No announcement yet.

Ratings changes for next season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we stop pretending it's a 10-point system then and just subtract five points from every person's rating and divide the cap by 2 and just put it on a 1-5 scale. It just seems pointlessly inflated.
    Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
    Message has been sent to online moderators
    2:BLeeN> veh yes
    (Overstrand)>no
    2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
    2:BLeeN> ok then no
    :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
    (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Comment

I think there would be no point in switching to 1-5 scale unless we completely change the way ratings and lineup limits work. It would likely mean reverting back to "slots" for each team which has its clear flaws. No one would be rated as 1-star, and current 6 and 6.5 stars would probably be 2-stars.

Unfortunately there's no solution that I can see which would satisfy players across all skill levels. We could try making lineup limits more fair by balancing the amount of players expected to bench in each star category.

Comment

Originally posted by Vehicle View Post
        Can we stop pretending it's a 10-point system then and just subtract five points from every person's rating and divide the cap by 2 and just put it on a 1-5 scale. It just seems pointlessly inflated.
        1-5 with a 20* cap is not the same as 6-10 with a 40* cap.

Comment

Originally posted by uprise View Post
          1-5 with a 20* cap is not the same as 6-10 with a 40* cap.
          why is that?

even if it is the same, I wouldn't put a bunch of dev work on someone for no clear benefit.

I'd be interested to see a season where star ratings are assigned by the draft rather than before the draft. Round 1=10, Round 2=9, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Turban View Post
            In hindsight we could've probably had an extra team once again.
            Of course we could of had two extra teams, there was enough signups, to make it a 12 team season with 15-20 per roster.

But the fear of people going away (summer started with less restrictive Covid measures), resulted on a huge eagerness to start it. Not just the staff, but players overall. The league has been pretty fine, but overall, the zone in the last 1/2 months has clearly been more inactive. It's just not people going out due to Covid restrictions slowing down, it's the summer, and people will eventually have days they can't show.

Why start on the middle of the summer and risk inactivity and no-showings. Whilst it will happen to most teams, it would of been better reducing the risk for all teams as well. The hype could decrease a bit during the small wait, but it would of never go away...afterall, it's September and we're all here.

In a few years, when logging on to SS, and TW showing as the only green zone, we will still see some of the same old faces, as it's a full-time job for some, especially late-bloomers. So there's no need to fear anything, really. This is virtually an imortal game. I'll enjoy logging in when I'm about 60 years old, with my old ass slow time reactions, but with a smile to give and my daughter graciously flying the lev ship on pub.

Look at how many leagues (most probably fun) this zone had these last 3 years. I wasn't here, but other than just one TWL during this period, everything was in excess...TWSL's, 2 TWDT's per year, Basing Cups and probably other things.

Once too repetitive, this takes value from such leagues, Don't think rushing is a reciept for sucess, despite 90% of this was very smooth.

Huge thanks to Wirah and Willby and good work by Beam, Heaven, Biet, Qan and so on, for an entertaining, structured and well done league.

Edit: The ratings in a sense could be entirely scrapped out, it's more of an issue with quantity of players per team (the oldest problem TWL and TWDT have), rather than ratings themselves, imo.
            Last edited by Stayon; 09-11-2020, 12:47 PM.
            Part-time goof, Part-time wild beast,
            Your friend,
            ​​Papi
            ​​​​​

Comment

And this is why nothing ever changes in government. It's whatever, the zone is so insulated and inbred whatever ratings system you use will still result in the same people who play every season playing. (Not even really a complaint, just a fact.)

I just think the .5 system is dumb and I think if we have a 10-star system we should use the 10 stars. I also fail to understand how it would make any difference to just halve everything. But I will admit to not really knowing what I'm talking about. I just think it's dumb.

I also think the current ratings are broken. Like, for example, I haven't played more than 2 jds in a decade and can't go positive for my life, but when the next set of ratings come around, I'm gonna still be a 7. I've never played a serious twdd in my 32 years on this earth. Rating? 7.

If you got rid of 1/2 stars and started using the full range of available whole numbers, I think it might make things a little less dumb than they currently are.
              Last edited by Vehicle; 09-11-2020, 12:52 PM.
              (Overstrand)>no

Comment

Ratings this season have been more than sufficient, albeit after some growing pains with the 0.5 system and draft.

Refining and sharpening the current rating system would be significantly better than coming up with a completely new system.

Also, feedback from captains should be considered as priority over players' feedback, since players unfortunately do not have the same perspective here, especially given the changes this season, and especially since there are veteran players who are already generously underrated in their preferred league yet still criticizing the ratings (and are therefore biased).

Comment

May as well go with a tier system ranging from S-tier to D-tier. Using TWLJ as an example with hypothetically four to five super competitive teams.

S-tier players would be Top 10 in their league and are players teams would build around for a championship worthy squad. These players are capable of having big games and tend to have very consistent performances. Competitive teams would have two or three of these players. These players are 10-star or high 9.5-star in the current system.

Example players: Ease, Turban, Zidane, Rough, Steadman, Stayon, Commodo, Dreamwin, Ro, RaCka, and Saiyan.

A-tier players would be Top 11 to 30 in their league and would be essentially 3rd to 5th best players in a TWLJ lineup. Slightly lower skill ceiling than the players listed above, but still very good players with potential to carry at times. These players are low 9.5 to 8.5-stars in the current system.

Example players: Best, Tiny, Morph, Maketso, Kess, Trasher, Roiwerk, Kado, 24, Aprix, Amnesti, Mythril, Uprise, Spawnisen, Mean Gene, Yeh, and so forth.

B-tier players would be Top 31 to 60 in their league and rarely featured in a championship lineup. Potential pinch substitutions who are expected to go close to 1:1 average ratio in a highly competitive setting. These players are 8.5 to 7.5-stars in the current system.

Example players: Jamal, Kim, Vys, Zizzo, Skatarius, Creature, Kira_Yamato, Ardour, Temujin, Mikkiz, Paradise, Tsunami, Jurassic, Cripple, Lockdown, and so on.

C-tier players would be top 61 to 120 in their league with very limited TWL and competitive TWDT experience. You can't expect more than 7 kills from most of these players against good teams, but they aren't bad enough to be unplayable. This is the most common category of players with players ranging from 7.5 to high 6.5-stars in the current system.

Example players: Ogron, a2m, Dwopple, Banks, Major Crisis, Flew, Spectacular, Geio, Bacon, Rab, Heaven, Dak, Diakka, Props, Autopilot, Bugyswartz, Beast, Poid, Beam, Cloth, Rasaq, Bram, Lionheart, Hellkite, Ra, Weak, Vehicle, and so on.

D-tier players would be essentially all the remaining players. Limited to absolutely no experience in the league, you can't expect more than 5 kills from these players in a highly competitive setting. Some might be completely unplayable, but its not worth having an extra tier for a handful of players. These players are low 6.5 to 6-stars in the current system.

In TWDT you could limit teams to having one S-tier player, one A-tier player, one B-tier player, and two C-tier players. It would also be possible to maybe increase format to be 6 vs 6 to allow a D-tier player to be added to the mix.

Comment

Captains from this season's opinions should be heavily weighted towards re-rating and only one person who participated in rating people this season should participate in rating people next season.

Again, though, you could make all 9.5s 9s, 9s become 8s, 8.5s become 7s, etc. etc. etc. and then you don't need a fractional system AND you're using all the numbers.

But I'm just going to stop posting. I'm obviously in the minority here and don't have nearly enough clout to change anyone's mind.
                    (Overstrand)>no

Comment

turb - isn't that basically what we already do, just with numbers instead of weeb tiers?

veh - it ain't about clout, ppl just think ur idea sux, < 3 tho

Wirah forum emotes totally busted btw, think the last upgrade nuked them

Comment

The ratings system is sort of irrelevant and doesn't need to be a perfect method of skill evaluation it's just there to balance lineups and as long as each player within a value is relatively close in skill it will accomplish that goal. We switched to a .5 system this year because there was too much variance within star ratings in previous seasons which led to some players being either rated too low and being insane value or rated too high and being unplayable. The .5 system made it so we could rate these people in the middle and that way they are still playable and if they happened to outperform it would only be by .5 not an entire star.

As for the low star guys complaining that they don't get added, all you have to do is practice a little. I got rated a 7* this year which is a rating I've benched at like 10 twdt seasons in a row and just by playing some jd's at night I've managed to be a solid option in that slot. A couple months ago I'd have said I was a 6* jav for sure. When I look at Rab/Vehicle's twd history and see actual 0 games of dd/jd it's hard for me to sympathize with your plights that you are rated too high when you just refuse to play those ships and want to show up on Sundays and be added. Historically when that has been done for people it led to broken ratings when those guys actually began practicing.
                        Jessup> saiyan and i had steamy cyber sex once

Streak Breaker Grizzly Beam

Don't Poke the Bear.

Comment

beam twd history doesn't work when you're squadless and play borrowed all the time btw, basically the whole twd website thinks u don't exist when ur squadless. I have plenty of games played, you just can't see them. It might be an advantage to be squadless when ratings are being decided because it removes data from the people making the ratings. I did report the bug and even offered to try and fix it, but nothing came of it.

Edit: also, with timezones as they are, when rating euros you need to consider elim/javduel just as much as twd, coz by the time twd gets going in the USA evening it's bed time for EU. With there only being time for 1-2 twd games per day, I have to choose between basing and other divisions, and basing is the priority for me obvs.
                          Last edited by Rab; 09-11-2020, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rab View Post
                            veh - it ain't about clout, ppl just think ur idea sux, < 3 tho
                            Fair
                            (Overstrand)>no

Comment

Originally posted by Vehicle View Post
                              Fair
                              Vehicle your ideas aren't "bad", it's just that you've been proposing big changes and alterations under the assumption that the rating system is terribly broken, when it isn't. You shouldn't stop providing your opinion since it's useful and constructive to the league to bring your ideas to light.
                              Last edited by Pressure; 09-11-2020, 02:49 PM.

Comment

i don't know why we have to explain this every season.

6* to 10* is a 1* to 10* scale.

the league simply gives players who are 1* to 6* a 6* rating. this means unknowns like EGers, newer players, can't ruin the league if they turn out to be really good or improve over several months. Going from a 3* to a 6* can happen very quickly. Players from other leagues can pick up Trench Wars incredibly fast.

You're protecting the integrity of the league by refusing to rate anyone lower than 6. It is not simply a 1 to 5 scale. It is a 1 to 10 scale, and if you're below 6* you get 6* anyway.

The system makes perfect sense, 0.5 granularity has improved the league, and no matter how good any system or TWDT op is, people will complain anyway.

/thread
                                top 100 basers list

Comment

Working...
                                X