Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would happen in the playoffs?

Comment

• can you make the bots do something crazy instead? give an incentive to playing with lower stars. hell, remove the star caps altogether and instead only make the difference between the two teams star caps matter. give the team with the fewer stars in the game a bonus over the other team that scales with the difference. in a base game, that would be time. set the high star team to 15 minutes and then the lower star team a number that corresponds to the difference. would have to look at some games to see what lineups do what but it could be there.

same as in wb and jav, just take away a few deaths from the other team. the team with the lower cap gets 50 deaths while the team that pushed it over gets fewer distributed somehow. caps can then select their super top lines when they want to but other caps can play a lower star line that doesnt need to do quite as much.

its essentially handicapping the league. no idea whether bots can do this.

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

• Top-ranked amateur team at playoff commencement gets a wildcard slot in the full playoffs That's how we did it in DSBL anyway IIRC, when we started up an 'Amateur' tier. Ofc they got trashed, but it was a fun reward to face off against the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zeebu View Post
          can you make the bots do something crazy instead? give an incentive to playing with lower stars. hell, remove the star caps altogether and instead only make the difference between the two teams star caps matter. give the team with the fewer stars in the game a bonus over the other team that scales with the difference. in a base game, that would be time. set the high star team to 15 minutes and then the lower star team a number that corresponds to the difference. would have to look at some games to see what lineups do what but it could be there.

same as in wb and jav, just take away a few deaths from the other team. the team with the lower cap gets 50 deaths while the team that pushed it over gets fewer distributed somehow. caps can then select their super top lines when they want to but other caps can play a lower star line that doesnt need to do quite as much.

its essentially handicapping the league. no idea whether bots can do this.

In DSBL we incentivised lower-skilled and unknown players by calling them Rookies. There was a strict squad limit of regular players, but you could have unlimited rookies. It was a 12v12 format though, so the impact of having to field one was slightly watered down, they wouldn't have been as exposed as they would be in TWDT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pressure View Post

That conclusion cannot be made from the provided data alone. It is definitely not as black and white as described, and mean/average is a poor statistic to use here given the heterogeneity of number of players at each rating. Median may be more useful here.
            What the statistics establish is that the average starter is much closer to the average uncapped starter's rating than to the average player's rating. Median average would produce broadly the same results.

Originally posted by Pressure View Post
            Most lineups in most games do contain multiple players (both lower rated players and higher rated players) that would never start in an uncapped starting lineup.
            Taking the current pool of TWDT players, and assuming a) ratings are accurate, and b) talent is distributed evenly amongst 10 teams, every single 8.5 player and above would start in an uncapped TWDTJ. And a couple of 8* also. I also think you would get some players 'floating up' from the lower tier to the top tier within a single season.

Originally posted by Pressure View Post
            Your proposal to have first games capped and second games uncapped (or vice versa) is interesting. However, there is potential for this dynamic to lead to a bunch of truly garbage games (basing would likely be a disaster). I would personally dislike it, as I'd prefer to play both games in my preferred league rather than sit to watch a glorified pub/?go base match.
            Nothing wrong with glorified ?go base if you're a 7* who never usually plays. I would personally enjoy seeing low stars battle it out.
            You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• Originally posted by MHz View Post

What the statistics establish is that the average starter is much closer to the average uncapped starter's rating than to the average player's rating. Median average would produce broadly the same results.

Taking the current pool of TWDT players, and assuming a) ratings are accurate, and b) talent is distributed evenly amongst 10 teams, every single 8.5 player and above would start in an uncapped TWDTJ. And a couple of 8* also. I also think you would get some players 'floating up' from the lower tier to the top tier within a single season.

Nothing wrong with glorified ?go base if you're a 7* who never usually plays. I would personally enjoy seeing low stars battle it out.
              Most people probably wouldn't remember this (cripple probably does), but in 2004/2005 I tried to organize a league called TWIB/TWIL (Trench Wars Intermediate Leagues/Basing). It was back when there were enough low- and mid-tier squads not qualifying for TWL that a separate league could be made. It was unsuccessful, but probably because of a lack of organization/resources. May work now, but I seriously doubt the population is large enough.

Comment

• i think for basing it should be how it is now, but for dueling it should be 1 game uncapped 1 game cap w/ an average of 7 or 7.5* per spot

Comment

• This thread is so derailed...

Interesting ideas from commodo.

The high stars have their own league: TWL
                  DT seems to be great for mid level players, 8s, 8.5s.

We don't really have something for low tier players. It is really hard to even get borrowed in TWD as a 6 or a 7. Pub is a disaster to practice anything. This leaves ?go elim, which is okay for Warbird and Javelin practice, but sort of promotes the wrong styles of playing in my opinion. There isn't anywhere to actually practice basing. We should have some sort of regular event specifically for low * players to improve their gameplay. Aren't you guys tired of seeing the same names winning stuff all the time? Let's help the noobs out!
                  Siaxis> yo it was way harder to kill Rage then beam in that dtd

rylo> 1.5 mil for whoever kills renzi
                  (10 seconds later)
                  rEnZi is out. 17 kills 10 deaths. 2 players remain.
                  P TW-Pub> rylo sent you $1,500,000, you now have $4,047,199.

If you're going to do a thing you should to it to the best of your ability or don't do it at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by viop11 View Post
                    i think for basing it should be how it is now, but for dueling it should be 1 game uncapped 1 game cap w/ an average of 7 or 7.5* per spot

Quoted because normal
                    TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

• Double wb/jav on sundays is like the only thing most vets play nowadays. Not sure i think it is a good idea to reduce the amount of good games that are played, but i agree it would be good for something to specifically cater to lowstars so they have a chance to play and improve.

Comment

• I still think more teams is the easiest solution to letting more people play (high and low stars), barring a few issues. The biggest problem of having more teams is the amount of players needed for WB/JAV vs Base is pretty significant. Combined with the lack of sharks / terrs etc. I'm not sure how that can be balanced without splitting off base in some way. Just seems a shame to not engage as many players as possible. I know if I only got to play 0-25% of the time, I wouldn't bother.

Willing captains has been brought up as an issue in the past. Seems like we had people more or less begging to be captains this last time. 8.3.4

Comment

• Originally posted by Jurassic View Post
                          I still think more teams is the easiest solution to letting more people play (high and low stars), barring a few issues. The biggest problem of having more teams is the amount of players needed for WB/JAV vs Base is pretty significant. Combined with the lack of sharks / terrs etc. I'm not sure how that can be balanced without splitting off base in some way. Just seems a shame to not engage as many players as possible. I know if I only got to play 0-25% of the time, I wouldn't bother.

Willing captains has been brought up as an issue in the past. Seems like we had people more or less begging to be captains this last time. 8.3.4
                          I think there are enough people to terr or shark but they dont get the chance. Also because for example ogron wouldnt be worth sharking as a 10*. Same with many others. There arent much players who would preform the same in every ship as their rating.

Comment

• Originally posted by Majorcrisis2 View Post

I think there are enough people to terr or shark but they dont get the chance. Also because for example ogron wouldnt be worth sharking as a 10*. Same with many others. There arent much players who would preform the same in every ship as their rating.
                            But if you have Ogron on your team you don't put him in Shark, you put him in Terrier. He CAN play all 3, but there is a big difference in his ability among the 3 ships and for 10* it be a waste to not put him in his best ship.
                            Siaxis> yo it was way harder to kill Rage then beam in that dtd

rylo> 1.5 mil for whoever kills renzi
                            (10 seconds later)
                            rEnZi is out. 17 kills 10 deaths. 2 players remain.
                            P TW-Pub> rylo sent you $1,500,000, you now have $4,047,199.

If you're going to do a thing you should to it to the best of your ability or don't do it at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jurassic View Post
                              I still think more teams is the easiest solution to letting more people play (high and low stars), barring a few issues. The biggest problem of having more teams is the amount of players needed for WB/JAV vs Base is pretty significant. Combined with the lack of sharks / terrs etc. I'm not sure how that can be balanced without splitting off base in some way. Just seems a shame to not engage as many players as possible. I know if I only got to play 0-25% of the time, I wouldn't bother.

yep more teams. 10 teams in fantasy football isnt fun but 12.. thats where its at.
                              unless your viop and run 14 man league.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nipple Nibbler View Post
                                But if you have Ogron on your team you don't put him in Shark, you put him in Terrier. He CAN play all 3, but there is a big difference in his ability among the 3 ships and for 10* it be a waste to not put him in his best ship.
                                I think that's the point.
                                base game 1 - higher star cap - you terr ogron
                                base game 2 - lower star cap - you spid/shark ogron [requires ship-specific ratings]

Comment

Working...
                                X