Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Basing Map Tournys

Hey guys,

I've been tossing around a few ideas and I'm looking for some feedback.

One thing I've always wished that we could do in TWBD was BD in other maps. Now I know that a long time ago everybody decided on the current TWBD map and I don't want that to change because we're all used to it and pretty good at competing in it. I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all.

So I was thinking, why not have tournys once a month or once every two months or something where we have the main bd squads compete in maps other than the regular one.

We could have votes for the map to be used and drop a bot in there for matches sort of like the spidduel bot. Everybody could have a month to dink around in the map if they wanted and then like the last mini-bd tournament we can stagger it over a couple weekends.

Going a bit further and radical into this idea, and looking to future TWL-Bs, what if we spread these tournys out into 2 or 3 month competitions in TWL offseason. Then, when TWL-B comes around and we start talking about this "home field advantage" maybe there would be 3 maps to choose from - the original and 2 of the alternatives. When having that "home field advantage" that squad could choose the map that they wanted. Ok so that's maybe a stretch.

Some problems that I've thought of:

1) Often if squads have enough to bd, they're going to want to bd in the traditional arena. (Perhaps we could set a certain day or two of the week where bds are only allowed in the map for the mini-tourny, it could be set up go base style, I don't know - if folks are interested in competing in the tourny they'll play I guess)

2)It'll kill go base if we do that. Well hell, I'm bored with go base as it is and shifting the bots from go base to an alternative map a couple days a week would be interesting.

3)It'll require staff to coordinate the tournaments. Well I know - but with a lot of things, if you streamline the process and make a system for it, it wouldn't be that difficult. I'm not staff but I'd do it myself and I'm sure there are a few others willing to chip in.

4)Would it affect TWBD rankings? I would say no because that would cause too many problems if the map is too unbalanced, etc. The idea is to simply have a basing competition that is aside from the normal one.

Which is why - as I think about it - it would be better set up as an alternative to ?go base - and to just take the bots out of go base on certain days. Or something. I don't know.

Give me ideas and other problems and whether or not ya'll would actually be interested in alternative map tournys.
    3:sarger> the expression on her face said "ez" but the "arms" said "IMPOSSIBLE"

For some reason, this guy decided to post the entire wiki (or other) on pancakes. -Aquatiq

hi!
    t('_'t)

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse WOW!
      Hey guys,

I've been tossing around a few ideas and I'm looking for some feedback.

One thing I've always wished that we could do in TWBD was BD in other maps. Now I know that a long time ago everybody decided on the current TWBD map and I don't want that to change because we're all used to it and pretty good at competing in it. I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all.

So I was thinking, why not have tournys once a month or once every two months or something where we have the main bd squads compete in maps other than the regular one.

We could have votes for the map to be used and drop a bot in there for matches sort of like the spidduel bot. Everybody could have a month to dink around in the map if they wanted and then like the last mini-bd tournament we can stagger it over a couple weekends.

Going a bit further and radical into this idea, and looking to future TWL-Bs, what if we spread these tournys out into 2 or 3 month competitions in TWL offseason. Then, when TWL-B comes around and we start talking about this "home field advantage" maybe there would be 3 maps to choose from - the original and 2 of the alternatives. When having that "home field advantage" that squad could choose the map that they wanted. Ok so that's maybe a stretch.

Some problems that I've thought of:

1) Often if squads have enough to bd, they're going to want to bd in the traditional arena. (Perhaps we could set a certain day or two of the week where bds are only allowed in the map for the mini-tourny, it could be set up go base style, I don't know - if folks are interested in competing in the tourny they'll play I guess)

2)It'll kill go base if we do that. Well hell, I'm bored with go base as it is and shifting the bots from go base to an alternative map a couple days a week would be interesting.

3)It'll require staff to coordinate the tournaments. Well I know - but with a lot of things, if you streamline the process and make a system for it, it wouldn't be that difficult. I'm not staff but I'd do it myself and I'm sure there are a few others willing to chip in.

4)Would it affect TWBD rankings? I would say no because that would cause too many problems if the map is too unbalanced, etc. The idea is to simply have a basing competition that is aside from the normal one.

Which is why - as I think about it - it would be better set up as an alternative to ?go base - and to just take the bots out of go base on certain days. Or something. I don't know.

Give me ideas and other problems and whether or not ya'll would actually be interested in alternative map tournys.
      I think this is a great idea Apoc. I say we give it a shot
      Trench Wars' favorite cheater

Comment

Working...
      X