TWDT Star Caps: Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Claushouse View Post
    the curve between 10s, 9s, 8s, and 7s is fairly linear. the only non-linear jump is between 6s and the field, where they can be so atrocious and outclassed you can sometimes say there is an extremely non-linear difference between a 6 and a 7. you're also not FORCED to use a 6, and most lines eschew it.
    And therein lies a very big problem. If playing a 6 star generally isn't viable, that's a clear indicator that linear ratings are broken.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

6s are where people get thrown if they are brand new or have 0 experience in the ship and only used to punish teams for playing a 10 they arent meant to be viable options
      Jessup> saiyan and i had steamy cyber sex once

Streak Breaker Grizzly Beam

Don't Poke the Bear.

Comment

If it were better balanced, though, it wouldn't be a matter of punishing playing a 10. 10s could get more playtime as well. It's not something for this season by any means (and I understand it derails discussion somewhat, so I'll leave it be for now) but it's certainly something we should continue to mull over for the future.
        "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
        -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Originally posted by qan View Post
          And therein lies a very big problem. If playing a 6 star generally isn't viable, that's a clear indicator that linear ratings are broken.
          it's not a bug, it's a feature.

it protects TWDT from unknown quantities.

Kassius and Newbiemon are both given 6*s, even though their likely range is between 1*-7* value as a precaution.

It turns out newbiemon is unplayable and Kassius is a 7*. he's great value for Terrorist and makes it harder on other teams, but it's perfectly playable.

Maybe you can chart out the true values of every player's contributions and find out their real star value after the fact, but given that ratings are doled out before the games start, what good is that? So you're going to discover that last season Racka was worth 12.4* and assign him 12.4* this season? Then he regresses to the mean and he's not able to play the season because he's playing like a 9.2.

The whole point of star ratings is that they need to be forward looking.
          top 100 basers list

Comment

ALLS I KNOW IS IM A 7* WB WITH 1/2 THE RES, 50% LESS TIME TO REACT TO BASICALYL EVERYTHING, AND THE STATS TO PROVE IT

The Mind of the Father
            Riding on the subtle guiders
            Which glitter with the inflexible tracings
            Of relentless Fire

Comment

and u make 0 mistakes

Comment

rab at a certain point ull have to stop chirping vs me - the sooner you do, the less embarrassing it ultimately is for you. we could insert a couple of different names there at the start but ill leave it at that

The Mind of the Father
                Riding on the subtle guiders
                Which glitter with the inflexible tracings
                Of relentless Fire

Comment

Working...
                X