ELIM JAV/WB duel modes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ELIM JAV/WB duel modes.

Jav and WB duel are incredibly boring to me, and this is something I hear a lot of pub players and players outside TW express too.

I was thinking we should minimally add different modes to Jav and WB duel in ?go elim.

The problem with both Jav and WB duel is that it favors one type of player, the one who is patient, and has a play style that is safe and hangs back, or even runs away at the proper moments and then charges at other moments. All of this is easy to learn but essentially it's not skill based it's just decision based, so who is playing smarter or optimizing their chance to win vs. who isn't. The guy who goes 10-3 in wb duel doesn't necessarily have better aim than you. It's a similar story in Jav duel, with wall hiding, running away from 1 vs 1, and vulching being the primary ways to win, as well as just always keeping in mind your position relative to other players.

This is the same in university with people who get A+'s on multiple choice tests being the one's who learned how to study better and take tests better, they don't necessarily know more than the guy who got a B+ on the test. Particularly because multiple choice tests have many flaws in evaluating knowledge and are only used because of the quickness.

I don't get how anyone could find this fun? or find it a real test of skill even...

The Jav mode I would like to see implemented would be:
    Mode B (countdown): You have 30 seconds to kill someone or die or you are out, and every kill increases your time by 10-30 seconds
    You need to play around with the timing and test it, but any form of this at any form of seconds equal to or greater than what i listed above would be way better than what we have now. Someone more experienced at jav has to decide the timing. But basically you can see it would promote less wall hiding, and less running away from fights. And since it's an optional mode, players could just not play it if they want normal jav.

The WB mode I would like to see implemented would be:
    Mode B (radar sniper mode): Shift is greatly reduced, and bullets are slightly faster (or the same). just want something with less shift ability so the gameplay emphasizes aim more and of course running away would be harder.
    Mode C: I was thinking mode C could be normal WB duel but incorporate a shrinking arena over time. So basically if you are not in the shrinked area by the time the timer expires you get specced (basically like battle royale) and no i'm not a fortnite or apex player, never played those games, and don't like them. I play mostly RPGs and building games.
    Last edited by Falconeer; 03-11-2019, 07:22 PM.

Hey falc. We have a few hosted games like your ideas. I forget the name of them but one has a clock and gives you time for each kill, last one standing wins. I've yet to see a shrinking arena DURING games which has been suggested for elim before (this idea I could support this for elim). We do have killrace games in elim too I sort of dislike them but it can be fun. We also have hosted games where going out of bounds is auto spec feature. One moves and is this big circle but it is a flying type game and the other is in a round tight map you use repels to try and blast each other out of bounds using them (that one is called Sumo Wrestling. The problem I have with your ideas is it would change the nature of elim by using so many different types of games that I feel it could disrupt the ladder and skillset it pertains to.

Do you have mapmaker or DEV skills? I'd love to try some of these ideas but someone obviously would have to make them. Hosting game ideas like these is a good place to start to see how they work and how the type gameplay dynamic works out.

You may already be aware of this link but links for creating things is here http://www.trenchwars.org/index.php?v=downloads
    TWDT-J CHAMPION POWER 2018
    TWDT-B CHAMPION POWER 2018
    TWDT TRIPLE CROWN MEMBER POWER 2018
    TSL TRIPLE CROWN FINALIST 2018
    TSLD CHAMPION 2018
    TSLB CHAMPION 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Jessup View Post
      Hey falc. We have a few hosted games like your ideas. I forget the name of them but one has a clock and gives you time for each kill, last one standing wins. I've yet to see a shrinking arena DURING games which has been suggested for elim before (this idea I could support this for elim). We do have killrace games in elim too I sort of dislike them but it can be fun. We also have hosted games where going out of bounds is auto spec feature. One moves and is this big circle but it is a flying type game and the other is in a round tight map you use repels to try and blast each other out of bounds using them (that one is called Sumo Wrestling. The problem I have with your ideas is it would change the nature of elim by using so many different types of games that I feel it could disrupt the ladder and skillset it pertains to.

Do you have mapmaker or DEV skills? I'd love to try some of these ideas but someone obviously would have to make them. Hosting game ideas like these is a good place to start to see how they work and how the type gameplay dynamic works out.

You may already be aware of this link but links for creating things is here http://www.trenchwars.org/index.php?v=downloads
      You should be able to create separate ladders for each mode, or just have the bot not record during other game modes. And I would have no problem with either of these as I'm not in elim to win ladder etc. If you add modes then it actually consolidates some of your arenas/events in one place; which in my opinion is potentially better than separating them. You could still host the others as events, but at least when an ER isn't online people could still vote to play these modes in elim.

And yeah I can make maps and do some graphics. Also thanks for the link, i already have DCME and all the editing programs but I actually needed a link like this to share with other players :P

There are many ways to maintain the integrity of elim, you could even make it so the bot doesn't even present mode options until every fourth game in elim. this way people play regular elim more often. Plus i doubt these options would be voted for over regular elim often. I was thinking 25% of the time it would be voted, which is good enough for me =) hell you could even code in some random chance, so the modes are presented as option randomly, could appear 1 out 10 elims, or twice in a row, or 1 out of 4 elims etc. Makes it's more exciting imo.

i'm not a coder, all the work would be qans, so he would have to get behind the idea.
      Last edited by Falconeer; 03-11-2019, 08:09 PM.

Comment

BIET was working on a system at one point for a Battle Royale mode (shrinking arena based on circles). It looked really cool. Don't think he ever finished, though.

Most Dangerous Game is the module that forces you to make a kill within X seconds, or rather, every kill extends your life (and in some versions, every death reduces it). Can be kind of fun. Not sure it'd be taken seriously as an elim mode, though. Would need finely-tweaked settings.

Changing WB/Jav settings is just out of the question, as an aspect of zone culture.
        "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
        -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Originally posted by qan View Post
          BIET was working on a system at one point for a Battle Royale mode (shrinking arena based on circles). It looked really cool. Don't think he ever finished, though.

Most Dangerous Game is the module that forces you to make a kill within X seconds, or rather, every kill extends your life (and in some versions, every death reduces it). Can be kind of fun. Not sure it'd be taken seriously as an elim mode, though. Would need finely-tweaked settings.

Changing WB/Jav settings is just out of the question, as an aspect of zone culture.
          Hmm, as long as you can reduce WB shift within that mode only then I don't see the issue. But i guess can't be done?

Comment

Working...
          X