Plans for next season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dabram View Post
    I think twdt is the best league for the zone.

The problem this season was that the skill level between caps was too big, and nothing was done to counter it. Afghan had to make up his own 7-7-7 rating compared to some very experienced/skilled 10-10-8 rated captains. And with a declining amount of 'great' players who sign up, it's not like any of the 28* rated captains will 'skip' over some great players to get a 21* player early on. So in the end Afghan has to choose between being below average in all leagues or 'skipping' one league. Both is not good for the draft league. Thus I can't blame Criminal for now forfeiting in base the last weekend, I applaud them for how well they did (and Demacia too).
    I have to say that I think you are barking at the wrong tree here. This year's draft specifically was extremely generous for low star caps as they were able to pick out of so many high stars who went extraordinarily late. The inexperience, especially for a player coming from another zone, was the real key issue here imo. I mean for example the obvious top 3 pick Rough went basically at the start of 3rd rnd because no other cap could draft him due to his high star cap. It is also important to see who clicks well together and avoid toxic people. Not to mention some of the weird trades that happened this season. All in all, I think it was a good effort and I'm glad Afghan stepped up to cap. Due to some unfortunate events and lack of experience was the reason he didn't make it this year. I am confident that he would do better next time.

Season 12 champion TWLD / TWLJ
    Season 18 champion TWLJ / TWLB
    Season 19 champion TWLB (C)

Season 6 champion TWDT-J TWDT-B (C)
    Season 10 champion TWDT-J (C)
    Season 11 champion TWDT-B (C)
    Season 13 champion TWDT-B (C)
    Season 17 TRIPLE CROWN TWDT (C)

The winningest TWDT captain of all time

Comment

bram's thing is reasonable, but think of someone like ease or zid always getting the shittest cap, feelsbadman.

it kinda forces the top players to cap in response, passing the problem on to the next person, forcing them to cap, etc..

until all the best players are capping and this system isn't needed.

so then we take away the system

and then the caps all quit

hmm

Comment

I don't think cap star rating had anything to do with it personally. Rough should have been a top pick, as mentioned by dreamwin. Since a few caps couldn't take him (since duo 10* is not viable at all) he slipped way later than he should have and this was a big mistake imo.

Nipples season didn't work out simply because he picked iron survivor round 2 who showed half the weeks at best and he made some very garbage trades, essentially trading away a good base line for more javs and wbs he didn't need if iron actually showed on a regular basis.

Afghans team was very close to being really good, i dont think he was aggressive enough in trades because he definitely had too many javs and was missing 1 or 2 basers.

It's hard to make playoffs, sometimes you just get unlucky and your teams show rate decides the entire season. We were trying to get enough captains until the very last minute of the draft, there isn't a surplus of volunteers to choose from. I think experience helps a lot and those red names would feel a lot more comfortable if they capped again, but none of this is an exact science.

Comment

I'll just say one thing: Dreamwin is one of the most successful TWDT captains and the guy NEVER trades. There's a lesson in that. Constantly shuffling the deck (as opposed to building chemistry within your team) is risky.

It's pretty fine margins between all the teams, and ultimately there has to be losers in any league. I've had really, really tough games against both Demacia and Criminal this season. They've been competitive. I personally would never captain if I was going to be penalised in someway for my rating.

Ultimately, the TWDT structure works. And the star cap system is much better than the mandatory 6* system, because the majority of players fall within the 7* and 8* category and ought to be represented accordingly. Perhaps the star limit in base could be reduced to 66 or 65, but that's about it for structural changes imo.

With that all said, I'd love to see a spider league in the next TWDT, taking the place of one of the base games. The spider is actually TW's best dueling ship - and there seems to be a lot of support since I've mentioned it. I think it would work nicely within the TWDT-D map, so would require minimal development. Building a viable and active base line is the hardest part of being a captain, so it would minimise that risk for less experienced captains, too. Most importantly, though, it would bring intrigue and excitement to the draft, and potentially pave the way for an off season spider division.
          You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

The easiest/simplest fix (in theory) for TWDT would be to get more accurate player ratings, especially when it gets down to the 6*/7*s as this is often where teams either win or lose. There are some 6*s who are more like 5*s and 6*s who are more like 7*s, however when it gets to 8-10* it's not as big of an issue as every dog has its day and 8*s mvp as much as 10*s (especially more so in TWDT than TWL). It's clearing up the 6-7*s that's really key for TWDT to improve.

For example, Beast and Hellrazor are both 6* wbs on paper, but personally Beast is considerably better than Hellrazor in wb. Again, perfecting the lower star ratings is the simplest fix in theory, but all ratings are subjective so it's hard to see how things can really be refined beyond where they stand at the moment, outside of having more eyes combing through the player list before the season starts.
            TWL-J Season 11 Champion
            TWL-J Season 21 Champion
            TWL-B Season 21 Champion
            TWL-B Season 22 Finalist
            TWDT-D 2017 Champion
            TWDT-J 2017 Champion

Comment

beast is currently 21-34 in wb btw and went 1-10 in dtd finals last season his 6 star rating is very appropriate
              Jessup> saiyan and i had steamy cyber sex once

Streak Breaker Grizzly Beam

Don't Poke the Bear.

Comment

maybe, but he's not equal to hellrazor, and he's not worse than me (7* supposedly).

Comment

Originally posted by Ricko View Post
                  For example, Beast and Hellrazor are both 6* wbs on paper, but personally Beast is considerably better than Hellrazor in wb. Again, perfecting the lower star ratings is the simplest fix in theory, but all ratings are subjective so it's hard to see how things can really be refined beyond where they stand at the moment, outside of having more eyes combing through the player list before the season starts.
                  this is why the draft exists...for teams to recognize who's the best in their rating rank and to take them off the table before other teams can get them. sure a few ranks can be fine-tuned, but the overall rating system should not change for a predominant number of the players still playing

Comment

There are few players, like myself, our dear Ixt, 7roll... and few others, that are unplayable right now. We are 5*, and the abolition of 5* was the best thing to do, so now the people concerned can hardly get play time. All we have to do is improve, nothing more to say.

Comment

ro ro ro your boat.......
                      1:waven> u challenge
                      1:waven> if i challenge it looks too scary

Originally posted by MHz
                      Hope you contract ebola from your, no doubt cheap, Easter Egg, you fucking shit-jav, pug-faced cunt.

Comment

i don't really agree with multiple assertions that experience as twdt cap leads to better results.

there is no experience required in picking people, the only thing you need is general twdt experience, which all those players had.

half the caps on that list won on their first try. i can't think of anything i know now that i didn't my first time capping in 2013. you either get it or you don't.

i agree with zid/dreamwin's assertion that the star cap has made is easier for less talented players to excel at capping, because right off the bat all the caps who are 10* in jav/wb can't pick a 10* in those leagues.

in the past, zid/dream/commodo would draft a 10* jav Round 1, and i'd be there with the 8th pick and TWDT-J is already over for my team, I can't compete. last season was the first time I could win jav as a cap (not from lack of trying, Ease has knocked my team out of DT-J like 4x in semis.)

so i think lower star caps have a bigger advantage now than before, and they're still doing poorly. it's great that they stepped up to cap and i'm sure they did their best which is appreciated, but literally the only time low-stars have made the playoffs was 2012, where 4 of the 8 teams had newbies capping, and they finished 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th.

there seems to be a strong correlation between being a high star and being able to pick a championship team. it's just better for the league if stronger players cap. 2 teams have been out for weeks. that's still a possibility with 8 strong caps, but at least there's a higher probability of all 8 teams still being in it Weeks 6 and 7. There was a 2016 season where every team was in the playoff hunt in the final week of the regular season and it was incredibly competitive to the last game.

obviously, as some have said, we need more vets to step up and cap. if that's not possible then we should be grateful those lower star players are volunteering and doing their best, but we should absolutely be doing everything possible to get those veterans to cap.
                        top 100 basers list

Comment

MHz Dreamwin has been one of the most successful twdt captains because hes a cheater that has several friends who will only show if they are on his team and drafts them round 13 when they should be going much earlier
                          Jessup> saiyan and i had steamy cyber sex once

Streak Breaker Grizzly Beam

Don't Poke the Bear.

Comment

Originally posted by beam View Post
                            MHz Dreamwin has been one of the most successful twdt captains because hes a cheater that has several friends who will only show if they are on his team and drafts them round 13 when they should be going much earlier
                            LOL what? Yes I happen to know a lot of fins and I believe I have a good relationship with majority of players. I dont really see one player in the championship lineups who would only show for me, went later than should and had an impact in the championship run.

The one season I missed playoffs as a cap I picked awfully and my top picks didn't show. I aqcuired Zizu and spikey and got them to show out of nowhere but it was not enough to make top 6 in regular season. Once upon a time, I also picked ro in 2nd rnd and he was last seen 10 days ago for entire season
                            Season 12 champion TWLD / TWLJ
                            Season 18 champion TWLJ / TWLB
                            Season 19 champion TWLB (C)

Season 6 champion TWDT-J TWDT-B (C)
                            Season 10 champion TWDT-J (C)
                            Season 11 champion TWDT-B (C)
                            Season 13 champion TWDT-B (C)
                            Season 17 TRIPLE CROWN TWDT (C)

The winningest TWDT captain of all time

Comment

Originally posted by beam View Post
                              That's a pretty neat semantic trick you've played there- making the natural inclination for friends and compatriots to play for each other as some kind of deception. Bit of a stretch to call that cheating?
                              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Originally posted by MHz View Post

That's a pretty neat semantic trick you've played there- making the natural inclination for friends and compatriots to play for each other as some kind of deception. Bit of a stretch to call that cheating?
                                Cheating...no.. .unfair....yes. I think there are a handful of these players.
                                1:waven> u challenge
                                1:waven> if i challenge it looks too scary

Originally posted by MHz
                                Hope you contract ebola from your, no doubt cheap, Easter Egg, you fucking shit-jav, pug-faced cunt.

Comment

Working...
                                X