TW Player Ethics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TW Player Ethics

...I just got done playing a TWDD game, and after having being spawned 3 or 4 times I got into this discussion about ethics with a few players from the other squad. That then got me thinking and that brought me here.

Well I'm sure most of you are aware that most TW players' ethics are pretty down right shitty. These poor ethics of spawning/laming/etc. drive others to respond, and how do they respond? They spawn/lame back causing more bs and frustration. So we all now see the cause and affect of laming/spawning? This then brings me to my solution to all of it! If everyone would follow this: "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you" then there wouldn't be anymore laming or frustration over a stupid game! ...I know there are some spawns that can't be prevented, like getting hit by strays as you spawn, or just spawning at the wrong place and time.... Even if one were to accidentally be spawned, doesn't mean that person has to go out spawning cause of the accident.

Is "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you" too idealistic? It's a very simple solution...and I'm sure if players started following it others will follow suit. I know whenever I play elim and I happen to spawn that some players don't fire at me, cause they know I won't fire at them when I spawn. ...And again, I know this is just a pointless game, but it's something we all play a lot, so why not make it more enjoyable?
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 12-08-2004, 07:35 PM. Reason: Making a few corrections. Ty Dameon

i'm sure threads like this have been created, and i'm sure responses were given that are going to sound a lot like mine

but, oh well

spawning isn't some new phenomena, nor is it exclusive to trench wars. so you'll just have to get over it. sorry.

p.s. just so you know, i don't think biblical principles don't really apply to subspace

Comment

Way too idealistic. Too many players view Subspace as a war, and as I'm sure you know ethics have no place in a war. You shoot and kill, or you get shot and die. Until you find some way to remind all of them that Subspace, competitive as it might be, is in fact a game and not a war, you're going to have a lack of ethics, and as such have spawning/"laming"/etc.

Good luck re-educating these psychos though.
      Originally posted by Tone
      It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
      Originally posted by the_paul
      Gargle battery acid fuckface
      Originally posted by Material Girl
      I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

It's do unto others as they would do unto you. I spawn them, and I expect to be spawned back.

But we should change that to "Do unto others, BEFORE they do unto you."
        DELETED

Comment

Originally posted by Pure Hatred
          Way too idealistic. Too many players view Subspace as a war, and as I'm sure you know ethics have no place in a war. You shoot and kill, or you get shot and die. Until you find some way to remind all of them that Subspace, competitive as it might be, is in fact a game and not a war, you're going to have a lack of ethics, and as such have spawning/"laming"/etc.

Good luck re-educating these psychos though.
          So forget about honor then? I know it's a game, but still...it's something a lot of players continue to play. I don't see how playing a game with some honor (not being cheap and lame) isn't too far fetched.

And to jeem, why can't it apply to SS? It should be applied to everything life, for that matter.... And I know spawning isn't a new phenomena...I've happened to be playing this game for about 3+ yrs now...still doesn't mean I should just accept it. If someone started being lame to you in the real world, doing whatever horrible bs they're doing, would you just accept it and start doing it to others?
          Last edited by Asmodeus; 12-08-2004, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Warping + Attaching = your friend.

If you get spawned then you simply weren't paying enough attention to your screen. That's like going afk in base and getting pissed cause you died when you come back.

You could always try playing online chess. I think you have a 30 min timer on every move you make.

Comment

Originally posted by Security
              Warping + Attaching = your friend.

If you get spawned then you simply weren't paying enough attention to your screen. That's like going afk in base and getting pissed cause you died when you come back.

You could always try playing online chess. I think you have a 30 min timer on every move you make.

There are some things/lames you just cannot prevent. Like in ?go base if you attach and die, there's no real stopping/preventing it. But if you're in elim or in a TWDD game, and you have the ability to prevent the spawning by not shooting the player that just spawned, why not prevent it and stop more bs from happening? After the TWDD game I had, I was talking with the other players and they were all telling me they wouldn't have started spawning if my teammates hadn't started.

Comment

Heres my take on it. If I like you I won't spawn you. If I don't like you I will spawn you. If I don't know you I will spawn you. If you spawn me I will spawn you.

I'd also like to point out that for the most part spawns can be prevented. I know there are some that just can't but what I see people do when I spawn them is try to turn and shoot me. What they should do is shift away, hopefully I miss, THEN they turn and shoot me. I know thats not always how its going to work out but usually I get pretty lucky and am able to avoid spawns.
                -Bubbles
                Phillie> lag isnt skill btw F-35
                Kthx> yes it is, newbie.

Comment

Ethics most definitely has a place in war (and in subspace).

But how does that apply to spawning? Spawning is not illegal. It's not unfair. It's annoying at most.

Do unto others is great. Here's another: Proverbs 19:11
                  A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense.

Comment

Originally posted by geekbot
                    Ethics most definitely has a place in war (and in subspace).

But how does that apply to spawning? Spawning is not illegal. It's not unfair. It's annoying at most.

Do unto others is great. Here's another: Proverbs 19:11
                    A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense.
                    Not unfair? When you re-spawn, your chances of defending yourself are quite moot. You'll be lucky enough to fire back. All one can really do right now is hope and pray that there won't be someone there to spawn them when they re-spawn. Hence why I believe if we all adopt the "Do unto others" train of thought, no one would ever have to worry about being spawned, unless they're spawned by accident...and I'm sure life in TW would be much better. You wouldn't have so many angry players calling each other newbs and whatever else they call each other.

Comment

TW is too simple to have ethics in it

Comment

The problem you are referring to is an instance of the Tragedy of the Commons. You're not going to solve it.
                        1:Zerzera> aura shut up
                        1:Zerzera> you hate my recruits because I am muslim
                        jdigs3> jdigs offers u his protection

Comment

Spawning is completely fair. Every player is out to win, every man for himself in terms of elim and DD, thus spawning is a natural advantage you have over your enemy. Say it's down to you and one other guy and you both have 9 deaths.

Do you...

a) Kill him the moment he spawns and wins
                          b) Let him live, giving him the chance to kill you and win

No, this isn't a war, but it's a war game. Everything is fair, everything is justified. If you happen to be in someone's crosshairs when you spawn, it sucks for you, but anyone who understands that it's just part of the game isn't going to complain about it.

"There are those who said this day would never come. What have they to say now?"
                          .Halo.

Y'know... if you were any stupider, I swear death by laughter would be a real medical occurance.

Comment

it is unethical to blow up someone else's spaceship. what did they ever do to you, huh?
                            Ripper>cant pee with a hard on
                            apt>yes u can wtf
                            apt>you need to clear the pipes after a nice masturbation
                            apt>i just put myself in a wierd position
                            apt>so i dont miss the toilet
                            Ripper>but after u masterbaition it usually goes down
                            apt>na
                            apt>ill show you pictures
                            apt>next time I masturbate

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodeus
                              If someone started being lame to you in the real world, doing whatever horrible bs they're doing, would you just accept it and start doing it to others?
                              yes, yes i would

Comment

Working...
                              X