Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leveraged duels (uneven/different amounts bet)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leveraged duels (uneven/different amounts bet)

I've added in leveraged dueling in Pub (finally, heh). This means you can challenge someone to a duel for an uneven amount of money, allowing two players of different skill levels to duel without it being too unfair.

To use:

!leverage <amount>

First specify the amount you are willing to put up for the duel. !leverage 5000 means the next challenge you send, you will be betting 5000 that you'll win.

Then:

!challenge <name>:<ship>:<amount2>

amount2 in the !challenge (or !openchallenge) is the amount your opponent need to put up to duel you. This must be less than the amount you !leverage, so no, you can't fool people into playing an uneven duel. If you want to be the person to put in the smaller amount of money, you'll need to have THEM challenge YOU.

So I could do !leverage 25000 and then !challenge dock>:4:1000 and if I lost, I would lose $25000; if DoCk> lost, he would lose only $1000.

Let me know if there are any issues associated with it ... you know, the usual deal. Happy dueling.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

you will be betting 5000 that you'll win
    Maybe I got you wrong, but you win what you bet while the others only lose their own bet? Gonna pay someone to lose some duel against me =D

Comment

Ah, damnit, had to read that one several times. (I had to think a bit when making the first post, too. Making me think ... gah, such injustice.)

You're betting 5000 that you will win with !leverage 5000, but really you're only stating the amount you're willing to lose. The amount the challenger will get if they win is specified in !challenge. The amount the challenged dueler will win is specified in !leverage.

Would have made it all in one command, but I had to hack the challenge command to pieces enough to implement different ship#s dueling one another + openduels. It's far from elegant, but, hey, that's what we get with our old-school text command parsing. Ideally when you issue a challenge you'd get a window that pops up and you can choose the options you'd like.

A month or so back I was trying to get a VB program to read from the chat window, but the control used is nonstandard, so Windows API calls to read its contents always seemed to fail. Might be a way to do it, but I couldn't figure it out. BUT, could still write a program to format things like challenges -- just send to the chat window text entry box (which IS a standard control/easily workable via API). Might be useful for hosts especially. I don't know if there are enough complex commands to justify the creation of such a tool, though.
      "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."

Comment

So, when you !leverage, is that also the amount you win? Or can you only win as much as the !challenge is for?
        Former TW Staff

Comment

only for how much you challenged for as far as i can tell.

Comment

Sooooo... what's even the point? You put up bigger stakes without a bigger reward?
            Unless I'm missing something.
            Former TW Staff

Comment

if you are absolutely confident in your ability to win a duel, you can place a higher stake to lure players into dueling you .. kind of ..

Comment

Originally posted by Turban View Post
                if you are absolutely confident in your ability to win a duel, you can place a higher stake to lure players into dueling you .. kind of ..
                Yep, that's the premise behind it. If you feel you're better than your opponent, you can leverage for a bit more than the !challenge to give them an incentive to duel. It can also be used on open challenges, so if you're finding nobody will take you up on a duel and you really want to duel, issue an open challenge for a bit less than you leveraged. This will show up in the challenge *arena message sent, as well as in !duels and !openduels. It might not take much of a difference between the two to make it palatable.

Also works as a way to demonstrate your hecka1337 status. "I'll take on anyone at 10 to 1 odds and still win." Etc.

Not a dueling man myself, so I can't say too much about the appeal or possible uses, but it was requested quite awhile ago and I thought of a simple enough way to put it in, so I figured, hey, why not.

Comment

Working...
                X