No announcement yet.

This is the bat signal - let's talk about TWDT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are about 50 sign ups away from reaching one of our goals, lets keep it going. Also looking for some more cap volunteers, preferably previous caps with experience.

TWDT 2019

Comment

How does this game still have drama lmaooooooo
      Geio> Down to chill and play that
      Best> rather log off and attempt to suck my own d

Comment

Originally posted by Claushouse View Post

looool, finally the truth comes out. all makes sense now. you're a bad player with a chip on his shoulder who thinks he's just as good as the vets.

if only someone created a league where you didn't get to choose your team, played 100s of random matches, and your success was entirely dependent on your performances, we could test your theory.

oh wait, we did, it's called the first two seasons of TSL.

and, shocker, all the best players were the vets who are highly rated in TWDT. all the best players in jav and wb hit $500+ in those leagues, and none of the bad players did.

there is no conspiracy theory. you're bad at this game, and all the other bad players are bad at this game, and no one is keeping them off teams arbitrarily.
        Yeah, I actively go around having secret motives and lying (sarcasm). I'm a truth troll. I own with the truth, that's why you are so riled up.

It amazes me how delusional you are that you actually believe anyone here rates individuals in a heavily team based game without bias or popular opinion. Just look at how the world works...

"Meanwhile, the 3.7 billion people who make up the poorest half of the world saw no increase in their wealth last year. Nothing. Zero." People who aren't winners are already deemed useless. That's why all the vets play on stacked teams and wouldn't touch a losing team, they are protecting their online image. "A future where everyone benefits is possible if we redesign our economy to truly reward hard work, rather than wealth" this is about the economy, but it applies here too. Team games reward the winners, the winners get top rated. Losing teams have to struggle more, so if you put that "winner" on the losing team they wouldn't appear glamorous, their stats would look average all the way to shitty. No one takes that into account when they do ratings. You guys have no clue what skill is you think little risk = most skill. But it's actually that risk = skill. Fight 1 vs 2 and win, fight on a shitty team and perform the best. That's skill. The more risks you take the better you are. It's easy to sit in spec and say you are the best while you build your squad with the best players.

You have no idea what you're talking about. I created all the low-star slots in TWDT. It has helped tons of promising and up-and-coming players get exposure to playing with pros, and back in the day helped them get recruited to elite TWL teams.
        that's good news.

Being low-rated is an advantage!

How do you not get that?

If a TWDT rater has underestimated a player's talent... that player will immediately become a hot commodity for being rated too low, and become a superstar in TWDT. If someone is trying to "keep you down" by giving you a low rating, and you're actually good, IT HAS THE OPPOSITE EFFECT! So your theories are ridiculous and untrue.

I re-built this league into being a place for getting non-elite players getting serious playtime.

There are 8, 7, and 6-Star lots in jav and wb, and 8, 7, 7, 6 star slots in base.

This league is literally filled with non-veterans getting legitimate shots at winning titles. A big part of TWDT is giving new and non-elite players shots at becoming a veteran, or at least contributing to the team's success.

I've dedicated serious amounts of my time to non-vets through TSL and TWDT and getting them involved in leagues, and way too much time to arguing with you on the internet.

You don't know what you're talking about, and you have nothing worthwhile to contribute to the conversation on leagues. I'm adding you to my forums ignore list, and never reading another thing you ever write.

Good riddance.
        yeah i agree being low rated is positive for the player, if they are actually put in and not benched, and for the teams... but not so much when one team got all the low-rated players who are actually better than their rating says, or when too many players were under-estimated which throws off the balance. What happens if trasher was rated a 6 because he never played often and when he did he was on the worst team possible that not even he could look good on? And then he gets drafted to a team that already has 3 all stars on it. Suddenly your league is unbalanced.

the only thing tw has going for it is that there are multiple leagues where individual skill assessments are possible, and the totally random league you described above helps. But if this was like dsb with just a team league, it would be bias as fuck. Also keep in mind in DSB when we'd duel the most pro players in the game they would own 5-1 but in a team match up, you would go anywhere from 7-8 when their team was stacked to 16-8 vs them. a team atmosphere/gameplay alters how great they are at dueling, it's a different dynamic, they literally became normal players and easy to kill.
        Last edited by Falconeer; 12-28-2018, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Falconeer View Post
          Also keep in mind in DSB when we'd duel the most pro players in the game they would own 5-1 but in a team match up, you would go anywhere from 7-8 when their team was stacked to 16-8 vs them. a team atmosphere/gameplay alters how great they are at dueling, it's a different dynamic, they literally became normal players and easy to kill.
          You can only accurately judge talent and skill from the top down. Mediocre players have too big of a blind spot. This quote proves you aren't in the best position to judge, as you've already announced that you don't know what's ever actually happening. If you knew what was actually going on, you'd be able to talk nuance about the differences of 1v1 and a team game instead of boiling it down to some sort of oppressive conspiracy theory.

Averaged ratings never work. Not only do we not have the resources to do it, we've already ran the experiment and it had the worst outcome of anything else we've tried. Claus has spelled this out for you.

From season to season, there's maybe 5% change at most in player's ratings. By the end of the year we're talking about maybe 5 players who were underrated in a single league. That's remarkably accurate. And most of the time, those errors stem from players making big leaps in skill during that time period, when we couldn't have accounted for that until we ran the season (steadman is a good example.) Captains who are better at identifying these players have a competitive advantage, as they should. Lews Therin was underrated at 7*, but we were literally just one point off and he hadn't played for 14 years.

We do our best with the resources we have, and anyone who constantly holds onto bad ratings as a reason for complaining isn't thinking straight about these things. It'll be fine.

PattheBat> steadman your name is literally "a mean std"
          ogron> CM,OPN NMKAN

Comment

Originally posted by Mythril View Post

You can only accurately judge talent and skill from the top down. Mediocre players have too big of a blind spot. This quote proves you aren't in the best position to judge, as you've already announced that you don't know what's ever actually happening. If you knew what was actually going on, you'd be able to talk nuance about the differences of 1v1 and a team game instead of boiling it down to some sort of oppressive conspiracy theory.

Averaged ratings never work. Not only do we not have the resources to do it, we've already ran the experiment and it had the worst outcome of anything else we've tried. Claus has spelled this out for you.

From season to season, there's maybe 5% change at most in player's ratings. By the end of the year we're talking about maybe 5 players who were underrated in a single league. That's remarkably accurate. And most of the time, those errors stem from players making big leaps in skill during that time period, when we couldn't have accounted for that until we ran the season (steadman is a good example.) Captains who are better at identifying these players have a competitive advantage, as they should. Lews Therin was underrated at 7*, but we were literally just one point off and he hadn't played for 14 years.

We do our best with the resources we have, and anyone who constantly holds onto bad ratings as a reason for complaining isn't thinking straight about these things. It'll be fine.

Yea there always will be ratings off.
            Myself is a good example too. Terrorist 2016 i got put in wb in the last game of regular season. Before that dreamwin didnt even think about adding me. Yet i did great in semi and finals as a 6 star. My jav basicly went the same. Mcvicar is just like that, the guy never played wb/jav untill tsl season 3 i think. He was rated 6 because of the never playing, but showed he was worth a 7. That stuff happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Mythril View Post

You guys gotta chill, i didn't come in this thread proclaiming i'm an expert and giving my resume with TW league. I think I actually posted somewhere saying I don't know much about TW league which is why I rarely post there. But that doesn't mean what I brought up isn't a problem or that there isn't a way to improve how you rate players. If you look at what clause is supporting; he wants a group of vets to rate players. No where did i disagree with him, i agree with that, i just think you guys could add in more checks and balances, and not leave it *ALL* up to the vets. i think averaging out the vets ratings of people would yield even more accurate results. If all of you rated someone a 9, then the average would be a 9, but if some of you rated one guy a 7, and one guy a 9, the average would be an 8. How would this be a bad thing? i think clause wants 1 or 2 vets rating, while i want a team of 7. And if we can convince development staff to make a bot/system that does most of the work to which vets would just have to approve the bot rating or not, it would help too.

As well, as a player i would be fed up with people rating me, giving me dumb ass ratings because they saw me lose vs. a stacked team. I should be given the system/rubric everyone else is using and be allowed to rate myself, shouldn't i know my skill best? Minimally personal player ratings can be taken under advisement by the rating team, so something that is not only done optionally, but also not even required to be used, but rather considered by the vets. Lets say clause considers himself a 9, but everyone keeps giving him an 7.5 (totally hypothetical situation)... they can look that he considers himself a 9, and say lets give him the benefit of the doubt there is some leeway there that leads me to believe he performs as a 9 sometimes. So we will add .5 to his rating.

End of the day i just threw these out there as general suggestions for you all to consider. I don't actually have all the answers, just a very rough idea of what works and doesn't work, mostly within the confines of team leagues. i don't know the best way to implement or do things, those are things you learn with experience and practice, i leave all that shit up to you, if you know how to make my suggestions work even better. If you think they are bad or not a good fit then you don't have to do them... you can prove them wrong if you're out to convince me to change my mind, but if not then arguing just prolongs this conversation that literally would have not gone anywhere after my first post, because i'm not out to force you to do it this way or anything - hence suggestions.
              Last edited by Falconeer; 12-29-2018, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I signed up this year so yall get to kill me if that helps sign ups and uhh mythril I think i deserve a 6 or 5 is there a 4? i'll take a 4 rating I suck lol I mean 1 ship wonder here. :laugh:

Also I made up this squad i'm in god only knows how long ago lmao I think its time for it to go away = (

Long story short lets have a good 2019

And again please rate me Looooow lol I dont think "someone" gets how this process works lol

For those of you in PUBG wait! wrong game... Fuq.. Well I guess you could bring people from there back.. Hell just announce there is a fucking hard game like this one and takes a lot of skill might bring people who are competitive to try it out or remind some old players to warm up for the new season who knows maybe get in some twitch streams and remind some of the old folk we are coming back new season. Anyone want to stream it?

This is the chance to show people the competitive part of the game not the pub side of the game. Just a thought. Yes we post youtube vids but meh.. To hear a cap working with the team in a stream much more fun. We might even gain new players.

TLDR Ya get to kill me this year. Sign up. Get your monster drinks ready. Uhh what else.. Oh yea. Hunt on.

Comment

Christ, so much drama and time spent arguing with only 30 people left.....happy new year all.

Also these new forums are absolutely horrendous both aesthetically and functionally.
                  TWL-J Season 11 Champion
                  TWL-J Season 21 Champion
                  TWL-B Season 21 Champion
                  TWL-B Season 22 Finalist
                  TWDT-D 2017 Champion
                  TWDT-J 2017 Champion

Comment

btw, i use 1280x1024. which is pretty terrible.
                    TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Working...
                    X