (C)

The winningest TWDT captain of all time

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamwin View Post
              Well done Jessup / Falconeer! You just prevented another good improvement from happening. This thread shouldn't have 80 replies. I believe the most accurate and useful data is the original list which was posted here. If you have to quantify it somehow, for example, 7*+ isn't the way the go as gameplay skills often doesn't match with captaining skills. As Ogron said, if that original list doesn't work it is pointless to even implement it as the quantified list will be more flawed anyway.
              Why are we listening to them.

just change it.

Can?t please everyone. Oh well. Boo hoo.
              ogron time and time again has made excellent points and has the statistics to back it to make basing better.
              dont know why we?re entertaining people who have never seen a twlb final let alone compete in one effect the way a basing arena should be ran.
              FIRST BASER TO MVP BACK TO BACK ROUNDS AND WIN IN TWDT-D FINALS - SEASON 24 2021
              SPIDER KILL RACE WINNER 2022
              SPIDER KILL RACE WINNER 2021
              SPIDER KILL RACE WINNER 2020

TWLB CHAMP x4 dicE
              TWLB FINALS MVP SEASON 10
              TWLB FINALS MVP SEASON 11
              TWLB FINALS MVP SEASON 15
              TWLB FINALS MVP SEASON 16 /2017 TWDT SPIDER CHAMPION / MVP (MOST KILLS)
              #1 RANKED TWL SPIDER FORBES MAGAZINE, OVER 40K KILLS IN TWLB (MOST IN TW HISTORY)

Comment

Originally posted by Efhat View Post
                Lol what a fucking snowflake environment this has turned into huh?

am I the only one that remembers getting benched every go base when it had 40 people in the arena every 20 minutes waiting to get picked? I?d return every 20 minutes hoping I?d get picked.

i had to go back to pub to practice and get better.

i agree with the qualified captain position. We can agree that someone with basing knowledge has to be a captain so the game isn?t a boring 10-0.

and a newbie or two can get added to balance. But you need captains who can build a team around them.

how is this even a topic of debate lol
                I agree 100% with crip, there used to be 40 people constantly trying to get into base i would sit in spec for hours and never get picked but i would always show back up and hope to be selected. There were never 2 base arenas running back then either, it was just one and we watched the vets and people who played well in the previous game be picked over and over. I believe that newer players should get a chance to play but there is by no means any reason they MUST be added. TBH these days im sure at least 1 or 2 no name players would get added just out of needing enough players to fill out an 8v8 team.

Experienced players cap, theres no way around it. They know ship/player capabilities, the flow of base gameplay and bot commands, change/switch/sub etc

Maybe it would help if the bot advertised into the arena the "listed" players present, so then those players would feel more inclined to take the responsibility of capping and also allow everyone else to see who in the arena is a verified captain.

Big Chill

Comment

show us ur tots
                  4:BigKing> xD
                  4:Best> i'm leaving chat
                  4:BigKing> what did i do???
                  4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
                  4:BigKing> ???? why though
                  4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that
                  4:BigKing> xD

Comment

I think something like this should have been added the second that staff were no longer the ones who determined who got to captain in ?go base. The point of the arena is to play base games that are fun and competitive and 10-0 games where one captain didn't know what they were doing simply aren't fun. At this point in time almost every base game I've witnessed has pretty much every player in the arena get picked. If you show up when the zoner goes out there's a pretty good chance you're going to get picked now. If you play well in that first game then people are going to pick you again. There just aren't 40 people showing up for base anymore.

The main problem I see in go base these days is the arena dies when games are 10-0 or 10-1. One team gets bored of being stomped and the other gets bored of stomping and people lost interest and leave. This would at least help stop that from happening and hopefully base would get played more often. I miss the days of logging in and hopping into a base game, now the arena runs once every few days.
                    3:Tsunami> under all you really have to do is fine tune that fiddle and stroke the strings harder than you ever have before

RaCka> i could've brought my subspace butthole catalogue

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions and feedback. Before we add another 6 pages to this thread I would like to propose a draft solution that should solve the OP's problem. After that only small parts should be changed or added.

Without further ado I would propose to have the list made by Ogron posted in a new thread for further consideration and giving others the opportunity to add players to the list or advocate for changes.

As for the implementation within ?go base itself, I would personally prefer a window of 5 seconds before the round would normally start. This would make it like the round starts 5 seconds late for everyone but the players on the list. All players present in ?go base at the start of a new round would get a PM to use !cap now to claim a spot. After the 5 seconds pass it is back to the usual flow. The change from 30 seconds to 5 seconds is I think necessary to let the game flow as much to the original. Also, it should be a tool to prevent trolls from claiming a spot and 5 seconds should be enough to prevent that. 10 seconds could be doable but you better come up with some good arguments.

Announcing listed players in the arena to apply for captain is still up for debate. Wouldn't it just signal to non listed players that they are less relevant? Wouldn't a simple PM to the listed players result in the same outcome? Help me out.

The timer duration could also change depending on the amount of listed players present. So 0 seconds whenever there are no players listed, 10 seconds when there are 3 or less, and 5 seconds otherwise. Just a suggestion which can be added at a later time.

Anything someone is definitely not happy about? Can you all agree to a timer of 5-10 seconds? And how do we present the changes at the start of a new round?

Comment

Originally posted by Efhat View Post

Why are we listening to them.

just change it.

Can?t please everyone. Oh well. Boo hoo.
                        ogron time and time again has made excellent points and has the statistics to back it to make basing better.
                        dont know why we?re entertaining people who have never seen a twlb final let alone compete in one effect the way a basing arena should be ran.
                        This is a public basing arena.. not a twlb final... that is why there are concerns. I fail to have seen ANY evidence shown by ogron or anyone that this is some major problem. There have always been some games that are blowouts and others that are closer. Even in twlb playoffs blowouts are not uncommon. Making ?go base some exclusive club is a terrible direction to go which would be discriminative to the public player base.

If you want to make a list.. make one that has proven troublemakers on it. People who rage quit games, People who show they are unable to do /!change or /!switch or have basic understanding of commands until they learn them properly. People who troll players in go base..ect.. Making a list of people who purposely ruin base games or cause serious disturbances I could get behind.
                        TWDT-J CHAMPION POWER 2018
                        TWDT-B CHAMPION POWER 2018
                        TWDT TRIPLE CROWN MEMBER POWER 2018
                        TSL TRIPLE CROWN FINALIST 2018
                        TSLD CHAMPION 2018
                        TSLB CHAMPION 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Jessup View Post

This is a public basing arena.. not a twlb final... that is why there are concerns. I fail to have seen ANY evidence shown by ogron or anyone that this is some major problem. There have always been some games that are blowouts and others that are closer. Even in twlb playoffs blowouts are not uncommon. Making ?go base some exclusive club is a terrible direction to go which would be discriminative to the public player base.

If you want to make a list.. make one that has proven troublemakers on it. People who rage quit games, People who show they are unable to do /!change or /!switch or have basic understanding of commands until they learn them properly. People who troll players in go base..ect.. Making a list of people who purposely ruin base games or cause serious disturbances I could get behind.
                          Nobody is trying to make this some exclusive club as you say, all they're promoting is an attempt to ensure the quality of every base game moving forward. If you cant get behind that then you're preventing the longevity of basing, this game, and its community. People need to stop twisting this into some selfish bullshit, making it all about them and taking this so damn personal. Accept the fact that this is good for the game and that these multiple pages of bickering contribute nothing productive.

Commence the pre-approved list, get this underway and let ?go base flourish.

regards,
                          Big Chill

Comment

Excluding capable players of having a right to be captain in a public dueling arena is selfish..sorry but that is the truth.
                            TWDT-J CHAMPION POWER 2018
                            TWDT-B CHAMPION POWER 2018
                            TWDT TRIPLE CROWN MEMBER POWER 2018
                            TSL TRIPLE CROWN FINALIST 2018
                            TSLD CHAMPION 2018
                            TSLB CHAMPION 2018

Comment

Everyone still gets the ability to be captain, this simply allows the players with the most experience basing the chance to claim it first to make the game more evenly matched. I'm failing to see a negative side to this.
                              3:Tsunami> under all you really have to do is fine tune that fiddle and stroke the strings harder than you ever have before

RaCka> i could've brought my subspace butthole catalogue

Comment

Originally posted by Jessup View Post
                                If you want to make a list.. make one that has proven troublemakers on it. People who rage quit games
                                Wonder why Clausehouse did not propose this simple fix

Comment

Working...
                                X