IDEA: Ship Skins in Elim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDEA: Ship Skins in Elim

Tiny came to be recently with some cool ideas. Some may have been talked about in the past. Let's get the discussion started up again and see if any make sense for implementation. I?ll make a separate thread for each.

Since removing spider, lev, and all the other ships from Elim we are left with Warbird and Javelin as the primary ships. This opens up ships 3-8 for customization. We can use these 6 remaining ships as customized Warbird and Javelin ships unlockable by winners. We are thinking about shiny gold, silver and bronze variations of the warbird and javelin.

You can see some examples of what we're talking about in ?go rockjavs or ?go javtown

How Do You Get To Use These Ships?

There are a few options.

1) Maybe you can use the ships at any time throughout the season if you are ranked #1 (gold), #2 (silver) or #3 (bronze). This provides an incentive for players to want to play more, increase their rank.

2) Same as above but with more flexible tiers. Rank #1-5 can use golden warbird. 6-10 silver etc.

3) These ships could be reserved for winners of the actual season rather than the current rank at the time. So if you see a player flying around in Elim as a golden warbird you know they ranked highly in the previous season, and that ship acts as a medal of honor for that achievement.

Dev Work Required:

- Graphics needed for shiny gold, silver and bronze warbird & jav.
    - Edited ships.bm2 or individual shipx.bm2, bundled into lvz and uploaded.
    - Bot functionality, depending on how we decide to award these ships to players.

If this concept is well received it could also apply to TWD, and TWL arenas.

I'm sure this has been talked about before but what do you think?

Example

Here's an example from javtown. Imagine this but in a shiny gold, silver, bronze.

Best> Para is the only guy i know who can put a quarter up his nostrils lol

I already made graphics for this. I either sent it on WhatsApp or posted it on the forum somewhere, I can't remember which. Would have been around 6 months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Rab View Post
      I already made graphics for this. I either sent it on WhatsApp or posted it on the forum somewhere, I can't remember which. Would have been around 6 months ago.
      Nice! I'll try and dig those up
      Best> Para is the only guy i know who can put a quarter up his nostrils lol

Comment

https://imgur.com/a/WjX00Ux

Comment

i don't really agree with a whole ship colour change, makes it look plastic. maybe it requires some more nuanced modification to the colours. something more akin to a custom paint job than just dipping the whole ship in gold paint.

Comment

Skins for pubbux would be a great idea too. There's only so many !buy fireworks I can buy.

Comment

I think 1-5, 6-10, and 11-15 with gold/silver/bronze would be a cool idea to try out
              top 100 basers list

Comment

Do it, anything to stir up the pride points in elim
                ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
                Failure teaches success.
                . â–²
                ▲ ▲

Comment

Definitely doable, and not all that much work from the dev side of things.

Rab's ships are a good start, but I do agree about the "dipped in paint" point. It should probably be more than a few simple filters applied. I also tried this approach, and though I'm better with Photoshop than most, with decade and a half of sweet sweet imageboard OC under my belt, I didn't come up with anything that I would consider very good/a clear upgrade that people would want to use. (Also, we should acknowledge that these kinds of ships might cause people to be hunted even more than usual.)

It would likely need someone who wants to put a lot of time and love into the idea, possibly doing some hand-crafting. Or at least very carefully applying filters to achieve the right effect. Otherwise it's possible that the ships will not even be considered a reward.

If anyone wants to dig, there's always http://www.trenchwars.org/ssdl to skim through. (By the way, 2 or so years after recovering that backup, we STILL need someone who wants to put in the energy to sort it...)
                  "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
                  -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Hype....wirah Is putting his photo shop skills to work this weekend. Could we toss a poll up and see what people think of who should be able to unlock these skins?
                    1:waven> u challenge
                    1:waven> if i challenge it looks too scary

Originally posted by MHz
                    Hope you contract ebola from your, no doubt cheap, Easter Egg, you fucking shit-jav, pug-faced cunt.

Comment

My suggestions would be.....
                      1-5 6-10 11-15
                      1-5 6-15 15-30
                      1-10 11-20 21-30

Originally posted by MHz
                      Hope you contract ebola from your, no doubt cheap, Easter Egg, you fucking shit-jav, pug-faced cunt.

Comment

I'd say you would want to keep the skins special, yet still obtainable. Especially the 'gold' one should be very rare. I would suggest to give the gold one to 1-3, silver to 4-10, and bronze to 11-25. This way you would end up with games almost always having at least a bronze ship, and gold would still be pretty special even after a few seasons.

Comment

Figured it out.

Originally posted by MHz

Comment

Originally posted by qan View Post
                            Definitely doable, and not all that much work from the dev side of things.

Rab's ships are a good start, but I do agree about the "dipped in paint" point. It should probably be more than a few simple filters applied. I also tried this approach, and though I'm better with Photoshop than most, with decade and a half of sweet sweet imageboard OC under my belt, I didn't come up with anything that I would consider very good/a clear upgrade that people would want to use. (Also, we should acknowledge that these kinds of ships might cause people to be hunted even more than usual.)

It would likely need someone who wants to put a lot of time and love into the idea, possibly doing some hand-crafting. Or at least very carefully applying filters to achieve the right effect. Otherwise it's possible that the ships will not even be considered a reward.

If anyone wants to dig, there's always http://www.trenchwars.org/ssdl to skim through. (By the way, 2 or so years after recovering that backup, we STILL need someone who wants to put in the energy to sort it...)
                            Qan i meant to ask you why we dont upload those files to Subspace.co? they already have a file system there.

Anyway, I'll sort it, I promise, i'm just slow at starting things... there's so much to do :/

Comment

Didn't know that existed. That would be the place to start feeding in the backup, for sure. I wonder who's running that site these days. Sent off a message on their contact form. If you can get in touch with who's operating it, perhaps we can streamline an upload there and get the backup hosted. I think the pain of manually uploading each file is the biggest roadblock in getting that project going.
                              "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
                              -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Working...
                              X