Lag/Packetloss Reports Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lag/Packetloss Reports Thread

We've been experiencing higher levels of lag lately, as you may have noticed. Most players are affected somewhat (you may notice higher packetloss and occasional spikes). Some are very seriously affected.

Please report any lag issues you have in this thread to further aid in troubleshooting.
    • 1) What message are you receiving? (Slow C2S packet, high packetloss, med spike?)
    • 2) Are you being disconnected, or placed into spectator mode?
    • 3) Are you getting a server message (green), or a PM from a bot?
    Please copy/paste the message you receive, if possible. Copy/pasting your ?lag report is also useful.

Using this information, as a community we will be trying to resolve the issue. In the meantime we'll be raising lag limits to account for the increased net traffic of many people remaining at home during the crisis, and attempting to do whatever is possible to improve the situation on our end.

If you're experiencing issues, you may also get some improvement to tethering to your phone via USB, Wifi or Bluetooth, or using a VPN. (Free VPN options such as Windscribe exist, though don't trust them 100%. Fine for playing SS on, though.) For VPNs, adjust your location until you find one that is stable. Note that this is of course just a temporary fix, and is not being offered as a solution to the issue.

Thanks for your patience and your help.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

from memory:
    1. high packetloss.
    2. spectator mode
    3. server message (green)

about half the time C2S ploss says something that looks like a high but likely correct, e.g. 0.5%
    about half the time C2S ploss says something completely bullshit, e.g. -97.-5%
    S2C is normal, ping is normal

Comment

I just got sick of it and closed the game, but I've been getting:

1. spike med (packetloss is way higher than usual too, but I was specced for spike med)
      2. Spectator mode
      3. Green message saying I'd been specced for spike med. Limit 125 but I was at 205 or some shit.

Completely unplayable.
      JAMAL> didn't think there was a worse shark than midoent but the_paul takes it

turban> claus is the type of person that would eat shit just so you would have to smell his breath

Originally posted by Ilya;n1135707
      the_paul: the worst guy, needs to go back to school, bad at his job, guido

Comment

Originally posted by the_paul View Post
        I just got sick of it and closed the game, but I've been getting:

1. spike med (packetloss is way higher than usual too, but I was specced for spike med)
        2. Spectator mode
        3. Green message saying I'd been specced for spike med. Limit 125 but I was at 205 or some shit.

Completely unplayable.
        Were those PMs from the bot or server messages? The server shouldn't be harassing you now. New lag settings. Though some people were playing in twbd3, where the settings are the same as before, for comparison.
        "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
        -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Basically all of the above, but the worst by far is S2C which hovers around 2% then jumps to 8% for a half hour, then the process repeats. I can have 3 different 1080p video streams running, uploading huge vid to youtube, a bunch of monitoring tools running for clients, and no noticeable lag on any of it. Exit all of that stuff, load up Subspace and can't play due to S2C, med spike, etc.... Also get disconnects and unable to reconnect for half hour. I don't consider any of this surprising considering the host. In order to avoid these problems, a host needs transit connections to multiple Tier1-2 providers. The cost for leased lines out to AT&T, CenturyLink, Verizon, and GTT's backbones could exceed $50k per month. It's unlikely that a small VPS host can afford to tap into that kind of network diversity, so instead we get routed through overloaded peering points (remember HopOne?). The solution to all of this is the cloud...

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceHiker View Post
            The solution to all of this is the cloud...
            how much?

I agree.

Comment

My packetloss starts around 7-9pm eastern time, and starts climbing up to around 2-3%, just under the lagout limits apparently but enough that everyone seems to be tanking my shots. Nothing else seems to be effected, can play other online games, etc, it seems local to ss. I have done quite a few help/cheater calls in the last few weeks just for the log to see the times, that show when lag starts to get bad.
              Siaxis> yo it was way harder to kill Rage then beam in that dtd

rylo> 1.5 mil for whoever kills renzi
              (10 seconds later)
              rEnZi is out. 17 kills 10 deaths. 2 players remain.
              P TW-Pub> rylo sent you $1,500,000, you now have $4,047,199.

If you're going to do a thing you should to it to the best of your ability or don't do it at all.

Comment

Working...
              X