TWDT S21 CAPTAINS PREVIEW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWDT S21 CAPTAINS PREVIEW

This looks to be one of the strongest captains lineups in TWDT history, with a plethora of veteran players stepping up to lead their team to glory. While the final list isn't completed, there's no reason not to go over these candidates and get hyped for the upcoming season.

beam is doing a great job so far setting up the league, and most people seem to be over their initial skepticism of the zone's most legendary troll taking the reigns of one of the two main leagues. Insiders, however, already knew he would be a fantastic showrunner, as he's an elite TWLD player who has played in multiple TWDT-J and TWDT-B finals and knows all three leagues fairly well, is serious when he needs to be, and is thorough and intelligent. The amazing run of incredible TWDT ops continues. Expect a great season.

Wirah's work on the website and bots and Qan's tireless efforts to improve the zone are also paying dividends, and Wirah's also paying out actual cash. Thank all these people when you see them, along with the helpful staff.

I've graded each captain on a Hype Level based on how hyped you should be if said player drafts you.

Saiyan

One of the most meteoric rises in Trench Wars history, Saiyan has firmly established himself as an elite 3-league player in his first year in this zone.

After a strong season on Treyway in 2019, he followed it up on Terrorist by winning the TWDT-J finals and narrowly losing the TWDT-B finals, showcasing his ability. He then won the Basing Cup 2020 finals in a tournament stuffed with nothing but TWLB contender-level lines.

He solidified his bonafides by narrowly losing to the eventual TWLD champions in the Semi-Finals, coming within inches of winning the TWLJ finals, and clinching the TWLB championship on Gun.

He's ready to take the next step and cap his own team. While he's not a Top 3 player in any league, he's a Top 10 player in every league, which is extremely valuable in drafting a team and understanding who is good.

Hype Level: A

Dreamwin

Terrorist has been a staple of TWDT for a decade, with 9 championships and 17 finals appearances. If you want to win TWDT-J or TWDT-B, you probably have to go through this behemoth, as Dreamwin has captained 8 teams to the TWDT-B Finals and 6 to the TWDT-J finals.

One of the greatest captains in the history of the league, Dreamwin has parlayed his TWLJ and TWLB championship pedigree into a powerhouse drafting machine, combining his 2.5 league skill with a talent for selecting the best players and coaching them to victory.

With a championship-or-bust mentality and a ferocious desire to win at all costs, expect more great things from Terrorist.

Hype Level: A+

Ease

The GOAT returns to captaining TWDT after double crowning and winning TWLD and TWLJ.

Ease forgot to read the fine print of the newly minted Star Cap system last year when drafting, but I expect him to return to his usually dominant ways now that he's aware he can't draft a 10* warbird when he's a 10*, as he's captained his teams to multiple #1 finishes in the regular season, reaching 6 finals and winning a pair of TWDT-J titles.

With 20 TWL and 10 TWDT championships across 51 finals, it's hard to feel anything but confidence if selected to Thunder when entering the season.

Stayon

6x TWLB champion and Dice hall of famer Stayon takes up the captaincy for the first time since 2015, when he led Patouf to the TWDT-B title.

Stayon is the Pippen to Dreamwin's Jordan when it comes to captaining TWDT, as they are very similar. Elite TWLB spiders who have won TWLJ and TWDT-J and are 2.5 league threats who can do well in TWDT-D, and have high IQs and draft well, with a focus on jav and base.

They know how to manage egos and get the best out of their teams, and their horrendous lag continues to be an asset (and bane on my existence.)

Another star captain has thrown his hat in the ring, and I expect great things.

Cape

The Dice legend and winner of countless TWLJ and TWLB titles, he is also a 2.5 league threat. The talent level and intelligence is absolutely beyond question.

The effort and commitment level, however, is not. Cape has thrown as many TWL seasons as he's won, and literally thrown almost every TWDT season he's ever played. He is notorious for being a TWDT hater and remains one of the few holdouts on treating the league seriously.

I can only assume, however, that if he is throwing his hat into the ring he is committed to winning and will bring his A-game. If that's the case, watch the fuck out.

When Cape is at his best he is a Top 10 all-time three league player who is dangerous in every ship, and has won the TWL finals in spider, terr, jav, and warbird.

I believe that only a serious and active Cape would take on the responsibility of captaining, therefore am excited at this prospect. Newer players who have never seen the man at his best are in for a treat.

Hype Level: B+

Pressure

The 2x TWLB champion and 2x TWDT-B finalist terr is a veteran TWDT captain who has held the mantle several times, captaining teams to TWDT-D and TWDT-J titles. He's also been intimately involved in constructing three league TWL championship teams, and has tons of experience evaluating talent across every league.

I don't consider 1-leaguers at a disadvantage in the Star Cap system. I capped Gryffindor to an all-time record 34-8 record last year as a 2-leaguer, and I could have sat the entire season in WB for Rasaq and finished with the exact same record (I sat half our TWDT-D games and we went 7-0 in them), meaning you can easily finish #1 overall while being a 1-leaguer.

Having capped against Power, Terrorist, Thunder, and dun vs me (sometimes all in the same season) in the past I thought the task was much more onerous, but the Star Cap really helps level the playing field.

This bodes well for Pressure, and I expect him to draft strongly and put together a very strong team as he is talented, smart, and takes capping seriously.

He's hungry to win a TWDT-B title, and I expect his team to be a juggernaut in base. The star cap system should also allow him to put forth contenders in other leagues as well.

Hype Level: A-

Violence

Violence capped Marksmin and Rapid in TWL the past two seasons, and seems to be well-liked by many of his underlings on Rapid based on testimonials from several players who I spoke with. He runs teams and organizes the hockey leagues in subspace, and therefore has a long track record of organizing and running teams, which is a positive signal for capping TWDT.

He is a solid shark, and his experience in leading teams in warbird and javelin should give him the required knowledge to draft competently.

As mentioned in the previous profile, the Star Cap system has leveled the captaining playing field, making Violence a perfectly viable candidate. The favorable star ratings allow him to select elite players that other captains do not have access to. For example, Zidane/Ease/Turban are automatically locked out of selecting 10* javs since they're 10*s.

I would not consider his language style, skill in this game, or immature desire to name his team "suk dik" as positives, but if being objective they don't present any particular negatives in terms of likelihood of success as a TWDT captain (although personally I find it extremely off-putting.)

Hype Level: C

Zidane

Power has won 5 TWDT-D, 4 TWDT-J, and 2 TWDT-B titles, and is a legendary squad that finds itself in the elite company of teams such as Ruby, top5squad, dun vs me, and Terrorist.

Zidane and Dreamwin pursue their mythical quest for supremacy over each other, as the bitter rivalry continues unabated.

The 2.5 leaguer has won 5 TWLJ titles and 4 TWLBs. Just like Dreamwin and Stayon, he has parlayed his talents into being a solid TWDT-D warbird, and while the Star Cap era the past 5 seasons has nerfed his ability to win on talent alone, it just simply hasn't mattered (for him, or Dreamwin) as they continue to win even in a hyper-parity era. Shrewd drafting and huge playoff performances in jav and shark have kept the dynasty going (It is worth noting both Power and Terrorist have missed the playoffs recently, so nothing is ever guaranteed.)

Fresh off TWLB and TWLJ championships in 2019 and 2020 respectively, Zidane remains at the height of his power and will no doubt be a force to be reckoned with.

Morph

A talented javelin, solid shark, and decent warbird, Morph has capped Treyway the past two seasons. He reached multiple semis in 2019 and won TWDT-D in 2020.

Reports indicate that he is very nice and chill, but some questionable trades and random disappearances mid-TWDT have definitely made being on Treyway a mixed bag.

One the one hand, he built a strong multi-league squad last season, one that was a legitimate contender for the TWDT-B and TWDT-D titles, on the other it required an insane push led by Racka to go 5-1 in the final week just to make the playoffs after Morph practically abandoned the team. They won TWDT-D, but Morph went 4-10 out in 2 minutes and logged out. He might still not be aware his team won the championship. Getting Racka in the 9th round and him putting in the greatest season of all-time in warbird and dragging your team into the playoffs then winning Round 3 of the finals 4v5 might not be a viable long-term strategy for success.

A lot of positives and negatives jumbled into one package, but one cannot deny the success that Treyway has had in back-to-back seasons. He seems to have a knack for drafting people who find ways to win even when he vanishes from the team.

Hype Level: B-

Racka

Nobody is hotter right now in this zone than Racka, winning back-to-back TWLD titles and back-to-back TWLJ titles, along with winning TWDT-D after putting in the greatest regular season of all-time.

He capped Win or Die to the TWDT-B finals last year and has taken his teams to the TWDT-J and TWDT-D semis in the past. He captained Burn to a triple crown in TWL 2015, and continues to flex his captaining muscles on Fire.

If his star rating in jav is 9*, which I expect it to be, he is going to be one of the biggest dual threats in the league, with himself as a 10* in warbird then having the ability to select a 10* jav to play alongside, creating a monster two-league team.

That said, I'm 99% sure Dreamwin shadowcapped all the basing picks last year at the expense of warbird and jav (something I doubt he'll let happen again), and historically his basing selections and knowledge are a veritable black hole, so if you're a baser this is probably not a premiere destination.

If you're a warbird or javelin, though, expect greatness and a potential double crown.

Turban

After resisting the call to captain for 20 straight seasons, Turban has finally accepted the challenge. One of the three best javs of all-time, and a top two spider in the zone in the last 6-7 years, he has also transformed himself into a strong warbird, winning TWLD in 2019 and narrowly losing to the eventual champs in 2020.

A frequent #1 overall pick in TWDT, Turban is a superstar player who has imposed his will on this game for years, and looks to be a tremendous captain, combining elite 3-league play, a high IQ, and a near forensic knowledge of every player in every ship, trapped in an encyclopedic memory.

The Star Cap will be a bit of an impediment, as it is for Saiyan, Ease, Zidane, but I expect him to overcome it. There's definitely some interesting non-10* ratings on some of these elite superstar caps who have been 10*s in those ships many times:

Dreamwin: 9* in jav (usually 10*), won TWDT-J immediately after petitioning to get it lowered. Definitely borderline.
    Cape: 9* in terr (usually 10*), interesting seeing someone proclaiming themelves the "best terr ever" as early as last week in forums, then being okay being a 9*
    Stayon: 9* in jav (historically a 10*). I think given how long he was gone this is more than fine.
    Racka: 9* in jav probably (recently a 10*). I think this is fine.

Either way, expect a monster season from Turban and a meticulously constructed roster.

Mean Gene

Mean Gene capped Giants to the TWDT-J finals last year, and Stark to the TWDT quarter-finals in 2016. He's a good jav and spider, and has made the playoffs every year he's capped.

Stark, however, imploded by Week 3, and sources within Giants didn't paint the best picture. Mean Gene has a good eye for talent and is a decent guy, but if I had to identify two weaknesses they would be that: 1) he picks uber-talented players who he doesn't have the Pokemon Trainer badge level to handle (Steadman, Zidane, Best) and then gets emo and quits on the team instead of picking people he can handle 2) He doesn't show consistently every week.

There's a lot to like here, so perhaps it's a little harsh offering some criticisms of Cape, Violence, Mean Gene, and Morph, but ultimately they are competing against a murderer's row of superstar captains and have to judged alongside them. In most seasons you'd be ecstatic to have such competent veterans as your cap, so I definitely think they're qualified for the job.

Chalk up another veteran player who has drafted well and capped a team to the finals.

Hype Level: C+

Rough

Recently Added!

Rough knocked it out of the park in his first season capping, winning TWDT-D and TWDT-B in a double crown last year as the leader of Haze.

The 6x TWLJ champion has modestly expanded his game to be serviceable in TWDT-D and improved as an underspider, losing the TWLB finals as a starter last year, making him a well-rounded player whose multi-league experience helps him draft extremely well.

After running the tables in 2019 he's cooled off a bit in 2020, but is still one of the best players in the game and his captaining CV is excellent, so should he captain again I would surmise his team will be loaded and primed for success.

Riverside

Revised due to new information

Former TWLD champion riverside has the experience required, having been a key member of dun vs me's triple crown in 2011 and playing in all three leagues.

He has also captained Sweet multiple times in TWL, leading them to the TWLD and TWLJ finals, and given that 10 years has passed it is perhaps unfair to hold the axings of Cripple and Mega against him, although given that I've seen multiple axings on Rapid recently it is certainly hard to think much has changed, but I guess we're not in-season so nobody is being jettisoned from a team. I suppose it is also impossible to actually fire someone from a TWDT team, and if there was abuse the league op would simply choose a new captain and it wouldn't destroy the team.

River seems serious about capping TWDT, so I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. His credentials make him a qualified candidate for the role, and given his strong desire to win and extremely favorable star ratings, he could make a splash.

Compared to some of the people we've let captain the last few years, Riverside is extremely overqualified.

I simply think that the slate of captains, as it occurs once every few years, is insanely stacked. I can't go handing out As and Bs when Dreamwin, Zidane, Ease, and Turban are capping, or else what's the point of grading? There has to be some differentiation. In a normal year Riverside and Violence would be Bs at least and Morph and Cape would be As, but this isn't a normal year, so I think Cs are fair, which is what I'm giving Riverside in this revised post.

All these captains are very good and qualified, and C is still a solid grade. I just think there's a little daylight in terms of my excitement level between caps, it doesn't mean anyone below A won't win a title, or that someone in the A-tier won't flop and miss playoffs, that will almost certainly happen. It is simply my personal level of excitement, and a subjective opinion.

Hype Level: C

Originally posted by Original Blurb
    The former TWLD champion might be the least qualified person to become a TWDT captain, and hopefully doesn't make the cut. He has shown time and time again he values his own inflated ego over the success of the team, frequently power-tripping and axing players left and right, a penchant that continues well into 2020, and most-famously in TWL S17 where he axed megaman89 and Cripple off Sweet mid-season.

The credentials are there: he was briefly a prime TWDT draft target, winning the triple crown with dun vs me in 2011, and he has also capped Sweet several times in TWL. His low-star ratings are a boon, and would help him draft elite high-star players in every league.

In a weaker season, I think he would be fine as a captain, but given how many strong applicants there are, Riverside's consistent history of benching and axing people for his own perverse pleasure make him unfit to captain TWDT. He is more than willing (if not gleeful) to ruin his team's entire season just to flex on someone.

Hype Level: F

Overall, the candidates this season are fantastic, and there's plenty of reasons for players to be excited in what may turn out to be the first 10-team TWDT season. The list of captains looks amazing, and it is hard to go wrong with being selected by any of them.

Last season was incredibly hype, and this season looks even better.

Good luck to everyone this season!
    Last edited by ogron; 07-08-2020, 03:15 PM.
    top 100 basers list

Very interesting writeup ogron, thanks for doing that. I think you're being a little harsh on River but I guess you are bringing the paperwork to back it up. I agree if Cape goes all in his team will be dangerous as fuck.

I think dreamwin's antics should lower his rating down at least a +. Like having the replay a semi-finals game because of an appeal for a cheating mechanic he used multiple times that season is not a plus in my opinion. Like the guy is still a legendary cap but those javelin antics last season should at least ding him a little bit.
    Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
    Message has been sent to online moderators
    2:BLeeN> veh yes
    (Overstrand)>no
    2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
    2:BLeeN> ok then no
    :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
    (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Comment

Vio and River getting no love. Both are good and know how to cap. Good write-up, regardless.

I think we can have a 12/14 team season..easily, if we have time, we will have enough signups. And there's easily 16-20 people who could cap properly, especially when it's something rare like this.

If rosters are 15, just need 210. Not that far away from that mark, currently. The more teams we have, more competition and more people playing on the pitch instead of benching, regardless of star ratings. Extend the regular season one week or two, 8 would qualify in each league, eliminating 4 teams. Quarter-Finals, Semis, Finals, World Cup style.

People like Hulk (dun vs me), Draft (Ruby) or Jam could cap as well.
      Part-time goof, Part-time wild beast,
      Your friend,
      ​​Papi
      ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Stayon View Post
        Vio and River getting no love. Both are good and know how to cap. Good write-up, regardless.

I think we can have a 12/14 team season..easily, if we have time, we will have enough signups. And there's easily 16-20 people who could cap properly, especially when it's something rare like this.
        sounds good in theory buttttttttttttttt of the 210 people to sign up for 12/14 teams, less than half are probably at a competitive level. obviously don't want to overextend here with the amount of teams or else after a certain point it lowers the competitiveness of the league due to a higher inclusion percentage of 6*-7*. i feel like 10 teams is best. 12 could happen at 200+ signups + evaluating activity level of the player signups. 14 teams just sounds too much

3:BOMBED> got donuts
        3:BOMBED> how jealous
        3:Heaven> how american
        3:BOMBED> ??????????
        3:BOMBED> wtf u suppose to get
        3:BOMBED> they didnt have any fried goat

Comment

Am honestly butthurt that it doesn't look like beam will be selecting me 2 captain. I haf capped Sweet for multiple seasons leading to titles and late playoff appearances in all 3 ships, and wud like 2 think I had something 2 do with the tripcrown victory with hilkstir, efin on an administratif lefil.

It's shitty 2 me that someone like me who hasn't had the chance 2 cap b4 is getting turned down 4 people who have done it countless times (m sry turpin u cum 2 mind). I've proven myself as a gud player and competent person, it's shitty it's up to one person who doesn't exactly have an objective/fair perception of me (yes u beamir).

Just FYI ogron- that season I axed dice, I was a fking teenager. I was a dumbass and I regret the way I did it BUT.. that yr we went to LJ finals and lost in 3 rounds 2 thunder, and went to LB semifinals with a bunch of sweeties learning how 2 base afk. Still v dumbass.

Comment

Huge read I love those stuff. Concerning a 12 teams league I think it's true we could make it but IMO it would be better to do things step by step. If ever there was 12 teams I would hope the other two caps were Morph to defend his title and Ogron for the rivalry with Pressure but I'm convinced he's not interested.

Comment

there is not 1 playir in cintinim who wud rathir play w/ prissire ofir rifir plz allow rifir 2 b ciptin n gif him my spot if ther r no openinks ty

Comment

Thanks for the good content og
                Last edited by Pressure; 07-08-2020, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Riverside

I have captained a grand total of zero times in TWDT, but can vouch that you would be a decent captain candidate.

I am not going to participate in this season as a regular player. I don't particularly enjoy putting my fate in other captains hands, and the past five (or six) seasons in TWDT have been some of the most demoralizing experiences I have had in this game for various reasons.

Let's see how many players sign up before deciding whether we go with 10 or 12 teams.

Comment

agree we should allow viop and riverside to cap - less chance for me to land on a shit team

The Mind of the Father
                    Riding on the subtle guiders
                    Which glitter with the inflexible tracings
                    Of relentless Fire

Comment

If turba doesnt cap ill riot

Comment

Originally posted by Turban View Post
                        Riverside

I have captained a grand total of zero times in TWDT, but can vouch that you would be a decent captain candidate.
                        never realized u haven't done it before, esp since you've been an OP, m sry. There r several others who haf capd b4 tho

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
                          sounds good in theory buttttttttttttttt of the 210 people to sign up for 12/14 teams, less than half are probably at a competitive level. obviously don't want to overextend here with the amount of teams or else after a certain point it lowers the competitiveness of the league due to a higher inclusion percentage of 6*-7*. i feel like 10 teams is best. 12 could happen at 200+ signups + evaluating activity level of the player signups. 14 teams just sounds too much
                          Maybe 14 is a tad too much and I'm being just extremely positive. Besides the ones I quick mentioned, Rough, Trasher or Ogron could cap as well.

I see no reason not to do 12. We are 50 people away from 180, meaning we can have 12 teams with 15 man rosters. There's no reason for 10-15 people to sit on their freq, while watching 5/8 play.

We wanna give everyone a chance to play and aim for the prize, talent will be spread enough for teams to be balanced. The less inclusive the league is, the more stacking in numbers will occur.

More importantly, don't rush things. I played half of last's TWL, and you guys just had a TWDT prior to do that. You a had quick row of 2 events, and I'm sure something will come up on the winter.

Take a small break, let people breathe a little bit. Even with Covid still going on, it's the summer and TW had enough summer leagues in it's history, something I've never understood, absolutly senseless, except for laboratory rats. These July weeks and early August ones, will be important for the signups to build and the league to grow in numbers and preparation. For the leagues sake, starting on the middle of the summer isn't good at all.

Let me just remind you that besides going to the beach and enjoying outdoor activies, people will have a huge necessity to enjoy the summer within possible this year, after being stuck with quarantines, especially if a 2nd wave builds up on Autumm / Winter which is a likely scenario as you have a few countries already putting restrictions back in place, slowly.

One month can make total diference for signups and activity. I'll take September as a better starting month, than the 2-3 previous ones for activity purposes for the general public.

More than rules, star caps, structure, etc, the starting date will be key to grow the league. Overrush, and we'll have the same aging game paradox.

Get tanned papis.
                          Part-time goof, Part-time wild beast,
                          Your friend,
                          ​​Papi
                          ​​​​​

Comment

I think Stayon is right there is only to win to delay the start of the league and get the most amount of players to join and September is when most things restart it's the perfect date. I think it's not a bad strategy to keep the game at low speed for now to prepare for later. And if someone pop proposing to organise a sub league or list of events during the break it would be great for those that want to keep playing. I'm not interested to organise anything but play personally tho.

Comment

Delaying the season won't necessarily mean we go from 200 signups to 300... at a certain point signups get exponentially harder to get. Going from 8 to 10 teams is a massive change already. 12 teams may be possible though based off the quality of the signups so far.

It seems like we have a lot of people who want to cap, the ops will have to make calls on what is best for the league. it's also possible some caps aren't as interested as others, in the past a lot of people would volunteer under the condition of "only if needed".

Comment

Working...
                              X