Cram vs. Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cram vs. Line

I hadn't read too much into Eeks' "basing = dead" theory until now.

We BD'ed Akua the other night and lost by about a minute, thanks to our captain insisting that we line. NEWS FLASH, a dyslexic 5-year-old can get through lining. After the match I went off in the chat, saying that if our goal WAS to get into TWL then we had to learn to cram, because this shit was not going to fly come league time. Our captain retorted with "if i say line then we line".

Fuck that. Lining belongs in pub. I may BD one more time with this joke of a squad before I decide that I'd rather be in a squad with an actual future.

Am I overreacting, or is lining as big of a joke as I think it is?
    Originally posted by Tone
    It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
    Originally posted by the_paul
    Gargle battery acid fuckface
    Originally posted by Material Girl
    I tried downloading a soundcard

It took less than a few weeks for people to beat 2-3 year old liners with the then new cram strat.
    So yeah, lining is inferior in many ways; still many people disagree just for old times sake.

Comment

I dunno, lining has always worked for me. I usually pub, but the times 've done ?go base, though maybe not as advanced as BD, lining has worked for me at least. I guess it's all in how you manage your energy, when you fire and your line of fire. Because lining forces them into a pinch situation, and if you place your spiders on either side you can command the entrance pretty well. Cramming though is more of the "best defense is a good offense", which is good, 'm not that great at cramming unless I hang back near the entrance and provide cover fire, so 'm not really sure. Lining can allow you to dictate the pace, but cramming allows you to take it to the enemy.

"There are those who said this day would never come. What have they to say now?"
      .Halo.

Y'know... if you were any stupider, I swear death by laughter would be a real medical occurance.

Comment

There is no way that someone can look at the facts of cram vs. line and say that lining is better.

With cram you have 4-5 spiders constantly shooting down in a very concentrated area with good protection from the walls and repels. If one or two or even all of the spiders die, you can still recover easily by a quick move from the terrier or sharks. With lining, one person dying when they shouldn't (especially a shark) will, 99% of the time, ruin your line. With some of the lag players have these days, lining against them is not even an option because they will spike their way in like a knife through butter.
        sdg

Comment

Why is cramming better than line?

Cram defends lower in the base

- Against a cram, you are already showered with bullets in mid-base, ouch.
          - Against a line, you are practically already in the base before the line-bullets make any impact. There's not much no-man's-land to get through (a few reps is more than enough to get a few ships through).

Cram has a larger area of fire than line.
          - Against a cram, incoming sharks will have to repel earlier and more often. This means they run out of repels leaving the attacking team defenceless.
          - Against a line, incoming sharks need only repel a narrow stream of bullets (that aren't even coming towards them). The line is so inefficient area-wise, the spiders are literally shooting themselves rather than the enemy.

I see Stabby has written something already.
          Last edited by Nockm; 12-13-2004, 11:51 AM.

Comment

line: more fun
            cram: more effective

Comment

Originally posted by Mythrandir
              It took less than a few weeks for people to beat 2-3 year old liners with the then new cram strat.
              So yeah, lining is inferior in many ways; still many people disagree just for old times sake.
              Myth, I've never met anyone who argues that lining is more effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Verthanthi
                Myth, I've never met anyone who argues that lining is more effective.
                I have met dozens of people who used to argue that lining is better than cramming.

Comment

I think lining has a probability of returning and even defeating cram. but only if it is well practiced with experienced sharks that can team with each other and smart spiders that know how to retreat as enemy breaks in...by that time a quick counteroffensive will destroy any breach. well it would be weaker then cram in some aspects...but lining is much stronger when thinking about how strong the enemy is when they are able to enter fr and how strong the defenders are. if lining spiders retreat well as enemy breaks in, as said above, i think 90% of the time they can td or cause enemy to port back out of fr. It is weak first line defense, but has good second defense and counterattack possibilities to it also.
                  -L3

Comment

both lining and cramming sucks, charge the motherfuckers all the way to spawn
                    sage

Comment

Lining can be very effective if people playing know how to do it. To execute good line you need:

-jav in play: gives you options to bomb enemies while they prepare to enter, thus wasting their reps + all the 4-fers you can get by enemies being held up in entrance
                      -sharks mining 2 sets of mines, 4 higher, 4 lower
                      -shark that mines lower stays with mines mining more as it gets repped thus increasing chances for shraps
                      -sharks letting thru parts of the enemy force in, especially if terr tries to drop a port under flag, just rep him up into line
                      -spids that know how to set up high-mid-low stream of fire (1 high to kill all the campers saving energy for crucial def, 1 lower to hit any incoming ppl, 2 mid so they can go under flag and pick up greens or rush the terr after all ppl died)
                      -rnd spid dmg + fc green ratio from before in order to put most pressure on attacking freq
                      -spids aware of possible jav from lower, moving accordingly
                      -spids with pateince

But cramming is much easier to learn for new ppl, and is more effective way to defend most of the times
                      Originally posted by Disliked
                      However, I have a bigger problem, being an atheist for 9 years, most of it during my teenage years I've become a little addicted to masterbation. I've tried to stop and even asked God to help but I'm unable to resist the temptation and it's driving me insane with grief.

Originally posted by concealed
                      when i was on incuria i took 40 mgs of adderol like an hour before every match. didnt help me that much :X

Comment

I don't care about lining or cramming.

What I dislike are people limiting themselves to either of them.

In my opinion the best strategy has always been pushing out. I always found it useless to start setting up lines and I also find it useless to concentrate all your pracs on setting up cram.

One of the things I tried to say with my thread "basing=dead" is that we're making the same mistake with concentrating 24h-cram-only that people did with 24h-lining-only.
                        Last edited by Eeks; 12-13-2004, 01:27 PM.
                        Originally posted by Diakka
                        Lets stop being lil bitches

Comment

Very true, it is ineffective to limit a team to just one strategy.

Ideally you would push out to mid.
                          If you can't control mid anymore, retreat to cram.
                          If you can't control cram anymore, retreat to line.

Comment

Nah. Weasel Cram > all.

Bbring up the opposing team to the front, into a cram and have a weasel come from behind and down the terrier or any other ship(s) from behind. This will then take all attention off the flag for the cram to kill the rest. Even if the Terrier has X, you can bait it out into the open for the free kill and bait out a few spiders from the attack.
                            DELETED

Comment

Originally posted by NaiLed
                              line: more fun
                              cram: more effective
                              Says it all.
                              5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
                              5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
                              5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

Working...
                              X