No announcement yet.

TW Timeline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sent a DM, Rab; thanks very much for your offer.

From initial investigations the extra cost is looking to be somewhere in the $30-40 range, bringing the bill to $80-90/mo. (Windows server license is arond $16/mo.) This would also host Chaos, possibly EG, so others may possibly help. Yeah, Bluff, it's always been indirectly P2P, or rather, donation-funded. Only a very small amount of the population actually donates, but those who do have kept the bot/web/database server alive for ages now.

I think that puts us at about 2+ years of service. We've had a lot of generous people take advantage of BIET's $100 offer for a 3D-printed ship which has really boosted funding. Think the PP stands at around $3K. Not sure on exact numbers at present, as I don't risk freezing the acct by accessing it from outside the US/over a VPN, but we do have a donation ticker running in Slack that gives a rough idea.

I've set up a Patreon for another somewhat unrelated TW project, a custom chat bot that players can run on their private chats for $3/mo sub fee. But could broaden it to donations in general. The problem with Patreon is that it ends up taking about a 15% bite out of all donations, which is absolutely disgusting. But if it'd be either a 15% cut of $X vs $0 from certain donors who only would use Patreon, I suppose it's not bad. We wouldn't be able to offer pubbux in that instance... Might be able to offer some sort of special thing in-game though.

Re: Mom, I talked to her for about an hour and a half last night. She logs on regularly, though not under that name, as she tends to get a lot of people contacting her when she does. (Curse of a billing op.) Note that in some cases, if there's not a strong enough data match, you're just not going to be able to get an alias or squad name. Remember that some really scummy people in this community used to actually sell names by abusing billing powers, or would give names/squads to friends. True low-lifes. So access has had to be limited due to fairly rampant abuse. It's a problem if tickets aren't being handled at all, though, or closed out with a response. Likely an oversight when there wasn't adequate coverage. I'll see what's going on there from SpaceHiker's position. It would be fantastic to get another active op in and to clean out old tickets with a proper response.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Billing Op, easy job for me, active all day and would love to give people back their old names/handle tickets, even if it was 30 tickets a day. I've never avoided logging in for anything game/people related. Windows server I could probably do, but I don't really have money for $16 a month. So i'm unreliable in that sense/unknowledgeable... but it's a windows server, which makes it probably very easy compared to a linux one.

Polix would be good if he wanted his old job back, another person that comes to mind for billing op is tm_master. tm would also potentially cover a different timezone than spacehiker? or Mom? And if Jowie ever wanted to do a windows server, he's incredibly trustworthy imo.

Comment

I know we have got larger fish to fry atm, but my big beef is people who havent logged in 15+ years sitting on squads/names. For example I honestly don't see why someone who hasnt logged in 17 years has the right the to name Attack. And ive made multiple attemps for the name without it being released because it was owned by someone.
        Anyway bigger fish to fry, lets get the server back up.
        British> my 18th tomoz $$
        Sol ^> 18 and scouse, so that two kids you have by now, brit? :)

i.d.> I just farted and shit myself alittle bit

Comment

Thank you for updates qan.

Good questions and points in post #14 Rab.

If Rab can help in this need as he claims I'd support that. He is pretty committed to the game and has made good stuff for zone already like TSL website.
          TWDT-J CHAMPION POWER 2018
          TWDT-B CHAMPION POWER 2018
          TWDT TRIPLE CROWN MEMBER POWER 2018
          TSL TRIPLE CROWN FINALIST 2018
          TSLD CHAMPION 2018
          TSLB CHAMPION 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Falconeer View Post
            Billing Op, easy job for me, active all day and would love to give people back their old names/handle tickets, even if it was 30 tickets a day. I've never avoided logging in for anything game/people related. Windows server I could probably do, but I don't really have money for $16 a month. So i'm unreliable in that sense/unknowledgeable... but it's a windows server, which makes it probably very easy compared to a linux one.

Polix would be good if he wanted his old job back, another person that comes to mind for billing op is tm_master. tm would also potentially cover a different timezone than spacehiker? or Mom? And if Jowie ever wanted to do a windows server, he's incredibly trustworthy imo.
            This has many good points too.

Tm_master is very active, cool and trustworthy who has put an incredible amount of energy into his zone DEVA /Devastation. Tm_master is a candidate that should not be overlooked and I urge you guys to talk to him. His zone DEVA deserves more action too. Sad more people aren't playing that zone with TW down too much. It is pretty fun and super intense basing action.

I think falc deserves to be trusted more and given a chance doing some more things too. He has put a lot of work into the discord channel and organized it much better for us. He has openly admitted he WAS a troll in the past but has changed his ways which I respect.
            TSLD CHAMPION 2018
            TSLB CHAMPION 2018

Comment

Originally posted by qan View Post
              Note that in some cases, if there's not a strong enough data match, you're just not going to be able to get an alias or squad name.
              Is there any way to actually find a list of squad names owned under our various aliases? I made a ton of them on older aliases and a few on this one too, but I have no idea what they are anymore.

Also, I agree with Attacks. Some players created squadnames of aliases they saw in-game, either to sell them or to simply piss those players off. It was a common thing back then, Also, people would be considered newbs if their name was too long, wasn't a dictionary word, and so on. Players like Ease, Burnt, Jack, Stripes, Ogron etc all switched to shorter versions of With Ease, Static Burn, Jack Kiefer, ThreeStripes, Clausehouse, and so on for a reason. People used to hoard any alias they could like that, yet there's no reason someone that hasn't logged into the game for 15+ years should keep them forever. Also, there's no justifiable reason as to why any squadname is under **UNKNOWN** for eternity.

RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
              RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Friday Status Update

This morning we put together a tiger team, we made a plan, we've provisioned a server, and we're working through security configuration, backups, etc, and setting up a test zone now. Then we'll set up TW and Chaos zones, we're not hosting EG they're doing their own thing. If all goes well we could have this tested today.

Then there'll have to be communication with Priit to update biller etc, so allow a day or so for that. If the Easter Bunny permits it, we could be back on Sunday.

Comment

Saturday Status Update

Yesterday went well, we got a test zone running on our new server.

Today we are waiting for Priit, if he responds today we could be back online tomorrow.

Comment

420!

Comment

Originally posted by Exalt View Post

Is there any way to actually find a list of squad names owned under our various aliases? I made a ton of them on older aliases and a few on this one too, but I have no idea what they are anymore.

Also, I agree with Attacks. Some players created squadnames of aliases they saw in-game, either to sell them or to simply piss those players off. It was a common thing back then, Also, people would be considered newbs if their name was too long, wasn't a dictionary word, and so on. Players like Ease, Burnt, Jack, Stripes, Ogron etc all switched to shorter versions of With Ease, Static Burn, Jack Kiefer, ThreeStripes, Clausehouse, and so on for a reason. People used to hoard any alias they could like that, yet there's no reason someone that hasn't logged into the game for 15+ years should keep them forever. Also, there's no justifiable reason as to why any squadname is under **UNKNOWN** for eternity.
                      Yeah you can search someone's alias and see all the squads they created. And then do the same for their aliases.

Comment

Originally posted by Rab View Post
                        Saturday Status Update

Yesterday went well, we got a test zone running on our new server.

Today we are waiting for Priit, if he responds today we could be back online tomorrow.
                        Good news, Thanks Rab.
                        Rasaq> thanks, Divine, for allowing me provide my oral support
                        Rasaq> err moral

Comment

Update IP has been updated for the zone but still down for testing phase, should be up Easter
                          https://twd.trenchwars.org/showgame/90112596

Retired after i dropped 24 kills and carry the team

wbduel Map Maker Legend

Comment

Originally posted by 2pac View Post
                            IP has been updated for the zone
                            Fake news, you might see a new IP temporarily but that doesn't mean everyone else does, and if you refresh your zone list it'll change back.

Comment

Sunday Status Update

Priit got back to us.

We got TW online, but the biller connection isn't working, so TW is offline again for now.

The program that's supposed to connect to the biller crashes for no apparent reason (other than it was invented before the wheel). With no biller connection nobody can log in, and ^Rab style names don't work either.

So the new ETA is ASAP. We have the right people working on it. I'll continue to provide daily updates.

Comment

Thanks for update Rab, I'm going into DT's
                                TSLD CHAMPION 2018
                                TSLB CHAMPION 2018

Comment

Working...
                                X