TWDD Res Limit Decrease TWDD3/4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWDD Res Limit Decrease TWDD3/4?

I'd really enjoy playing in a DD match with the res limits decreased back to 1440/1280. I think if we added this feature to an unused arena we could bring back some old excitement. There's no harm at all in adding this as it would give an additional option, to many who miss the old style of rushing + radar sniping, to play with the limits when sending out challenges. I've been debating for some time to quit. I can't seem to find the motivation to play anymore. I think this may keep me around to see if I find some enjoyment out of it. I know I'm one person with one opinion on this and losing me won't hurt the game at all, but I need something like this to help my mood. Playing on a laptop has ruined me for the last 4 years and I just can't seem to adjust to pretty much anything. I've regressed tremendously which is a sign of me just needing a change or just quitting altogether. Maybe I'm alone on this, and that's fine, but I figured I'd ask and see the feedback.

I'm down with this idea, and not only because I also play on a decreased resolution because of my laptop. There is definitely a different feel to the game at 1280 even when compared to 1440. Could also give some new life to old events if you wanted to go that far. Zombies, oldfishies, re-purpose elim2, etc

Comment

Love this, as long as it's a widescreen res, e.g. 1600x900.

Comment

Seems reasonable and simple enough to do.

Need to come to a consensus about the res, though. Or, could offer several different options. dd3, 4, 5.
        "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
        -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Originally posted by qan View Post
          Seems reasonable and simple enough to do.

Need to come to a consensus about the res, though. Or, could offer several different options. dd3, 4, 5.
          I guess that would work. DD3 1600, DD4 1440, & DD5 1280.

Edit: Should we put up a poll to see if it's worth your time and effort?

Comment

Takes very little time and just adds options, so it seems worthwhile.

What would be the max Y values?
            "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
            -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Originally posted by qan View Post
              Takes very little time and just adds options, so it seems worthwhile.

What would be the max Y values?
              It used to be 1440x1024
              This to allow 1440x968 or something close to it and 1280x1024.

Comment

Originally posted by Majorcrisis2 View Post

It used to be 1440x1024
                This to allow 1440x968 or something close to it and 1280x1024.
                Not sure if this aligns well to modern widescreen monitors, 1440x900 gives me black vertical panels at either side of the screen, whereas 1600x900 doesn't and scales down to fit. Others' experiences may be different, but on this I'd say an incremental step back from 1900x1080 would be 1600x1024.

Comment

As usual, I did the work for this already and nobody listened. /whine
                  I scraped everyone's resolution off the TWD website in 2019 (blank = they had no recent games).
                  Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

People use 1440p and it's a fast-growing res, so excluding that is bad in general.

For niche wb arenas only, the limits to choose from are:
                  - No Limit
                  - 2560x1440
                  - 1920x1200
                  - 1440x1024

Comment

Originally posted by Rab View Post
                    As usual, I did the work for this already and nobody listened. /whine
                    I scraped everyone's resolution off the TWD website in 2019 (blank = they had no recent games).
                    Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

People use 1440p and it's a fast-growing res, so excluding that is bad in general.

For niche wb arenas only, the limits to choose from are:
                    - No Limit
                    - 2560x1440
                    - 1920x1200
                    - 1440x1024
                    Except this thread is exclusively about a suggestion of lowering the res back to more legacy levels for warbird arenas, so I'm not understanding the point of your post.

I would posit that if the higher resolutions that most players use today were available in the development of this game, it would have meant that ship settings would have been changed significantly to compensate for, e.g. Ship acceleration and top speed especially.

Anyway, in terms of standard resolutions nowadays, one would hope that the new client was a bit more smart than just scaling out the viewable screen and would instead create a fixed viewable area around your ship regardless of resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Kassius View Post
                      Except this thread is exclusively about a suggestion of lowering the res back to more legacy levels for warbird arenas, so I'm not understanding the point of your post.
                      The point is you're all guessing what you think is the right change to make.
                      I'm giving you the data so you can stop guessing.

Comment

People who support res limits, are those who can't kill outside 25-50 pixels. You're forced to rush cause you have no actual accuracy!

When you die,to 150+ pixel shots, it's because they're "lobs"... when you miss shots within 50 pixels, it's "lag". If we're putting res limits on the game, we need stricter lag limits first

Comment

Originally posted by Pineapple Express View Post
                          People who support res limits, are those who can't kill outside 25-50 pixels. You're forced to rush cause you have no actual accuracy!

When you die,to 150+ pixel shots, it's because they're "lobs"... when you miss shots within 50 pixels, it's "lag". If we're putting res limits on the game, we need stricter lag limits first
                          Nobody here is talking about adding resolution limits entirely? It's merely a suggestion to give options for those who may want to play with a restrictions in other arenas.

What are you going on about with not actually having accuracy? Back then you relied on your ability to watch radar and having a knack of when and where to shoot based off where the white dot was on your radar. You also had to position yourself to dodge a radar shot while doing all this. It was more of a skill to play in WB then. I spent countless hours playing elim and pub staring at nothing but my radar so I can learn my ship's rotation and positioning based off how the dots were on my radar. It got to a point where I was averaging 1:1 doing this.

Now, with today's res, you actually get to see where those targets are on your screen as opposed to where they possibly might be off screen like in years past. The accuracy has to be far worse in today's game then it was in the past. You have more time to dodge shots now.

Can have the argument that you're completely shit at rushing or defending yourself at getting rushed. The res favors you in being one dimensional.

Comment

Working...
                          X