Remove or Limit Midspawn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove or Limit Midspawn

Can we remove or limit (<4 players) midspawn in pub? I'm assuming it was added sometime in the past couple years to increase action in pub, but did anyone think about how much it limits the playstyles we had before? Playstyles that would help people transition into leagues and become more integrated into the community. For example, wbs dueling in spawn area outside of base or teams cramming/attacking through fr main entrance. And it doesnt just impact standard play, even vulching is limited to mid-ears now since anywhere else someone can spawn on top of you or !deploy/roofturret.

Wbs duelling in spawn aren't contributing to the flag game which puts their team at a disadvantage. Those players should get on priv freqs if they want to duel.

Comment

You can currently turn off warping to mid, though it's not all that clear how to do so. !warp fr will warp you only to the FR at round start, but not mid.

The issue is that base games tend to die, and have done so for years, when the midspawn switches over at too low a number, or with nobody terring.

Now the switch operates on a set of rules rather than a hard number. It also has two tiers: one for very small pops, and one for smallish pops. Eventually once the number of players hits 16, regardless of special conditions such as if both have a terrier, it switches to normal spawn.

I've thought about reworking the base a bit to reflect the changing times (and also just to freshen it up again). In particular, widening out mid a good bit to account for the fact that much of the time, pub is now played in that section. Without drastically changing the base (for example, completely eliminating lower base as a concept, or eliminating all but the tube), it's very difficult to make base readily accessible while still allowing open-air spawns. But it'd be worth trying out some designs, if anyone's interested.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pub no lower.png
Views:	161
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	1324964

Here's a version of pub with no lower base. Very rough mockup. Might be interesting to try.
      "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
      -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

That's worth a try.
        I've always said the bottom half of the map should be cut off (it's just open space with asteroids and contributes nothing to the flag game).

Comment

you know the first screaming will be about LT's having crazy kills shots from anywhere lol....

i love the base and especially the enormous base (which i still maintain TWBD should try out as the main base)
          it allows maneuvering room... more room to avoid things like bursts and shots and the pinch points not as tight within the base...
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Comment

Yeah, not concerned with where I spawn so much as everyone spawning me when trying to base. Just dropping people into base does not make them basers >.>

Comment

Do like the idea of smaller base as long as ppl not spawing in it :+1:

Comment

wat about a !buy for turning it off for whole pub (or as part of !purepub)

again, the concern is having ppl spawn next to me in mid, not just spawning in mid myself

Comment

16 is too high for amount of players needed to revert to normal spawns.. 10-15 people in mid (outside of fr) makes for a chaotic spawn fest. The fun of blocking tube and fighting to get into fr is totally gone with the current spawns.

You said you would be willing to try having normal spawns on the whole time qan to see how the community responds to it but you have yet to give it a try. Personally, I won't step foot in pub as it is. It's just not fun.

Even if I am on a public freq fighting for fr, it feels stupid af to spawn on a terr that is like 10 meters away and visible on my screen. Then of course there's the spawn kills. I mean seriously, it's not enjoyable to die, get spawned, die, get spawned again and again and again (unless you're masochistic).

Normal spawns were nice, we could either utilize a terr and save time or we could work our way back up to fr using different strategies/play styles and ships. All of that is lost since this new adaption of placing spawns right outside of fr. It's super lame man. Super lame. I'd have it set to normal spawns with 2 players, 5 players or 0 players..

I am fine with never playing pub again but there are times where I miss it. Won't lie. Am sure I am not alone. Just as it is now it's just not fun at all. Total buzz kill. It feels claustrophobic and chaotic. Add in the trolls in spec who are talking about race, religion, sex, ect. and pub is just a nasty place overall. After several minutes in pub I feel like I need to take a shower. It could use some love in all facets in my opinion but again, I wouldn't call myself a pubber so if it's left in the state of decay in which it's now, I am quite OK.

EDIT: Oh yea and WTF is up with the warbird dueling arena's being circular? I thought at one point someone said they'd make it like what we'd see in duel, duel2, tourny, ect. with a small box and a few asteroids? That would be great. The circle thing sucks when you are trying to maneuver and bounce off walls and stuff. It basically crams you into a r1/r2 duel where you can't bounce much and worse, players can hide in rocks. It would be nice to have it mimic a ?go duel arena since no where other than pub will 2 wb's fight in a circle. Please take note of this too
                  Last edited by Grasps; 07-22-2019, 09:42 PM.

Comment

That's a horrible idea qan. Bottom map is antiquity. Instead of botching the map, just make warbirds and levis spawn below. Simple fix.
                    Fi> where are my freedom letters going?
                    Shock Halo> howdy, OMG I want to retire but I'm too broke and not good enough lookin to be a hooker!

warbit> FreeSpirit is truly my spirit animal.

Amnesti> tiger told me u called him lyme disease retard

Comment

Originally posted by A fem bot View Post
                      That's a horrible idea qan. Bottom map is antiquity. Instead of botching the map, just make warbirds and levis spawn below. Simple fix.
                      lol qan never responded cause qan knows hes a fuckin idiot that didn't think of this simple solution, like the rest of TW staff, morons in charge.
                      Originally posted by trancE tunes
                      this game got completely killed by now known pedophile, LF, and his pedophile friends. good job you fuckin racist redneck pieces of shit.

Comment

Primary, my Prince!

xoxo
                        Shock Halo> howdy, OMG I want to retire but I'm too broke and not good enough lookin to be a hooker!

Comment

another shameless bump; i look forward to teh day i can mine the main tube again!

Comment

A fem bot Wouldn't be a bad idea to have WBs spawn outside during low-pop spawn. Worth a try, maybe. The loss of dueling in open space is one of the worst casualties in the war to maintain pop during slow times.

Grasps Gave the normal spawns a shot for a good bit of time, and unfortunately got quite a lot of calls and drastically lowered population. You could (and did) argue that it needs time for people to adjust, but the negative backlash was pretty strong. Unless others are really pushing this and providing strong reasoning for it I don't think it's worthwhile to try it again. I'd love it if normal spawning simply worked... but with this population, it doesn't. In the past we just never had a time when pub would risk being inactive, so it was never something we had to consider. These days that's not the case.

Before my laptop's HDD died, I was working on a system to spawn players in zones (rather than at points) along the sides of and directly underneath lower base. Then opening up the middle ear between lower and midbase slightly to allow easier entry. This would allow a defending freq to use mid as a defense point and increase the value of the tube as a minor choke, while making it clear that players should try to enter the base. Think it's worth trying. Levis would still spawn normally so as not to give them an easy boost up the side of lower.
                            "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
                            -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

1. Those passages cause players to utilize a skill called "ship control" to fly through.

There aren't enough experiences in the zone (a different topic) that improves the game's players ability to control their ships, thus effecting their aim, thus effecting the levels of tking.

Comment

Working...
                              X