No announcement yet.

Remove or Limit Midspawn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems apparent to me that the change has been beneficial to the game as predicted; that warbirds are controlling levi and lt populations in lower spawn, as well as warbird sparing is increasingly taking place in lower spawn, and more basing ships are being used during the flag game.
    Let's keep it on!
    Fi> where are my freedom letters going?
    Shock Halo> howdy, OMG I want to retire but I'm too broke and not good enough lookin to be a hooker!

warbit> FreeSpirit is truly my spirit animal.

Amnesti> tiger told me u called him lyme disease retard

Comment

Adjusted the tiered spawns quite a bit to favor less spawning in mid. Essentially players are spawning in 4 different tiers (mid, lower, just outside base, classic spawn) that are graduated in terms of distance from the flagroom, and midspawns become rarer and then nonexistent fairly quickly, with the only time you're guaranteed to warp to mid being when there are exactly two players.

Been spending a fair bit of time watching the spawns and trying to find an ideal balance between keeping action regular/focusing attention toward the flag on one hand, and not having things be too cramped/become a spawnfest on the other. I think it may still yet need a bit more of a push away from midspawn, as players seem to have no hesitation approaching from lower spawns even at rather low populations (in other words, the spawn distances don't seem to be killing the action with the current settings, and so could be pushed to a bit more of an extreme).
      "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
      -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

yeah, pub looking healthy lately; am excite

now just need port timer back to normal so dont warp out to spawn all the time

Comment

still warping in mid with <=14 ppl (7s); can we lower midspawn to something less than normal base like <=9 ppl (less than 5s) ?

Comment

Originally posted by SpookedOne View Post
            yeah, pub looking healthy lately; am excite

now just need port timer back to normal so dont warp out to spawn all the time
            Leland

Comment

Originally posted by SpookedOne View Post
              still warping in mid with <=14 ppl (7s); can we lower midspawn to something less than normal base like <=9 ppl (less than 5s) ?
              Well, again, it's a tiered spawn. So at around 14 players, they'll be warped into mid 0% of the time, whereas 60% of the time they're warped into lower base, and 40% of the time directly outside of base, somewhere near an entrance to base.

Currently with 9 players, you'll be warped to mid 10% of the time, to lower base 85% of the time, and to a spawn box outside of base 5% of the time.

The percentages will need tweaking/adjustment but I think this is probably the right approach. It avoids the sudden jumps from one spawn type to another (such as switching between 100% mid/lower spawns and 100% oldschool space spawns based on one player joining/leaving), still allows games to keep action going despite low player numbers (something TW never experienced in the olden days, and therefore never needed any consideration to deal with), and gets players spawning outside of mid much more quickly than before.
              "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."

Comment

It's not the right approach. If spawning is not consistent players think the bot is broken. Pick a location and leave it the f alone. And you've got free wrecking games again so you should prioritise that.

Comment

For a short time, some will think it's broken. But with time it'll be clearer what's going on. People aren't stupid.

I trust Turban more than myself on SS settings, POiD more than myself on the details of the network protocol, and Wirah more than myself on web development. I've been designing games for over 30 years, and programming them for just under that. So I feel somewhat justified trusting myself more than I trust you in matters of game design. Despite that, I still lack your brazen surety as to what exactly is the right approach, perhaps because I've had the experience of being wrong so very many times, a luxury I'm sure you haven't been afforded.

Comment

I know you've been wrong a lot. It's why you should listen to me.

Comment

Read back a bit, my arrogant friend.

Comment

Seems you've gone full retard. Good luck with that. Have fun making your perfect arena that nobody else wants to play.

Comment

Will make sure to come back to you later, if you'll have me. Sure is fortunate we've got the one person to have ever existed that is right about everything gracing humble little TW!

Comment

it's a lot better than it was, but..
                            spawning in narnia still happens and still sucks

Comment

For a short time, some will think it's broken. But with time it'll be clearer what's going on. People aren't stupid.
                              TBH I thought the inconsistent spawn locations was down to a bug*; I'd never have realised it was a feature if I hadn't come across this thread.

It's frustrating when you need to help your team ASAP (sometimes there's no terr to attach, or you are the terr) only to be faced with an unexpected long walk.

At least now, I see the thinking behind it (smooth transition between small and large populations) but honestly it has been really annoying. If you can arrive at a solution that removes chance it think it would be worth trying out, however I can't say I have a magic solution myself.

* I filed it under the other perceived bugs such as when I attach after spawning, sometimes it just warps me to regular spawn. This is even more annoying

Comment

Originally posted by Rab View Post
                                it's a lot better than it was, but..
                                spawning in narnia still happens and still sucks
                                you ever heard a quitcha?

quitchabitchin?

Comment

Working...
                                X