No announcement yet.

What's after TWDT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all, my props to mostly Mythril, Method, Ogron and all the captains, hosts, and players etc who still put their heart into this game. Sometimes I don't login for well over a year and when I do this place seems dead, and it makes me a bit sentimental. But then there's a time again like just before this TWDT, and I see the buzz that Myth created, and it makes me feel proud there's still some awesome people who keep this game running after all these years. And I decide to waste a few more sunday evenings of my life.

Quality wise I'm not up to much anymore, I've joined the league of true washed up vets, penalized with a playing style which is ingrained by my childhood memory. So now I unwillingly put myself into the situations I used to master, but my reflexes and subtle movements are way off, so I stumble and end up laughing at myself getting owned. Oh well at least I am here for a bit again enjoying the show!

I really like the concept of Twdt, and what Ogron made of it. However I foresee this season has become almost a bit too popular, and a lot of players will be sitting on the sidelines, and not all will be as willingly to do so.. Plus like some others already said, you can't repeat this concept throughout a year..

When I hear "a new TWL season", I like many others, think of TWL from the (g)olden days. With multiple awesome squads, challenging for each league. It isn't fair to compare it to TW's current situation, so we shouldn't compare. I'm too inactive myself, but from the bits I've seen lately, I'd say TWL in 2019 could work, but only if we allow ourselves to reinvent it. For me this means: no powerhouse stacking, because there's simply not enough good players left, and far too little activity for lesser players to have even a small chance of becoming good enough during a season. And we all know those lesser players have been lesser players for 10+ years, so they won't become challengers overnight.

My expensive 2 cents for a renewed TWL-concept (and hopefully an overall more lively TW-competion during the season with some incentive for all *levels):
    Combine the best of TWL with the best of TWDT
    Best of TWL = You can choose the people you want to play with. However with more restrictions than in the past, so choose wisely.
    Best of TWDT = (lesser) players or players who are okay with playing on w/e team get onto a TWL squad by being drafted, (and 'might' even play on the highest level if they prove themselves worthy.)
    Better TWD: During the TWL season the only TWD squads are the TWL sqauds. (borrowing for more action and also for players who miss draft + free agency).

Phase 1: Signing up. All players can sign up to participate. And (if you want to) you can register as a core/squad of max 5(?) players. This means for TWLD/TWLJ if you really want to, you can still form a powerhouse TWLD/J-team.
    Phase 2: Based on amount of players + squads signed up we determine how many teams can viably enter the league. If 6, then the 6 cores with the highest ratings get in, the others get put into the draft with all others. (Can also be another system for deciding squads; like a voting system, or we trust certain veterans to pick the best squads for the league). Just make sure it's a very clear system, so there won't be any hard feelings.
    Phase 3: Draft. Core with the lowest total rating gets first pick etc.
    'Possible' Phase 4: (As the buzz usually comes later.. a Free Agency Draft. Squad with lowest rating out of their top 10 (?) players gets first pick (also to make sure high quality players don't deliberately wait for Free Agency to get on the strongest teams)).
    Phase 5: TWL regular season: so sometimes you'll get trashed like in the olden days, sometimes we'll see the highest quality matches in years!
    Phase 6: TWL Playoffs! Only for the best
    Phase 7: 'Lower rank playoffs, based on TWD ranking'

Both TWL and TWDT can't tackle the problem of low* players who won't be involved at all, and some get a bit moody. And with TSL bringing all together, it gets quite dull for the better players, not being able to create quality matchups, and lesser players just get trashed; plus some people will start developing really strange egoistical styles of play in what should be a team event...
    My idea: During TWL season, TWD consists of only those TWL squads. So once drafted you're automatically signed to that squad in TWD. During the season you'll still mostly prac with that team, and lesser players will play with some quality teammates from time to time. (Borrowing ofc still allowed for all those who didn't draft / and to make sure there's enough action going on, maybe games which don't count for rank or maybe just half points or w/e, figure something out..)
    Then: THE incentive for lower ranked players. We create a lower-rank playoffs based on the TWD-ladder. If we get 6/8 squads, top 4 (each league) get in. only players with 7* or less can play in that, so for high ranked players there's no real reason to try hard in TWD and refuse to play with certain players. At most for bragging rights some might want to create a chance for their lower * squadies to win a medal of their own.
    These lower playoffs semis+finals are in the weekend between the TWL semis and the TWL finals. Semis = 1 round, finals for D/J best of 3, basing (maybe) first to 20 min. So this should be doable in 1 Sunday. The TWD ranking ends on the Sunday let's say 1 hour before TWL playoffs?
    And if signups for a TWL like this would be as crazy like this TWDT, and still too many players have nothing to gun for, maybe even a lower playoffs and mid playoffs. Lower = max 6* players. Mid = 7*&8*(?) players. Hosted on same sunday. And with a schedule so most lower rank finals are played during mid rank semis. (something like: for MID: wb semis, wb finals, jav semis, jav finals, base semis, base finals. and for LOW: wb semis, jav semis, base semis, wb finals, jav finals, base finals.)

Only the high achievers miss out that one weekend, then again they'll be the stars of TWL, and are either getting ready for their TWL final or have already crawled back into their holes after getting kicked out of TWL... And maybe some lucky 7*s can win more than 1 medal..

Ofcourse for TWL no star limit on lineups.

I've always been a fan of trying to combine TWLD/J/B in one season, however TWLB could be tricky (as always been). For me it always created more buzz to have it all going on at once. However I could see this system work much better with just TWLD/TWLJ, as squad can be a lot smaller, so more 'cores' can be formed, yet maybe less players will show up (who primarily want to base). Different squads for LD+LJ/LB is very confusing (but could be done though).

I think it'd be pretty cool to see if for instance Zidane/Ease/Tiny/Steadman/Dreamwin decide to join forces to take TWLJ by storm, maybe Mythril & Racka will do the same to conquer TWLD. Or will Ease/Turban/Zidane/Mythril/Dreamwin decide to team up and go for all 3 titles, only too fall short in all 3 finals...

It's just a system I had thought of long ago (when I found myself struggling vs powerhouses in TWL, but back then there were so many rivalries and hatred, it was hardly possible to have a TWDT). I'd say if everyone shares their thoughts, we might collectively think of something new that will work in 2019 for both the most talented players, yet hopefully with enough incentive for all active bad players at once.

Just my expensive 2 cents.

Comment

I sincerely apologize for that WALL OF TEXT.

tl;dr. For TWL: combine best aspects of twl + twdt + give lower ranked *s some incentive by running a twd season during twl season (only twl squads in twd during twl season). after reg season TWL, top 4 teams in TWD go to playoffs, these are only for lower ranked players. hosted in a weekend between twl semis and finals. if lucky a low* might get to play some TWL too.

Comment

Really cool hearing that from you bram. I saw you in elim the other day and spoke in chat about how trippy it was to see you playing the game again. Used to look up to you and others who have been logging on recently like Escalate and Burnt. It's hilarious how much I can remember about subspace, even from like 17 years ago. The nostalgia runs deep. I'm glad you still find the time to show up and remind me about Diso and that whole crew you guys used to have. I played on Pallies their final season, and I remember how serious sleepy weasel and hellzno would take those diso vs pallies games. Those kinds of rivalries don't exist anymore.

I like your idea of having basic cores, and it's worth considering some kind of hybrid core/draft league. I think claus was mentioning something similar on chat a couple of weeks ago. Just worried that too many radical changes to the norm might throw off the playerbase, even though sometimes we do have to alter some things to adapt to the different times. It's tough to know what will actually work and what people will buy into.

Re: my earlier post. Preferably, a lineup cap in TWL shouldn't be necessary if the squads can self govern themselves by not stacking crazy hard with 50* lineups. Just need the top guys to commit to making it more interesting on separate teams. Parity wasn't too bad last TWL season when pandora core broke up a little and some guys went to dice. As long as there are 3-4 teams that have a good chance at winning each league, that about fits the reality of past TWL seasons. Maybe we get the sweet/thunder/envy/cobra/dice/force cores back for another run, or other cores emerge now that squads would actually matter again. People like Peru, LaSenza, Riverside, Engineers, caos, burnt, dak, morph, etc. all coming back recently can change up the landscape a lot.
        PattheBat> steadman your name is literally "a mean std"
        ogron> CM,OPN NMKAN

Comment

Awesome idea, do another TWL so thunder can stack all 3 leagues then choke in all 3 finals again lol....
          1:Ogron> i can officially say that i am quitting tinder dude fuck that i met the most amazing girl ever
          1:Zidane> congrats man
          1:Ogron> yeah she is into star wars movies and plays little bit of LoL
          1:Ogron> AND we had a 10 minute make out session in my car
          1:Rough> AND this guy wonders why he is a loser

Comment

We'd need you to come back to make that a reality, rough.
            ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
            Failure teaches success.
            . â–²
            ▲ ▲

Comment

Great to see the double bracket format giving sociopaths like Rough so much material to troll with.

Man was benched S17, got destroyed S19 and S20, culminating in a legendary 0-6 in the Finals and we didn't hear a peep out of him for over a year. It's good to see getting shit on in the Semi-Finals in a best-of-three in S21 didn't deter his spirit, and "won" S21 going 1-1 against Thunder in the playoffs.

Winning a playoff series and losing a playoff series against the same team in the right order is definitely the highlight of your javing career, no surprise you immediately retired afterwards.
              top 100 basers list

Comment

I love the idea of TWL. But these are the non-negotiables it needs to satisfy:
                • Reduce stacking
                • Allow as many teams as reasonably possible to participate
                • Create parity for more than just the usual two or three stacked teams
                • Promote activity
                - Separate league (d/j/b) rosters.
                - Very strict roster limits for veteran players. (5-6 in wb/jav, 8-9 in base)
                - Allow unlimited amount of 7* or lower in league rosters.

Teams can in theory play with 5x 10* players each week if they show, but can use 7*s as replacements.
                Squads like paladen can have 50 man roster of 7* stars.

-> Promote activity.
                -> Reduce stacking
                -> Allow unlimited amount of teams to participate

Last edited by Dreamwin; 01-29-2019, 05:51 AM.
                Season 12 champion TWLD / TWLJ
                Season 18 champion TWLJ / TWLB
                Season 19 champion TWLB (C)

Season 6 champion TWDT-J TWDT-B (C)
                Season 10 champion TWDT-J (C)
                Season 11 champion TWDT-B (C)
                Season 13 champion TWDT-B (C)
                Season 17 TRIPLE CROWN TWDT (C)

The winningest TWDT captain of all time

Comment

Originally posted by Claushouse View Post
                  Great to see the double bracket format giving sociopaths like Rough so much material to troll with.

Man was benched S17, got destroyed S19 and S20, culminating in a legendary 0-6 in the Finals and we didn't hear a peep out of him for over a year. It's good to see getting shit on in the Semi-Finals in a best-of-three in S21 didn't deter his spirit, and "won" S21 going 1-1 against Thunder in the playoffs.

Winning a playoff series and losing a playoff series against the same team in the right order is definitely the highlight of your javing career, no surprise you immediately retired afterwards.
                  Please get some help, you're one step away from living in an asylum you psychotic nerd. Also, get smashed in lb finals lol...
                  1:Ogron> i can officially say that i am quitting tinder dude fuck that i met the most amazing girl ever
                  1:Zidane> congrats man
                  1:Ogron> yeah she is into star wars movies and plays little bit of LoL
                  1:Ogron> AND we had a 10 minute make out session in my car
                  1:Rough> AND this guy wonders why he is a loser

Comment

TWL 2019

Man.. this might be the best one yet there's been at least 3 dinosaur sightings in this thread already. Who's with me?

Comment

Whatever we do i'd like some choice who I play with, having to play with someone who I absolutely hate like Lasenza has ruined twdt for me.
                      so no to another twdt.
                      British> my 18th tomoz $$
                      Sol ^> 18 and scouse, so that two kids you have by now, brit? :)

i.d.> I just farted and shit myself alittle bit

Comment

If we do another TWL, the most elegant way to satisfy all the wants in this thread would be to just cap rosters strictly... 12-15 maybe... like Cripp said. Don't like the stars ideas, just gets messy for TWL. Don't like splintering base off as that's a huge pull for many people.

Anything that requires 1,200 words to explain is not going to happen.
                        You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

That reminds me of a discussion many years ago... imagine...

A TWD roster has 2 parts.
                          - Roster: ~15 people who are active and can participate in TWL.
                          - Bench: ~15 people are aren't so active / can't participate in TWL / can participate in TWD / but can still stay in the squad if they want to be with their friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Rab View Post
                            I think we need to try and get more squads so that TWD is viable. I think there's quite a few players like me who've given up on it due to boredom of playing the same opponent every day.
                            If that works, then TWD could lead into TWL, sure.

My main requirement is just being able to log in every evening (EU TZ) and have something to play, ideally base, but some javduel is cool too. Quite often it gets to midnight and then things start happening, but it's just too late.
                            This right here is the truth #facts I'd log on and play the fk outta some twd but I get bored vsing the same 7 players who just back arrow away from me

Comment

Roster limits should bet set for twl, but to not cripple squads who want to 3 league, have 15 single league, 18 double league team, and 21 for triple league. Or set the a single league for just 10 and work up from there.
                              its not like we need to worry about qualification anymore.
                              British> my 18th tomoz $$
                              Sol ^> 18 and scouse, so that two kids you have by now, brit? :)

i.d.> I just farted and shit myself alittle bit

Comment

In regards to roster caps for twl, I think it needs to be as objective as possible. As mentioned multiple times, people dont want overly stacked teams but on the other hand what attacks said, you cant cripple the team by not having enough players.

Objectively, you have to look at the % show rate for current league. Our twdt team had 16/32 show which is 50%. This is probably on the high side compared to others. When I hosted a 4v4 league, we had about a 33% show rate so roster cap was 12. A realistic cap for 5v5 is between 12-15.
                                In game alias: mvp

twdt-b 2017 finalist
                                twlb 2020 and 2023 champ cheerleader
                                twdt-b 2020 and 2021 champ

Comment

Working...
                                X