Poseidon’s 2 Sacagawea’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poseidon’s 2 Sacagawea’s

the whole system for base needs to be overhauled, for jav and wb it seem okay. but thats just the prob, ur taking a system which is just peachy for 5v5 single ship leagues and applying it to a league w much diff dynamic. nowon is spot on abt oversaturation of spids, cud possibly be mitigated some by having base be a 4* or 5*-10* (in lieu of .5 ratings). base is a more complex game and thus the gradient of skill differential between players has more complexity. or something. WB so fkn simple u cud prob just rate from 10-6* by going straight down the statline from each prev szn wherev theres ample data, esp if u ave each players stat for any one game against the rest of the team average and add bonus for going out last, less bonus for second to last, etc. but i digress.

yall have been running this league for years and years and ive played abt 6 games total in it, so im not gonna pretend like i know better (oh wait), but its obvious that there is definite need for tweaking and room for improvement.

but just off top of my head could mayb add sum variety in lineups and encourage ppl to try diff ships by adding “.5” to rating for playing more than 2or3 game in a row as a ship which goes away if player sits game or plays diff ship, and never more than .5 cumulative. only for reg szn, not playoffs.

ya right as if that would ever be implemented, even if it were good idea, which im not yet convinced it neccessarily is. mayb jus rate players by ship, giving all 9 or 10* players a default 7* in any ship they dont usually play, or something such, and go thru and rate by ship wherever there is adequate data. the point being, it doesnt need to be needlessly complex and convoluted

lets use ogron or trishr for xample. each ive seen sharkinf on occasion, and cud possibly pass as 8* shark. it ought be made that they cud b sharkers and not cost 10*. or at the vry fkn least when a player signs up they cud request a diff rating for a ship they dont usually play, that way they cud mayb get to play it some but if their team needs them in their reg ship they have normal *rating for it. THE LEAGUE NEEDS MORE SHARKRs N TERRS, WE SHUD B TRYING TO ENCOURAGE THIS.

ppl mite say to this: well that hampers ptime for other players on roster in a league where u have 500 ppl on each team. to this i would say: ADD MORE TEAMS. ya, if u have 10 or 12 teams ull have more teams w inexperienced captains who dont hav much of a fkn clue, and it sux if u get drafted to these teams, but 2 fkn bad. ull have to share the pain w the unfortunate souls drafted to a team Tiny or a team Zapata. its a draft league. at least u get to play somewhat competitive matches once a week. this would also give more sense of validity to reg szn games and xcitement to playoff contention, ie. more conteders. and just to add, i feel the majoriry of the 5 basing games ive played in this league there were only a selection of 9-10 players online to choose from, implying adding dynamic ratings wud still b fine even w 8 teams.

these ratings changes are rly jus minor things that cud b easily implemented w/o upsetting the ecosystem whilst improving league dynamic and player experience. la la la

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

now to the ratings themselves. gen pretty bad for base, even by a standard where one expects them to be p bad. im not gonna rail too much against em tho cause every1 is entitled to their misguided opinions and im sure u hav about 80 ppl every szn bitching n moaning and casting their 2 pesoes into the fray, and by what metric or standard can one convince the masses that certain peoples opinion is far more valuable than others in a game as complex as this? 95% of the players cant seem to grasp or conceive of the game as a battle over the atrition of space. u haf 9.9/10 spids that prioritize their record over paying attention to sharks or creating space, absolutely oblivious to the fact that one often creates more space and thus more impact by NOT killing and instead making sharks rep or distracting nme spids. im of c oversimplifying it, but regardless its really a shitshow out there, so much room for improvement all across the board

of course, i have a personal axe to grind in the above statements when i haf a steadman or a banks or whoev the fuk giving me shit every game as if i couldnt play like a lobster and go 130-50 anytime i wantd. again, i digress.

back to ratings: all ill say is one thing. giving kassius a 6* is a fkn joke. the man mvpd and had 5 TEKs the last bd i saw him play. he was telling me how he is allstar dsb captain and invented the dsb equivalent of the cram and wud travel to iceland to play in DSB lan tourny and etc. obviously not a fuking 6* for anyone who has paid the least bit of attention, and considering she is on my squad and ive played 3000 bd in the past months, u shud fkn listen when i rate her 7.5. who is running this shitshow? this alone destroys all credibility for the mysterious ratings board of directors, and is all the criticism that needs to be leveled to make the point. kudos to whoev pickt her up in draft, u haf been given huge unfair advantage.

as 3 is obv the most divine of numbers, u shud take a nod from the romans and have all ratings be done via triune who convenes and discusses and makes the ratings together as one, not jus 8 random anonymous ppl submitting their star sheet and then tallying the average. r u fkn kidding me?

my suggestion for the trinity: Nowon, Ogron, and some third person of their choosing. we would have such better ratings if this were the case.

and jus as another personal aside, giving me 8* again in WB when ive prob literally averaged 6-10 and definitetly average 760 reso is v frustrating. jus to plant the seed for next szns consideration.

am sry in advance, today is the first time ive had caffeine in a month <3

The Mind of the Father
    Riding on the subtle guiders
    Which glitter with the inflexible tracings
    Of relentless Fire

I get a whole paragraph ​​​​​​:O

Was Holland, and it was about 18 years ago when I didn't need glasses to drive my car! Flagbell for DSBL was just a modified victory sound file, and after the season we started using it, everyone had a version.

I think anyone who has played vs me in pretty much any TWD of any type will see I'm no TW all-star :-) But thanks for the vote of confidence, I just learnt a line last week to shoot into cram so that must give me an extra 1.5 stars now I guess.

Comment

Yeh this league is so flawed.. find myself not caring to play anymore tbh. The only "new" players that get to play are the 6* players that shouldn't even be 6*. As far as kassius I think he deserved the 6 tbh, sat on the bench the last twdt and is finally just learning everything but outside of him this is definitely the case. There are waaaaay too many 7 stars! it's insane! your ideas are legit poseidon but unfortunately they probably won't be implemented because the vets are just too use to this way of playing and why should they care? they get to play! and are too worried about their precious twdt titles that will mean nothing soon when the zone dies.

You guys really need to prioritize the "bad" players. God I know that sounds horrible but all you're doing right now is driving soooo many players away. Everybody is so toxic man.. and that's fine, what game isn't, right? but if you want to continue on with TW for many many years to come you have to change SOMETHING. Anything.. I remember tw staff or any zones' staff in general use to be courteous some what and help out fellow players, now staffers like Henry Saari bash players after bds.. I couldn't believe it.. here is an upper staffer bashing me. Toxic players like Rough and Renzi bashing instead of helping me or others get better.

My opinion on what to change is some what what Poseidon said : Encourage and make an incentive for players to try different ships, there are just way too many spiders.. it's crazy. I could care less about benching, but it does suck that I take time away from my family to spend my sundays on a game sitting on a bench. Even last league when I played every single base twdt game, I felt horrible for all the players who show every single Sunday for nothing. Just the 2 cents from a guy who has played this game for over 15 years, and has seen countless zones go down for doing similar things.

Comment

I agree there should be ship-specific ratings in base.
        I don't think anything needs doing about camping, if they want to camp while I hold the flag they'll just lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Unlimited View Post
          Yeh this league is so flawed.. find myself not caring to play anymore tbh. The only "new" players that get to play are the 6* players that shouldn't even be 6*. As far as kassius I think he deserved the 6 tbh, sat on the bench the last twdt and is finally just learning everything but outside of him this is definitely the case. There are waaaaay too many 7 stars! it's insane! your ideas are legit poseidon but unfortunately they probably won't be implemented because the vets are just too use to this way of playing and why should they care? they get to play! and are too worried about their precious twdt titles that will mean nothing soon when the zone dies.

You guys really need to prioritize the "bad" players. God I know that sounds horrible but all you're doing right now is driving soooo many players away. Everybody is so toxic man.. and that's fine, what game isn't, right? but if you want to continue on with TW for many many years to come you have to change SOMETHING. Anything.. I remember tw staff or any zones' staff in general use to be courteous some what and help out fellow players, now staffers like Henry Saari bash players after bds.. I couldn't believe it.. here is an upper staffer bashing me. Toxic players like Rough and Renzi bashing instead of helping me or others get better.

My opinion on what to change is some what what Poseidon said : Encourage and make an incentive for players to try different ships, there are just way too many spiders.. it's crazy. I could care less about benching, but it does suck that I take time away from my family to spend my sundays on a game sitting on a bench. Even last league when I played every single base twdt game, I felt horrible for all the players who show every single Sunday for nothing. Just the 2 cents from a guy who has played this game for over 15 years, and has seen countless zones go down for doing similar things.

well thx u for the vote of confidence, tho i have to say ur general sentiment is far too idealistic. and the more u can perceive “bashing” as a grindstone by which u yearn to improve, the more empowered u become. exalt it; value it as a toxic antimony awaiting ur sublimation; view it as equal or greater a boon than any other type of help u can receive, the prima materia of motivation. but for gods sakes dont bitch and wallow over ppl providing u w negative fodder! its the blessing of blessings and much preferred to coddling, if i may say so myself. a deep life lesson there perhaps for those w ears 2 hear. oh my, look at me going off the rails! well, its my damn topic anyhow, i can be allowed to play sage for a bit

rereading my original post, perhaps my dynamic ratings suggestions are a bit superflous, but i firmly stand by dissolving the shadow ratings committe guilty of perpetuating unbalanced basing lines in the folly of their combined ignorance and methodology. TRINITY UNITE! nowon come forward, we need a hero!

and really... when u hav 50 players on each team with more free agents arriving daily... why arent there more teams? there would surely be greater activity if players understood they have a better chance of getting to play any given week, no? what is it in the 10+ years of draft league that u experienced ones are apprehending that im apparently unable yet to grasp?

The Mind of the Father
          Of relentless Fire

Comment

Ya for sure bud, I agree.. let it fuel you when negative people go at you!

Comment

If you are getting benched as a 6 or 7, 100% of the time its because you arent putting in the effort to improve. I completely disagree with the premise that we are driving away players with the twdt system. You guys keep talking about how bad the ratings are, but the real issue is when a player is made a 6 or 7 and actually plays the game actively and practices, they end up performing above expectation. If you want more play time, all you have to do is play the game more. If you want to just show up on sundays and get added as a low star slot, then I dont believe you quitting is a big loss.
              Jessup> saiyan and i had steamy cyber sex once

Streak Breaker Grizzly Beam

Don't Poke the Bear.

Comment

Agree with Beam here.

Pos you were making some interesting points but it's a shame this thread has descended into bad players whining about their ratings AGAIN. Actually ratings are pretty accurate imo, and people are just pissed that their form fluctuates and they're not as good as they were 6 months ago.

If I were to draw a Venn diagram with "People who whine about their rating" and "People who go 4-10 every round" it would just be one big circle.

This is a competitive league and nobody can have any expectation to play. But turn up, prac and be positive and you'll invariably get a chance.
                You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

itt beam embarks upon the fascinating assumption that there are more than 45 / 64 spots available in any given week in a league w 175 players

to be fair, i understand that ur directing ur remarks at unlimited and i agree w the gist of what ur saying, but making a comment such as urs within the context of this thread esp while deploying phrases such as “the real issue” detracts from the original appeals of said thread; namely that there are real issues w the way ratings are being done and that a point was made about expanding the number of teams

The Mind of the Father
                  Of relentless Fire

Comment

Originally posted by beam View Post
                    If you are getting benched as a 6 or 7, 100% of the time its because you arent putting in the effort to improve. I completely disagree with the premise that we are driving away players with the twdt system. You guys keep talking about how bad the ratings are, but the real issue is when a player is made a 6 or 7 and actually plays the game actively and practices, they end up performing above expectation. If you want more play time, all you have to do is play the game more. If you want to just show up on sundays and get added as a low star slot, then I dont believe you quitting is a big loss.
                    Lol, not sure about that. How many times have we dded recently? I think my twd k:d is better than probably 99% of the 7 stars. I was rated in the top 3 in last TWL for people that are currently rated 7 stars (with my team, Spastic, being terrible). I still can't get added in a twdtd. I'm bored of playing base. Doesn't make me want to log on just to play twdtb

Changing ratings / forcing more low stars to play has always been a terrible idea and not the problem. I still think I provided the best solution previously (copied below). The only way to let more people play is to have more teams. To avoid forfeits you need to allow borrows obviously.

Posted towards end of last DT:
                    "What about having more teams, so that more people can play? For DTJ/DTD last couple DT's our team has always had 3-5+ people sitting each week. Allow borrowing to some reasonable extent, but nerf it so that it's not a big advantage / exploitable. Make wins with borrows worth 1 point, and wins with normal roster 2 points. 6-7 star borrows. Shortfalls: Finding enough "pro" captains seems hard and not sure base can handle additional teams. Also is any consideration being made to move the times earlier? Flame away."

Posiedon is a weird guy and all the other random shit he posted I pretty much ignored

Comment

Not sure if this was a drug infused rant or what but I skimmed through some of it...

Few things I saw, the ratings were done by multiple people, not some shadow committee. Low star players are low star players because they don't play this game and dont practice. There are no genuine new players picking up continuum in 2020. Id rather active players playing dt personally because they actually keep this game going besides 1 hr on a Sunday. There arent more teams because there are never that many captain volunteers and you need to take into no shows, 10 teams might have been possible this season by the looks of it though. Steadman is also clueless about base lol, he's a good guy though.

Comment

lol, I've been a big nerd last few TWDT and I can tell you jurassic have a chance every seasons, in both dueling league, and always end with very bad recs. I even told myself recently that you're maybe a 6* wb/jav.

Ratings are great, whiners whine obviously. Beam is on point, I'm expert benchwarmer and I'm the only responsible.

Maybe we'll be able to turn it into 10 teams in the future tho. But imo we must avoid borrows the maximum.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaldinho View Post
                          lol, I've been a big nerd last few TWDT and I can tell you jurassic have a chance every seasons, in both dueling league, and always end with very bad recs. I even told myself recently that you're maybe a 6* wb/jav.

Ratings are great, whiners whine obviously. Beam is on point, I'm expert benchwarmer and I'm the only responsible.

Maybe we'll be able to turn it into 10 teams in the future tho. But imo we must avoid borrows the maximum.
                          ? lol, please check your stats bud. I did fairly well in TWL. I literally had a better K:d than my 10 star captain Dreamwin over summer in dtj. Lol. Had a decently bad season winter dtj. Also had 3 of our starters from that team get downgraded a star.

In dtd, I was 56-67 over summer (got some starts). 26-35 last DT (played 1 full game, mostly subbed in to losing contests).

Keep being a dumb noobie who doesn't actually play this game. Poor man's Ixt, lmao
                          Last edited by Jurassic; 02-19-2020, 03:48 PM. Reason: quote messed up

Comment

it most certainly was a drug infused rant, as mentioned: Caffeine

im glad there seems to be a gen agreeance that 10 teams woulda been the way to go. people would have stepped up to captain push comes to shove, methinks. there is also fortunately a feeling of upward momentum and increase in activity in the zone compared to last draft leagues it feels.

ill quote myself and then expound as u seemed to have missed the point in ur skimming, zid:

[kassius] obviously not a fuking 6* for anyone who has paid the least bit of attention, and considering she is on my squad and ive played 3000 bd in the past months, u shud fkn listen when i rate her 7.5. who is running this shitshow? this alone destroys all credibility for the mysterious ratings board of directors, and is all the criticism that needs to be leveled to make the point. kudos to whoev pickt her up in draft, u haf been given huge unfair advantage.

as 3 is obv the most divine of numbers, u shud take a nod from the romans and have all ratings be done via triune who convenes and discusses and makes the ratings together as one, not jus 8 random anonymous ppl submitting their star sheet and then tallying the average. r u fkn kidding me?

my suggestion for the trinity: Nowon, Ogron, and some third person of their choosing. we would have such better ratings if this were the case
                            it is indeed a shadow committe because the identities of its members have been kept in the shadows, and despite turbans sensible requests to make public their names.

but thats not the main issue. ill spell it out in technical detail: having the ratings be the result of a dynamic discussion between people chosen as trusted assesors of player-impact rating who are then able to bounce their observations off of each other and come to a unified consensus is far surperior to the current system. this should be obvious, and i dont believe i need to extricate the point any further.

Three is an ideal number for the committee as, among other and more esoteric considerations of triangulation, 3 allows for a superior and accessible flow of communication between the groups members. threes company, fours a crowd. this also should be obvious, and i dont feel i need to extricate the point any further. tho id be happy to on either count if neccessary

the only point of continuing consideration here should be: why nowon and ogron as 2/3 members? and to that i could merrily expound in detail if need be, but we’ll wait to cross that bridge if we ever decide to head to the promised land across the river

The Mind of the Father
                            Of relentless Fire

Comment

lol so you play and cry that you don't play, that's cool

Comment

Working...
                              X