TWDT Winter 2019 Ratings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWDT Winter 2019 Ratings

Here are the ratings for the Winter 2019 TWDT Season. Ratings were mostly done by myself, zidane and spezza. Thanks to steadman, trasher, claus, and henry saari for providing additional input.

TWDT 2019 Ratings Sheet

Keep in mind, there's a new 40* lineup cap for TWDT-D/J and a 66* lineup cap for TWDT-B. Here is the rating criteria we tried to follow, while keeping the new structure in mind:

10* - Elite player. High floor with the highest ceiling. Expected to carry the majority of games. No glaring weaknesses. 13-15 kill average

9* - Fringe top-tier. High level talent and understanding of the game. Ability to single handedly shift outcomes, but not as often as the elites of the game. 11-13 kill average.

8* - Trustworthy, above average player who's capable of hanging with the above tiers and has a sizable advantage over the lower tiers. Expected to hold their own against any team and impact several games throughout the season. 9-11 kill average

7* - Intermediate player. A good grasp of league play and solid talent. Not expected to ever carry but also shouldn't be freebie kills for opposing teams. 7-9 kill average.

6* - Serviceable player who has reasonably enough experience to participate in high level game play. But for all intents and purposes, the weak link of the lineup. These players should almost never reach 10 kills in a match, but they also shouldn't be an auto forfeit when added. 5-7 kill average.

5* - The novice. Verging on being unplayable in competitive leagues. Players who are free kills for almost anyone in the above tiers. 2-4 kill average.

We're open to change the ratings at any point up until the draft, so feel free to comment about any mistakes you see. There's also some discussions going on about whether we should rate each basing ship individually (10/8/7 for spid/terr/shark), or rate specific ships differently depending on the ship's impact (such as bumping up a shark's rating). Hopefully people can bring those discussions to this thread so people can consider them here.

The draft is in less than a week. We're open to all good ideas. Just argue them soon so there's time to implement them. And if you haven't signed up for the draft yet, please do.

Rules coming soon.
    Last edited by Mythril; 01-07-2019, 08:19 PM.
    PattheBat> steadman your name is literally "a mean std"
    ogron> CM,OPN NMKAN

Originally posted by Mythril View Post
    We're open to change the ratings at any point up until the draft, so feel free to comment about any mistakes you see. There's also some discussions going on about whether we should rate each basing ship individually (10/8/7 for spid/terr/shark), or rate specific ships differently depending on the ship's impact (such as bumping up a shark's rating). Hopefully people can bring those discussions to this thread so people can consider them here.
    Nice work. Ratings are pretty good. My feedback on some of the basing ratings:

Hellkite should be a 10 instead of 9, he's a TWLB Finals MVP spider and sharked in multiple TWDT-B Finals.

Racka should be a 7 instead of 8.

Steadman should be a 7 instead of 8. He's closer to an 8 than Racka, but still a 7 IMO.

Kado way too low as a 7, he should be an 8. He's been one of the best underspids past few years. Crazy low.

My only other note would be echoing what Trasher and Turban suggested in-game today: Make all the top tier terriers (Cape/Mikkiz/Ogron/Thix) 9s, and Heaven an 8. So 1 star lower than their current ratings. Terr quality has fallen off across the board over the past 2 years and not as impactful as before, and sharks/spids have more immediate impact in a dead game. Sharks are really strong in TWDT. I don't think any terr playing right now is as impactful as a 10-Star spider or shark. Maybe 2 years ago, but not now.

Looks very solid overall, though. Kudos.
    top 100 basers list

Comment

Mods plz sticky this thread.

I looked at the ratings and thought "doesn't seem to be many 8 or 9 stars", so I did the distribution chart and it looks like this:

I'm not saying this is good or bad, I just made it for curiosity so I'm sharing it because it's interesting.

Comment

Also, make sure your ratings and signup sheets are the same sheet so they don't get out of sync.

Comment

I just realised im unavailable from feb 15 until march 8. So probably want to take that into account in the draft.

Besides that I'm wondering how I'm a 7 in basing when I have MAYBE played 1 base game in my entire life. Which was at least 7 years ago. It doesn't really matter as base games start too late for me to be able to join, but just curious how that rating came to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Claushouse View Post

Nice work. Ratings are pretty good. My feedback on some of the basing ratings:

Hellkite should be a 10 instead of 9, he's a TWLB Finals MVP spider and sharked in multiple TWDT-B Finals.

Racka should be a 7 instead of 8.

Steadman should be a 7 instead of 8. He's closer to an 8 than Racka, but still a 7 IMO.

Kado way too low as a 7, he should be an 8. He's been one of the best underspids past few years. Crazy low.

My only other note would be echoing what Trasher and Turban suggested in-game today: Make all the top tier terriers (Cape/Mikkiz/Ogron/Thix) 9s, and Heaven an 8. So 1 star lower than their current ratings. Terr quality has fallen off across the board over the past 2 years and not as impactful as before, and sharks/spids have more immediate impact in a dead game. Sharks are really strong in TWDT. I don't think any terr playing right now is as impactful as a 10-Star spider or shark. Maybe 2 years ago, but not now.

Looks very solid overall, though. Kudos.
            Thank you for the ratings. I agree with hk/kado but disagree on racka / steadman as I feel both would be broken at 7.

Definitely agree with everything you said about sharks and terrs.

Went quickly through the list and I think these ratings could be reconsidered:
            Falconpunch/bellflowers WB 6 -> 7
            Johnie 7 -> 8 jav
            Morph 8 -> 7 base (if beam is 7)
            Ra 7-> 8 wb / jav (feel like this guy has been 7 for years and proved to be broken at 7)
            rozay 7 -> 8 base
            War 7 -> 6 jav (think he has been unplayable at 7, he was in my team for sometime and I tried him out but he ended up as a sub even at 6)

Season 12 champion TWLD / TWLJ
            Season 18 champion TWLJ / TWLB
            Season 19 champion TWLB (C)

Season 6 champion TWDT-J TWDT-B (C)
            Season 10 champion TWDT-J (C)
            Season 11 champion TWDT-B (C)
            Season 13 champion TWDT-B (C)
            Season 17 TRIPLE CROWN TWDT (C)

The winningest TWDT captain of all time

Comment

Ease waits every year to knock one out to this spreadsheet
              Best warbird to ever enter trenchwars

Comment

people sneaking in some changes

Comment

Thanks for the graphs rab. Very helpful. The distribution in the 40* cap will work well in wb/jav.

But it also made me realize the 64* cap is going to be far too low in TWDT-B. We need high quality basing matches that utilizes more of the 8*s and 7*s as opposed to forcing more 6*s. The goal of the lineup caps were to add flexibility to lineups while also maintaining the same high-quality gameplay of previous seasons.

The max total * count in the previous system (4 high star (all 10*s), 8, 7, 7, 6) was 68* (8.5* avg). 3 high star(all 10*s)/8/8/7/7/6 is 66* (8.25* avg). 66* suits the talent pool much better than 64*.

I'm also fine with this below in addition to the 66* twdt-b cap to further increase the quality of games:

Originally posted by Claushouse View Post
                  As long as we're consistent when we rate the lesser terrs relative to the 9* terr cap, I think this is a great idea. We want the best base games possible. Too many 8*s sat on the bench last season in TWDT-B. That can't happen again.

Updated changes:
                  hellkite - 9* to 10* in base
                  Kado - 7* to 8* in base
                  uprise - 7* to 6* in base

Need more opinions on war/rozay/ra before they're changed. Pretty much every player mentioned has been debated by 7-8 top tier players already. I make changes when new input creates a new majority or if something was an obvious error.
                  ogron> CM,OPN NMKAN

Comment

Jav suggestions

Bacon 8 -> 7
                    Mikkiz 8 -> 7
                    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Originally posted by Mythril View Post

Need more opinions on war/rozay/ra before they're changed. Pretty much every player mentioned has been debated by 7-8 top tier players already. I make changes when new input creates a new majority or if something was an obvious error.
                      War could definitely be 6* jav
                      Ra is about right at 7* imo.
                      Dunno who rozay is.
                      You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Originally posted by MHz View Post

War could definitely be 6* jav
                        Ra is about right at 7* imo.
                        Dunno who rozay is.
                        Rozay is murdercity, dunno if u remember him.
                        i agree with your thoughts on ra and mikkiz. I even think lockdown as 8 jav is highly overrated.

Comment

I would like to make an appeal to my rating that makes 100% sense. No its not about wb...... You are nerfing all terrs to make for a better basing game, yes? I have only played terr and im barely a 7*, you can ask any baser. If you check all my games i doubt ive gone positive in spider ever and i certainly can't shark. If you are nerfing the other terrs, i would suggest I should be a 6* terr in that regard.
                          1:waven> u challenge
                          1:waven> if i challenge it looks too scary

Originally posted by MHz
                          Hope you contract ebola from your, no doubt cheap, Easter Egg, you fucking shit-jav, pug-faced cunt.

Comment

Yeah the terr cap is causing problems. It's already going to be difficult enough figuring out basing lineups, adding other rules like "Tiny is a 6* if added in terr" is going to be messy. I'm considering going back to old ratings and increasing the basing cap to 67*. This is the only way to account for the talent difference without adding unnecessary confusion.

In the future, it'll most likely be required to rate base players individually per ship. We'll have to deal with it for this season. I'll talk to caps about the 67* change and terr change before the draft.
                            ogron> CM,OPN NMKAN

Comment

Can you clarify what you mean by "old ratings" for terrs?
                              I also wonder whether it's even possible to rate "terrs" in any special way because some of us who don't usually terr are perfectly servicable terrs.

Comment

Working...
                              X