Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WB Champions Visualized Over Time (1998-2020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WB Champions Visualized Over Time (1998-2020)

A few players pm'd me asking for the other leagues, so here is warbird.

The weights are 70% TWLD, 30% TWDT-D (10 points for a TWLD championship, 5 points for a TWLD runner-up, 3 points for a TWDT-D championship, etc.)

The data points are averaged over three years to give a nice, smooth continuity to each player's domination over an era. For example, the year 2007 is actually an average of a player's championship points from years 2006, 2007, and 2008.

After that process, anyone not in the Top 10-15 players for a calendar year was removed. Otherwise, there's 50 to 100 player's in a year eating up the space, destroying the viewability of the area map. You can view a larger image here.

It's worth noting there's no known boxscores of TWLD Seasons 1-5 (1998 to 2002), so those are just guesses based on the TWL History page. 2003 to 2020, however, is accurate.

top 100 basers list

look buddy. i realize im not going to get the respect that one would expect given how good i was back then - theres practically no records and the history has been lost and i disappeared from the game... but u have to understand that from the time when i truly came into form prob a few months before i joined elu, i never lost a duel... and its not like i wasnt dueling. ie. I was the closest thing you could call to the best WB dueler in this game, and when it was at the peak of its activity.

which is why a person would hold this opinion:
    https://forums.trenchwars.com/forum/...ge2#post102290

not only that, but i was posting amazing stats game in and game out.

the only stats from s5-s6 (which included me going something like 25-8 over two rounds against Light in playoffs) that are known to exist show me 8-5 in one round (https://forums.trenchwars.com/twl/40...week-2-of-twld) and ... the kicker... subbing in and going 6-3 in another. the latter being the last round of playoffs in the Elusive vs Rampage semifinals, as far as I know, the single biggest, most spectated and most anticipated game that has ever occured in the zone Trench Wars or the game Subspace Continuum (aside from RSHL s10 game 5 finals, 350ish ppl spectating, and also featuring Poseidon, this time scoring a game winning goal in double overtime [not the last time he would do this in OT of the final game-5 of RSHL championship]. You then look at at more recent history and see what happened in basing cup, and you notice a trend.)

https://forums.trenchwars.com/twl/5554-gg
    Why did such a pro WB like poseidon not start this game, you ask? Because I had quit TW... Week 2 was my last week before I got bored and left for HZ and didnt come back until Ramp vs Elu... so rampage had gone undefeated the whole season including thru the 1st round or two of playoffs without me... then I suddenly show up demanded to be put in, and Blood wouldnt do it despite Sudden's protests. Sudden ninja subs me in last round and I proceed to go 6-0, playing from behind most of the time, until its like 4v2 or sumpthin and we get overwhelemd

While we're at it, the only known TWLB stat line to exist from the first two seasons is this one: https://forums.trenchwars.com/twl/40...week-2-of-twlb ... no comment.

id also like to take a moment to say that the WBs back then were NOT as good as they are now. Perhaps the best of us could have held our own in a 5v5 (probably not), but in terms of DUELING, which is more of a pure skill based scenario, we would have gotten wiped, myself included, as the rushing meta was something that was just beginning to develop back then and people were not as good at it as Lasenza, Racka, Best... and... maybe vys? its that it? maybe.

The Mind of the Father
    Riding on the subtle guiders
    Which glitter with the inflexible tracings
    Of relentless Fire

Comment

and i realize im ranting and raving in a topic called "Champions Visualized" but its presented as if its a definitive Who's-Who of WBs over the last 20 years and to that point - it isnt accurate.

it would help if you included dueling... TWEL or something (which I won in 2002 before it was officially a league or "TWEL").

The better dueler is simply the more skilled pilot than the lobster who could manipulate his teammates to average 12-10 every game, and it should absoultely be accounted for if your trying to make a serious consideration of best WB pilots to play this game
      Last edited by Poseidon; 07-22-2020, 10:08 AM.

The Mind of the Father
      Of relentless Fire

Comment

your profile says you've won 0 lds, probably doesn't help your case. not that im disputing your claims about being a good dueler/player but most of the wbs in that list you linked were horrible players for many years before quitting.

Comment

Originally posted by zidane View Post
          your profile says you've won 0 lds, probably doesn't help your case. not that im disputing your claims about being a good dueler/player but most of the wbs in that list you linked were horrible players for many years before quitting.
          Not that I disagree and as I said above, people werent as good back then in gen... but when you rank "best duelers" by SQUAD.. "most" of the players are likely going to be considered as "horrible" when compared to the best of the best squads.. which at that time you acn see he lists as Raspi, Delectable, etc. .. not bad duelers.

The Mind of the Father
          Of relentless Fire

Comment

I was in Rampage for that finals loss (Sudden recruited me after Shriek dissolved midseason when a few members went emo). I remember the fight between Blood and Poseidon and can vouch that it happened even though at the time I didn’t really know Poseidon. That being said, this is a representation of league champions and Ogron doesn’t state anywhere that winning leagues equates to skill otherwise there would be others with more prominent areas on the map. Ripper is someone who comes to mind that was an absolute beast in twld that has nothing to show for it (both in rampage and then aliasing in dice sometime between 2006 - 2007). Others include tys, destroy, abstruct, etc.
            Dice
            TWLB Champions Season 8
            TWLJ Champions Season 8
            TWLB Champions Season 10
            TWLB Champions Season 11

Comment

Carry on

Comment

Originally posted by a2m+ View Post
                That being said, this is a representation of league champions and Ogron doesn't state anywhere that winning leagues equates to skill otherwise there would be others with more prominent areas on the map.
                Yes, exactly this, thank you.

It's really that simple. It's a visualization of champions and runner-ups in TWL and TWDT that I thought looks cool. Nothing more, nothing less.

top 100 basers list

Comment

Claushouse thanks for these. Is there a name for this particular type of graph? I like its aesthetics and I've never seen one like this before.

Also what does the % on the y-axis refer to?

Comment

Originally posted by Claushouse View Post

Yes, exactly this, thank you.

It's really that simple. It's a visualization of champions and runner-ups in TWL and TWDT that I thought looks cool. Nothing more, nothing less.

and as i stated:

and i realize im ranting and raving in a topic called "Champions Visualized" but its presented as if its a definitive Who's-Who of WBs over the last 20 years and to that point - it isnt accurate.

Any list of players, "visualization" or otherwise, which implies any certain group of players are the historically the "best players" (as this list does) is whack unless it incorporates 1v1 - the true measure of skill and technical ability. Many players on ur list sit back, lob shots, and systematically position themselves such that their teammates are more likely to be fired at than them; ie. they gain kills at the expense of the team dynamic. a lot of this has to do with the psychology of players obsessing over W-L record and exalting it in such a way that makes any other aspect of the game feel comparatively unimportant. and they can get away with it because there are never enough good pepole playing the game at any one time.

If you can imagine a universe where TWL is so popular that tens of thousands of people played and it was a legit e-sport, youd have a dramatic evolution of the meta and an influx of really good players who understand how to team and who are good at dueling and at zoning... if this were the case, those on this list above who are lobsters and subpar duelers, etc. would disappear into an oblivion of mediocrity, while teams and players who tend towards more team-aggro styles would dominate.

Similarly with Base, if the general player base was much better at the game, controlling their ship, greater awareness, etc. you'd see a drastic favor in teams with aggro spiders who have sharks that protect them and prioritize pushing into space/protection over trying to bomb.
                    I hvent been around for long but it appears already you see this, at least its what ive noticed, where newer-gen sharks like hulk, mcvicar, zidane, are more reliable to push with as a spid, whereas old-gen sharks tend to prioritize bombing and let it consume their full awareness, the result being that they make less space, slower; this is perhaps a significant part of why Thunder has been so dominant in TWLB
                    Last edited by Poseidon; 07-22-2020, 08:30 PM.

The Mind of the Father
                    Of relentless Fire

Comment

Originally posted by Pressure View Post
                      Claushouse thanks for these. Is there a name for this particular type of graph? I like its aesthetics and I've never seen one like this before.

Also what does the % on the y-axis refer to?
                      It's the 100% Stacked Area Chart in Google Docs.

With the following settings: Aggregate, Switch Rows/Columns, Use Column A as Headers in the Setup section, and in Customize> Chart Style using the Smooth option.

The % on the y-axis is the percentage of championship points you have in that calendar year out of the Top 15-ish players. The entire graphic is just a visual representation of the warbirds of this:

So I suppose the fatter (higher vertically) the player's area in a given season, the larger share of championship points they won. But when there are ties you might end up with 17 players in the year 2007 while there are 14 in 2008, meaning even if you had the same amount of points in both years, your bar would be slightly shorter in 2007, so I wouldn't exactly pull out a ruler and start measuring.

In theory, the most total area means the most total winning. In terms of total area the order would be: 1) Ease 2) Deez Nuts 3) Skepsis 4) Mythril 5) Racka 6) Apok 7) Geisha 8) Burnt 9) Lasenza 10) Raspi, although because of human perception my guess is people would underestimate longer, thinner bars total area and overestimate the fatter, vertical areas.

It seems like Crome has a larger surface area (to my eye, at least) than Lasenza at a glance, but the google docs sheet indicates he has 33 total points and Lasenza has 46, which is actually a massive difference.

It's just meant to be a fun visual way to present the data and see where players pop up in what eras. glad you liked it!
                      top 100 basers list

Comment

Can you add the 1-10 Poseidon had today in you sheet ogron? Thanks
                        TWLD 2016 Champion
                        TWDTD champion x 3
                        Potenza 4 LIFE

Comment

No one was better than Riv in his prime. Maybe vt before he started feeding his cat during playoff games
                          TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

That visual looks like my fat hairy ass clownhouse
                            https://twd.trenchwars.org/showgame/90112596

Retired after i dropped 24 kills and carry the team

wbduel Map Maker Legend

Comment

Working...
                            X