TW's New Server - An Odyssey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TW's New Server - An Odyssey

Now that we've finally got the server back up, I wanted to take the time to explain exactly what happened, for anyone curious.

TW, EG and Chaos have all been running on the same server since around 2003, when former TW sysop and creator of the Continuum version of Subspace, PriitK, took over the servers. This server was hosted by the infamously lousy Superb.net during this time at a cost of $300 a month.

Early on Sunday, April 14th, the server's IP address was permanently reassigned due to scheduled maintenance. This meant that the address we'd been using for years was now gone, bulldozed in the night.

I sent the usual email to PriitK informing him that the servers were again down. Keep in mind, the last time I communicated with PriitK and received a response was around 2004. (Famously, he never replies.) So I was surprised to receive an email explaining this situation, and that he was using this as a chance to free himself of the burden of running the server.

I didn't sleep too well that night. In the morning, I started sending out messages to the relevant parties with a copy of PriitK's email. It was, in a word, electrifying. Priit was finally bowing out, and giving us control over the billing server, the piece which unites all of SSC! The next few days were marked by a rush of activity, accompanied by a need for secrecy should the word get out and chaos descend. I spent a full day interviewing people to determine who might be best to take on the role of the administrator of the new billing server. It was incredibly stressful: the wrong choice would have put the entire community in jeopardy.

Then I received a second email in reply. We were all caught up in a dream of finally having access to whitelisting new zones, adding new billing ops, and taking on the immense responsibility of hosting the game, so much that it went unnoticed when he said he would zip up and send us the server files, and the billing server... proxy.

Not the actual billing server. We'd been hoodwinked! Or so it felt. We probably shouldn't have jumped to conclusions. There's no way he would have given everything up so easily. There was a lot of cursing and generally low spirits. The server plan that had been purchased was refunded.

The next day, things were much simpler: we only needed to set up a new zone server for TW, Chaos and EG. EG decided to host its own servers, electing for a west coast US server (while also whitelisting an east coast one), while TW and Chaos decided to remain on the same server to share costs, in almost the same physical position as the old one.

In short order a team was put together to tackle the securing of the server, the automating of restarts and the running of the game servers themselves. I emailed Priit again, and he sent the necessary files. After some fenangling and a lot of hard, thoughtful work, TW returned online once more, with Chaos soon to follow.

And that's a very short version of the odyssey we've embarked on over the last week. The result of it is that we now have access to all of TW's files (I'll be releasing a map pack containing every non-private arena soon), as well as the ability to restart servers when they crash. This should mean any downtime we have should now be far shorter.

We now also have the potential to run A Small Subspace Server, if we choose. It may require a lot of work, as TW's bots rely on many features specific to the old server model. But ASSS allows a great deal of features that simply can't be implemented the old-fashioned way, possibly opening up a level of creative freedom for developers that TW has never seen.

I'd like to thank the following people, in no particular order, for their contributions in bringing back the server: o)-<|, POiD, JoWie, Rab, X-Demo, hallucination, BIET, Doughnut, Wirah, Platinum-Halo, PoLiX, Fc, Ghost Ship, and anyone else I may have missed. I'd also like to thank those who took the initiative to update the community about the status of the project, and provide support over the space of this long ordeal.

Finally, I'd like to thank anyone who chooses to donate to help fund the new server running Trench Wars and Chaos/Pro League. We tried to keep specs as minimal as possible without affecting performance or security, but we're still paying an unexpected +$50 each month (in addition the $50 we were already paying for the bot/web/db server, which has to remain separate). I'm still discussing funding details with hallucination, but for now, if you wish to show your support for the work done to get the server back online, you can donate at the usual place. Whether it's $5, $50 or $500, every cent helps:

You can also support us on Patreon, which takes a bigger percentage cut of your donation and does not offer PubBux, but has the advantage of being a sustaining donation the zone can count. Also allows you to run a personal bot on your squad or private chat. Click here to become a patron.

100% of this fund goes toward server costs. And for a limited time, if you donate $100 or more, you can receive a 3D ship model customized with your in-game name. (Higher tiers can receive multiple ships, even if you've already donated!) Details here: https://forums.trenchwars.com/forum/...printed-models The game needs your support now more than ever.

Thanks for your patience. We're back, finally! See you in the trenches.
    Last edited by qan; 04-23-2019, 02:34 AM.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

So is Priit still our overlord? heheh I don't mind if he is personally as long as we can control downtime better when issues happen. Priit rules and this is his baby so its quite understandable he maintains his rights to his creation.

Also, is this new server now cheaper than the stinky Superb.net in total costs involved to run the game? It was 300 and it is now 100? Is that right? I guess Priit was paying the lions share every month before. Understandable he wanted that burden gone but for us having to cough up twice as much is greater pressure on the community.
    Thanks to everyone on that list for all the hard work you put in to make this happen. Great job.

Excited to see what could happen in DEV through ASSS too!!
    TWDT-J CHAMPION POWER 2018
    TWDT-B CHAMPION POWER 2018
    TWDT TRIPLE CROWN MEMBER POWER 2018
    TSL TRIPLE CROWN FINALIST 2018
    TSLD CHAMPION 2018
    TSLB CHAMPION 2018

Comment

Good to hear the server is back up, qan.
      Thanks for all your help, energy and time, I know how stressful it can be.

P.S. I've adjusted the population statistics to use the new IPs:
      Maverick
      Retired SSCU Trench Wars Super Moderator
      Retired SSCU Trench Wars Bot Coordinator
      Retired Trench Wars Core Administrator
      Subspace Statistics Administrator
      Former Mervbot plugin developer

Comment

1. POiD is the GOAT.
        2. Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/trenchwars

Comment

That's an incredible story. Really enjoyed reading it.

PriitK living on a yacht and forgetting about this game has been a running joke for years. Qan, I know you've always wondered whether or not the server comes back up because of pure chance and patience or because Priit was actually reading your emails and silently responding by pressing the right buttons. I always assumed there was very little chance it was the latter.

Turns out, the millionaire Estonian playboy never forgot about the game. The Subspace God was real. He cared enough about the few people who still play his pet project from 20 years ago to keep this running for all this time. A god worth believing in. I love PriitK.

Shitty to hear he's finally done though. Pretty crappy timing also with TWL being in midseason. But I'm glad it all worked out and he was willing to let you guys keep the zones running. Sounds like we'll be better off, and lots of mysteries were solved along the way.

Qan, and everyone else involved, you guys did amazing work. Without you guys stepping up, TW was almost certain to never come back online. Thanks to the Godfather PriitK (hope you're reading this - I believe in You) as well.

If the zone doesn't have faith in the dev team after what you guys just pulled off, they never will. Good shit.
          PattheBat> steadman your name is literally "a mean std"
          ogron> CM,OPN NMKAN

Comment

Originally posted by Mythril View Post

PriitK living on a yacht and forgetting about this game has been a running joke for years. Qan, I know you've always wondered whether or not the server comes back up because of pure chance and patience or because Priit was actually reading your emails and silently responding by pressing the right buttons. I always assumed there was very little chance it was the latter.

Turns out, the millionaire Estonian playboy never forgot about the game. The Subspace God was real. He cared enough about the few people who still play his pet project from 20 years ago to keep this running for all this time. A god worth believing in. I love PriitK.

Shitty to hear he's finally done though. Pretty crappy timing also with TWL being in midseason. But I'm glad it all worked out and he was willing to let you guys keep the zones running. Sounds like we'll be better off, and lots of mysteries were solved along the way.

Qan, and everyone else involved, you guys did amazing work. Without you guys stepping up, TW was almost certain to never come back online. Thanks to the Godfather PriitK (hope you're reading this - I believe in You) as well.

If the zone doesn't have faith in the dev team after what you guys just pulled off, they never will. Good shit.
            This This and all of This

Also I've heard great things about ASSS and how much greater our capabilities would be as a zone. I'm sure its a tall task but maybe would be nice in the future. If i remember right there used to be a function where you could damage/destroy tiles which would be crazy and open up so many options on its own.

Great work everyone we love you
            Big Chill

Comment

TIL: ASSS stands for A Small Subspace Server. Doesn't sound small. Sounds fucking Big. This is yuge as fuck.

I love this fucking game. It's fucking 2019 and I think I love it more than when I was 11 years old. I love it so much. I love Rodney as well.
              PattheBat> steadman your name is literally "a mean std"
              ogron> CM,OPN NMKAN

Comment

Wow what a mission! appreciate everyone involved who have been working on this non stop.

Comment

I feel like this could be a chapter in TW's fan fiction
                  ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
                  Failure teaches success.
                  . â–²
                  ▲ ▲

Comment

yeah bro agree with everything about Lord PriitK hopefully we can kick start our own development on this game later on in life since we got control of most of it now. Spent many hours playing and working on maps for this zone and playing the other zones. It's always fun hitting a jay or bowl and hopping on tw and merkin scrub since teenage years its reminiscing great memories. Its been a year since one of my cousins (Silicon aka aerosol) passed away he had so much fun playing tw and still played it till his dying day. Its this same reason why others play this game because there is a connection with people all over the world and I've gotten to know myth and couple others IRL. BTW beam still smells like a dog's ass and Racka lifts harder than raazi.
                    https://twd.trenchwars.org/showgame/90112596

Retired after i dropped 24 kills and carry the team

wbduel Map Maker Legend

Comment

Sorry for your loss 2pacz. Aerosol was always a super cool guy and really helped us in Paladen and was clutch for us in TWL one season. I was so sad to hear the news of his passing. Respect to him and to your family! Def shud keep making TW greater and honor those who passed. Miss you tons aerosol!
                      TWDT-J CHAMPION POWER 2018
                      TWDT-B CHAMPION POWER 2018
                      TWDT TRIPLE CROWN MEMBER POWER 2018
                      TSL TRIPLE CROWN FINALIST 2018
                      TSLD CHAMPION 2018
                      TSLB CHAMPION 2018

Comment

Like I'd ever donate to pedophile racist white people, remove them off staff and maybe you'll see a dime from Primary.
                        Originally posted by trancE tunes
                        this game got completely killed by now known pedophile, LF, and his pedophile friends. good job you fuckin racist redneck pieces of shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mythril View Post

TY for speaking from your heart, I approve.

2018 TWDT Champion 2019 TWLD Final 4 2019 TWDTJ Semi finalist 2019 2x TWDTD Finalist 2020 TW Forum Mafia Game champion

Comment

Send priitk this email: You left us with a bunch of white racist on staff, please help.
                            this game got completely killed by now known pedophile, LF, and his pedophile friends. good job you fuckin racist redneck pieces of shit.

Comment

Originally posted by 2pac View Post
                              yeah bro agree with everything about Lord PriitK hopefully we can kick start our own development on this game later on in life since we got control of most of it now. Spent many hours playing and working on maps for this zone and playing the other zones. It's always fun hitting a jay or bowl and hopping on tw and merkin scrub since teenage years its reminiscing great memories. Its been a year since one of my cousins (Silicon aka aerosol) passed away he had so much fun playing tw and still played it till his dying day. Its this same reason why others play this game because there is a connection with people all over the world and I've gotten to know myth and couple others IRL. BTW beam still smells like a dog's ass and Racka lifts harder than raazi.
                              2pacZ is a little bitch, and seeing some fat DJ Khaled lookin mofo use the name 2pac is hilarious. Shame you're not white, coulda been on staff.

Comment

Working...
                              X