resolution limit in twd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• resolution limit in twd?

this is not official in any way. i am simply here to ask you (the players of this boring game) about your opinion on this endless debate that has been going on for years. here's some questions:

Should the TWD resolution limit be increased to 1980x1200 (or) 1680x1200?

What pros and cons does the increased resolution limit have?

Do you really think that TWD is a highly competitive league (similar to TWL) and thus the resolution limit should not be raised? If so, what makes you think this?

post your thoughts, we could be getting an official poll or thread in the near future about this topic (though, knowing trench wars that might or might not happen).

finito.

max twl res should be the same as max twd res. other arenas around tw such as wbduel javduel and base can go to whatever. elim or baseelim since noone cares for rec could probably go to unrestricted as well. twel should probably be restricted because i think some care about it. the draft tournament might be a good experiment to try an unrestricted res to see how everyone likes it.

but, the main point is that twd res should not be set higher than twl res. keep those two together.

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

I already posted this in another similiar thread:

When I was recruiting players from public to join my squad Play (in an attempt to get more players from pub participating in TWD) a MAJOR concern that I was coming across on a daily basis was the fact that the public arena allows a high resolution, and twd doesn't. The pulbic players are used to playing on a bigger resolution and then come to TWD where they have play on a lower one.

Why would they do that? They are having fun in public and if they venture outside of it then they have to change their resolution which changes their gameplay.

Anyways, I agree with the above comment. If we could make it more compatible with widescreen users, that perhaps would open the gate to allow pub players to enjoy TWD.

I personally don't care. I play on 1024-768 resolution, not because I have a small screen but because I just play better on that resolution.

Guess what, if someone can see me across the map I don't care. I'm going to get in your face and kill you anyways. It might make this game a bit harder for me, which might not be so bad

Well I'm saying don't put a cap on it. We are doing nothing but deterring new people from playing in twd. If we still had 500+ people logging on everyday, then we could be picky and have our resolution limits.

It's pretty obvious at this point that the resolution limits won't change. But I just wanted to get my 2 cents in.

Help Promote TrenchWars - www.trenchwars.org/donations - www.trenchwars.org/donationsoverview

Comment

elim allows atleast 1680x1050.. what's up with this?

my vote is for 1680x1050 or 1600x1200. why? no one can play anymore. everyone is just suiciderushing (see win or die)
        TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

1980x would mean almost double the size for viewable area compared to 1024x which happens to be by far the most common resolution according to PubStats. Would this make the game fair for everyone? No..

1980x is also over half bigger than 1280x which is the second most used resolution in this game.

1440x900 and 1280x1024 are clearly fair resolutions for everyone in my opinion.
          Ara / AraGee / Death
          SSCU Trench Wars Player since 1999
          SSCU Trench Wars Staff since 2001
          TWDL, TWL-B, TWL-D, TWL-J, TWDT-J Champion
          ----------------------------------------------

Comment

1024 and 1280 are the most common resolutions because the majority of the players are involved in twd. Therefore they have to keep their settings lower. I play at a custom resolution, I can max at 1980 but 1440 isn't a good ratio for my monitor. I believe there should be some test runs with resolutions, maybe a cap around 1980. If we are going to restrict resolutions by such an extreme number, we should also tell people they are only allowed to play on up to a 17" monitor. I think those people with the 24" monitors have an unfair advantage.. :fear:

Comment

yea roster limit would be nice turban, good idea
              (Steadman)>they went out drinking... ogron siaxis and siaxis gf
              (Steadman)>apparently ogron is EXTREMELY morbidly obese and ridiculously sweaty
              (Steadman)>and he spend the entire night being awkward and staring at siaxis gf
              (Steadman)>and after that they did not meet up again...

Iron Survivor> you missed something in your sig. he also smells like cheese

Comment

Originally posted by Jones View Post
                blablabla..... everyone is just suiciderushing (see SWEET)
                fixed your mistake
                2:Chief Utsav> dwop scale 1-stayon how mad r u atm

Comment

consistency between twd and twl is needed, 1280x1024 and 1440x900 all the way
                  Originally posted by Tone
                  It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
                  Originally posted by the_paul
                  Gargle battery acid fuckface
                  Originally posted by Material Girl
                  I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

Is it possible to limit resolution based upon arena? Not that splitting up things even more is a great idea, but I am wondering how that 1280 would play on a cell screen. Perhaps there should be consideration for supporting two separate resolutions for general TW (excluding leagues).

Comment

1440x1050 windowed all the way mang

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

Originally posted by PH View Post
                        consistency between twd and twl is needed, 1280x1024 and 1440x900 all the way
                        1440x1024*, more like.

please don't tell me i am the only one that thinks that twd is not a highly competitive league and is more about having fun? and by having fun i do not mean that the only thing that can be fun is winning games. my way of having fun is to talk with my "e-friends" and play with them, chat with them and make fun of each other, rather than trying to play 100% and care about everything. it is just a way to escape reality, a way to relax and have fun (unless i'm really grumpy and feel like whining, but even then i don't really give a damn -- i simply just want to let some fumes out) rather than trying to be the best and focusing on every single game.

i have not seen twd as a highly competitive (at least compared to twl) league for several years now, and never will see it that way ever again. you guys obviously care way too much about the league, so you can just go fuck yourselves (yes, it is possible -- allow me 2 insert ur dik in ur ass) and relax a bit. i would still use (guaranteed, 100%) 1280x1024 in the future even if the resolution limit was increased to 1680x1050 / 1980x1200. why, you may ask? that is because i always multitask when playing, always. even if it were a twl final, i would do it -- i will never give this game my 100% focus, and neither should you guys. fuck focusing, fuck caring and fuck full screen (windowed ftw). i don't care about this game that much and neither should you!

now to the real reason why i asked this question; i have seen countless players quit the zone because of the low resolution limits in twd. new players want to play with their native resolution, or at least a resolution that is higher than the current low one. only people that seem to care about the resolution limits in twd seem to be old-ish players that just.. care.. too.. much. while we're at it, lets get rid of public arenas resolution limits completely and increase baseelim resolution limit (elim already is unlimited? or 1980x1200 whatever) more. we aren't in the early 00's anymore. none of us care about this game as much as we used to care, so we should just move forward and stop living in the past. just.. let it.. go..

1680x1050 / 1980x1200 does not give any kind of an advantage in twjd/twbd and only a slight advantage in twdd. and hey, even 1280x1024 has an advantage over 800x600 (in a way worse way, as dodging with 800x600 vs 1280x1024 is way harder than with 1280x1024 vs 1680x1050). and please don't give me that "not everyone has access to 22" monitors" bullshit, not everyone has 1280x1024 resolutions either, so how about we just fucking lower the resolution to 800x600 then? at least that would be fair, and no one could complain! hah.

if you really feel that resolution limits in twdd should not be touched, at least increase the resolution limit in twjd, twsd and twbd. that isn't game breaking, that would do nothing but good to the zone and could possibly attract more players from other zones to play trench wars.

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
                        Is it possible to limit resolution based upon arena? Not that splitting up things even more is a great idea, but I am wondering how that 1280 would play on a cell screen. Perhaps there should be consideration for supporting two separate resolutions for general TW (excluding leagues).
                        all resolution limits are based on the arena settings. you set an X and Y resolution limit, and if it exceeds that number you can't enter the arena / will disconnect -- if that is what you asked.

e.g. there could be one arena (twjd4) with resolution limit of 1680x1050, where as twjd-twjd3 would have 1280x1024 as their limit.

whatever. end of rant.

tl;dr:

- you guys care too much
                        - people quit because of the resolution limits
                        - change twd res to 1680x1050 in twjd/twbd if you think twdd has to remain at 1280x1024
                        - twd is not competitive. twl is competitive, though even that league isn't important.
                        - i would still use 1280x1024 resolution in twd because it allows me to multitask, fuck full screen and bigger resolutions if i can multitask (watch movies, msn, browse forums, surf the internet or play browser games!)

fuck you. that's all for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ara View Post
                          1980x would mean almost double the size for viewable area compared to 1024x which happens to be by far the most common resolution according to PubStats. Would this make the game fair for everyone? No..

1980x is also over half bigger than 1280x which is the second most used resolution in this game.

1440x900 and 1280x1024 are clearly fair resolutions for everyone in my opinion.
                          sorry to disappoint you, ara, but that link is not any sort of proof.

1. it is out dated and inaccurate. bot does not check the maximum resolution one can use and record that to the database, rather it just checks your current resolution that you are using. higher resolution wide screen monitors would be ranked way higher in that if it kept real statistics (aka highest resolution that monitor can use).

2. the default resolution when people start playing is 1024x or 1280x and several players (trust me, there's TONS OF THEM) don't even know how to change the resolution to higher.

geeee. if you really want to make it fair based on stupid inaccurate statistics, then lets change the resolution limit to 800x or 1024x (as most people don't have access to those resolutions, according to your inaccurate stats) as that would be the most fair thing to do. hah!

(that didn't make much sense, but i'm sure you got my point -- your link proves nothing and is inaccurate as hell)

Comment

and triple post, i would rather have the resolution increased to 1680x1050 in twd (not twl, maybe -- or maybe twl. don't care) than 1980x1200. :fear:

Comment

yes turban, it's about fun, not who has the deepest wallet or the most available space on their desk

really, if losing 160 pixels one way or 124 pixels the other way makes this game so unenjoyable for you then just uninstall it, there's the door, don't let it hit you on the way out

and the reason we need consistency between twd and twl is simple, i don't want to hear any bitching from people who play the entire offseason in 1680x1050 and suddenly get squeezed to even the playing field when the season starts

and no, right now changing the resolution limits for twl is not something i want to do, but humid is probably doing it for twdt and if that goes well i may consider it
                              Originally posted by Tone
                              It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
                              Originally posted by the_paul
                              Gargle battery acid fuckface
                              Originally posted by Material Girl
                              I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

Working...
                              X