Comprehensive Spidering Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comprehensive Spidering Guide

There's a lot of new players trying to learn how to base, and given the steep learning curve, I've created an in-depth guide on spidering.

While it addresses some of the basics, most players can figure that out on their own. The primary goal of this is to help spiders take the next step and play at a higher level. Base is a huge S-Curve where players get pretty decent fast, then hit a huge wall at the 7-8* level.

They know the camp shots, occasionally push, shoot sharks, acquit themselves decently in duels, but there's just 100 little things they do every game that is either wrong or slightly inferior, and it adds up over the course of a game, and separates good spiders from great ones.

It can be incredibly hard to identify those errors and correct them, and there's very few basers willing to take the time to teach new players. My hope is this guide acts as the tool those players looking to get really good use.

Reading this guide once then x'ing out will do nothing. It's a blueprint you should repeatedly come back to and drill into your head until you know the whole thing by heart and practice constantly.

It covers literally everything, from cram break, burst shots to avoid, camp shots, anti-camp shots, pushing lanes, blocking for terrs, etc.

Veterans looking to unrust could benefit as well, using it as a refresher course.

It is separated into six sections:

1- Overspiderin
    2- Underspidering
    3- Cramming
    4- Breaking Cram
    5- Essential Tips
    6- Special Situations

You may eventually discard some of the stuff in it and replace it with your own style or other player's advice, but given the lack of available teachers, this is a free and always accessible foundation to build on, and a good starting point.

I've dedicated the guide to Shayde, who took the time out when he was a veteran and I was a newbie to show me how to spider in private arenas.

Hoping everyone stays safe and healthy during the Covid outbreak, and that this guide finds you well.

Good luck!

Spidering Guide (ogron)

Sharking Tips (a2m)
    with notes from turban & rageritual
    Sharking Primer (ogron)
    with wisdom from Mattey
    Last edited by ogron; 01-04-2021, 09:53 PM.
    top 100 basers list

If nobody else is going to say it, I will, even though the rust has covered too thoroughly for me to ever play TW competitively again: this is really, really impressive. Virtually comprehensive. It's not just a guide for spiders -- I think calling it a spidering guide is selling it short a little -- but more a general tactical guide that will improve pretty much any player's basing game by laying out each aspect but from a spider's perspective. If you base you owe it to yourself to give it a read. Even if you don't, it might give you more appreciation for the subtleties of the league with arguably the highest skillcap in TW.

Not sure how hard it would be to convert but this would be amazing to have up as a Steam guide. Could help attract other zone's players to TW basing as well.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

ys very well done

The Mind of the Father
      Riding on the subtle guiders
      Which glitter with the inflexible tracings
      Of relentless Fire

Comment

I opened this fully prepared to trash it, but I've only read part 1 and it's already a damn good guide. Well done Claushouse
        JAMAL> didn't think there was a worse shark than midoent but the_paul takes it

turban> claus is the type of person that would eat shit just so you would have to smell his breath

Originally posted by Ilya;n1135707
        the_paul: the worst guy, needs to go back to school, bad at his job, guido

Comment

I'm worried if I read it it's going to re-wire my infant, malleable TW basing brain lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Kassius View Post
            I'm worried if I read it it's going to re-wire my infant, malleable TW basing brain lol.
            Sounds like a benefit to me.

Comment

Going to check it out in my spare time. I'm sure it's well-done. Thanks claus.

Comment

I just looked at the pictures and even those are good. Very nice guide.
                Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
                Message has been sent to online moderators
                2:BLeeN> veh yes
                (Overstrand)>no
                2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
                2:BLeeN> ok then no
                :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
                (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Comment

As someone that's sat on the bench at ?go base only a nominal amount of time and been picked career-wide 1-5 times, this guide is very helpful. If you're going to be picked you'll be spidering, especially if no one knows you, so it's a great start for anyone looking to base.

Unfortunately from the evident lack of spiders in pub (most people are playing WBs and lancs in fr), I'm not sure the guide will get much exposure unless it's pushed forward by the bots.
                  thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

Originally posted by Edify View Post
                    As someone that's sat on the bench at ?go base only a nominal amount of time and been picked career-wide 1-5 times, this guide is very helpful. If you're going to be picked you'll be spidering, especially if no one knows you, so it's a great start for anyone looking to base.

Unfortunately from the evident lack of spiders in pub (most people are playing WBs and lancs in fr), I'm not sure the guide will get much exposure unless it's pushed forward by the bots.
                    Join a basing squad, you'll get to play. I joined suspiria beginning of January and I was playing my first BDs ever 10 minutes later.

Comment

So far i've read the first 2 parts.
                      Regarding the Overspidiring part i would say its spot on. Its a nice template to any spider in any level.

On the Undering side of things, its a decent guide on how to be a reliable under, but not much more than that. Its hard to teach great undering, because most of it comes from skills and feel for the game. In my opinion, and countering your guide, a mobile under is better than a campy one, but you will be awful if you cant drive or hit shit. So its a thin line playing good undering.
                      Author of the clutchest and most tilting TEK of the century.

1:cripple> i luv lbj cock
                      1:cripple> if he paid me 50k for every time i gave him a bj i'd do it

Comment

I thought that too, then I watched this Basing Cup replay where jr5 camped under and the opponents failed to deal with it.
                        https://www.twitch.tv/videos/580327622

Comment

Originally posted by Rab View Post
                          I thought that too, then I watched this Basing Cup replay where jr5 camped under and the opponents failed to deal with it.
                          https://www.twitch.tv/videos/580327622
                          thats on the opponent spiders. camping works great vs mediocre spiders, they cant do anything about it. but good spiders should be able to punish camp only spiders in under.
                          Author of the clutchest and most tilting TEK of the century.

1:cripple> i luv lbj cock
                          1:cripple> if he paid me 50k for every time i gave him a bj i'd do it

Comment

I opened this guide fully expecting to see absolute trash but im pleasantly surprised to see that this is somehow worse than that.

this game is broken with too many spids who just sit and line and/or play for rec.

Have fun and See YOu all in the Trenches
                            4:BigKing> xD
                            4:Best> i'm leaving chat
                            4:BigKing> what did i do???
                            4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
                            4:BigKing> ???? why though
                            4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that
                            4:BigKing> xD

Comment

thanks para!
                              top 100 basers list

Comment

Working...
                              X