Constructive Criticism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constructive Criticism

Its pretty much 6AM and I'm sick as shit right now so as I was browsing old forum threads I was getting some thoughts about what I would do to change things around here. Certainly not all inclusive but given my pretty extensive experience in game I thought I'd scratch the surface a bit and see if we can get something constructive out of this. For those that don't want to read my entire book, I will put a TL;DR version at the bottom.

Pub

I don't know if any sort of announcement was made to the public or not, as the only reason I even found out about it was out of mockery but there is a new Sysop for pub and maps (Fis) to replace pinkstar. I trained fis as a ZH/ER/Mod when she started so I know what she is capable of and should be fine but only time will tell how she performs in the current position. My suggestions for pub are not baseless, as with very limited research one could find a million threads in these very forums with suggested changes all over the place, these suggestions include but are not limited to:

• Pure Public Arena

While I am a baser at heart and I prefer to base 99% of the time, once in a great while I'll taxi a lev around for 1 good streak (I still hold the record of 383) so I do understand the appeal for certain players. Instead I would suggest perhaps every other weekend be a pure pub weekend, this would include removing the !buy system for that weekend as well so pub could once again be like it was in the golden days. This way levs still get to be lame shits most of the time while the majority of the rest of pub would finally get some uninterrupted competitive basing.
    • Increase attach bounty for levs

I listed this separately from the above because I would suggest this be a permanent change. A half decent LT can ruin pub for 30+ minutes every single run, only to die to an eventual extreme turret hunt or lucky stray/burst...by "ruin" I mean they either destroy the 2 or more freqs fighting for base constantly without ever getting within radar range, or pull those 2+ freqs out of base entirely to hunt them. Either way it effectively and completely ruins any concept of competition inside the base. After a successful 30 minute hunt and maybe a couple spawns of the levi they fly to a safe, get greened 2 free kills for their 20 bounty and are right back at it again ruining it for everybody else in a matter of a minute or two. This is an extremely easy fix in the settings, just need to find a compromise that makes sense....off the top of my head I would suggest 100 bounty to attach.
    • Fix Killothon

This is for the duelers/spawners/hardcore basers. I think its great that spawnothon got moved into base, but the shit only works like 5% of the time. I played a good base game last night in a wb and counted my kills during a 10 minute killothon. Every single one of my kills was achieved inside base or mid-base. I counted 84 kills in 10 minutes and I ended up losing killothon to some guy with 12 kills (Bot said I had 10). Feel free to test this theory yourselves, Ive known about it for a while just never voiced it til now cuz I didn't feel like making the effort.
    • Public Chat

It's no secret that some people are just naturally more annoying than others (E.G. wiibimbo), and are easily avoidable, but consider the environment that we are harboring for the new players we are bringing in through this steam project. They log in and see Tower spamming random shit that he found on Wikipedia, Manco and his hugely offensive and constant subtle racism on one of his 500 aliases, kill macros all over the place (Guilty as charged) and people shitting all over every new player that DARES to ask a question out loud. An example of this would be recently I watched a brand new player I was working with ask how to ignore somebody that was spamming him in PM with "ez nig" and before I finished my reply somebody told them to Esc-Q to fix the problem, so he did and obviously disconnected and hasn't been online since. While it might be funny to do that to each other a newbie doesn't deserve it and now we have lost another potential player over trolling. I'm not asking to outlaw trolling and trashtalk because that is just plain stupid I'm asking the players to have at least a little decency and allow new players to join us, and for the staff to exercise a little common sense for once and some professional discretion in dealing with these people. These people need to be handled by staff without fear that Demonic is going to come crashing down on them for not following the rule book to a T.

Staff

Beyond the fact that the majority of you are unintelligent, greedy and self serving megalomaniacs, there are some good seeds among you and hopefully those are the people I can reach out to and influence because the chances are I HAVE been in your shoes and done your job and you likely will not find many (there are some) with more efficiency than me.

• Quota

Just stop it already. It was a problem before I became staff, while I was in staff and from what I hear long after I was gone from staff. Its no secret that staff has 3 main groups of people from ZH all the way up to the top. Over-achievers (Shadowknight, Willby, Fis, etc), Quota Chasers (Children, Johnie, A I) and deadweight (Pure_Luck, Poid, 24). I understand you need a system in place to measure the work that is being done and by whom but it is such an outdated system. You shouldn't be able to host bug and levirace repeatedly until you reach X amount of points, or do nothing for 29 days and on the last 2 days get your squad to request javufc 15x via ?help for the 15 points and host it 15 times for another 30 points. While I personally think your Deans of Staff are morons, obviously the powers that be don't agree with me so how about they actually do their job and exercise some common sense in determining who belongs and who doesn't instead of a quota system from 15 years ago?

• Staff Selection

This doesn't just apply to new hires or rehires, but since I'm on the topic who's bright idea was it to hire a guy that does nothing but meow, purr and spin? Rhetorical question because I already know who made that call. And who the fuck are X-Demo and rushed <ZH> among others? I give these people the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise and I'm sure they are actually nice people and deserve a chance but why doesn't anybody get hired that people actually know in this game or have some sort of respect in the community? Remember I was staff for a long while too so I am aware that there has been total shit to choose from, so maybe consider choosing from outside the list of applicants? Maybe the general consensus of staff wouldn't be so terrible if it wasn't made up of never seen veterans up top and never heard of newbies at the bottom. Toss in some spice and get some people with actual respect in the mix, actually reach out to people that you want to be a part of the team instead of waiting for them to come to you. On that note, something needs to change in the way you guys choose people to run shit. Think back to season 14/15 when flared was running twl and Paul/myself were there to back him up. Shit went smooth. Same with ph and his seasons, you can go back as far as you want. You had people that were respected by the community and actually played in TWL at a competitive level running things and it went fine. Since then we've had Aura and humid and look how terrible this shit has become. Same goes with HMS Stargazer running TWEL? Or Reckful? When is the last time either one of them has played in a single duel? Keep in mind I actually like both of those people but cmon, why not get a dueler to do it? I could give more examples but the bottom line doesn't change. Stop picking people that don't make any sense to run shit they know nothing about. If you don't have any good people to pick from who's fault is that? Refer to the start of this paragraph for a solution.

Leagues

• TWL

I just touched on this briefly already so I won't go crazy here but this clusterfuck we had last season can't ever happen again. This 6 in LD 25 in LJ and 11 in LB shit was just beyond retarded and how he managed to get away with that at the beginning of the season is just beyond me. Or nobody setting up the TWL bots for playoffs in LB and having to play 2 different games (Sweet vs Cobra) while making up the rules as we go because none of the TWL Ops and/or hosts actually knows the rules. You guys knew EXACTLY when they playoffs would start months in advance and not a single person took 5 seconds to message wingzero to remind him or make sure it was done in advance or to actually read the rules regarding a playoff match...or allowing cougars to scoot through so many loopholes that they had like 6 LJ games on the final week of the season. That was a pathetic excuse of a season and the results showed with the amount of interest lost during and throughout the season. You've had a player in good standing tactfully offering to revise the rules for years now and still nobody has taken him up on it (Ephemeral). Offer the dude a few of the dollars that 24 stole from us and see what he comes up with and for the love of god stop picking newbies that don't play or don't know how twl works to run it (Ease was a good choice and i already know why he quit [forcing him to work with people he didnt want to work with])

In closing this steam thing has been a great thing so far, I have no idea who in TW in spearheading this thing but whoever it is keep up the good work. I am not so vain to think that all of my ideas are the 100% guaranteed solution to everything. However, they are all backed with solid evidence and years upon years of experience of playing pub, TWL and other leagues as well as my time in staff at every position from ZH all the way up to SMod. I understand that not everyone likes me, much of it deservedly so but I wrote this essay with the best of intentions because as much as I despise many of you I sincerely want nothing but the best for this game I have put so much of my time (and money) into. I hope that the majority of you can look past the fact that I am cocky, sometimes a troll and the many mistakes I've made over the years and realize that I only want to serve in any capacity that I can and I DO know what I am talking about

TL;DR Version
    • Pure pub every other weekend. This means no levs and no !buy
    • Increase attach bounty for levis (Suggesting 100)
    • Fix Killothon...bot only counts a small amount of kills actually done in base
    • Find a fix for public chat in pub... The environment now is not conducive for bringing in new players
    • Get rid of Staff Quota
    • Choose better staff, meaning new hires/re-hires and those chosen to run leagues and/or departments
    • Bring the glory of TWL back to what its supposed to be
    1:wbm> i squint when im angry

Originally posted by mtine
    Yo LF, u'll never get me. Trust me, SUCK MY CUNT U MADAFAKING IDIOT!!! Cum at me bro. God, ur even worse than some fags irl's history. commit suicide since u aren't even worth 5 penises. CAN'T TOUCH DIS!!! Jeez man. ALL UR MOFOS THAT U RULE IN THIS GAME SHUD RLY SEE HOW UGLY U R IRL AND HOW DUMB AS WELL. Oh, 1 last thing: CAN'T TOUCH THIS ASS.

Wii liked LF's post, maybe the start of a romantic relationship?

Comment

I must say I agree on many things in this thread with you, LF, considering you are a very bad person (but I'll put that aside for now).

• Pure Public Arena

While I am a baser at heart and I prefer to base 99% of the time, once in a great while I'll taxi a lev around for 1 good streak (I still hold the record of 383) so I do understand the appeal for certain players. Instead I would suggest perhaps every other weekend be a pure pub weekend, this would include removing the !buy system for that weekend as well so pub could once again be like it was in the golden days. This way levs still get to be lame shits most of the time while the majority of the rest of pub would finally get some uninterrupted competitive basing.
      This was mentioned a while ago, yet the majority still seems to disapprove it (namely staff). I'm not saying it should be run all the time, but a few days per month sounds awesome. I really liked the old pub when there were no levs and no !buy options, as it really brought the best out of everyone (who were basing). I think that perspective is largely missed and new players are gonna get a lot of help (through the !buy option) without even getting better in a particular ship. Sadly to say, this isn't basing ala TW, this is just a poor excuse of TW Staff to make the people with a lot of spacebucks overpowered in pub.

• Increase attach bounty for levs

I listed this separately from the above because I would suggest this be a permanent change. A half decent LT can ruin pub for 30+ minutes every single run, only to die to an eventual extreme turret hunt or lucky stray/burst...by "ruin" I mean they either destroy the 2 or more freqs fighting for base constantly without ever getting within radar range, or pull those 2+ freqs out of base entirely to hunt them. Either way it effectively and completely ruins any concept of competition inside the base. After a successful 30 minute hunt and maybe a couple spawns of the levi they fly to a safe, get greened 2 free kills for their 20 bounty and are right back at it again ruining it for everybody else in a matter of a minute or two. This is an extremely easy fix in the settings, just need to find a compromise that makes sense....off the top of my head I would suggest 100 bounty to attach.
      Totally agree on that one. If you're a lev and you want to LT, you just go to a safe, ask someone to green you up and BAM it's laming time. Even if you kill a levterr, he can just respawn, get greened by a terr again (takes less than a minute) and BAM another laming begins. So in that case, make it a little higher (altho 100 seems a bit high, I'd say 80 is a good start).

• Public Chat

It's no secret that some people are just naturally more annoying than others (E.G. wiibimbo), and are easily avoidable, but consider the environment that we are harboring for the new players we are bringing in through this steam project. They log in and see Tower spamming random shit that he found on Wikipedia, Manco and his hugely offensive and constant subtle racism on one of his 500 aliases, kill macros all over the place (Guilty as charged) and people shitting all over every new player that DARES to ask a question out loud.
      I still don't know where this hatred towards me comes from, but I'm one of the few nice guys who actually help newcomers in TW pub, without trolling them or telling them to press ESC +Q to get a boost or something else. Again, all hatred aside, you can ignore me if you want to, but I've decided not to do that anymore, since it's childish and it makes me look like a moron. Which I'm not. On another note, Tower can be pretty annoying, but if you leave him be, he stops and actually starts basing, where he is really decent. Manco and the likes can be dealt with easily by just reporting them (use ?help Manco spamming racism again. or something like that, Demo will take care of him ez pz), while the others can just be ?ignored.

• Staff Selection

This doesn't just apply to new hires or rehires, but since I'm on the topic who's bright idea was it to hire a guy that does nothing but meow, purr and spin? Rhetorical question because I already know who made that call. And who the fuck are X-Demo and rushed <ZH> among others?
      I also agree with this. Everytime I log in, may it be evening or morning (in the morning there's only like 10-20 people actually playing TW pub), I see this Fozzcat guy sitting in spec, doing nothing but purr and meow and when a number of people start basing, he gets in, gets a person to terr for him and just kill pub alltogether. I've seen many people who pub on a daily basis just ragequit and didn't come back until the next day, when the whole process emerged again. It is annoying to see Staff hire newbs who get to be staffers just because they kissed someone's ass while others, like myself, are being shown the door just because a couple of TW Newbs don't like em. Seriously tho, why bother? As LF said, and again all hatred aside, he helped staff, helped in TWL and otherwise, I don't think you made a lot of good choices in your time. Of course, there's me and some other good guys who just got a red light because they didn't like you, but a staff member shouldn't be chosen by what he does to a TW staffer or how he behaves on a private chat, but rather if he is friendly towards new people, if he knows what he does, got the time to put in effort to help/improve TW zone and to have a vision on how to improve things in the zone. Well, I've got all of the above, yet I'm still not welcome because some of TW Staffers think I'm an idiot. Just a question: why do I have so many friends here tho (and growing, cuz people get to know me and see that I'm really cool), if I'm that hated? Just a thought, not being disrespectful.

Last but not least, Steam. It's great to see things developing in that direction, yet more has to be done, to attract new players. The Achievements addition sounds promising, and even the easy ones to get should be a challenge for old vets to get. There's also other things that were done and hosted in the past but were dropped mainly becuase staffers didn't have time/willingness to do them anymore and didn't want anyone else to do it for them (M_M God and HMS killing my TW Racing, just to name of example). I'll probably make a separate thread about this in another section, just to show you guys, what we got in this zone that isn't being used at all.

All in all, good thread, my friend. Keep 'em coming!
      "Action is the real measure of intelligence. "
      Napoleon Hill

wiibimbo>I'm gonna take u out next week for a beer and pizza at Leonardo's...no homo tho! I prefer big boobs
      Dral>I can get implants

Comment

Dral, I've never said I don't like good ideas, even from the people I don't/didn't like. If they good, I approve, if they not, I don't.
        Napoleon Hill

wiibimbo>I'm gonna take u out next week for a beer and pizza at Leonardo's...no homo tho! I prefer big boobs
        Dral>I can get implants

Comment

Ill address this to the best of my ability (not as an official spokesperson for any part of staff, except maybe Training)

Pub matters have been discussed, but uktimately we are planning to get the public more involved in decisions (one option is removing the option to !buy from outside of safe as a means of reducing leviterr power somewhat, among other ideas that we will be bringing forward once some things get finalised)

I wont touch killotjon, as i dont really care. People that care can input their decisions and ideas on it.
          Pub chat is something that has been taken more care of lately. Of coruse we cant stop everything all the time, but know we are working on this issue when it becomes a problem.

Staff quota is more to make sure people are actually doing stuff, its mostly used to weed out inactives. Of course some people put too much emphasis on it. I never try or care to be top of the charts. My philosophy is "do your job well and correctly and thats what matters most."
          Sometimes mid-month stats have been looked at for those last-minite-quota-makers though, not really often enough sometimes, but meh, if I ever become dean maybe Ill crack down on it, till then its not my place to tell them how to do their job.

Staff selection... sometimes they do reach out to those we want to be on staff. Often we invite them and the deans will ask them to apply (unless they are very familiar with the player).
          As for deciding who will run what, I do agree that better choices can be made at times, but when you have limited people to choose from it can be tough (and forcing them to work with others they dont want to is another issue altogether.) Putting someone in charge and letting them pick who to work with seems like a better choice (with perhaps approval from Top Head of Leagues) and as long as you work with people you enjoy working with, tjings will normally go smoother and better overall.

I also agree at the laughable number of twl squads this year, the No Squad Left Behind selection process was a joke tbh. As for the rules, NOW is the time to work on revising them, cause we all know we staff arent too fast at getting things done when it comes to making decisions. Start work to revise them now, instead of rushing to do so 2 weeks before next season.

Overall I agree with a bunch of your points LF, and personally im not your biggest fan, but I definately dont hate you though. I have an amount of respect for you as a player overall.
          The only thing in your post i am sad about...
          Originally posted by LF
          Shadowknight
          Former TW Staff

Comment

Also, a thought regarding killothon:

Change it to flagroom only and/or disable LTing during that time.
            Napoleon Hill

Dral>I can get implants

Comment

staff recruitment has stooped to an all time low...i mean we had the "went to jail for stealing 50 dollar guys" and the "unbanned a player to win twld guys"...but this fking cat guy...seriously??? and then you fgts have the nerve to wonder why the majority of people loathe and disrespect your "work" and instead of fixing your incompetency you create a rule to further cover up your failures and distance yourselves from the community
              1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

The quote system makes sense but its being abused because of the quality of staffers hired to host events. Sure there are some good ones but most of them want to host shitty one command to start a game with a bot and go afk events instead of actually entertaining their crowd and hosting fun events that require a little work.

You need to seriously assign different quota points for different events. Games like Fishies where you can't go afk should be given 2, and games such as ghoulgames where most staffers can't host with a bot because of arena settings should be awarded 3. Although I can host it with a bot because im a pro.
                Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

zombies games are actually easy to host with a bot, !start 0 1 1 3 1 for the most part, then jump in and play
                  its the gatez-style games that require frequent warps and such.

Meeting quota is only an issue for staffers who are only partially inactive. Not to say they aren't good staffers, but we all have our own personal lives to attend to. Some more so than others. Then we got some who just do other stuff, then think "shit, i gotta get quota or they gonna think im a bad staffer" or something... not sure if they ACTUALLY think that.

and now i lost my focus and am just rambling
                  Former TW Staff

Comment

@work so must be brief -- overall good post, though much amusement at "constructive criticism" and "deans are moron" contrast.

Killothon: fix imminent; know src of bug. I ?msg'd Dexter with the exact issue, as it's his code, but no reply. Will fix soon if needed.

Pub: I like purepub as a planned section of time, but not the entire wkend. Perhaps a 4-5 hr block, floating, once per wkend?

Levis: We can drastically reduce their ability to stay alive by making !buy unavailable. I'm a horrible, HORRIBLE levi and can use rocket, rep, port and FC macro'd/spaced at intervals to get to safe, then buy up to 20. At the very least, make !buy unavailable to levis after 15 bty. That's when team greens stop being shared. Will make an ENORMOUS difference... !buy makes levis (and LTs) almost 2x as powerful.
                    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
                    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

just in case you're wondering lf, i have run more leagues than anyone else ever has in TW. when ph ran TWL (which is the glory days apparently) i ran it with him; the 1st season he was head and the 2nd season i was head. but that's beside the point.

the biggest issue in leagues imo is that TWD is irrelevant now. It used to be that it was competitive to get into TWL so it was fine, but now it isn't so TWD points are just useless. Re-write the TWL system to make it so having high TWD points has some impact. I ain't gonna do it though, am probably done with leagues for good now...cuz this community pretty terribad about bitching.
                      TWDT Head Op Seasons 2, 3, and 4
                      TWL Season 14 & 17 Head Op
                      Season 13 TWLD Champion, Seasons 13 & 14 LJ Champion

Winston Churchill: "That is the sort of nonsense up with which we will not put!"

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.
                      - John F. Kennedy

A sadist is a masochist who follows the Golden Rule.
                      Originally posted by kthx
                      Umm.. Alexander the Great was the leader of the Roman empire, not the Greek empire guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Summa View Post
                        this community pretty terribad about bitching.
                        Welcome to the internet good sir.

>inb4 tits or gtfo
                        Former TW Staff

Comment

Originally posted by Shaddowknight View Post
                          Welcome to the internet good sir.

>inb4 tits or gtfo
                          you talk a lot and try to answer every question about staff like you're an expert, but what exactly have you done?

k
                          TWDT Head Op Seasons 2, 3, and 4
                          TWL Season 14 & 17 Head Op
                          Season 13 TWLD Champion, Seasons 13 & 14 LJ Champion

Winston Churchill: "That is the sort of nonsense up with which we will not put!"

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.
                          - John F. Kennedy

A sadist is a masochist who follows the Golden Rule.
                          Originally posted by kthx
                          Umm.. Alexander the Great was the leader of the Roman empire, not the Greek empire guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Summa View Post
                            you talk a lot and try to answer every question about staff like you're an expert, but what exactly have you done?

k
                            I am inclined to agree with this sentiment, which is why I listed you as an overachiever. Some things merit a response (E.G. wheres my donation money), whereas other things do not. From what I've heard and seen on my own you seem to have good intentions and do try hard which is more than most can say on staff so still a good guy in my eyes but I do think you need to take a giant step backwards before people get pissed off about having their toes stepped on. Just in this thread you answered about pub which you know nothing about, twl which you know nothing about and do not play, the deans of staff which you are not and know nothing about. I really didn't need things broken down and explained to me, especially from someone that has been on staff for a total of like 4 months but do realize I know you are just trying to help. Slow down, power will come to you soon enough
                            1:wbm> i squint when im angry

Originally posted by mtine
                            Yo LF, u'll never get me. Trust me, SUCK MY CUNT U MADAFAKING IDIOT!!! Cum at me bro. God, ur even worse than some fags irl's history. commit suicide since u aren't even worth 5 penises. CAN'T TOUCH DIS!!! Jeez man. ALL UR MOFOS THAT U RULE IN THIS GAME SHUD RLY SEE HOW UGLY U R IRL AND HOW DUMB AS WELL. Oh, 1 last thing: CAN'T TOUCH THIS ASS.

Comment

Well, I am part of the group that is helping fiS with pub.
                              While i've never played TWL, that doesnt mean i don't know anything about it.
                              My 1 year of being on staff ius actually approaching soon.

And I'm answering and responding because nobody else seems to actually care about communicating most of the time until it's brought up that they aren't (which lasts for all of a few days anyway.)
                              I dont really care if people get mad at me for stepping on their toes it they aren't actually doing their job. Maybe they will actually start doing things then.
                              I try hard because I care!
                              !tell lf:who is beam
                              Former TW Staff

Comment

Working...
                              X