Flag jupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flag jupe

Not totally TWDT-related, but BIET and I were discussing flag jupes and might be on to a solution. I figure this may be the best place to get reliable info at the moment.

Can anyone confirm with certainty that in all flag jupe situations, the bot is the odd man out? Meaning, the bot sees something different than all other players; on everyone's screen, the flag belongs to the other freq than the bot says it does. (This is the way I remember it.)

Or has there ever been a time in which the state is mixed, and on some screens it belongs to freq 0, whereas on others it belongs to freq 1?

If the bot is the odd man out, there's a bug in how it's handled vs how a normal client handles it (the bot is basically just a hacked client), which would mean it can be fixed. Even if there's a mixed state, though, there may be work we can do to improve claim handling, though it'd need to be done after the end of the season.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Basing should die
    TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Someone else might know more than I do, but I believe it's in a mixed state- at least for a bit. The "juper" doesnt claim the flag (dies first) but the rest of the players see the juper touch it. So it's only unclaimed on the one screen. However, if someone else on the juper freq touches the flag, it will turn yellow for the juper but not fire any type of flag touch event.

I've seen this happen in pub and baking matches, though I cannot say for sure this is always how it happens

Comment

The jupe happens when you die while claiming the flag.

It's wrong in a normal client. It will seem like you captured the flag rather than juped it. It will be yellow to your whole team and blue to everyone else.

Then a few seconds later, the time period seems to be somewhere between 10 seconds and 30 seconds, the flag will switch control to whoever had it before the jupe. Everyone sees the updated state.

In the old days of pub and pre-cram point races, people didn't really notice the jupe. I vaguely recall f2 point totals not being identical for everyone. But now there's a scoreboard it's obvious when the flag is yellow but the time is going to your opponent.

It's possible that the bot being in spec has something to do with how often it receives updates? I recall seeing client optimisation update spec clients less often than playing clients.

I think your first step should be to reproduce the jupe scenario so you can test whether any change you make actually works. I'd rather it stayed broken than have changes tested in production.

Comment

Working...
        X