Lag Limits & our Euro crowd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lag Limits & our Euro crowd

Half of Europe (and probably almost all of Asia) now can't play TW. Anybody care?

We used to have a great international following. You know, Meet people from all over the world, then kill them?

Change the lag limits, deal with the lag manipulators with death/dismemberment, and spec our Euro crowd only when it's bad. TW's server used to BE in Europe. It was fine then; the low-quality connections in many countries was overcome by the fact that the server was... what, Estonian?

Now we have good American (and UK) connections going to a good American server, and we get whiny if someone has 300ms ping. What, so now they can't play? Deal with lag and bad connections like we've always dealt with them: through gritted teeth, but like adults.

We're bigger than this. Let them play.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

I used to play on dialup and people would bitch and complain about my 220 ms ping with 0% ploss.

I got to lol at their expense.

But yeah, I agree lag limits are okay, but maybe still too high in pub. Maybe it's not an issue, and a staffer can easily solve the issue and help them reduce it in most cases.

The biggest issue I see is... people will never stop whining about something. As long as it's about these little things, I'd say just let them complain and let them down gently that their whining is getting them nowhere.
    Former TW Staff

Comment

rather have a game full of laggots then a game full of nothing

Comment

i think the only time anyone overly cares about lag limits are during league games. i think the lag should probably be increased a bit. the only time its terrible is when a euro/aussie specials in a base game. in twlb i would like to see a more strict lag limit for specials only.

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

what are the lag limits they introduced ?

theyd need to be considerably higher than TWD

infact theyd need to be so high that its pretty pointless to introduce them imo
          In my world,
          I am King

sigpic

Comment

Allowing more laggy players MIGHT increase population but what is the risk? The risk is that lag increases player frustration for everyone.
            My opinion is that the risk is greater than the potential benefit but I am just talking out of my ass since I have no idea how many new players might join if lag limits were to change. Surely we are not stupid enough to just start tweaking lag limits based on ‘gut feelings’ or without any way to really understand if it helps or not? Oh wait, yes we are.

Just go ahead and make this change. Change it, change ship settings, change the pub 0 map. And do all of this just as new traffic start coming from Steam. This in turn will help the forum traffic since then we will have no idea what is going on and everyone can debate assumptions and smoke.
            eph

Comment

Working...
            X